[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Wotad said:

Its recent episode was 0.720 and it has a average of 0.679

I think you are judging to early Like A Flowing River and Ming Lan are directly competing at the same time zone also Hunan TV overall this year has been way down. 

hopefully you are right that the rating will go up even further after flowing river ends its run. however, there are other 3 dramas doing better than Ming lan tho, even without any promotion, hot searches or big names. It's a long drama, so a lot people probably wait until it finishes and reading reviews before they want to invest time in watching it. So perhaps online views in later weeks will go higher. 

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

Wouldn't disagree....some episodes are just really slow...and the only thing that kept me invested is the production's company attention to detail and ZLY (I started watching because of her)..but in some episodes, she barely has any screentime, and all we get is the annoying Molan, or worse the dad with his favourite concubine, all of whom I want to punch and can't wait for their downfall. 

yep, agree on slow. I dropped it on first episode because i fell asleep watching it after the first 30 mins. I will probably watching this forum closely and may pick it up once the story starts to get interesting. Honestly, I am actually not expecting Journey of flower or princess agents kind of action, i actually did not finish these two too, too long and overtly stretched. My fav zly drama is actually Shan Shan, rewatched it too many times, she was just too adorable there, not in your face kind of cute, just very natural. I kind of wish she was 5 yrs younger now and can still act in this kind of idol drama. 

1 hour ago, gibas231 said:

yep, agree on slow. I dropped it on first episode because i fell asleep watching it after the first 30 mins. I will probably watching this forum closely and may pick it up once the story starts to get interesting. Honestly, I am actually not expecting Journey of flower or princess agents kind of action, i actually did not finish these two too, too long and overtly stretched. My fav zly drama is actually Shan Shan, rewatched it too many times, she was just too adorable there, not in your face kind of cute, just very natural. I kind of wish she was 5 yrs younger now and can still act in this kind of idol drama. 

As @jewelsc said this drama isn’t to everyone’s taste. Shan Shan was actually my first C-drama in many years which brought me back to watching C-dramas again so I have a little bias for ZLY. Now I’m into Thai, K-drama, and C-drama and have started to see the differences between these types of dramas and idol dramas.  These kinds of drama when done well are my favorite. For me, the pacing is good because of the detail and character development. When the episodes aren’t available on Viki, I just go to YouTube and watch raw...I wish it was aired all day so I can watch the whole thing during holiday break...lol.

Spoiler

Haha...the teacher’s gripe almost came true. Only ML second brother passed the Imperial Exam out of the 4 men. The other three were too distracted. GH because of budding love, GTY because of family/business and 3rd brother because he’s just lazy.

Watching 10 episodes on viki. Really like momo kong. Such a wisdom. I like the interaction between minglan and grandma. The dialogues are full of wisdom, poetic. For eg. Grinding the water, etc. To caught a thief by capturing the leader. 

1 hour ago, gibas231 said:

hopefully you are right that the rating will go up even further after flowing river ends its run. however, there are other 3 dramas doing better than Ming lan tho, even without any promotion, hot searches or big names. It's a long drama, so a lot people probably wait until it finishes and reading reviews before they want to invest time in watching it. So perhaps online views in later weeks will go higher. 

name's are irrelevant now days so cant really be used as a argument , it got 161 million online views on the 30th and that does not include iQiyi who im pretty sure dont report online views.

Anyways i dont care about rating's , China always sleep on good drama's. 

Also it does not take the top 2 spots on daily tv rating's without any promo, it took primetime slot's on two big channels in China.

54 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Haha...the teacher’s gripe almost came true. Only ML second brother passed the Imperial Exam out of the 4 men. The other three were too distracted. GH because of budding love, GTY because of family/business and 3rd brother because he’s just lazy.

@hello210   I loved episode 10 myself. It took a stranger to point out the faults in the Sheng household. 

