Jump to content

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, danatepe said:

That`s right.But why can`t she fully trust him.I think she cant compare GTY with her father.they`re totally different!!!.but also in her head she didn`t know any men expect her father so she is like that with GTY.she like that he cares for his children that`s why she said i hoped my father with like you!!

I think that she is afraid that one day GTY will have a concubine and that`s why she can`t fully give her heart and open her heart to him yet.right? she`s afraid of being disappointment and having pain when that day come..right?

When the concubine issue started to come up (like a day after their wedding) you could sense that ML was VERY uncomfortable. I understand that it was a "common" thing back then to have the main wife and all others, but a woman in "those days" is the same as the woman "today"... one man- one woman...I mean like it would take some EXTREME self-control to not be hurt or jealous that there is another woman who is waiting for your man in another room (and that it's OKAY).....as the topic of concubine became like an ongoing thing for her "elders" to try and force her to accept--- I can't help but feel that although she is all smiling and happy and saying things like " as long as it is someone I can get along with- I'll accept her" ---- that deep down ML is about to explode with jealousy and she has all the right to feel that way. She hasn't even had her General to herself and here people were trying to make her share =D

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

QH should realize the entire blame for bringing ML and GTY together lies on his own head. Who told him to pray for a good husband for ML at the Youqing Monastery? Thats why they say.... be c

adorable couple ============  

Aunti Kang short biography:   Back then when Aunti Kang and Wang Daniang were still single. For various reasons, Daniang was brought up by their grandparents while Aunti Kang grew up with th

15 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

But why he suggested gty to divorce ml? And how come the wife of the brother has the right to pass the title. The title supposed to go to the closest male descendent upon the death of  the brother, which is gty. 

 

Elder brother might be using it as a  negotiating tactic with GTY.He knows step mom and GTY both want the title.He thinks his family's  future will be more secure with GTY, so he is dangling the carrot (Marquis title) in exchange for marriage.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@leeza77 My guess he wants his wife a child protected and wife still to carry the title of his,, He got a lot of nerve. Why should he become Father to his niece.. I'm sure GTY and ML would see to it that she marries well.. Some widows were sent back to there family homes back then so she could re-marry out and yet she's trying to cling on to her title.. I don't know who is the worst her or evil Mdm.. She was so worried about GTY taking her husbands title when it was his to begin with.. Now to marry the same brother she help plot against not thinking ahead when her husband past what kind of safety net she or her husband has in plan for them.. GTY should them both to kick cans.. How dare they suggest to divorce his wife unbelievable.. It's sounds to me that his wife is and opportunist use the title to force him to divorce and she gets to keep her position.. Why even stay with the GU's when she don't have a son any way.. This is the time to run to the border away from all this crazy mess but yet she wants to stay because of a title get real will ya.. I wouldn't be suprised if step mom had those servants feeding her something that may have caused her not to get pregnant ever again.. 

@ForgottenSoulx  She found those dolls that QH had for him and ML.. Both initials or nanes were on the very bottom of the porcelin dolls which he had pck away very nicely..

 

She tattled about Dr.He though so how does that have to do with the doll's, i meant how did she find out about Dr.He.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Elder brother might be using it as a  negotiating tactic with GTY.He knows step mom and GTY both want the title.He thinks his family's  future will be more secure with GTY, so he is dangling the carrot (Marquis title) in exchange for marriage.

 

Do you mean in exchange of divorcing ml..? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, shem1 said:

When the concubine issue started to come up (like a day after their wedding) you could sense that ML was VERY uncomfortable. I understand that it was a "common" thing back then to have the main wife and all others, but a woman in "those days" is the same as the woman "today"... one man- one woman...I mean like it would take some EXTREME self-control to not be hurt or jealous that there is another woman who is waiting for your man in another room (and that it's OKAY).....as the topic of concubine became like an ongoing thing for her "elders" to try and force her to accept--- I can't help but feel that although she is all smiling and happy and saying things like " as long as it is someone I can get along with- I'll accept her" ---- that deep down ML is about to explode with jealousy and she has all the right to feel that way. She hasn't even had her General to herself and here people were trying to make her share =D

I feel that too. she always try to hide her true feeling.her really honest feeling that she want to tell to GTY.that`s why she always agree to a lot of things that goes around him.don`t want to make things more complicated.that`s shown exactly is her conversations.it made him doubt that she can`t trust him.

well.to think about it.it makes right that GTY will be mad and fight with her about that as it shown in the trailers.

