[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

13 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

What i didnt like is when ML says something like that she must treat GTY like he's him ( her dad ). GTY and her dad are completely different person. Not all men are the same but yea i understand why ML is like this but its still upsetting.

More sad than upset for me really. 

Does show she's still wary of everyone...

Having said that, I can see her pov tho. 

GTY has his flaws. He's unbridled, and could be temperamental. 

And ML is still trying to figure him out. 

We see there are a few times ML actually asked "are you mad?". 

Like the raining scene, until the end, she still doesn't know what he wants...

So as much as GTY is upset that she's not telling him everything and he told her he can't read her, the same can be said for ML. 

She's also still learning to read him. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

Ohhhhhh oh my god. And i here thinking dirty wtf. I knew GTY wouldnt do that with her too cus he loves ML. Lol you guys are smart and know how to use the right words to describe things, i always feel dumb in these threads

Hahaha... ML was also afraid that if he spends the night with her, she will ask another thing or plan something else as MN is very schemy.. Let's hope their plan won't fail 

5 minutes ago, MarJo_Lei said:
It's hard to find this type of drama where female lead turn out to be in spotlight  , how the she uses her wittiness and cleverness to rules out all the unforseen plan from her path..
--------------------
tumblr_plrnp1ZQKU1r1my6mo1_500.giftumblr_plrnp1ZQKU1r1my6mo2_500.giftumblr_plrnp1ZQKU1r1my6mo3_500.gif

get yourself a man like this

tumblr_plrnp1ZQKU1r1my6mo4_500.gif

I love this scene, it was full of understanding from both of them.. I need to be a string willed woman like minglan and have a dedicated and loving man like GTY

11 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

More sad than upset for me really. 

Does show she's still wary of everyone...

Having said that, I can see her pov tho. 

GTY has his flaws. He's unbridled, and could be temperamental. 

And ML is still trying to figure him out. 

We see there are a few times ML actually asked "are you mad?". 

Like the raining scene, until the end, she still doesn't know what he wants...

So as much as GTY is upset that she's not telling him everything and he told her he can't read her, the same can be said for ML. 

She's also still learning to read him. 

Just want them to be happy :wub:

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

From the preview, it seems like the stabbing of GTY will happen soon. In one scene GTY said to ML that MN wants him for another night. And the next scene when GTY was talking to ML, he has a bandage with blood across his chest. 

Reckon MN tried to stab him during their "night" together. 

And MN gets thrown into the storeroom?

The outfit both GTY and Maniang has on matches the stabbing scene so that may be right.

13 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

Just want them to be happy :wub:

Me too. 

It's heartbreaking to see the rift between them. But I reckon it's even more heartwarming to see how they can rise above it all, and finally love, rely, respect and protect each other. As equals. 

PS. U are hilarious in thinking GTY will sleep with MN again. :lol: 

Up to Ep 44-45 w/Eng subs:

Well, I wanted to see them married and living happily together.  Just not so much.  All the household blather:  servants, properties, servants fighting, aye-yi-yi.  It's a lot. 

And WHAT IS UP w/the pesky step-mother-in-law dropping by whenever to give orders?  Can't she just stay home?  Can't we all just get along?  

Moral of the story:  watch what you wish for, you could get it.

Let's move the story along, enough household drudgery.  

32 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Hahaha... ML was also afraid that if he spends the night with her, she will ask another thing or plan something else as MN is very schemy.. Let's hope their plan won't fail 

I love this scene, it was full of understanding from both of them.. I need to be a string willed woman like minglan and have a dedicated and loving man like GTY

I think the plan didn't work. It seems that there's a scene where ML actually speak to MN and swear that they won't harm her as long as she tells where the son is but she refuses?

And then it seems like ML suggested to let MN go because it might lead to the son's whereabouts when she looks for the son? 

Not sure my understanding is correct. 

4 hours ago, m0us3y said:

I think the plan didn't work. It seems that there's a scene where ML actually speak to MN and swear that they won't harm her as long as she tells where the son is but she refuses?

And then it seems like ML suggested to let MN go because it might lead to the son's whereabouts when she looks for the son? 

Not sure my understanding is correct. 

