[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

12 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

By the grace of the subbing lords was finally able to view the subbed confession episode of GTY .

QH never stood a chance to surmount the sincerity,affection,care and concern for Minglan that GTY showcased.

It reminded me of an early episode where ML had commented if GuTingye decided to shine no one could hold a candle to him even the Ducal house of Qi.

How accurately she understood his personna.GTY reciprocated the same as he laid bare the real ML as she tried her best to keep it hidden.

They truly could become the power couple.As ML said if they join forces no obstacle is unsurmountable.

GTY helped bestow the status among women that he enjoyed among men.A lavish marriage befiting the wife of a Marquis favored by the imperial family, eye popping betrothal gifts, personal dowry contribution by the empress similar to what the emperor did for him.

His words were not empty promises they conveyed the sincerity of his actions.

The lady had no choice other relenting to be swept off her feet while others deservedly felt pangs of envy.

The villians on Gu and Sheng household have no idea what they are up against.Their days of worry free plotting are numbered.

I really hate and detest the helpless, weak and soft look that gty's stepmom has been wearing. So fake. She was a better schemer than linniang because her way of scheming was very twisted. Spoiled the son, let him be wastrel and useless, evoked the anger of the husband, placated the son and encouraged him towards his destruction under the guise of mother's affection. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

I really hate and detest the helpless, weak and soft look that gty's stepmom has been wearing. So fake. She was a better schemer that linniang because her way of scheming was very twisted. Spoiled the son, let him be wastrel and useless, evoked the anger of the husband, placate the sin and encourage him towards his destruction under the guise of mother's affection. 

Agree with you.GTY is giving it back to her.I love how she is being out-maneuvered by him one step at a time. He might use the strategy of besiege wei to rescue zhao that she employed for him.

4 hours ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Her wedding outfit is beautiful. Most often we see brides in full red.. why this different colour?

I got curious about the green wedding attire when they first started showing previews for the drama and looked it up. From piecing together what I found, the green for brides  (red for groom) was a Tang Dynasty tradition, an upgraded version with loose sleeves stayed through the Song Dynasty and later changed to the red for brides too. Other colors in past dynasties has been black with red trim (Zhou Dynasty). 

https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/traditional-chinese-clothes-wedding-clothes.htm

https://www.topchinatravel.com/china-guide/chinese-wedding-dress.htm

3 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Agree with you.GTY is giving it back to her.I love how she is being out-maneuvered by him one step at a time. He might use the strategy of besiege wei to rescue zhao that she employed for him.

Can we safely said that they all well verse with the stratagem of war? .. Ha ha. We have general gty& general ml vs general stepmom&general auntie kang. Let's the game begin. :lol:

58 minutes ago, Jackie1048 said:

Backtracking to the conversation between Qi Heng and Gu Ting Ye over his proposal of marriage for Ming Lan's hand.

It is so true that in forgoing Ming Lan, it would meant Qi Heng would have given up. The way he was telling Gu Ting Ye that he is waiting for the right moment made me think what my Mother would have said " What does he think I am ... the spare tyre?

Gu Ting Ye was correct that Qi Heng should have approached the Sheng family for Ming Lan's hand after his wife's death and not some feeble excuse  of waiting for himself to pass the civil examination first. What if he did not make it this round, did he expect Ming Lan to wait fir him 3 or 6 years years?

For Qi Heng, his boat had left the pier already.

17 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Yes and qh was not some starving exam candidates that relied in this achievement to propose to ml. Ml also never looked down at him when he failed his exam the first time. As rulan pointed out, why he was sad, he can just apply the position of officer through his family's connection. No need for the exam

Also, when QH said he needed to pass the imperial exam so that he has the face to propose marriage, GTY simply asked "you want face? Does ML not want one too? When QH did what he did previously, everyone in the capital was talking about it. When he turned his back against ML, no one talked behind his back. But what about the illegitimate daughter of a lower ranking official, the consequences she needs to bear? Does he not know?" 

1 minute ago, leeza77 said:

Can we safely said that they all well verse with the stratagem of war? .. Ha ha. We have general gty& general ml vs general stepmom&general auntie kang. Let's the game begin. :lol:

The Game of households inspired by the stratagems of war.

Treeline/ Timeline for the war-33 episodes

May the best man/ woman win.:lol:

GTY had mentioned about this strategy when he was describing how his stepmom conspired to bring his downfall after he rescued ML from drowning.

