[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

54 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

I think it was just revealed, even the Gu aunt missed it too and was fooled by Stepmom. The Gu aunt would not have wanted a woman from the brothel to be a concubine of the head of the family of Gu. The only reason the Gu family accepted TY's mom who was a merchant's daughter is because they needed her money and they hated themselves and TY's mom for being associated to a merchant's daughter although TY pointed out that they enmoyed the luxury that the Bai money brought them . Gu aunt said that stepmom asked for her help to make ML accept the concubine whom the stepmom recommended.

Oh OK, I thought Fengxian is a relative of GTY aunt, that’s why she was sent as concubine for GTY. I think stepmom mentioned that Fengxian is not as attractive, that’s why she couldn’t get GTY favour. If she is a prostitute, shouldn’t she be quite attractive and skillful. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, fra8 said:

Even if it is planned, I guess there are risks for ml. Something unpredictable or not planned could happen. Not every plan goes as planned. And when gty is not there, she will be alone to fight their enemies. She is at the mercy of stepmom and others. 

Mte, either he feels ml and their son’s safety is severely at risk, or worst case, he prepares to die for his cause, if everything went wrong, ml could get implicated just by being his wife

20 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Excerpt for 74th

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4338241147727548

Ml to visit gty in lock up. Gty so happy and chase out prince huan from his cell (they were playing chess at the time.. Ha ha) 

Gty’s ability to not be miserable in dire situation is amazing :joy: just say that ml will be there, he’ll make a pity party to get ml’s attention. Must be exhausting being his enemies

wait... ml should cane him if he’s mentioning separation just to get her pity :angry:

Queen started the rebellion. The trailer

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4338257610089937

Ml kick ***

17 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Gty’s ability to not be miserable in dire situation is amazing :joy: just say that ml will be there, he’ll make a pity party to get ml’s attention. Must be exhausting being his enemies

wait... ml should cane him if he’s mentioning separation just to get her pity :angry:

She slapped his thigh.. Ha ha

2 hours ago, minoku2209 said:

Yeah almost all minglan's scenes after grandma poisoning is sad but i think the silent crying is the most painful scene to watch. I guess as always we will surely be crying with her this time :tears:

I hope she will succeed to get the empress help to seek justice on her husband & kill those 6 villians for good.

3 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Poor ml, she even can feel the sweet jealousy and throwing tantrum just for a short time, now she has to wear her armour to battle 6 villains. Since her pregnancy until after delivery, she has been silently crying. Even before the empress, only her tears fell down onto the floor, drop by drop. How helpless she felt. The silent tears actually moved the empress. 

Every teardrop, every hardship, every pain... are all challenges for Ming Lan to fight and overcome so that at the other end of the tunnel, she will come out stronger and stronger so that she can use the strength to protect those dear to her.

45 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Excerpt for 74th

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4338241147727548

Ml to visit gty in lock up. Gty so happy and chase out prince huan from his cell (they were playing chess at the time.. Ha ha) 

Playing chess with Prince Huan lol..He needs to shove him out of his cell or else ML will figure out there is more than what meets the eye.

3 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Queen started the rebellion. The trailer

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4338257610089937

Ml kick ***

She slapped his thigh.. Ha ha

Xiaotao better prepare the cane stick, a slap only tickles him

wait, does this mean gty still in the city when the rebellion happened? We still have 4 more episodes right?

Spoiler

Please someone tell me what they are talking about in the last scene? Why are they hugging? Is it good hugging or sad hugging? 

5 hours ago, leeza77 said:

He didn't go to Prostitute wei because of that.. He, prince huan and few of their group actually used pro wei's room as their centre to plot and discuss on political issue. It's a clever move as no one will suspect them. 

This is Ms. Wei who makes Ming Lan burn with jealousy though it is all misunderstanding :)
Well, there are reasons for Ming Lan to be upset when this Ms. Wei is not only pretty but also smart. She is also good at listening and that is why men like to go to her. GTY and his gang must be very comfortable with her enough to use her room for strategic planning.