I think Maniang (MN) blackmailed to become concubine and spend one night with GTY to get pregnant again...haha :P GTY told ML that he would trick MN to believe that she will get her wish so that she will tell him where the son is. ML told GTY that this Zhu Maniang is very conniving, now she is requesting to be with him one night but she might continue to ask one request after another, her requests will be never ending and she can't be trusted. It seems GTY went along with his plan of pretending to give MN's requests. When MN realized that she has been tricked and GTY would not touch her, she stabbed him and she was thrown into storage room. ML went to speak with MN saying that she would treat Chan'er (the son) well, swearing on her dead mother, she asked MN to tell her where he is. However, MN calls ML little b...and tells her to go look for the son underneath the ground (meaning the son is dead).

I can't believe how lowly and wicked MN is.  She is even jealous of her own daughter having a good life living comfortably with her father Hou Ye at Hou Fu (I guess oldest brother already died and GTY is Marquis when Maniang was brought back). She accused her daughter of living in comfort while she was wandering around poor. The daughter said she doesn’t mind living at the mountain or village with her. Ma Niang then told her daughter why she needs to leave, she wants the daughter to live with ML so that she can be reminded to ML that she wasn’t born of ML but of her Maniang. She wants ML to get angry everytime she sees the daughter and ML can no longer pretend to be well-behaved, virtuous aristocratic woman. When Rong'er asked her about her brother, however, MN also said he is dead. It is very obvious she is having the kids just to manipulate and hold on to GTY via them. She doesn't really love her children at all!!

8 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

I think Maniang (MN) requested to become concubine and spend one night with GTY to get pregnant again...haha :P

That's the first thing I thought of as well.  If she does get pregnant, she'll have one more irrefutable claim on him and the entire length of the pregnancy to try and get back on his good side.  GTY won't fall for her charms again. 

3 hours ago, m0us3y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I loved her insight on that too. 

But it's also quite sad because we could see GTY was also quite sad. 

But it seemed the show indicated that she is the way she is because of the dad, as the maid pointed out that she seems to be talking about the dad instead. 

Good point about GTY should take note tho. Don't expect too much in return...

I do think you're right. They are both misunderstood, misaligned slightly. 

But it's still early days for them. They have a solid foundation to build on, so with time, trials and tribulations, they will get there...

Yes, because she grew up to see SH with a change of heart. Every man has their own predicament. Who knew that SH would fall in love with CL. Who knew that Big Madam will buy CW to try to balance SH love for CL. She saw how the days are like for Big Madam and she doesn’t want to live like her. 

Pretry much every man is like that in their time. They must share their love towards different woman. GTY, QH, And Rl’s Wen husband are one of the rare that only love their main wife... 

45th episode:

The bath scene, ml found traces of blood on gty's shirt. Really worried and speedily check her hubb's body for wounds.Then stopped the husband from taking bath bcoz of the house was not perfectly seal, afraid gty will catch cold.. This little scene concerned are the evidence that she has soften towards him a lot.. Gty just have to be patience, cultivate the relationship. Love will not be far in the future. 

The same episode, he was teasing her about a story of a man who has an illicit affairs. The wife found out and plot a revenge vs the hubby and put a little herbs in the hubby's foods called "spring grass". Gty said that if i do the same, you can use the same on me. My life in your hands.. The jokes is, the spring grass herbs actually is an approdiasic (ha ha.. The woman's hubby maybe died because overexertion, not becoz of poison):D

On 1/23/2019 at 2:11 AM, dito said:

I guess he was upset because it started raining and ML didn't think about sending a servant with umbrella for GTY. To a husband that'd feel like the wife doesn't care about him. 

She did send him an umbrella with a servant.  It is just that he cannot use umbrella while riding on horse.

@m0us3y @fra8

For those wandering the answer GTY wanted from ML after he caught rain, I think it might just be an oversight/ mistake on dialogues between GTY and ML. In the book, the answer GTY wanted ML to say was "I will come to pick you up at the palace gate in horse carriage". Since ML already told him she would pick him up in carriage next time it rains, I'm not sure what else GTY could be expecting. Then, he let her hug him by lying down on her thighs and kiss her. So, it might be a script error :D or writers just wanna create little lover spat between them. :D :P 

11 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

On the scene where Gu Ting Ye beg leniency for his brother and cousins that he will also accept thecsame punishment in the share of whipping and even exile, did you see the worry look in Qi Heng's face. 

I think it was more like "can't believe" look, not with bad intentions. In the preview, when his wife asked him about GTY's leniency request, he explained to his wife the emperor was trying to punish Gu brothers just an example for others involve in rebellion. QH doesn't seem to be ill-intended. He just seems to be analyzing from a middle person point of view. After his explanation, he then told his wife not to involve in political discussion as it is not women's place to involve in politics. 