7 hours ago, frenchfan said:

If this was the part then you could see that ML was totally pissed even in her pregnant self.  Grandma loved er so much since she was 8 and you could see that she was totally loyal and filial.  I hope Grandma will be OK to see ML's children.  What I don't understand is why would Daniang even think about it?  What is the motif?  I mean she has given literally all of her possession to ML for dowries so nothing much to inherite.....:dissapointed_relieved:

I don’t know if something specific triggered Daniang to try to make grandma sick, but in my opinion the motive is the usual mother-in-law/daughter-in-law power struggle. In extended households like that, even though Daniang is the main wife and steward with control of most everything in the inner courtyard, the real authority is Grandma (still kinda exists today in traditional families) because SH and others will defer to her for advice and judgement. I can’t remember which episodes but I think both Daniang and CL had made little comments here and there about it either to themselves or to their trusted maid. I think Daniang mainly complained but CL actually talked about wanting to harm Grandma during one of her discussions with the maid about ML mom/evidence. 

11 hours ago, sava2sava said:

Nah @nichiwoohee  GTy knows he hss to be a gentleman and gentle with her.. GTy already knows not to push that button to soon..  

Not necessarily.. book gty bypassed being a gentleman and went straight to rascal on his wedding night :lol:

7 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

Yes I agree they remind me of story of yanxi palace a lot, the banter and confortabillity especially, they scheme too. Haha so alike. 

Yanxi was written by yuzheng right? Wont be surprised if he was “inspired” by to be aired minglan AND ruyi

2 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Not necessarily.. book gty bypassed being a gentleman and went straight to rascal on his wedding night :lol:

Yanxi was written by yuzheng right? Wont be surprised if he was “inspired” by to be aired minglan AND ruyi

Oh Yanxi was written by Zhou MO.. There might have been some inspirations too though.. Oh most couple in love just literally acts like this and if they are very smart, they scheme:joy: a lot 

2 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Spoiler

They made quite a significant change to gty's characters. In the novel the encounters between gty and ml were not much. While in the drama, the have a lot of encounters before marriage. Gty in the novel was a hard and fierce man. Whilst in the drama, he was softer and sometimes playful. Ml also quite different in the novel. She was more timid in their wedding night whilst ml in the drama, eventhough she was shy, she seemed to give full cooperation. :wub:

20 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Oh Yanxi was written by Zhou MO.. There might have been some inspirations too though.. Oh most couple in love just literally acts like this and if they are very smart, they scheme:joy: a lot 

I havent seen yanxi yet, but I saw on the news that yuzheng started ranting again, even dragging zhou xun’s acting, to defend the main actress of yanxi

16 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

They made quite a significant change to gty's characters. In the novel the encounters between gty and ml were not much. While in the drama, the have a lot of encounters before marriage. Gty in the novel was a hard and fierce man. Whilst in the drama, he was softer and sometimes playful. Ml also quite different in the novel. She was more timid in their wedding night whilst ml in the drama, eventhough she was shy, she seemed to give full cooperation. :wub:

I like that they are more equal in the drama, but I do miss his more rugged self

37 minutes ago, gibas231 said:

I am ready to jump back on this drama. I want to start at eps where xiau gong ye is no longer on this drama, which episode would this be? 

38th episode qh asked the mom to propose. After that no qh. 

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I think maybe he is softer and playful in the drama because he didn’t live as harsh a life as in the novel before his military achievements? I read in the novel spoilers that he didn’t know about his Bai inheritance early on and when he left the Gu family, he would send most of the money he made to take care of the kids. Since he got the Bai inheritance in the drama, his life (even though he didn’t flaunt it) was a little easier whether he was with the Gu family or not so then his personality wouldn’t be as hard? I like the drama portrayal :) Harsh and fierce in battle, devious with scheming family members (stepmom), but soft and playful with ML and friends.

2 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

I think maybe he is softer and playful in the drama because he didn’t live as harsh a life as in the drama before his military achievements? I read in the novel spoilers that he didn’t know about his Bai inheritance early on and when he left the Gu family, he would send most of the money he made to take care of the kids. Since he got the Bai inheritance in the drama, his life (even though he didn’t flaunt it) was a little easier whether he was with the Gu family or not so then his personality wouldn’t be as hard? I like the drama portrayal :) Harsh and fierce in battle, devious with scheming family members (stepmom), but soft and playful with ML and friends.

Yes, you nailed his characters perfectly and he was more affectionate towards his children in the drama. 

Loved the interaction between ML and granny about GTY's confession too. 

ML calling GTY spider monster and berated him in front of granny about his elaborate scam, like a kid.

But when granny called him ruthless, ML then turned and defended him. 

:lol: lol. 

ML also defended him and vouched for his character when he wanted to marry YanRan, and then Rulan. 

It's very cute that she would defend him when others think ill of him, but it's acceptable when she talks bad about him. 

Feels a bit like she can insult him, but no one else can. :lol:

First he tells CB to give him two days and also you don't know your sister at all just give me two days:w00t: Cb looking dumbfounded

Check out the conversation between GTy and ML before the polo match..

What Ronger written on the paper..

(Calvary Arrives / Sure Success)

(Speedy Success to your Endeavor)  

ML finds out GTY had the Empress to set up the Polo match

GTY and the Empress:

(GTY)Greetings, Your Highness Empress 

(Emp)Zonghuai aren;t you playing today?