M9gYWmc.png

16 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Xiaotao better prepare the cane stick, a slap only tickles him

wait, does this mean gty still in the city when the rebellion happened? We still have 4 more episodes right?

Hide contents

Please someone tell me what they are talking about in the last scene? Why are they hugging? Is it good hugging or sad hugging? 

Guess ml said only gty for her. She doesn't want the divorce. She'll be there for him for better or worse. He's so exhilarated that ml went to empress to plea mercy for gty.. Affirmation of ml's devotion to him. Aside fr grandma, ml go all out for him. Ohh.. Ml is sad, gty is happy

7 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Guess ml said only gty for her. She doesn't want the divorce. She'll be there for him for better or worse. He's so exhilarated that ml went to empress to plea mercy for gty.. Affirmation of ml's devotion to him. Aside fr grandma, ml go all out for him. Ohh.. Ml is sad, gty is happy

When I said I want them to reach an understanding of mutual love

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c60312d364e2e7567

6 hours ago, m0us3y said:

There seems to be a lot of speculation in terms of what GTY knows and what he doesn't.

And what the Emperor really knows..

The previews may also be rather misleading. 

Even if this is all part of GTY's plan to weed out ED's supporter, I do believe there were elements that caught him by surprise. Ie MN to come back, for one, would not be in his plans since MN really has little interest in the fight btw Emperor and ED. 

Reckon it's safe to take that it's part planned, part unplanned. And the stakes have gotten so high for him to let ML go. 

Show has established that he would protect her no matter what, but also established that he truly loves her, and isn't one who would propose for separation just to test her. 

I don't know. It feels the matter is too serious to be a test. He has always been able to wager it all for her, so it has to be bigger than anything for him to propose that. 

Now I just need to brace for impact...

Everyone seems to want to have a piece of our power couple, everyone wants to contribute to their downfall. 

I'm sure they will rise from the ashes, but first, we need to see them getting burned...:tears:

Exactly.. I also feel that some are planned some came as surprising but it might still be in control, but it seems the resolution planned will have to be very intense now, and that's why GTY is asking her to separate so she can atleast be a little bit more safe.. So sad but it seems to GTY, he just wants her to be well disregarding his sacrifice.. I think it's not to test ML, but he really wanted to, like the grandma weibo said, it might be a grand plan and ML was not told for her safety and also to make the plot look so real.. GTY is someone that will sacrifice his life to get his plans done and he is someone that will not let someone down.. So he probably wants ML to go back to Sheng house so the Sheng can protect her while he carries out his plan and if anything goes wrong, she does not have to face the GUs or be a widow.. I actually feel sad for GTY, for being such a loyal officer and to ML, for having such a loyal officer as husband.. And we also know he wouldn't even want ML out of his sight for one seconds, so he must have a lot of fear regarding the outcome of his plan and how it would affect ML if she knows and if it goes wrong.. :bawling:

49 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

That's what I love most about the character GTY, the ability to still be in control of his bad happenings is amazing, even if he planned or it is not planned, he still make sure not to fell down by his obstacles but would rather make best for it

14 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

When I said I want them to reach an understanding of mutual love

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c60312d364e2e7567

In normal circumstances, yes i agreed. But gty, despite of having a cheerful disposition, i think he's an unsecure guy. Being unloved by the father and fake love by the stepmom. When he saw the kind of love and devotion share between ml and grandma, he wanted the same thing. And he got it tonight from ml. I can't blame him for being happy for that despite the crappy circumstances. He didn't plan that. Just took pleasure out of it. 

There is one thing that caught me off guard in this drama--the amount of well placed humor.  It's not over the top, slapstick comedy (which I hate), it's a natural flow and it helps tone down the angst so it doesn't bring down the drama.  The actors are also natural in their interaction which makes the humor works.

Some of my favorite comic scenes (there are many, many, more):

1) GTY - when his stepmother and aunt wanted to bring him the news that ML had been "engaged" to HE and all the drama surrounding his female cousin.  GTY informed them that ML and HE wasn't engaged, and he was the one behind the plot to break them up so he could get ML for himself. 