Can`t wait till when she totally open her heart to him.Feel like GTY what he needs more is real love not care.he deserve some.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

But why he suggested gty to divorce ml? And how come the wife of the brother has the right to pass the title. The title supposed to go to the closest male descendent upon the death of  the brother, which is gty. 

 

She doesn’t have the right to pass the title. If he wants GTY to marry his wife after he passes, it would be to maintain her and daughter’s status as wife/daughter of Marquis  That would be a way to protect her and probably assuage his guilt that she’ll be widowed young with no son. It would also kind of serve as revenge/reparation for his mom being divorced from his dad so that his dad can marry GTY’s mom for the money.  Maybe when episode airs, it will show that the teaser is just giving us the wrong context and that there is something else behind it like relieving ML of the craziness of their stepmom since he knew Stepmom has been after ML and it will be worse once GTY is Marquis. ML and any wife or future heir will be targets. Those are the only reasons I can see why he would even attempt to ask GTY to separate from ML. The craziness of their stepmom makes me wonder if she hasn’t been aiding in speeding up the brother’s illness and death. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hello210 said:

She doesn’t have the right to pass the title. If he wants GTY to marry his wife after he passes, it would be to maintain her and daughter’s status as wife/daughter of Marquis  That would be a way to protect her and probably assuage his guilt that she’ll be widowed young with no son. It would also kind of serve as revenge/reparation for his mom being divorced from his dad so that his dad can marry GTY’s mom for the money.  Maybe when episode airs, it will show that the teaser is just giving us the wrong context and that there is something else behind it like relieving ML of the craziness of their stepmom since he knew Stepmom has been after ML and it will be worse once GTY is Marquis. ML and any wife or future heir will be targets. Those are the only reasons I can see why he would even attempt to ask GTY to separate from ML. The craziness of their stepmom makes me wonder if she hasn’t been aiding in speeding up the brother’s illness and death. 

Doubt it.. He's not that honorable. He's a selfish man. If he asked gty to, just because of his wife.. Not for ml's sake 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RobinM said:

None of these idle rich women have anything better to do with their lives... they can’t have a career,  they can’t be formally educated, they don’t actually run the household or even raise their own children. They can’t even depend on a husbands support and soul devotion. The only thing left is scheme and make trouble for each other. 

 

Pitiful.  

 

I think If I am born in that time, I'll cross dress as a boy and run away to be a sailor.. Jealous women are truly scary creatures.. I would rather be a nun rather than getting married and join any HAREMS.. Maybe they are not concerned about STD at that time :joy:.. Most modern women like us would probably puke our heart out if we are forced to get married.. ROTFLOL :tounge_wink::joy:

 

27 minutes ago, danatepe said:

That`s right.But why can`t she fully trust him.I think she cant compare GTY with her father.they`re totally different!!!.but also in her head she didn`t know any men expect her father so she is like that with GTY.she like that he cares for his children that`s why she said i hoped my father with like you!!

I think that she is afraid that one day GTY will have a concubine and that`s why she can`t fully give her heart and open her heart to him yet.right? she`s afraid of being disappointment and having pain when that day come..right?

 

IMO, ML has developed trust issue towards MEN as her father (SH) is a failure.. Her heart was broken by her first love (QH) and even Dr He who was matched by her granny is a disappointment... Luckily her prejudices doesn't develop into misandry as she is still willing to marry GTY.. I think it is perfectly normal for her character to be guarded as she do not want to be sad because of men anymore.. Plus, people during that period of time lives in patriarchy system so she tries to be a good wife for GTY although she won't give her heart 100%.

 

Sigh.. I think ML is purely protecting her heart so I don't blame her for not giving all of her heart.. Perhaps, we will see how adversities and challenges will bring ML's heart closer to GTY.. 

  • Like 8
  • Insightful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow this drama is going to end so soon. That's saddddd. I dont know what to do when it ends. Hope ML allows herself to love GTY soon, dont know but i would hate if this only happens towards the end. For me maybe in early 60s eps is good to let ML feel free to love and trust GTY so i can feel more at ease knowing that the last 13 eps ML was able to overcome that and that they both solve every misunderstanding. But for it to happens a lot have to happens within the 50s eps. This seems not it. I just hope its not around ep 70 where they finally solve their problems...