I don't know he will be on empress dowager's side in the future as ML mentioned in today's episode that her father told her Qi family is on empress dowager's side as ED gives favor to Yong Wang's sons and grandchildren, QH was married to YW's daughter before and QH's father used to work with ED's older brother. However, so far, QH seems to be just doing his job.  

Also, in today's episode, it was shown that QH's wife didn't go to Gu's house to telltale on ML. It was 5th aunt going to Qi house to bribe the wife for her son. QH's wife then conveniently told the aunt about ML's former association with He family. That was before she found the clay dolls pair. I hope like in the book,she won't do anything more drastic.

Translation (A few scenes are overlapped between previews).

Spoiler

GTY:  emperor, please forgive me (Huan wang standing on the side). I needed to help protect Gu's brothers in order to erase bad names created for my biological mother Bai shi by Gu family, to get her praised in Gu family ancestor's records as well as to get her noble women title. 

Xiang Mama: Thank you.

Guard: We wish we do not need to see Gu brother again.(wishing for him not getting arrested again)

Xmm:Thanks for your kind words. Hope so too.

step-mom: Ting wei: got beaten?

QH: A couple of days before, GTY requested leniency for Gu brothers at the imperial court (in an elaborate manner, not in private). Emperor was trying to punish Gu brothers just as an example for others who involved in rebellion (idiom used here: killing chickens to show to monkey). However, since GTY asking for leniency like this, emperor has to give face to GTY who has been helping him/ great relationship with him even before becoming emperor. 

[continuation of this conversation below is in different preview:

QH: Giving this favor by granting GTY's request cause potential harm to the emperor, giving a strike (negative) for him in empress dowager's book being able to catch as one of his wrong doing. 

QH's wife: No wonder we didn't see GTY couple at his oldest brother funeral parlor (I guess oldest brother already passed away). I'm afraid they're hiding inside the house being afraid and pissed.

QH: This is imperial political discussion. It is not women's place to involve in politics.

QH wife: Looking at him, I guess my lord husband is still not being able to forget Sheng daniang zi (ML).]

GTY: We aren't related, why're you calling me second uncle like Ranluo (as we know, QH's mother and GTY are distant cousins, so GTY is QH's distant uncle). WHy aren't you follow CB and call me second lan (brother) 

MN: Gu Lan, don't you no longer want our children.

GTY: Where is my son Chan'er?

MN: If Gu Lan accepts me as concubine and my name is recorded in ancestry book, you will eventually see Chan'er. 

45 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Sometimes Even the best noblest men are weak when a beautiful insistent crafty woman they have history with is trying to seduce them. And he is used to having an active sex life. Just saying.

*Ahem* I thought he still is enjoying a pretty healthy one with his lil fox ML? 

With all the mattress and blanket cleaning shown. :lol:

Also during those days, the man of his status normally has his own bedroom? Just wondering, cuz clearly he's in her bedroom every night, and we see ML helping him get ready in the morning. :lol::rolleyes:

1 hour ago, RobinM said:

Sometimes Even the best noblest men are weak when a beautiful insistent crafty woman they have history with is trying to seduce them. And he is used to having an active sex life. Just saying.

I dunno, seems he just resumes his active sex life with ml.. No need mn:lol:

@m0us3y u beat me.. Ha ha

33 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Also during those days, the man of his status normally has his own bedroom? Just wondering, cuz clearly he's in her bedroom every night, and we see ML helping him get ready in the morning. :lol::rolleyes:

In ancient China, male head of household shared the bedroom with big madam. He didn't have his own bedroom. If he had a row with his wife and concubines and didn't want to see them, he could retreat to his study and slept there. That's what GTY did in the novel.

9 hours ago, bulubulu said:

What i didnt like is when ML says something like that she must treat GTY like he's him ( her dad ). GTY and her dad are completely different person. Not all men are the same but yea i understand why ML is like this but its still upsetting.

Anyone can correct me here but. What if Ming Lan treats him like this because she already cares for him. I can’t remember who said that Ming Lan doesn’t hate her father ( At the time i felt that she does hate him but this comment made some good point on why she think ML loves her dad). So if she choose to treat him that way must be because she does care and is just too afraid of giving her heart completely from fear of being disappointing because it can break her. Yes GTY and Sheng Hong are completely different but For ML emotionally they are the same betof her feeling for them. Does this make sense??

Archived