2) ML - When she had to escape from the palace as a page and deliver the decree from the king. She was running from "Second Uncle" (GTY) and finally noticed it was him, and the crying conversation that ensued with him laughing at her pointing out that the Officer she was looking for was with him--I love that scene.

3) ML's Father - although the scene was very serious when the family met to discuss grandmother's poisoning, the looks he would direct at ML and the look she would give him back was pure, connective, acting genius. 

4) GTY's Brother's Wife - when ML was having her baby and the fire burned down GTY brother's house.  Evil mother in law didn't know how the fire got started (after they tried to burn down GTY's house with a lantern).

DIL's :  "Mother-in-Law, you really don't know how our fire started?"

MIL's Assistant:  "I heard from second house's report that the wind was strong and it started from a flicker that flew over from the yard next door."

MIL:  "Next door?"

DIL: "I bet that flicker is very tall and named Shitou."

I laughed so hard at this conversation, while also thinking--you don't mess with GTY and his family.

There are many, many, many hilarious scenes. This drama could be heavy melodramatic or it could have been comedy. However, the writer struck the right balance.

3 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

In normal circumstances, yes i agreed. But gty, despite of having a cheerful disposition, i think he's an unsecure guy. Being unloved by the father and fake love by the stepmom. When he saw the kind of love and devotion share between ml and grandma, he wanted the same thing. And he got it tonight from ml. I can't blame him for being happy for that despite the crappy circumstances. He didn't plan that. Just took pleasure out of it. 

True, he was just so happy she has placed him as a very important part of her life like grandma in his heart.. Even though the situation is bad, he was still happy she is with him through it.. 

episode 67 and 68: while the empress and her cohorts eyes are directed on GTY, Prince Huan and the emperor, I think the emperor has a secret weapon in the sage and calm scholar CHANGBAI. Nobody is paying any attention to him. And Changbai's most stealth and most efficient weapon would be his sister Ming Lan. The reason I say this because of the embroidery of Princess Zhao that GTY presented back to ML. Point the attention to GTY whom everyone thinks is the pillar and the offensive strength of the emperor and cover the secret pillar of offense that will wage a surprise attack while they busy with GTY. 

lclarakl said:

I laughed so hard at this conversation, while also thinking--you don't mess with GTY and his family.

There are many, many, many hilarious scenes. This drama could be heavy melodramatic or it could have been comedy. However, the writer struck the right balance.

@lclarakl 

My favorite was when GTY went to the forest with Shitou after the jealousy fight

with ML and while roasting poor bunny, Chang Bai arrives. The conversation they had cracked me up with Changbai reciting poetry verses, sighing or rolling his eyes everytime GTY complained about ML. While GTY was being irritated, I was cracking up everytime Chang Bai responded. I enjoyed that exchange very much. 

The other one is the exchange between Big Madam Sheng and Countess Wu when Big Madam went to negotiate marriage for Molan and 6th Liang while Countess Wu countered with wanting ML in addition to Molan. They were using methaphors but the countess metaphor descriptions of Molan cracked me up. 

Madam Sheng was a hoot a comic relief until her sister Kang woman arrived at her doorstep. 

On 5/28/2017 at 11:42 PM, angelangie said:

Details:

Chinese title: 庶女明兰传 (Shù nǚ míng lán chuán) / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦 (Zhī fǒu? Zhī fǒu? Yīng shì lǜféi hóng shòu)
English title: The Story of Ming Lan

Genre: Ancient, Romance, Vengeance

Episodes: 70

Director: Zhang Kai Zhou (Battle of Changsha 战长沙,  Love Me If You Dare, When A Snail Falls in Love 如果蜗牛有爱情Ode To Joy 2 欢乐颂 2)

Broadcast Period: Dec/25/2018

Novel: Do You Know? It Ought To Be a Red Flower Amongst The Leaves (知否知否应是绿肥红瘦)

Cast:

Zhao Li Ying (趙麗穎) as Sheng MingLan (盛明蘭)

An outcast in the Sheng Family, her existence was ignore by her own father, where sister rivals among each other to survive, where the worst always waiting to fallen upon one. Ming Lan however persist against fate, under her grandmother care, she flourish from being an outcast into someone will determine the fate of her own family.

