[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

I think the Wang (Aunt Kang family) wants to sue GTY for killing Auntie Kang. They mentioned how GTY cruelly stabbed Aunt Kang. Then stepmom, I think is saying something about this incident happens at GTY courtyard, implying that GTY is responsible for her death

brief translation...

Spoiler

First, stepmom was persuading 4th family couple to join hands with her threatening that they have done many bad deeds and blamed them on GTY before and GTY would not favor them in the future. Both Wang mother and son are appealing to emperor about GTY killing Aunty Kang. The step-mom is saying Aunty Kang went to ML's house just to help rescue fire and fire at GTY's house was accident. However, GTY sent his subordinate Shitou to burn down her son't courtyard. At the end, a minister was telling emperor that though GTY is new imperial supporter, but he has killed old minister's daughter and he can't be set free without getting punished. ML was saying GTY got into trouble because of her and her Sheng family (Aunty Kang and her involvement with grandma poisoning). GTY said it is not true. His relatives will attempt to kill him no matter what and send Aunty Kang to kill him. His life will be nothing without ML and he feels his life is meaningful by waking up every morning with ML next to him.

I am very late to this forum, could someone who has read the novel,  tell me if this is a happy ending? I am so tired to get so invested in a Chinese drama that I like and everyone dies in the end and I feel like I wasted my time. Things are getting pretty dark with everyone conspiring to bring GTY down. I don't understand why that awful old lady can sue him when he was defending his wife and child's lives. That crazy Kang woman was about to stab ML and her baby.

26 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

I think the Wang (Aunt Kang family) wants to sue GTY for killing Auntie Kang. They mentioned how GTY cruelly stabbed Aunt Kang. Then stepmom, I think is saying something about this incident happens at GTY courtyard, implying that GTY is responsible for her death

I do not like how they are dragging this. She was trying to kill an innocent child....many people saw her and tried to stop her.

Also they had a freaking box full of evidence against Kang aunt for the poisoning...how can this mother be so shameless as to call her monster of a daughter, innocent?

Changbai in the book was much more persuasive in contrast. He shut her up completely with his arguments. He even convinced Kang aunts brother to stop trying to protect the woman who was destroying their Wang family.

1 minute ago, hell59 said:

I am very late to this forum, could someone who has read the novel,  tell me if this is a happy ending? I am so tired to get so invested in a Chinese drama that I like and everyone dies in the end and I feel like I wasted my time. Things are getting pretty dark with everyone conspiring to bring GTY down. I don't understand why that awful old lady can sue him when he was defending his wife and child's lives. That crazy Kang woman was about to stab ML and her baby.

The novel had an happy ending. Hopefully the drama will have one too.

But you can never be 100% sure about Chinese dramas. Only thing keeping my hopes up is the production house Daylight....almost all of their dramas have positive endings. 

59 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

So it is aunty kang's death that gets GTY in trouble.In a way it's good as one can prove how Kang and Qin's evil deeds forced him to act in saving his wife and newborn son.There is a strong glimmer of hope that he would regain his status again if punished,for a happy ending with his wife and children.:)

33 minutes ago, dito said:

I do not like how they are dragging this. She was trying to kill an innocent child....many people saw her and tried to stop her.

Also they had a freaking box full of evidence against Kang aunt for the poisoning...how can this mother be so shameless as to call her monster of a daughter, innocent?

Changbai in the book was much more persuasive in contrast. He shut her up completely with his arguments. He even convinced Kang aunts brother to stop trying to protect the woman who was destroying their Wang family.

This will be easier to show ML taking charge even in court if required. It is her family matter and she was the cornerstone of the incidents.ML will show the evidences and prove GTY was the victim rather than a perpetrator.Save him, the emperor and put ED in a spot.

The damsel who rescues everyone from distress.:D

1 hour ago, dito said:

The novel had an happy ending. Hopefully the drama will have one too.

But you can never be 100% sure about Chinese dramas. Only thing keeping my hopes up is the production house Daylight....almost all of their dramas have positive endings. 

Thank you so much for the info. The one thing about Chinese dramas is that they are so long and I invest so much time in them and then in the end all the leads die. It is so frustrating. I was very hesitant in watching this because I watched Princess Agents which started so good and ended in disaster. I would like to see all evil people in this particular drama to finally get their punishment.

