[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

22 minutes ago, pralee said:

I don’t know who’s the guy is but the girl is definitely prostitute Wei.  She finally able to freed herself from the brothel.

Oh really, maybe I will watch again to assure myself but if it's pros Wei, I'm so. Happy for. Her.. So cool, she is such an intelligent and smart person, her wisdom shouldn't get overshadowed by the fact that she is a prostitute.. So happy they did that if the lady leaving is pros Wei 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jewelsc said:

NIF started off slow just like TsoML so give it a few more epis and it will sucks u in, trust me, u will not regret it :).

If u can withstand few more hours of Palace internal politics, plots, conspiracies etc, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace (handsome Wallace Hoe) and The story of Yanxie Palace .. very colorful and casts performances wr all fantastic.

• Like 4

Just watched the sub version of the end episodes. I must say in the end, I pitied Stepmother. She blamed the Gu family for her own predicament but she should also be smart enough to overcome it. Look at Grandmother who raised her whole family not of her bloodline and in defending her own decision she cut ties with her own Marquis family. In the end, it is rather a lame excuse. I suppose she took on a "character" that is so different from her true personality. Remember she said she would had more a satisfying life if she had been a prostitute in a brothel.

Her son was her worst disappointment as he did not reflect any of her genes and said that a lowly born Bai family had a better son in Gu Ting Ye.

• Like 6

I finally finished it all...it has been a smooth and rough journey watching TSOM, ( this was my 2nd historical cdrama that I religiously fallowed every ep after PA.)

I love this drama, so many lessons learned after watching it,love all the characters from antagonist to protagonist,each artist executed their roles very well and made us feel them, love them, hate them.

I wont say that ZLY was overshadowed by others, coz every characters have their own designated roles.

Most memorable scene to me that made me cry somuch is when Young  Minglan mother dies..and at ship crying with GM arms.and also rong er finally calling ML' Mother.

GrandMa and Minglan's love and care for each other is such a beautifull life.

Love the bonding relationship of ml and rulan on the first half of the drama.Daniang's meme face is such a funny and entertaining scene,

I like how it ended up, all family are there, except daniang..ML's wish "a peacefull life,a safe and sound family"have been granted.A loving, caring and understanding husband.and a cute lovely son.( Im a bit sad coz they dnt have much bonding as a family in the end.)

Thank you also for the producers, directors,writters and to all hardworking staffs and crews behind this beautifull drama this year.I will be rewatching this with my sister after resuming my lost sleeps.( having a 3-4 hrs sleep for 1.5 mnts is not healthy at all).

I ddnt joined the discussion much but I enjoyed reading everyone's opinion.thank you to all and God bless you all.and to my fellow cp shippers lets discuss again on the cp thread.

• Like 12

Loved this drama so much that I have been rewatching old episodes this week since I am not over it yet. Lol.

On this second re-watching, I noticed more starkly what irritated me about Qi Heng's relationship with Minglan - he never tried to understand where she was coming from and was always putting her in compromising situations. I felt he loved her but he was in love with the cute flawless Sixth Sheng Miss and never took her opinions or tried to understand her reasoning and her situation. The first polo match for example - with so many eyes and ears around, he was talking about the knee guards she gave him with so many others nearby. And then going to the Yuqing Monastery to corner her alone so he could express his love for her. That could have led to very disastrous consequences. And there were numerous other occasions. 

This was contrasted with how Gu Tingye regarded her. He was always aware of the precarious and difficult situation Minglan was in and took care never to put her in compromising situations. After saving her from the pirate attack, when  she didn't know who her saviour was initially, he reminded her she shouldn't have given her name to a random strange man. Or not accompanying her back in public after the funeral attack because it could create a scandal. And more importantly, he took her opinions seriously unlike QH. Although he was upset with her in her role in disrupting his proposed match with Yanran, he accepted her reasoning although he was mad enough to still threaten her with the idea that he could propose marriage to her instead.  Lol. He also gave serious thought to what she said about Rong-er's future and acted on it because he saw her as intelligent and an equal. QH only saw her as a cute girl he wanted to be with.

The contrast was also evident in the schoolroom debate when Minglan was asked her opinion on whether inheritance should be through birth position or merit. Gu Tingye was confident she could hold her own and had her own opinion, while Qi Heng was amazed that she could. 

