[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

Off topic but related to our main OTP... Congratulations to FSF and ZLY!!! He just announced on the first day of 2019 that they will be a family of three!!! So sweet! Make this drama much more memorable and anticipate their main storyline to begin hehehe

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Wotad said:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought the dad hated ML but in episode 10 he was softer does he turn more hateful later or nicer.

God i detest the father being stupid towards Lin Qinshuang and Sheng Molan i want these two to suffer. 

First in online rating's https://cdramabase.com/online-ratings/

This does not include QIY where they dont report online views now right? 

This video is the actors singing right? they sound good saw some juicy scene's, espically around 1:57/8/9 spoilers obviously.

After this video i ship GTY and ML 100% now you can feel the chemistry and love. 

So glad that its doing good online,hope for the fflwng ep..the ratings will also go up...DLE is rocking though,I a saw LAFR everywere but havnt check it out yet since Im religously watching ML.

That video is on my playlist though..been plating it nonestop since it came out..and finally memorize liying's part..:grin:and finally sing out loud and clear in the bathroom..lol:grin:

Need to rewatch ep10 eng sub tonight since I only watch it raw last night...that molan and her mom really getting into my nerves:angry:...

11 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I love the song too! Too bad I can hardly understand it. Anyone so kind to translate the lyrics? Or know where to find the translated lyrics? 

They translated the song in the ending credits on Viki. 

27 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I love the song too! Too bad I can hardly understand it. Anyone so kind to translate the lyrics? Or know where to find the translated lyrics? 

You can also go to google,just search Zhi fou Zhi fou..pinyin and english lyrics were there.

28 minutes ago, hello210 said:

They translated the song in the ending credits on Viki. 

I am watching the show on YouTube :P

Is Viki free?

13 minutes ago, heatherbee said:

You can also go to google,just search Zhi fou Zhi fou..pinyin and english lyrics were there.

Thanks!!! Found it now! :wub:

1 hour ago, heatherbee said:

Need to rewatch ep10 eng sub tonight since I only watch it raw last night...that molan and her mom really getting into my nerves:angry:...

@heatherbee  IKR , I can't stand the mother and daughter DUo.... This Molan is the exact replica of her mother and I wonder will she be able to capture QH in matrimonial mariage.  I know for a fact that QH's mothe will never accept Molan because she will see right through her actions. smh smh smh 

Spoiler

I hope that the truth about how far "    Lin Qinshuang               " will go to give her kids the best of everything. She felt no guilt in killing Ming Lan's mother. I would hate the truth to be kept a secret forever.  
I think Ming Lan's father is truly dumb and pathetic. He shows so much favortism towards his concubine and doesn't really love his other children. 

@m0us3y   Viki is free but there will be ad  as u watch the drama...

8 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Hello @Wotad

I have finally gotten 

Reveal hidden contents

Evee Night our of my system. Yay Yah 

So glad to find you here in this drama. It is now my new obsession and I too wish they aired episode 12 . I even watched the episode raw which means IMHO , this drama is really good and the cast are doing a great job. At first It was ok , but Now I just can’t stop going to 

Reveal hidden contents

Maplestage to check if any episode has been aired yet.  :wub::wub:

OMg!!! I feel exaylike you do. I even have the Calendar schedule to this drama on my mobile phone. I don’t know if it has been posted yet. 

Happy New Year everyone 2019

We have similar and good taste so were in every thread together haha, i still got to finish ever night.

I think this drama is going to have viewers go on a roller coaster ride with the CPs. Chemistry with both leads based on what’s already shown and the previews. They’re doing a great job of differentiating the two types of love that ML will go through. Innocent puppy love with GH and then fated love with GTY. 

7 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@heatherbee  IKR , I can't stand the mother and daughter DUo.... This Molan is the exact replica of her mother and I wonder will she be able to capture QH in matrimonial mariage.  I know for a fact that QH's mothe will never accept Molan because she will see right through her actions. smh smh smh 

Reveal hidden contents

I hope that the truth about how far "    Lin Qinshuang               " will go to give her kids the best of everything. She felt no guilt in killing Ming Lan's mother. I would hate the truth to be kept a secret forever.  
I think Ming Lan's father is truly dumb and pathetic. He shows so much favortism towards his concubine and doesn't really love his other children. 