27 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

This will be easier to show ML taking charge even in court if required. It is her family matter and she was the cornerstone of the incidents.ML will show the evidences and prove GTY was the victim rather than a perpetrator.Save him, the emperor and put ED in a spot.

The damsel who rescues everyone from distress.:D

I know this will be easier to prove than something that ED frames him for. I just want this to make sense. For e.g. GTY owns the Bai family salt mines but has never managed them personally. So ED framing him for mismanagement of salt mines....that would be believable for me. But in this case, there are a lot of loop holes in the writing....which is annoying the hell out of me. This is making smart characters look stupid and on the top of that its questioning the viewers intelligence. 

First of all Kang Aunt escaping is the biggest logic fail for me. Like is it possible that ML, GTY, Changbai or Sheng family would leave a vicious woman like her not locked up...and without guards. :confused:

Another thing mentioned in the book was no one among the people involved in this matter was high enough in rank to go in front of the emperor to petition for Kang Aunt...except for GTY and ML....because of their titles.  

Stepmom getting a title makes sense now.....so she can cause trouble like this.....but why is Wang mother and son there.....son is not an official, I think.

Somebody, please explain this to me so it makes sense.

31 minutes ago, hell59 said:

Thank you so much for the info. The one thing about Chinese dramas is that they are so long and I invest so much time in them and then in the end all the leads die. It is so frustrating. I was very hesitant in watching this because I watched Princess Agents which started so good and ended in disaster. I would like to see all evil people in this particular drama to finally get their punishment.

Another person scarred by PA...nice to meet you.:lol:

PA was the reason I stopped watching Chinese dramas for a few years. That drama's name should be "How to screw over the fans".

18 minutes ago, dito said:

I know this will be easier to prove than something that ED frames him for. I just want this to make sense. For e.g. GTY owns the Bai family salt mines but has never managed them personally. So ED framing him for mismanagement of salt mines....that would be believable for me. But in this case, there are a lot of loop holes in the writing....which is annoying the hell out of me. This is making smart characters look stupid and on the top of that its questioning the viewers intelligence. 

First of all Kang Aunt escaping is the biggest logic fail for me. Like is it possible that ML, GTY, Changbai or Sheng family would leave a vicious woman like her not locked up...and without guards. :confused:

Another thing mentioned in the book was no one among the people involved in this matter was high enough in rank to go in front of the emperor to petition for Kang Aunt...except for GTY and ML....because of their titles.  

Stepmom getting a title makes sense now.....so she can cause trouble like this.....but why is Wang mother and son there.....son is not an official, I think.

I agree things don't appear to logical.I guess they are wrapping it up and still have to tie GTY's getting in a tight spot and ML saving him.Emperor solidifying his throne for good.This appears the convenient way out.Logic and dramas tend to part ways then catch up to again lag behind.I have seen very few series which have kept a tight grip on logic throughout. 

I haven't read the book so have no idea on the plot progression in it.

Aunt Kang's father was a highly respected official looks like they are trying to use his good name to cry foul in front of ED/emperor.

I guess it also will give QH a chance to redeem himself.

49 minutes ago, dito said:

As for how Kang auntie got out, the maid Molan sent into minglan's house sets fire in the kitchen first, then all guards went there so she sneaked to bang down Kang aunt's door and Kang aunt ran out and went to step mom who helped her get into ML's house when she was in labor .. Wang mother and the others were given audience by the ED and of you don't forget they already said the Wang family are prestigious and are somehow close to imperial family in terms of what they mightve done in the past.. But forgetting that, the ED gave them an audience with the king since they are reporting a high official.. For the Bai family's salt business, if you remember he no longer deal with the Bai family salt again directly so the ED wouldn't even make a point there.. I think this is the logic the writers are trying to create.. But really they must accuse him of something more than this crappy kang's death because it won't make any intensifying sense to put him in prison for this alone.. So I hope another reason is behind the arrest like him leaving his army behind and not requesting for a leave before returning to the city, this is still better as an excuse than this killing the Kang aunt.. 