I think if Minglan had married Qi Heng, she would have been frustrated eventually because Qi Heng had such a set idea of what she was which wasn't her at all. Marrying Gu Tingye was difficult because of his horrible family, but he also gave her the space to be herself and come into her own and it was a true partnership. It was also significant that before marriage, apart from Grandma, Gu Tingye was the only one whom she would have uncensored and honest conversations with.

One last side note - on Dr He. I think she would be happy enough too. But he was in awe of her and I don't think it would have been the type of equal partnership she had with Gu Tingye. She would be very fond of him though but he won't be able to support her the way Gu Tingye did as he was too soft.

• Like 15
  • Insightful 1

I finally finished the drama. There's so much to unpack.The longest drama I'd ever watched & I'm quite satisfied with it. All in all I really enjoyed the show, especially seeing how both ML & TY's development & growth unfolds from the beginning to the end, along w/ their relationship/interaction w everyone else. 

As for the last episode, it was a solid conclusion. My only gripe is how Empress Dowager didnt serve time/exiled for her action/set of events leading up to the rebellion/end when she was mostly responsible for. The most ingrate of them all along w/ Molan. 

• Like 9

On 2/15/2019 at 2:14 AM, m0us3y said:

What a journey! 

Every artiste played their character so well, from our beloved ML & GTY, to our second leads QH & WIFE, everyone from Sheng Family (Beloved granny, SH, DaNiang, RL, HL, CB, Molan), Shitou & XiaoTao, Rong'er, Danju, Mdm Zhang, even DaNiang's maidservant, to our protagonists, Mdm Qin, Aunty Kang, Aunty Wang, even MN. 

Relationships and love goes beyond our OTP of ML - GTY.

Granny - ML, GTY- Shitou, ML - XiaoTao & Danju, Rong'er - ML & GTY, CB - GTY, ML - Mdm Zhang, QH - wife were all very heartwarming and lovely to watch. 

I've laughed at GTY's antics, CB's hilarious actions, DaNiang's amusing expressions;

I've cried with ML over the mum's passing, granny's poisoning, and finally in her desperate attempt to save GTY, cried with Rong'er to witness the death of her own mum, and when she finally called ML "mum";

I've smiled at the sweetness and little intimate moments between ML - GTY.

Loved both the explosive GTY, and the more subtle, quiet and subdued ML; full of wisdom granny, straightforward RL, and comical DaNiang & CB.

Cheered when those that ML extended help to came back to show support, friendship, and loyalty from Mdm Zhang, Yanran, the Sheng's couz, Danju. 

Really liked the friendship formed btw ML and QH's wife under the most unlikely circumstances

It has its flaws and shortcomings, but pulled enough heartstrings, and gave enough hope to keep me going. 

It's a relatively "quiet" slice of life family drama, and I've enjoyed the subtleties of things, appreciated the suffering & limitations for women during the era, and loved the various relationships, that goes beyond blood and family.

It's not a perfect show, but definitely worth every minute of the time watching (and re-watching). 

It's been a great 1.5 months watching TSOML; reading & discussing the difference thoughts, perspectives, insights and analysis of the show and characters, sharing of spoilers,  previews and bts, historical facts, and translations. 

Thank you @cherubstomato @linhlinh111 @Golden Flower @nichiwoohee @dancingbee @lclarakl @Suzzy San @frenchfan @dito@minglan1@mooose @minoku2209 @leeza77 @jewelsc @hello210 @matrim @zenya22 @Jackie1048 @sava2sava @heatherbee @greenwatch08 @UnniSarah @lilkat75 @fra8 

Thanks & Youre welcome. Right back at you. Second thread I follow & really enjoyed interacting w/everyone here. A fun bunch. I still have so much thoughts about TSoML. I finished the drama just today. I've been trying to avoid the thread because of spoilers but now I'm all caught up/done.

• Like 7

On 2/15/2019 at 7:59 AM, shihuangdi said:

In the beginning I was also confused with Molan’s ending and why she is received with such an open arm. But from what I think - nobody figure out that Molan released Aunt Kang. The one who released aunt was LN’s old maid and she is probably go far away after being given money from Molan. So, everyone thinks that it was stepmom trick. And then the problem with her husband, I assume Molan’s family heard about it, so they pity her. I kinda hope Molan at least apologise to ML but giver her character she probably won’t do it. But I feel like in the end she shown great remorse because she starts helping grandma to walk. I think after the husband incident, she probably realise that her mom’s teaching are all wrong. 

