[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

6 hours ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Other men, whether like or hate their legal wives can keep as many concubines to their hearts desires.

Must be really difficult to be a woman during those times

@Katrina Abdul Talib  This was Aunt Kang biggest problem. After CL died and she found Danning and her husband marriage had improved she got furious about it and stormed out trying to figure out ways to disrupt her sisters house.. Using Grannty was pwrfect way and she could also get money out of the Gu's since she hated the fact of hearing ML won't take in a concubine for him but I'm sure she knew it wasn;t to no fault of ML that GTY wasn't going to have a concubine it was GTY himsef who said he didn;t want no other women but ML.. He just wasn't ready to take in a concubine all because of Manning.. This also upset Aunt Kamg with jealous rage hearing a Marquis decide to give his love to know one but his main wife who was a concubine born child..

I'm just curious to why she didn't take her Shu daughter to her sister husband to be his concubine.. CL was dead at that time..

6 hours ago, mooose said:

Now we have the battle of the familes and some delicious suspense as we don't know how it  plays out. Old Madam Kang vs ML is way better than Manniang or even Stepmom vs ML.

@moose  I'm looking forward to see how ML bring Old Lady Wang prestigous house down causing the ED also to loose face and hopefully to shut her up once and for all.. I'm hoping ML play the Shu daughters cards with the Old Bat.. Especially the one she told to kill herself in ML house so she could sue for money just to be able to support her husband sons he bore with many concubines.. 

What I'm finding hard to believe is all those servants that got harmed but Aunt Kangs knife is all supposed to be lying.. I see another attempt on ML life afer GTY is sent to the border.. 

Hopefully Ronger will testify how her mom tried to kill her maybe she'll even come out with her son who might not be dead.. But I still see Evil step mom going after ML and her son life

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm wondering what GTY Aunt will think about these aqusation brought against him by evil step mom and the 4th anf 5th house.. Will she also go to bat for her nephew knowing that step mother is out to gain her son the marquis title and if she gets it's she'll cut the rest of the Gu houses out for good according to the wil..l 

2 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

I mean if it's not dramatic then it's not a drama.. :lol:.. I really love how they are using the crappy reasons to maybe imprison him since we don't know how it would be.. That's why it's fictional and just based on fantasy imagination.. They are just adapting the novel and not recreating the novel. So they definitely would want to make some dramatic and unreasonable plot to it that would definitely not happen in real life.. So in the end, it's just a fictional fantasy traditional drama where everything, reasonable or unreasonable, can be proposed. :)

Today in politics (real life) we see all sorts of unbelievable dramas.. just to muddle up voters mind.

So this drama is no exception, poor HS for one you can see him flustered and gawking left centre and right.

Again,  SH surprised that ML isnt the same docile gentle daughter that he know is hilarious.

Have you seen the troubles your marquis son-in-law brought to ml’s life?? Murderous stepmom in law, nosy annoying aunts and uncles in laws, corrupt village officials, spies, cunning crazy baby momma, emperor power strugle with ed, people trying to shove women to her house every chance they got.. it would be a miracle if she stays the same :joy:

All the villains are crawling out of the wood works to proclaim a united front and bring GTY down.Looks like people who were helped by them desert the couple in their need.

It is them v/s all.

The plotting will be heightened henceforth.Waiting for ML to go on the offense and not spare them at all.

25 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Again,  SH surprised that ML isnt the same docile gentle daughter that he know is hilarious.

Have you seen the troubles your marquis son-in-law brought to ml’s life?? Murderous stepmom in law, nosy annoying aunts and uncles in laws, corrupt village officials, spies, cunning crazy baby momma, emperor power strugle with ed, people trying to shove women to her house every chance they got.. it would be a miracle if she stays the same :joy:

:sweat_smile: so true, she was always not gentke but she didn't show it but after all the troubles, she just had to show them who she is.. I'm so sad about what's to come 

33 minutes ago, minglanfan said:

Looks like the empress is not willing to help ML

So sad she can't help them too, I think she has actually begged the king before in this matter but he dismissed her and got angry at her.. So, maybe so that people don't say she wants prince Huan to rebel, that's why she is now choosing to not help.. But it's still so sad and like ML said during grandma's case, it's those that are willing to give it all up that can help sincerely..... ML let's bang that drum for justice.. 