@m0us3y   Viki is free but there will be ad  as u watch the drama...

Molan and Concubine Lin are living in their own dreamland when they think that Molan can marry GH. Even though they’re the favorite of Sheng Hong, her concubine born status doesn’t change and GH’s mom is a princess so like Momo, she knows all the harem tricks. Even if she tries to trap GH, his mom would only allow her to be a concubine. His mom probably already has a list of princesses and noble legitimate daughters ready for political marriages for GH. 

Spoiler

I think Molan is going to settle for tricking that 6th son of Marquis in ep 6 where she pushed her sisters into the hall. Him and his mother didn’t seem to mind that she’s concubine born. He was dumb enough to think that Molan is the innocent one.

13 hours ago, hello210 said:

From the Novel spoilers, the drama has ML showing a little more of her feelings for GH but like everyone says, she’s very sensible and realistic. I don’t think that it’s ML giving up but more that she never tried. She doesn’t even entertain the thought of becoming something more than a distant admirer of GH. She says this and kind of explains it to her maid in the episode where GH gives her the pens I think.  From previous comments and the novel ML is GH’s regret in life since he didn’t get to be with her so I can see him still having lingering feelings.

Also, I think there was a comment that they added scenes to that drama that wasn’t in the novel that was shown in the previews like the scene where GH tells GTY that he doesn’t think GTY is right for ML so I can see how they would have those jealous scenes to add otherwise ML is very proper and aware due to lessons from Grandma so meeting up with a man after marriage wouldn’t be in her character. I didn’t finish the novel since I gave up google translating it so don’t know if those are added and not part of the novel. But it does make it interesting.

From everything I’ve seen and my broken mandarin, I think GTY pities his mistress and cares about his children with her but Ming Lan is his one true love. I hope they keep to the novel and GH doesn’t interfere in the marriage because he thinks he knows better. 

Just waiting for Episode 11, 12, and 13 on Viki. Don’t know if they’re holding off release till subs are complete.

@ bold

You're right. I remember only one time ML and QH were together alone, after her marriage to GTY in the novel....and it was accidental. ML and GTY were invited to QH's twins' 100th day celebration or something. Men and women were in separate parts of the house....and when ML was leaving she accidentally ran into QH. ML had some words with him...which then led to a big fight between ML and GTY.....I think I wrote about this in one of my earlier posts. 

I too gave up reading this book on google translate.... about 5-6 times actually.  But kept going back to it after taking a break. Reason was it was too hard to make sense of the google translate gibberish....usually I find chinese modern novels quite easy to understand on google translate but period novels with flowery and poetic language are hard work. Still I found Princess Weiyoung, Jun Juling easy to follow on GT....so maybe the language used was simpler.

3 hours ago, hello210 said:

Molan and Concubine Lin are living in their own dreamland when they think that Molan can marry GH. Even though they’re the favorite of Sheng Hong, her concubine born status doesn’t change and GH’s mom is a princess so like Momo, she knows all the harem tricks. Even if she tries to trap GH, his mom would only allow her to be a concubine. His mom probably already has a list of princesses and noble legitimate daughters ready for political marriages for GH. 

Hide contents

I think Molan is going to settle for tricking that 6th son of Marquis in ep 6 where she pushed her sisters into the hall. Him and his mother didn’t seem to mind that she’s concubine born. He was dumb enough to think that Molan is the innocent one.

I rewatched the episodes from the beginning and indeed, the 6th son of marquis thought (wrongly of course) that she was the decent, docile, gentle one....LOL  He is in for a surprise.  Molan seemed to think that because she was born the the favourite concubine that she is entitled and has a very high opinion of herself. I wanted to slap her everytime she threw tantrum and cried.  I enjoyed her bickering with 5th sister Rulan.  Rulan is tenacious.  Eventhough she was spoilt but she was not mean.  

