[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

23 hours ago, crackaddict said:

While these outcomes are a consequence of their own actions, you gotta wonder what life would have been like for Concubine Lin, who might be a better politician than her husband, and Molan, who just might be cleverer than her 3rd brother. If they had been men, even if their wily characters remained the same, perhaps their outcomes would have been different. 

Concubine Lin's character is much more complex in the novel, one that you can disdain but admire at the same time.

But I disagree about her political savviness. Minglan and SH are the great politicians. Ostensibly clean reputations and nothing to fault. Molan was well educated by ther mother, not necessarily clever.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, samanatha_xyooj said:

How dare he have the guts to blame GTY that he came between them. 

I’m going to have to watch the whole thing to fully get the picture since these teasers are sometimes misleading, but at this point GTY is not coming in between them. QH and ML have no connection since QH got married. So it’s not like GTY knew he was coming back around again since GTY started the proposal thing before QH made the second attempt. Once again, bad timing and missed opportunities. He’s not a bad guy but it’s just not his fate. 

@ForgottenSoulx I loved that QH stood up and helped ML at the Polo game... which caught all the spoil Princess eyes but still he was true to his feeling and helped her. What I don't get was why he turned down GTY offer to help ML and QH to be together..... 

GTY is very good at calculating just like ML when it comes to situations. I had a feeling that ML was testing QH if he will keep his promise…. Even after QH meet ML at the party during his starving quest… ML even confirm that she is loyal to QH.

If QH did truly loved ML like how he stated then he would’ve listen that what GTY had to offer.

22 hours ago, havennoah30 said:

i wonder  if the father knew of the murder of minglans birth mother by his concubine thats why he flag her viciously and all the years she played him in her hand 

He knew about the food and tonics cos the servants confessed.  She was basically running a kitchen ftom her courtyard which he ordered her to dismantle. 

4 minutes ago, samanatha_xyooj said:

@ForgottenSoulx I loved that QH stood up and helped ML at the Polo game... which caught all the spoil Princess eyes but still he was true to his feeling and helped her. What I don't get was why he turned down GTY offer to help ML and QH to be together..... 

GTY is very good at calculating just like ML when it comes to situations. I had a feeling that ML was testing QH if he will keep his promise…. Even after QH meet ML at the party during his starving quest… ML even confirm that she is loyal to QH.

If QH did truly loved ML like how he stated then he would’ve listen that what GTY had to offer.

I had the same thought when ML said something like Lets see, lets give him a chance to try. I really felt like she was testing him. To see if he really thought she was worth fighting for.....staking his life for her....in GTY's words. 

Geez, these 2 are more alike than we thought. Even their thoughts on trusting someone with their life and love are similar. 

39 minutes ago, mooose said:

Concubine Lin's character is much more complex in the novel, one that you can disdain but admire at the same time.

But I disagree about her political savviness. Minglan and SH are the great politicians. Ostensibly clean reputations and nothing to fault. Molan was well educated by ther mother, not necessarily clever.

Your saying ML has a good rep but people were saying she was sleeping with QH etc.. due to that polo thing.

36 minutes ago, samanatha_xyooj said:

Cause hes a good boy in a bad world and he does not want to do scheme's etc.. maybe he didnt trust GTY but ML trusts GTY 100% honestly. 

19 minutes ago, samanatha_xyooj said:

. What I don't get was why he turned down GTY offer to help ML and QH to be together..... 

It was because GTY’s suggestion (kidnapping princess for leverage) was very dangerous to both the Qi and Sheng families. However, I don’t think GTY was foolish enough to go through with kidnapping the princess. I think it was his way of testing how far QH would go and if QH accepted his help, he would have actually planned something else, since strategically as he said, plan for 3 steps forward and 5 steps back. Maybe it’ll be a part of their discussion in the next couple episodes because I don’t think QH fully knows GTY well and takes things at face value with him when we know as the audience that he hides his good deeds and admits to the bad deeds. CB chastised him for this when Xiao Rong Jie let slip about secretly protecting ML on the trip back and GTY said to keep it a secret. CB was implying that it was why people always believe the worst in him.

I actually don’t dislike any of the characters to be honest. I like some more than others. But over all, I think the actors are doing a heck off a good job in portraying their characters. I also think there isn’t a central “villain” or “villainess”. Sure there are baby villains, but it’s more I think the trails and tribulations of ML/GTY/family/friends. Thus, I think it isn’t necessarily a revenge plot IMHO. Someone mentioned a while back that the characters are flawed, thus human. I think this is what draws me to this drama, and why I like it so much. 