4 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

I mean if it's not dramatic then it's not a drama.. :lol:.. I really love how they are using the crappy reasons to maybe imprison him since we don't know how it would be.. That's why it's fictional and just based on fantasy imagination.. They are just adapting the novel and not recreating the novel. So they definitely would want to make some dramatic and unreasonable plot to it that would definitely not happen in real life.. So in the end, it's just a fictional fantasy traditional drama where everything, reasonable or unreasonable, can be proposed. :)

I love that line.:lol:Now all watchers are in the same boat.No one knows how it will unfold from here on.The emperor has been giving mixed signals.In epi 65 it looked like he was putting up a show and had things up his sleeve...In epi 67 he seems to have forgotten that GTY doesn't care much about trying to become a power center by himself.He is a loyal supporter and would like to remain so.He is becoming a pro at oscillating like SH.

9 hours ago, dito said:

They should have kept the original scene from the book....Molan coming out wet from the water.

Though that wouldn't have caused the same furore as the one Colin Firth caused in his wet shirt in P&P.:blush:

I agree with @minglan1 that 1995 TV version is the best P&P ever.

Anyways, I have to admit with all its inaccuracies and hard to make sense plot twists....this drama is still much better than the others out there. 

I just have to stop watching the freaking previews. They are seriously stressing me out.

But I'm a spoiler addict ...can't help but have a peek.:grimace:

I don't mind a few flaws but when it's such an obvious plot hole then it's irritating to watch.

This drama is actually better than the majority, but it is how it's supposed to be. I rarely watch C drama in the past few years, cuz the quality's been going down, nonsense script writing, crappy idol actors, lousy productions etc. Most big IPs spend a fortune on popular idols, inducing cliche protagonists, trying to squeeze money from female audiences. I normally only watch a drama when it's over with good reviews. Especially with ZLY, her recent dramas all started well but ended up like richard simmons. However I decided to follow TSoML from the beginning bc of 2 reasons:

1. I really like the original novel

2. I have trust in Daylight Entertainment. If you don't know Daylight Entertainment has quite a reputation in drama land recently. Most of their products have really high quality, like NiF, Battle of Changsha, Ode of joy... (I watch all of them). They always put careful preparation and great effort in their production, and they reuse most of their supporting actors (which I like). That's why I have high hopes for this drama and willing to take the risk before the final scene is out, although I was a little worried about the main cast. None of the main leads are recognized for their acting abilities and Daylight Entertainment is known for not working with idol actors. However, TSoML is a big IP and I assume they know what they are doing.

The drama turns out fine, I mean it's fun watching but it doesn't live up to my expectations. The acting is average. There are a few moments of outstanding performances but most of the time it's average. The supporting roles are great though. But there 2 things that they disappointed me. First is the script-writing. I understand they had to change the plot here and there to fit the drama, but they should pay attention to the logic. This is not some lousy cheap production. This is Daylight Entertainment's second biggest drama of the year. It shouldn't make me think "Hey this doesn't make any sense". They had a really good source material at hand and they should have utilized it better. 

Second is the drama completely screwed up my 2 most awaiting scene: GTY and ML's 2 arguments. These 2 scenes in the book were so impressive and they were like, the roots, the foundation of their relationship so I was so excited to see it on screen. I'm so sorry to say none of them lived up to the hype.

21 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

I don't mind a few flaws but when it's such an obvious plot hole then it's irritating to watch.

This drama is actually better than the majority, but it is how it's supposed to be. I rarely watch C drama in the past few years, cuz the quality's been going down, nonsense script writing, crappy idol actors, lousy productions etc. Most big IPs spend a fortune on popular idols, inducing cliche protagonists, trying to squeeze money from female audiences. I normally only watch a drama when it's over with good reviews. Especially with ZLY, her recent dramas all started well but ended up like richard simmons. However I decided to follow TSoML from the beginning bc of 2 reasons:

2. I have trust in Daylight Entertainment. If you don't know Daylight Entertainment has quite a reputation in drama land recently. Most of their products have really high quality, like NiF, Battle of Changsha, Ode of joy... (I watch all of them). They always put careful preparation and great effort in their production, and they reuse most of their supporting actors (which I like). That's why I have high hopes for this drama and willing to take the risk before the final scene is out, although I was a little worried about the main cast. None of the main leads are recognized for their acting abilities and Daylight Entertainment is known for not working with idol actors. However, TSoML is a big IP and I assume they know what they are doing.