2 hours ago, frenchfan said:

I rewatched the episodes from the beginning and indeed, the 6th son of marquis thought (wrongly of course) that she was the decent, docile, gentle one....LOL  He is in for a surprise.  Molan seemed to think that because she was born the the favourite concubine that she is entitled and has a very high opinion of herself. I wanted to slap her everytime she threw tantrum and cried.  I enjoyed her bickering with 5th sister Rulan.  Rulan is tenacious.  Eventhough she was spoilt but she was not mean.  

The moment Molan falls ima be so happy she deserves no happiness, i actually really support Rulan and her mother.

How the head woman of the household is treated is terrible and degrading honestly you are basically spitting in her face with this treatment. 

21 hours ago, hello210 said:

Wow...Daylight is doing so well...isn’t Like a Flowing River also their production? And they are both on top for ratings. I can see why because the cinematography in both dramas are so natural with the time periods and detailed. I’ve been trying to find MingLan and Jin Han OGT songs on iTunes with no luck. I love the MV and the song, especially that version with LY/FSF. FSF sang it for the Hunan New Year’s Eve concert (too bad LY didn’t make it but she posted about it on her Weibo)...just haven’t been able to find the full video. Both FSF and ZYL performed and from the little parts I found on YouTube, they did good.

actual tv rating is entirely different story, which is more representable than online rating.

Wang Kai's great river is doing amazing on tv rating too (consistently number 1) but Ming Lan is only so-so, like number 5 in the current drama airing with 0.5-0.6% of viewership count (which is low for zly drama).

Even the currently airing Tang Yan's 6 years old drama is doing better than this drama and this is considering the amount of money Ming lan is throwing into buying all those weibo hot searches every day for exposures, but people are not tuning in. In coming weeks there would be newer heavily anticipated drama starts airing like Zhou Dong Yi and Ariel's, so I worry the viewership is going to go down even further. Feel bad for zly since this is going to be her last drama before her break with her pregnancy and being a mother. well, no one can hit a jackpot every single time. 

9 minutes ago, gibas231 said:

actual tv rating is entirely different story, which is more representable than online rating.

Wang Kai's great river is doing amazing on tv rating too (consistently number 1) but Ming Lan is only so-so, like number 5 in the current drama airing with 0.5-0.6% of viewership count (which is low for zly drama).

Even the currently airing Tang Yan's 6 years old drama is doing better than this drama and this is considering the amount of money Ming lan is throwing into buying all those weibo hot searches every day for exposures, but people are not tuning in. In coming weeks there would be newer heavily anticipated drama starts airing like Zhou Dong Yi and Ariel's, so I worry the viewership is going to go down even further. Feel bad for zly since this is going to be her last drama before her break with her pregnancy and being a mother. well, no one can hit a jackpot every single time. 

Its recent episode was 0.720 and it has a average of 0.679

I think you are judging to early Like A Flowing River and Ming Lan are directly competing at the same time zone also Hunan TV overall this year has been way down. 

I think it’s because of the genre and people want action from LY like Princess Agents or the Journey of Flower. To me, TSOML is like Downton Abbey and the Jane Austen novels. This kind of stuff is right up my alley but boring to some people. 

12 minutes ago, hello210 said:

I think it’s because of the genre and people want action from LY like Princess Agents or the Journey of Flower. To me, TSOML is like Downton Abbey and the Jane Austen novels. This kind of stuff is right up my alley but boring to some people. 

Oooh i love Downton Abbey and Jane Austen's adaptations too, well i guess that makes us  'boring' ppl :lol:

But seriously, Minglan is not for everyone.

47 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Wouldn't disagree....some episodes are just really slow...and the only thing that kept me invested is the production's company attention to detail and ZLY (I started watching because of her)..but in some episodes, she barely has any screentime, and all we get is the annoying Molan, or worse the dad with his favourite concubine, all of whom I want to punch and can't wait for their downfall. 

Archived