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In ep 43, why was GTY got so angry after he was soaked from the rain? I initially just thought its because ML knows it's going to rain but he is still got drenched anyway. But then when ML said that next time she will ride a carriage to pick him up so he won't get drenched, he said its not about this matter and told her he's going to patiently wait. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lyaarisa said:

 

 

Sigh.. I think ML is purely protecting her heart so I don't blame her for not giving all of her heart.. Perhaps, we will see how adversities and challenges will bring ML's heart closer to GTY.. 

Shes protecting her heart but shes lowkey breaking GTY's heart...even mine

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been uncomfortable about the development of QH after watching episode 48 (TV version). As he was recommended by the empress dowager to handle clearing rebellion party, in many people's eyes he had chosen her side in the power struggle between the emperor and the empress dowager. He might be on the way of becoming an antagonist or be used to against GTY. Hope I'd be proven wrong. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, matrim said:

Firstly, by getting SH's daughters a good education I mean when they were taught for several years by Mr. Zhuang, a famous scholar along with their brothers, QH and later GTY. What Kong Momo taught them was very important for ladies but it hardly count as a good education in normal sense. As for SH's words, if I remember correctly GTY only said SH loved his honor more than his wife and children, he didn't say he would turn down GTY's proposal flatly. For a civil official, family honor and reputation was vital politically, so it's natural for SH to place honor above family affection, and that's why he got livid when he discovered Molan and RL's love affairs. He even tried to kill RL, hoping in this way to redeem family honor. Once the honor and family reputation got ruined, his career was then finished, so were his family prospects. For SH ignoring ML's marriage, I wouldn't say so. He knew ML was actually brought up by Grandma, so it's up to her to decide ML's marriage. Finally, I didn't say SH was a good father, only a reasonably good father, for he fulfilled his duty as a father reasonably well like I stated before, but failed in treating them fairly and hurt their feelings. And I did mention a prerequisite: judging from the standard at that time. I feel it's not quite right to judge a character in a period drama without considering the historical context. 

 

You are right in the sense in terms of education he is quite different but that is because i think the sheng is a scholar family so even though they might look down on female's somewhat its not as harsh as other families they do give more freedom at least from what ive seen. SO sure during that time doing this he was a decent father but that is as far as it goes sure he was not as bad as he could be but he was still not good. 

 

1 hour ago, dito said:

I haven't watched the episodes but from reading the comments and watching the previews it seems GTYs brother is tired of all the stress and fighting. He knows how the stepmom operates. He can't trust her. 

He also knows GTY most likely doesn't care for the title and only wants it to richard simmons off the step mom. Maybe he thought his wife and daughter may have a better future if he willingly gives up the title and GTY inherits.

And about asking GTY to divorce ML... I'm just guessing but maybe GTYs brother is telling him to divorce ML because otherwise she will face non stop attacks from stepmom all her life. And GTY won't always be there to protect her. 

GTYs brother really has no idea that ML is no ordinary woman and what kind of efforts GTY has taken to marry her.

 

 

14 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Doubt it.. He's not that honorable. He's a selfish man. If he asked gty to, just because of his wife.. Not for ml's sake 

 

I actually feel quite sorry for GTY's brother hes been sick all his life , will leave his wife and daughter once he dies . He most likely got brainwashed early on against GTY by the step mother so hes quite pitiful. 

 

3 minutes ago, matrim said:

Been uncomfortable about the development of QH after watching episode 48 (TV version). As he was recommended by the empress dowager to handle clearing rebellion party, in many people's eyes he had chosen her side in the power struggle between the emperor and the empress dowager. He might be on the way of becoming an antagonist or be used to against GTY. Hope I'd be proven wrong. 

 

Is it a full blown power struggle between emperor and empress, will GTY be forced out by the emperor or will dowager force the emperors hand i wonder.. It does look like he will go to the dowager's side now but going against GTY family who were involved not a big enough certainty yet. 