盛家最不受寵的女兒,自幼所處父親不重視,姐妹欺壓難纏的困境,不僅生存艱難,深宅之中更處處深藏意想不到的危機。所幸明蘭知命卻不受命運擺弄,在祖母盛老太太的關愛與扶持下,她藏起聰慧,掩埋鋒芒,在萬般打壓之下依然自強自立,從在家中備受冷落欺凌,到成為影響著家族興榮的舉足輕重的人物。

Feng Shao Feng (馮紹峰) as Gu TingYe (顧廷燁)

Gu TingYe is the unruly son, who always venture into the wine house, where the father had also kind of written him off as a pretty useless son. Knows MingLan since young, had also save MingLan once before, while MingLan going through some hardships and prevail through it, he left house and enter the military where he score a winning point where he ask for MingLan hand in marriage as his reward.

世家侯府公子,年少時卻頗為頑劣,流連於楚館酒肆,更被父親老侯爺斥為不肖子,少時就識得明蘭,並數次救明蘭於危難之中,當明蘭在深宅中艱難求存並漸漸走上家族中心的位置時,顧廷燁也經歷了家門變故而輾轉流離,幡然醒悟去京從軍,建得一番功名,並善用智謀求娶明蘭。

Zhu Yi Long (朱一龍 ) as Qi Heng (齊衡)

2nd son of Qi Family, like Ming Lan, but due to family objections unable to get together with Ming Lan.

齊公府二公子,喜歡明蘭,但因家庭的緣故無法如願。

Shi Shi (施詩) as Sheng MoLan (盛墨蘭)

Ming Lan fourth elder sister,  Sheng HongYu Lin QinShuang daughter, vicious as well as full of jealousy, also MingLan greatest rival before her marriage

明蘭的四姐,盛紘與林噙霜之庶出女兒,狠毒善妒,是明蘭出嫁前最大的衝突對象。

Zhang JiaNing (張佳寧) as Sheng RuLan (盛如蘭)

Ming fifth elder sister, Sheng HongYu Wang RuoFu 2nd daughter, while she is haughty, her character is not that bad

明蘭的五姐,盛紘與王若弗嫡出的二女兒,雖性格嬌蠻,但本性不壞。

Synopsis:

A pessimistic and negative daughter of a concubine living in the ancient times thought – since life is so difficult, why should one invest serious effort in struggling to live.

The life of an ancient noble woman is often determined and controlled by her family. In addition, one’s actions often implicates one’s entire family – thus, it is fairly common to see an unexpected calamity result in suffering borne by one’s whole family. Managing to live a good and successful life while retaining one’s dignity is simply too difficult to achieve.

Cr shushengbar

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Coming soon...

Additional Links:

The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 Raw Episodes

Do You Know? It Ought To Be a Red Flower Amongst The Leaves (知否知否应是绿肥红瘦) Novel English Translation

Zhao Li Ying Official Soompi Thread

Battle of Changsha 战长沙 Official Drama Thread

When He Comes Close Your Eyes 他来了请闭眼 Official Drama Thread

When A Snail Falls in Love 如果蜗牛有爱情 Official Drama Thread

Ode To Joy 2 欢乐颂 2 Official Drama Thread

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to moderators 
angelangie l LavelyShai

54 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Looks like Molan's husband has discovered what she has been up too.

Can someone please explain the conversation between Molan and her husband? I only get the part where he asked her why she married him, and whe she said because she loves him he said richard simmons.

Looks like her husband mentions something about ML and how evil Molan and her mother are. Did he find out about Molan involvement in the releasing Aunt Kang?

Archived