Friends when you watch episdes 11-13 , you will be laughing a lot.... Although I don't understand but what came in to play in these episode were the best thing to happen.   Momo Kang warned Sheng Hong about Concubine Lin and he did not take her words seriously even knowing she is right. smh smh

Spoiler

You know I thought Sheng Hong was in love with the Mistress but now I think he is just pacifying the mistress and her children. It was funny to see him listen to Momo Kong  list all the wrongs they comitted that day. I especially loved the way he looked at his main wife while their daughter is being told what she did wrong. He watched her facial expression to see her reaction as her daughter was being scolded.I lvoe the main wife she did not give him the satisfaction by squiming.  I think Sheng Hong knows what Ming Lan is capable of and never pin her against his other daughters. Out of all his daughters , she was the one he went to see first to see How she was doing?? Isn't that peculiar? Why didn't he go see Mo Lan or Ru Lan??? 

Question : Why did Sheng Hong refuse to let Ming Lan go when she was younger ? Does he even care for Ming Lan??  Ming Lan is very smart , I love her interactions with her aunt and Old Mrs Sheng.  Both these woman are so smart and adore our Ming Lan so much.  

17 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

@hello210   I loved episode 10 myself. It took a stranger to point out the faults in the Sheng household. 

Friends when you watch episdes 11-13 , you will be laughing a lot.... Although I don't understand but what came in to play in these episode were the best thing to happen.   Momo Kang warned Sheng Hong about Concubine Lin and he did not take her words seriously even knowing she is right. smh smh

Hide contents

You know I thought Sheng Hong was in love with the Mistress but now I think he is just pacifying the mistress and her children. It was funny to see him listen to Momo Kong  list all the wrongs they comitted that day. I especially loved the way he looked at his main wife while their daughter is being told what she did wrong. He watched her facial expression to see her reaction as her daughter was being scolded.I lvoe the main wife she did not give him the satisfaction by squiming.  I think Sheng Hong knows what Ming Lan is capable of and never pin her against his other daughters. Out of all his daughters , she was the one he went to see first to see How she was doing?? Isn't that peculiar? Why didn't he go see Mo Lan or Ru Lan??? 

Question : Why did Sheng Hong refuse to let Ming Lan go when she was younger ? Does he even care for Ming Lan??  Ming Lan is very smart , I love her interactions with her aunt and Old Mrs Sheng.  Both these woman are so smart and adore our Ming Lan so much.  

Regarding what Sheng Hong really think's of ML im not sure i just think hes indifferent to her like he does not care about her but does not hate her either , ML as a character is very neutral and does not cause issues so he has no worry's about her and even tried to defend her but he should know by doing that you pin others against her.

Im really curious if their father/daughter relationship grows in the drama./ 

11 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Regarding what Sheng Hong really think's of ML im not sure i just think hes indifferent to her like he does not care about her but does not hate her either , ML as a character is very neutral and does not cause issues so he has no worry's about her and even tried to defend her but he should know by doing that you pin others against her.

Minglan also is indifferent to Sheng Hong. It doesn't matter to her whether he gives attention to her or not as the period when she really needs het fathet has already passed. 

29 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Hide contents

He went to see Minglan because Kong Momo had just taught him about being fair, so he realized that he had been neglecting Minglan, he felt guilty so he went to see her first (the moment didn't last very long -.-). He later went to comfort Molan and stayed Concubine Lin's place. The only daughter he didn't see was Rulan. 

Despite the drama synopsis stated that Minglan was the least loved daughter, I always think that Rulan is the actual least loved one. Molan had both her parents loved her growing up; Minglan, eventhough tragically lost her mother, had grandma who favored her. Rulan only had her mother, but in the book, it was clear that Big Madam loved her (much smarter) older brother and sister more. Rulan was not as smart as her other siblings, so she didn't know how to please the elders in the house, always angered them, so they didn't like her very much. Even Minglan was favored by Sheng Hong more at some point because she was smart, she knew how to please her father.