The drama turns out fine, I mean it's fun watching but it doesn't live up to my expectations. The acting is average. There are a few moments of outstanding performances but most of the time it's average. The supporting roles are great though. But there 2 things that they disappointed me. First is the script-writing. I understand they had to change the plot here and there to fit the drama, but they should pay attention to the logic. This is not some lousy cheap production. This is Daylight Entertainment's second biggest drama of the year. It shouldn't make me think "Hey this doesn't make any sense". They had a really good source material at hand and they should have utilized it better. 

Second is the drama completely screwed up my 2 most awaiting scene: GTY and ML's 2 arguments. These 2 scenes in the book were so impressive and they were like, the roots, the foundation of their relationship so I was so excited to see it on screen. I'm so sorry to say none of them lived up to the hype.

I think you feel like this because you've read the novel and you have some kind of expectations for some scenes that eventually couldn't live up to your expectations.. For me this drama is definitely not averagely done or plotted for me.. All scenes because I don't know how it was originally made in the novel, have kept me on my toes and they've been so great.. There are a lot of climatic scenes for me too... And I think daylight entertainment are not lacking in this in terms of story or connections with scenes, we just have to really focus on dialogues to know the connections because this drama is more about the dialogue.. So everything has been great for me but I know it wouldn't be the same for those that read the novel.. 

10 minutes ago, Leila Essalih said:

pease ; can someone help me; why GTY g t the borthel? is he over with WEI prostit?

No, he went to meet the Shen General and one Dan General.. The Wei Madam is just a freind of them all.. They don't really see as a prostitute., so they just chat with her like normal friends.. 

12 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

I have to agree with you. I have been feeling a bit disappointed with one thing or the other with each passing episode.

I wanted to watch this drama mainly because it was being produced by Daylight. I like their production values. I didn't like the whole novel...felt it was slow and slice of life is not my thing. But I liked some parts of the book like ML-granny relationship...the after marriage portion....when GTY and ML become the power couple.

And both of those portions in the drama have disappointed me in one way or other.

Things that don't make sense......I have a list of those. Writing fails, logic fails....smart characters suddenly becoming stupid. For.e.g. Manniang had a knife hidden in her sleeve and attacked GTY....ML regretted not searching her clothes. The Kang cousin stabbed herself...ML said the same thing again. Smart character that ML is supposed to be...will she make the same mistake twice? 

If Manniang was supposed to come out again....why change the attack during child birth scene. What sense does it make to replace her with Kang Aunt when she is being brought back again to the story by the writers. 

Those 2 scenes you are talking about are my favorites scenes too. It was supposed to be one of the most heartbreaking conversations between GTY and ML....and they made it funny walk in the park?? 

The way these 2 scenes happen was most essential for these characters growth and as you said foundation of their relationship. 

When GTY questions her feelings for him. He, who thought he knew his wife comes to realize that actually he doesn't know her deepest pains and scars. The reason for her living like this.....how ML's words and tears break his heart...and makes him give in and decide to accept whatever she was willing to give and be.

Then in the next one....ML completely opens up and points out to him she too has the right to question his feelings for her. As he has also never been truly open with her....not given what he was demanding from her. And makes GTY faces his own shortcomings.

Maybe we got disappointed because we had too much expectations from these creators.

Daylight is one of the best production houses these days in this industry but they need better writers.  I have felt this while watching LMIYD, WSFIL, BOC.....all of them had writing and logic fails.(not NIF. maybe coz the author of the book was the main screen writer.) 

Anyways, I do agree that this drama is tons better than some of the others out there. But when you are spending so much money on authentic looking sets, props and costumes....can you spare a little for better writers. I guess they emptied their bank accounts for multiple seasons of "Like a flowing river" or whatever its called.