 

If he really goes against QH its sad for his character but i still think it does suit what we have seen from show QH so far so still in character to me. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, matrim said:

And I did mention a prerequisite: judging from the standard at that time. I feel it's not quite right to judge a character in a period drama without considering the historical context. 

 

I agree we need to judge SH as a man of his time and he was not a bad father in providing materially.

 

That emotionally he favoured some children over others is true, but that's true even today when parents may blatantly favour one sibling over another for various reasons.

 

His biggest failing was 'spoiling the concubine and neglecting the wife' and this created the conditions for the abuse and death of Concubine Wei. Complicit is also Grandma who retreated and didn't enforce hierachy and rules. This is why she was berated by Kang Momo. If she had put her foot down SH would have been obliged to obey like we see him doing in later episodes. At the end of the day the household is run by women. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 4:09 PM, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Do you mean the brother asked him to marry his wife after his death in order fot gty to inherit the title.. Thus, ml has to be divorced/separated? But, the title sh. be gty's after his death automatically 

 

@sava2sava @minglan1 @hello210

The oldest brother is NOT asking GTY to marry his wife. He was asking if GTY would divorce his fa chi (original main wife) to protect GTY’s own family like his kids, his nanny, Shitou, his friend CB (not the others in Gu family). GTY then assume he was asking to divorce ML and he said he wouldn’t even if he is in deep trouble and has nothing left for him. He would not want a woman to take responsibility but he would use his own ability to fight himself to start anew. I think we’re assuming he asked GTY to divorce ML but we need to see the whole conversation to truly understand the brother’s intention. I think he was trying to explain their father’s predicaments when he divorced the first wife (big Qinniang, the oldest bro’s mom) to marry GTY’s mom (Bai Niang) to pay for Gu family's debts. Big Qinniang died from sadness after she was asked for divorce/ separation as she was very sickly.

  • Like 2
  • Insightful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Episode 43: 

Their manor is really huge and beautiful. And why they always show them cleaning the bed sheets. Lol We get it already. :joy:

 

I dont see how ML have trust issues. I really can’t, just because she’s not flat out giving her all to GTY yet? I don’t get it. I believe she trust GTY with her life after all he is her life savior.. You don’t tell anyone your biggest darkest secrets if you don’t trust them? She told GTY things she never told even her granny before they got married... She trust him enough to marry him... She won’t marry just anyone... And granny won’t marry her off to an untrustworthy man... 

I think the real issue is that she is probably still shy in showing too much PDA and she is still warming up to GTY who has a big libido apparently LMAO... Because if she had trust issues she wouldn’t be capable of giving trust to anyone in the first place. But she has few people she trust already. She has friends she trust (Yanran) and family she has good relationship with. When it comes to outsiders, trust is a big thing you can give to someone. It’s not a candy. It takes time to build. She was able to trust the two maids introduced to her by her granny because she trust her granny’s words. She trust Xiaotao because she’s been with her for so long. She trust granny trusted maid because she’s been with granny. In conclusion she doesn’t have trust issues because of X factor. She is just someone who doesn’t give her trust like candy. And once you break that trust it’ll be hard to get back. That’s why when QH broke his promise she lost trust in him. It doesn’t mean she will not trust another man again.

 

ML is very clear headed and a very good at first impressions/judge of character. She is not weak. If she was how can she let go of her first love and move on happily?

She said it to granny herself she doesn’t need to get married she can travel the world and find happiness. In other words she doesn’t need a man to be happy. GTY is asking too much from her right now. He wants her to be foolishly in love or being lovey dovey 24/7 like how he is and don’t care about PDA. GTY knows a thing or two about romance. ML is a novice but she tries hard for him (when she’s wiping the rain off him/helping him get dressed/fighting his relatives etc.) but i think PDA it’s just not her thing... Lol But it’s cute how he acts so spoiled. And want to be spoiled by his wife. You can see the difference with ML and QH wife who got so jealous over the dolls. ML has a lot of self esteem. Thanks to granny for teaching her and raising her. She is not weak/fragile girl. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it when Ming Lan praised Gu Ting Ye that he had defended her so far whereas although Grandmother had said that Dr He was a good man but on the Cao situation he left her to sort that problem by herself.

 

Qi Heng defended Ming Lan love to eat when his parents gossiped that Ming Lan had made a General into an errand boy for exotic food.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Guest changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..