Why aren't you in your playing clothes?

(GTY) Without a good price it's no fun to play.:lol: (ML in a no win situation)

(Emp) Yo you don't care about all those prizes.. ( The Emp is help setting up his marriage and ML don't even know it) Funny as hell..

(Emp) Do you want the stars in the sky or something?.:w00t:

(GTY) Your Highness I'll be getting married soon..I earnestly ask your highness to grant me something to add to my betrothal gifts.So I can give to my future wife to express how I treasure her..

(Emp) I don;t know which family lady has such good fortune of getting a husband like you ? (Even the Empress tewlling ML she's lucjky he wants her) This is the hairpin I used whewn I was crowned as Empress.. Considering how you risk you life for the Emperor to save him from danger.. I gift it to you then take itr and make it your betrothal gift..

(GTY) Thank you Your Highness.. 

(Emp) But you have to win the next game in order for it to be yours.. (ML GTY is showing you how hard he'll work for you)

(GTY) I will obey

ML and GTY

(GTY) I have something to tell you.

(ML) Second Uncle are you using your status and power to oppress me? LOL (She calls him second uncxle to irk him)LOL

(GTY)Don't worry I'm not a person to pester non stop. Today I want to tell you my sincere words.If you still don't agree. I won't pester you anymore.. Also didn't I tell you to stop calling me second uncle? :w00t: ( He's serious nut he hasn't forgot she called him second uncle)

(GTY) I want to know why you won;t marry me.?

I don't want to hear some highfalutin words. I want to hear the truth-_-

(ML) I fear I can;t become a good wife. I'm not virtuous nor gentle or submissive..(GTY not buying this he already know this)

I'm not well experienced.. (He knows you haven't been around the temple block like Molan)

I will bring you shame.

(GTY) That don't sound like the truth. (You Go Boy)

(ML) Your GU family has a complex member relationship and theres a lot of conflicts. (Spell it out for him)

(ML) I'm just a daughter of a small clan. And not well experienced.. I won't be able to handle such a huge clan.

(GTY) That sounded a bit true now. Don;t worry. After the our wedding we'll be living in another manor.

You don;t need to worry about those dirty and worrisome matters..

(ML) We can even live in separate manor?

(GTY) When the time comes if you want to live in the marquise manor,we will live there.If you want to live else where we'll stay else where.. (Wow not to many women in those days had t.he options to live whereever they like) Like the Empress said one lucky girl) 

(GTY) I dare not say how good it will be if you marrying me.. 

(GTY) I will not let you be aggrieved and keep things to yourself from now on.  

(ML) I was raised in a quite extravagant manner.. (SAYWHAT):w00t: (These two is just to cute)

(ML) When was I aggrieved?:w00t:

(ML) I also don't need anyone to act as some hero and save me from danger (OH REALLY):lol:

(GTY)Your are just eloquent Little LIar :thumbsup::)

(GTY) You've always kept your grievence to yourself, You've been suffering since you been born (So much for living extravagant)

(GTY) You can stand those etiquette about being legitimate and illegitimate child.. But you have no choice but to obey.. You clearly are good at everything, But you have to keep a low profile everytime, You dare not to cro up ( show off). 

(GTY) So you look for and ordinary family like the HE family..

(ML) Crop Up

(ML) Because I crop up and caused a lot of trouble. You personally saw it But what happen to me after?

(ML) I don't like sweing and I don't like embroidering

(ML) I have to pretend to ike everything I don't like.. (sounds of dreams of growing up being a tomboy martial arts the whole nine)

(ML) But what can I do I have to survive first. ( and she wonders why he wants to marry her)

(GTY) It's because you to sensible, Your snart and your thorough.. Your able to see everything clearly.

(GTY) You dare not go beyond the lighting pond by a step ( nknowing your bounds)

(GTY) But you can't totally resign to your plight.. You feel the injustice.. 

(GTY) You suffer and keep them to yourself.

(GTY) You pretend to be dumb and be in a daze. Always being very cautious.

(GTY) You fprced yourself to become flawless Sixth Miss of the Sheng family:rolleyes:

(GTY) I'm not willing to see you live the rest of your life like that.

(GTY) I dare not say marrying me wil give you a very good life. I can sware by the heavens one thing..

(GTY) That from now own whatever my rank is among men, That would be your rank among the women

(GTY) I longed admired you and willingly to marry you to be my wife, Entrust you my house for you to steward and entrust to you the propagation of my bloodline. ( Wow that's a helluva proposal what girl could say no to that) Spend the rest of my life with you.

Now everyine degraded GTY for leaving the family home setting up his own shop but look how it has paid off for the main wife he chooses..    The smooth cunning rascal. Go ahead stake your clainm

Archived