The first half of this drama was much better than the second half.  After they got married, it's like the writer(s) ran out of ideas or something.  Instead of developing the characters and storylines further, they just took the lazy way out: create unnecessary drama through crazy/illogical characters:

Manning - makes no sense how she went crazy after she lost her son and wants to kill ML and GTY

Step-mother - Goodness I'm so tired of this woman and her endless scheming

Aunt Kang - so unnecessary and makes no sense why she would risk so much to poison Granny or why she hates ML so much just because she is successful

EQ - another illogical and selfish character

Plot just got so tired and the last 30 episodes were basically just people plotting against the main couple....

40 minutes ago, deslynn88 said:

The first half of this drama was much better than the second half.  After they got married, it's like the writer(s) ran out of ideas or something.  Instead of developing the characters and storylines further, they just took the lazy way out: create unnecessary drama through crazy/illogical characters:

Manning - makes no sense how she went crazy after she lost her son and wants to kill ML and GTY

Step-mother - Goodness I'm so tired of this woman and her endless scheming

Aunt Kang - so unnecessary and makes no sense why she would risk so much to poison Granny or why she hates ML so much just because she is successful

EQ - another illogical and selfish character

Plot just got so tired and the last 30 episodes were basically just people plotting against the main couple....

Actually I feel like it makes sense but all of it occurring at once is the problem. Aunt Kang has been spoiled her whole life and hates to see other she considers less than her doing better. So her hatred is understandable. Plus she killed a lot of people prior to trying to kill grandma and got away with it. So she probably thought she could get away with this one as well. Step-mother kind of makes sense but at the same time it doesn't. I kind of wish we got to see or hear about how she grew up. Her not receiving love for her husband and plotting for her son doesn't suffice for me. As for EQ, I'm not such who you are referring to. Do you mean the Empress Dowager? Or someone else. Lastly, Manning makes sense to me a little. Going crazy after losing her son is understandable but what's not understandable is her hatred for GTY and ML. Well okay I understand why she hates them but it still seems crazy to me. Honestly, from what I read I wish they stuck with the book. 

45 minutes ago, dito said:

Daylight is one of the best production houses these days in this industry but they need better writers.  I have felt this while watching LMIYD, WSFIL, BOC.....all of them had writing and logic fails.(not NIF. maybe coz the author of the book was the main screen writer.) 

Anyways, I do agree that this drama is tons better than some of the others out there. But when you are spending so much money on authentic looking sets, props and costumes....can you spare a little for better writers. I guess they emptied their bank accounts for multiple seasons of "Like a flowing river" or whatever its called.

Yeah I think they put all their resources this year into "Like a flowing river", they didn't even have their A-team in this project. All the pre-producion like settings and clothes look cheap too. Daylight had many great dramas a few years ago, like NiF, the disguiser, Ode to joy but recently it's quality is going down. It's still good but not as outstanding as before, except for maybe Like a flowing river, but that series isn't popular to foreign viewers.

I wonder why Chinese drama producers don't consult the original authors on the screenplays. I see normally dramas which have the original authors as screenwriters and stay true to the original book are more likely to be successful. They bought popular books to adapt bc those books already have massive fanbases and they want to attract their readers, but then they decide to mess things up? What a waste!

I really like this drama. The otp has great chemistry, the secondary characters are interesting, the production is not bad. The only thing I am not sure about is that they overdid the characters plotting against the main couple. It seems too much.

but I am waiting to see the resolution to see if it makes sense. 

the book wasn’t my cup of tea, so I don’t mind the changes even if I see some plot holes or contrived scenes. However I watch dramas just to relax and to improve my Chinese. .

On 2/7/2019 at 5:58 PM, dito said:

I do not like how they are dragging this. She was trying to kill an innocent child....many people saw her and tried to stop her.

Also they had a freaking box full of evidence against Kang aunt for the poisoning...how can this mother be so shameless as to call her monster of a daughter, innocent?

Changbai in the book was much more persuasive in contrast. He shut her up completely with his arguments. He even convinced Kang aunts brother to stop trying to protect the woman who was destroying their Wang family.

I think that from the look of it, Aunty Kang mom is of a noble family so her words will be taken above that of servants even though they reliable witnesses.  Besides those witnesses are Gu family household.......

Wohoooooo Guifei is getting her just dessert now.  The ED wants to keep her son to show that she is loyal to the dowager.  Served her right for being a two-faced witch!  She was feeling all smug and smirking when the emperor got angry with his empress for defending GTY.   Et bien voilà........

Archived