Now trying to find another drama to watch ... any recommendation? I’m waiting for Queen Dugu to be sub, currently watching Haolan.

i tried watching NIF because it is recommended so much by ppl in this sub. But I watched 2 episodes but don’t understand a single thing :sweatingbullets:. I ended up watching Luzhen because of Zhao Li Ying (and Chen Xiao is there). 

I watched Legend of Dugu on youtube and it was fully subbed. The Legend of Hao Lan is fun to watch especially if you saw The story of Yanxi Palace, seeing the leads brought back for this drama is like a 2nd helping of awesomeness, I love the chemistry between them.

• Like 2

Can someone please clarify for me, just how many episodes are in this drama? Viki and most sources say 73, but asianwikipedia was saying there are 79 and that ML and GTY had a 2nd baby boy named, Gu Yuan. Somewhere else was saying that the viki version was a director's cut. Can anyone confirm??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Momigy21 said:

Can someone please clarify for me, just how many episodes are in this drama? Viki and most sources say 73, but asianwikipedia was saying there are 79 and that ML and GTY had a 2nd baby boy named, Gu Yuan. Somewhere else was saying that the viki version was a director's cut. Can anyone confirm??

That's something I would like to know. :crazy: I was wondering about that.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my love for this series, which has become one of my all-time favorite dramas. I watched it raw first and then went back to watch it subbed and realized I missed so much of the nuances because my Chinese is not good enough (I'm an ABC). I rewatched most of it again this weekend.  I wish it didn't have to end so soon because I could have easily watched at least 10 more episodes just on the happy married life between Ming Lan and GTY. I was hoping that she would finally call him 二郎 by the end of the series and I was hoping for some last great reunion scene between all their friends and family, but I'm also so relieved we got a happy ending with most of the family members accounted for. 

I only got into watching Chinese dramas recently (I used to watch HK dramas instead) so I probably missed a lot of good ones in the past...can any of you recommend dramas that are similar to 知否?知否? I've been watching mostly historical dramas but after 知否?知否? I think I would much prefer to watch slice of life shows about families. Thanks in advance!

• Like 9

On 2/17/2019 at 7:04 PM, ForgottenSoulx said:

Now the drama is finished ill catch up but its amazing it hit over 2% in rating's one of the most successful shows of the last few year's. 

I am so glad as there were quite a lot of negative comments while this drama was being filmed and in the production phase.  But likely our casts have solid audience who kept watching and decide for themselves.  I do not know most of the casts but  that did not stopped me from continuing the drama.  So so happy I made the right choice.

Now that TSOML has ended, I feel the void.  No other dramas has taken a fancy so I will wait for a while and just enjoy the peace and quiet.  BRAVO again to the production team for breaking 2% 

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

I am so glad as there were quite a lot of negative comments while this drama was being filmed and in the production phase.  But likely our casts have solid audience who kept watching and decide for themselves.  I do not know most of the casts but  that did not stopped me from continuing the drama.  So so happy I made the right choice.

Now that TSOML has ended, I feel the void.  No other dramas has taken a fancy so I will wait for a while and just enjoy the peace and quiet.  BRAVO again to the production team for breaking 2% 

I'm feeling the void too! I haven't felt this emptiness after finishing a drama for a long, long time. It's a testament to how awesome TSOML is! I almost don't know what to do with my free time now...there's like nothing to look forward to. :bawling: 

• Like 8

I finally watched this.

This was a really beautifully made series. The details were incredible. There were parts that I found to be overly dramatic, but other than that it was good.

My mother totally spoiled the pairing for me when she tried to get me to watch it, so I wasn't surprised when she ended up with Gu Tingye. I kind of wish we see more of the Gu family after what happened. I really think now that the madame is gone, the Gu family can coexist in peace.

I actually really like the ending where the old queen didn't die. As someone said in Chinese on youtube. When two bosses fights, it's not the bosses that get hurt but people around them. It's so true!

I liked the growth in Gu Tingye, the only thing I didn't like was the size of the risk he took at the end! He could have destroyed the future of his wife and his family if anything went wrong!! I mean I know it was calculated risk, but still... I hope he is done with his risk taking days and actually let Minglan have so peaceful days after this! But as a general... he is always going to be in danger especially when the king is planning to fight wars in the future. So, Minglan future may not be as peaceful as she wished.

• Like 7