Also because Rulan was a legitimate child so the elders think that she will be fine just because of her status, both grandma and Sheng Hong spent more time worried about the two other concubine born daughters more. This was evident from the fact that the father and the grandma spent a lot of time pondering on Molan and Minglan's, respectively, marriage prospects. As far as I can remember, they hadn't had the time to care about Rulan's. In the end, Rulan's marriage was ultimately decided by Gu Tingye! (which was very fortunate, because I don't think Big Madam had the ability to select a suitable match for her daughter =)))

That's probably why Rulan fell for a poor student so easily, cause he's the first person who liked her for who she is (faults and all) and not for her status as a legitimate daughter of a rich household.

Ultimately, I don't blame them entirely for neglecting Rulan, since it's true that she would get by just fine because of her status, and Minglan really did need grandma's protection. I just feel a bit unfair for Rulan as her "status" was the exact reason why she was less loved within the family.

49 minutes ago, Wotad said:

@Wotad  Your POV is well welcomed and I see their relationship much better . I do wonder if their relationship relationship will grow in the drama. I guess we will have to wait and see. :) I feel that he doesn’t care for her especially since he went to see Ming Lan first out of all his other other daughter’s . I disliked he went to see her first with his attendant who is a spy for Concubine Lin. His attendant would do anything for money. It is the same attendant who helped CL get rid of ML’s mother servant . Then CL hired some spies to help ML’s mom lose the baby and ended it up losing her life also. 

@leeza77 You are right , ML is indifferent, I forgot that she did say it herself, the little attention/time he gave her was enough. Thanks for reminding me. 

TBH I am looking forward to seeing Concubine Lin lose everything that she worked so hard for. 

I asked athat beacause I hate to see a Parent and Child relationship ruined or broken by family members. :tears::tears:

46 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

He went to see Minglan because Kong Momo had just taught him about being fair, so he realized that he had been neglecting Minglan, he felt guilty so he went to see her first (the moment didn't last very long -.-). He later went to comfort Molan and stayed Concubine Lin's place. The only daughter he didn't see was Rulan. 

Despite the drama synopsis stated that Minglan was the least loved daughter, I always think that Rulan is the actual least loved one. Molan had both her parents loved her growing up; Minglan, eventhough tragically lost her mother, had grandma who favored her. Rulan only had her mother, but in the book, it was clear that Big Madam loved her (much smarter) older brother and sister more. Rulan was not as smart as her other siblings, so she didn't know how to please the elders in the house, always angered them, so they didn't like her very much. Even Minglan was favored by Sheng Hong more at some point because she was smart, she knew how to please her father.

Also because Rulan was a legitimate child so the elders think that she will be fine just because of her status, both grandma and Sheng Hong spent more time worried about the two other concubine born daughters more. This was evident from the fact that the father and the grandma spent a lot of time pondering on Molan and Minglan's, respectively, marriage prospects. As far as I can remember, they hadn't had the time to care about Rulan's. In the end, Rulan's marriage was ultimately decided by Gu Tingye! (which was very fortunate, because I don't think Big Madam had the ability to select a suitable match for her daughter =)))

That's probably why Rulan fell for a poor student so easily, cause he's the first person who liked her for who she is (faults and all) and not for her status as a legitimate daughter of a rich household.

Ultimately, I don't blame them entirely for neglecting Rulan, since it's true that she would get by just fine because of her status, and Minglan really did need grandma's protection. I just feel a bit unfair for Rulan as her "status" was the exact reason why she was less loved within the family.

Another good POV , thanks @gleek49.  I think both Ru Lan and Mi Lan were unfortunate. I find it sweet that Mi Lan love Sheng Chang Bai and Sheng Ru Lan. I see Ming Lan tries to help her sister not to argue with Mo Lan because their father always favor her and nothing ever changes. 

Ironically ML's father is always feeling guitly toward ML but it never last.  Thanks for the info on Ru Lan.... :D:heart:  Ru lan is the exact replica of her own mother.  Sheng Chang Bai - - > Isn't he the first born son and second elder of all Sheng's children. 