Sure I like Disney type stories with a happily ever after. However, I also like realistic stories in which a relationship takes a lot of work to maintain. QH, as said before, is the Prince Charming of Disney type stories. Most first love couples do not get married. Personally, my husband is not my first love. And so I tend to prefer stories that have themes to not being married to your first love.

Spoiler

If anyone is interested in reading books that have this underline  theme. The author Sarah J Maas does a good job. 

26 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Omg i just love them together so much she can be so real in front of him even more so then grandma . 

Even though im starting to dislike QH as well he married the Princess to save ML sure they wouldnt have known about ML if he didnt do that stuff at Polo but still. 

Truly he saved her but I don't think that excuses his unreasonable act of confronting GTY about the proposal. That's why I say I pity people but I will never pity him for trying to kill someone because he is in need of something.. And there is one thing that if gone and decided upon, the solution is there and that's the past. If he wasn't all about promise and trying to prove his love without any assets, ming lan wouldn't need any saving bit like I said it's in the past, so even though I pity him. I have never wanted him for ming lan 

I really dislike Dr He's cousin and her mum.  :triumph:

Reminded me of Linniang and Molan all over again.  "If you don't marry me, let me die.....bohoo hoo"....Kind of like Manniang as well.  So pathetic.  And you could see that Dr He is too kind hearted and got completely bought over with tears.  But I really like Minglan when she stayed firm and said that "If you choose her then you cannot have me too".  I need to be with someone who will think of me as a priority in his heart.  Otherwise, I rather not marry".  And she maintained that Dr He's solution to help the cousin by letting her stay on to help around the house not a solution.  Bravo Minglan!  At least she was clear that she will not tolerate hanky panky :smiley::thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, dito said:

I had the same thought when ML said something like Lets see, lets give him a chance to try. I really felt like she was testing him. To see if he really thought she was worth fighting for.....staking his life for her....in GTY's words. 

Geez, these 2 are more alike than we thought. Even their thoughts on trusting someone with their life and love are similar. 

Exactly my thought. Minglan is smart and knows that some things can just not be. But at least she was glad he was willing to try as such she said, let's see. She thought he has a real plan or something, she wouldn't have thought that this handsome young lord is too naive.. Our ming lan and GTY are the real schemer. They can sheme to make a dead person come to life

QH should realize the entire blame for bringing ML and GTY together lies on his own head.

Who told him to pray for a good husband for ML at the Youqing Monastery?

Thats why they say.... be careful what to wish for, you might actually get it.:lol:

27 minutes ago, nrbrown said:

I actually don’t dislike any of the characters to be honest. I like some more than others. But over all, I think the actors are doing a heck off a good job in portraying their characters. I also think there isn’t a central “villain” or “villainess”. Sure there are baby villains, but it’s more I think the trails and tribulations of ML/GTY/family/friends. Thus, I think it isn’t necessarily a revenge plot IMHO. Someone mentioned a while back that the characters are flawed, thus human. I think this is what draws me to this drama, and why I like it so much. 

Sure I like Disney type stories with a happily ever after. However, I also like realistic stories in which a relationship takes a lot of work to maintain. QH, as said before, is the Prince Charming of Disney type stories. Most first love couples do not get married. Personally, my husband is not my first love. And so I tend to prefer stories that have themes to not being married to your first love.

Reveal hidden contents

If anyone is interested in reading books that have this underline  theme. The author Sarah J Maas does a good job. 

Lin was a villain and i dislike her 100% and she deserved to suffer more before dying she killed ML mother and baby during child birth. That must have been one of the most painful and horrifying ways to die. 

Imagine thinking your about to die and your unborn child die and you will leave other child all alone in the world.. ah just to much . 

26 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Truly he saved her but I don't think that excuses his unreasonable act of confronting GTY about the proposal. That's why I say I pity people but I will never pity him for trying to kill someone because he is in need of something.. And there is one thing that if gone and decided upon, the solution is there and that's the past. If he wasn't all about promise and trying to prove his love without any assets, ming lan wouldn't need any saving bit like I said it's in the past, so even though I pity him. I have never wanted him for ming lan 

I mean were saying this because we know who GTY is because we get his POV but think from QH's POV of GTY's history in brothel's, dad rumours,outside wife etc.. I can totally understand why QH is saying what hes saying. Also QH has not tried to kill anyone if he goes that route then yeah all pity is lost.