Spoiler

Ru Lan's mother isn't so bright at all.  Ru Lan is just as rude and can be mean sometimes because she is so blunt. I think RL's mother did not Fully understand the true meaning  passing the Imperial Exam. Ming Lan had to break it down for both Mother and daughter understand . CMIIW ( correct me if i am wrong) .

4 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Minglan also is indifferent to Sheng Hong. It doesn't matter to her whether he gives attention to her or not as the period when she really needs het fathet has already passed. 

Yeah. I thought it was quite sad when she half answered, half mumbled that it was of no loss that the dad barely spoke to her before he got called by the brother, because the time she needed him to be there has passed. 

It shows how much her dad cared for her all these while. Poor child. :tears:

GTY failed his exam because his elder brother spread rumours about him and caused the Imperial Exam hall to fail him eventhough he has high marks on his essay.

This drama is getting more and more interesting.  I want to see how GTY mistress fare ... Will she remains or she leave GTY? 

I want to see how ML revenge on the concubine. She has set trap on her but how she is going to expose her will be interesting.  After her mom died, she listened to her mom ... not to make herself noticed, hide her intelligence etc. 

May I ask how did GTY arrange Rulan marriage?

I really hope Molan suffers in her marriage. I don't wish her to marry into a good household. I want her to suffer like Ru Hua. The poor gentle girl suffered under her MIL. 

Can't wait to see ep 14

On TV ratings, Minglan is sitting at no.5 because Like a Flowing River is broadcasting on two channels, 1.2 or 1.1 on one, and 1.0 and 0.9 on another. Minglan's 0.6 opening and holding steady 0.7 is ok since this is still near the beginning. Other dramas that doesn't have promotion or hot searches but do better because they are the kind of dramas that older people watch, yknow, parents and grandparents. Younger generation tend to watch online, and some of Hunan's core audience are in school at the moment.

0.7 is okay (but not well) for Hunan in '18, you can't compare it to JoF and PA because TV ratings as a whole have been super down the whole year, even disregarding the genre difference. I think no.1 never broke 1.5 and was around 1.3? Ashes of Love was one of THE hit dramas of the year which would be more comparable to JoF, highest rating was like 1.2. I think Hunan's top drama was Negotiator and it was 1.1? Feel free to correct me on details since this is all from memory.

57 minutes ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

GTY failed his exam because his elder brother spread rumours about him and caused the Imperial Exam hall to fail him eventhough he has high marks on his essay.

This drama is getting more and more interesting.  I want to see how GTY mistress fare ... Will she remains or she leave GTY? 

I want to see how ML revenge on the concubine. She has set trap on her but how she is going to expose her will be interesting.  After her mom died, she listened to her mom ... not to make herself noticed, hide her intelligence etc. 

I really hope Molan suffers in her marriage. I don't wish her to marry into a good household. I want her to suffer like Ru Hua. The poor gentle girl suffered under her MIL. 

Can't wait to see ep 14

His elder brother is a nasty piece of work.  GTY should have passed the exam.  He worked hard for it.  I hate his dad.  He used GTY's mum's dowries for his own end.  I am wondering if his current main wife (GTY's stepmum) is not up to something.  I saw in one trailer that GTY managed to exposed his stepmum for being two-faced all this while which broke his heart as he had high regards for her.  I can't wait for more episodes to come neither.  I have been rewatching all episodes while waiting........

3 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

Can't wait to see ep 14

I guess GTY arranged Rulans marriage after ML and him get married? 

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
Tonight rating is very good. Increasing every night. Minglan is powerful. Able to shut molan mouth :D.. Ohh and blind date with her suitor. 
  •  

So what exactly did it get ;p 

Lol lol Watching episode 14 is just hilarious. I am so loving the turn of events in the Story of Ming Lan. I have never laughed so loud watching an episode raw. I know O can’t understand what is going on but you will enjoy this episode . :D:D

Spoiler

Spoiler

Madame Cheng finally got her revenge with Ming Lan’d hell. Lol 

Archived