22 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

I really dislike Dr He's cousin and her mum.  :triumph:

Reminded me of Linniang and Molan all over again.  "If you don't marry me, let me die.....bohoo hoo"....Kind of like Manniang as well.  So pathetic.  And you could see that Dr He is too kind hearted and got completely bought over with tears.  But I really like Minglan when she stayed firm and said that "If you choose her then you cannot have me too".  I need to be with someone who will think of me as a priority in his heart.  Otherwise, I rather not marry".  And she maintained that Dr He's solution to help the cousin by letting her stay on to help around the house not a solution.  Bravo Minglan!  At least she was clear that she will not tolerate hanky panky :smiley::thumbsup:

In the Novel doesnt she say that the cousin could be a concubine?

Offtopic comment but i would to see this grandma playing a empress dowager. 

48 minutes ago, dito said:

This is just my theory...but I think they show time jumps by showing trees with different coloured flowers. Some scenes start with pink flowers on the trees....some with white. I'm assuming those are plum blossoms and peach blossoms. Some scenes have bare trees with very little leaves....

So just check the trees to know how much time has passed in the drama.:D

Instead of timeline I like the idea of treeline.:D

6 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

Linniang was a narrow-minded women trying to keep her children instead of giving them to Daniang, thus ruined their marriage prospect. 

Da Niang would have abused them. The two were deadly adversaries and I can see why SH wanted his kids to be raised by their mothers. Also Concubine Lin was better educated and able to give Molan a solid foundation. Lin understood the implications of a concubine raised daughter and did try to send Molan to grandma but was rejected.

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

ML runs to the grandma and told granny that the GTY rascal created such huge ruckus, an elaborate scam, to push me to the corner, run out of options. I'm so angry to I left him and came back. :lol:

Part of me wonders if ML makes a big deal about this to Grandma on purpose.  She's complaining but I have a feeling she's secretly pleased at all the effort he put into his planning and wants Grandma to know as well.  We all know how she hides her real emotions very well from her family, even in front of her Grandma.

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

I see a few chingus asking for translation for the meeting between GTY-ML in the Weibo preview, at the start and end. 

Couldn't seem to see any reply so I'll try with my limited understanding. If someone already responded, my apologies for double up. 

GTY: I must get you/ succeed in getting you. Even the heaven pity me, so opens up the opportunity to me. 

ML: That's because heaven is afraid of powerful scary people. :lol:

GTY: seriously, even when I go war, its not this complicated. I had to plan meticulously (strike in the east, while making others think I'll strike the west). Just to get a wife, I had to use all the strategem of war teachings. 

ML: u speak of this so casually. But my 5th sister reputation and sheng's reputation is at stake. 

And she walks away. 

GTY: ehhh...but I'm not done talking yet. 

ML; what do U think I am? A pig? A fish? GTY, U are a rascal! :lol:

Will not translate GTY/QH meeting since it has been translated earlier. 

ML runs to the grandma and told granny that the GTY rascal created such huge ruckus, an elaborate scam, to push me to the corner, run out of options. I'm so angry to I left him and came back. :lol:

The next meeting with GTY bowing down to her is a bit harder to understand. 

GTY: I can't say/promise how great it will for you to be married to me. But I can say this to heaven and earth, that from now on, *I think he said they will both be nobles*. 

Then he bowed and said something that I could hardly understand, but from the minimal understanding it seems like he promised that he will care for her his entire life.

:wub:

That was sweet...

Thanks for the translation.I love their bickering:wub:.In their previous interactions he did have a knack of leaving ML a little flustered.

It is the 1st time someone has beaten ML at scheming and no wonder she went ballistic.:D

I am looking forward to their witty repartee post marriage.

Though I don't understand mandarin but ML's expressions did give an

impression that she liked how GTY toiled to get her hand in marriage.

1 hour ago, darkphoenix123 said:

That first part is hilarious lmao!

According to the comments under the trailer that I used Google Translate on GTY apparently worded his confession in the last part in such a way that it was rare in those days. Something to do with treating her equally or something so the confession seems sweet...

I forgot that 6th Liang said that. I no longer feel bad for QH. I had a sliver left but that’s gone too. He chased after ML even after she told him the reality in the temple but in the end it’s her who became the butt of jokes! It makes me so angry!

Hahahah. That's why I don't understand much. But I think U could be right. Rather than we will both be nobles, he could meant they would be equals. 

With QH, I truly felt he has done enough damage. 

ML told him multiple times that the price they have to pay is vastly different, and while QH suffered (due to his own actions...or inactions if I must say), ML also suffered, due to no fault of her's. All those nasty remarks. Thankfully she's bigger then them to let it get to her. 

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Omg i just love them together so much she can be so real in front of him even more so then grandma . 

I know right! She just blurts our whatever she wants with him, totally no filters! 

That's why I find their relationship so precious. Just like her relationship with grandma. 

No scheming, no hiding, just honesty. 

And trust ML to have that reaction being played like that my GTY! 

Soooo cute!

Archived