At this point, I agree that it is a way to tie everything up and solve it in a few episodes. If the Emperor has a plan, he is going to use the death of auntie kang and his coming home without permission granted to demote him. They are excuses but he doesn’t need something serious. Anyway GTY made few mistakes during his period at the Court, so they could explain this as the last straw.

if the Emperor hasn’t a plan, I guess he is poisoned and doesn’t trust him anymore. But since it is nothing serious, it’d be easier to forgive him and give him the status back when gty helps him again.

however, it is better if the reason is this one because it involves directly ml and it is easier and more natural for her to help. If it were salt corruption, it’d be less believable that ml could help.

15 minutes ago, fra8 said:

At this point, I agree that it is a way to tie everything up and solve it in a few episodes. If the Emperor has a plan, he is going to use the death of auntie kang and his coming home without permission granted to demote him. They are excuses but he doesn’t need something serious. Anyway GTY made few mistakes during his period at the Court, so they could explain this as the last straw.

if the Emperor hasn’t a plan, I guess he is poisoned and doesn’t trust him anymore. But since it is nothing serious, it’d be easier to forgive him and give him the status back when gty helps him again.

however, it is better if the reason is this one because it involves directly ml and it is easier and more natural for her to help. If it were salt corruption, it’d be less believable that ml could help.

That's what I'm hoping too. Either that or they use this accusation as an opportunity and construct a plan around it. Either way is fine.

And isn't ML managing his books...all his businesses and properties....ML has full knowledge about them. So she could have helped with the salt issue too.

Really confused about QH's wife. Looked on Wikipedia and it said that he's on his second wife, what happened to the first wife and why did he marry the second wife? I remember her family blackmailed Qi family to marry QH. Also is second wife related to the Shen family whose had trouble delivering her baby? Man this drama is very complex :sweatingbullets:

Also I was watching the First Love ver and at the QH x ML horse polo match there was a woman on the side who said something like "I have no interest in the game, but I have interest in the person," was this the first wife?

3 hours ago, dito said:

Seeing old madam Wang, I understand why aunt Kang turned out to become that kind of person. Trying to protect her daughter is one thing, but claiming that she is pure and innocent, I wanna punch her face even though its frown upon to punch old people. 

But isn’t the poisoning case not made known outside of the Sheng manor (the house is blocked by Tu Er Ye and nobody going in/out). I think its because SH doesn’t wanna lose face about what happened. If that’s the case, then its understandable why GTY couldn’t bring up the issue. Also old madam has stepmother statement about Aunt Kang just went to the courtyard to help with the fire (I assume nobody knows that she was actually under arrest for poisoning grandma). And GTY killed her. I think this is also why ML apologised to GTY that her family brings him so much trouble. 

@huahuacaocao QH first married the daughter of Prince Yong. She is also the woman at the polo match and fell in love with him. Her family then blackmailed QH to marry her daughter. During the court rebelling, prince yong’s family (including QH wife) was killed, thus leaving QH a widow. QH then married his second wife. She is not related to anyone, I think her family came from outside the capital, she originally wasn’t aware of QH story with ML. 

1 hour ago, dito said:

Another person scarred by PA...nice to meet you.:lol:

PA was the reason I stopped watching Chinese dramas for a few years. That drama's name should be "How to screw over the fans".

After about midway, I fast forwarded almost every scene while watching PA. The ending though :crazy: the same with King’s Woman and Rise of the Phoenix. They started good but lost its plot half way. 

Thanks for the info, that clears a lot up! :)

I too fast forwarded through PA (partly unintentional, I didn't check version names so ended up watching an episode that was super far ahead in content and then didn't want to go back bc it got spicy). The ending felt too rushed and sudden and not very fitting. Reminds me of HQG also, hopefully this ZLY drama has a well developed ending or the curse of great dramas with poor endings will continue for me.

1 hour ago, shihuangdi said:

Seeing old madam Wang, I understand why aunt Kang turned out to become that kind of person. Trying to protect her daughter is one thing, but claiming that she is pure and innocent, I wanna punch her face even though its frown upon to punch old people. 

But isn’t the poisoning case not made known outside of the Sheng manor (the house is blocked by Tu Er Ye and nobody going in/out). I think its because SH doesn’t wanna lose face about what happened. If that’s the case, then its understandable why GTY couldn’t bring up the issue. Also old madam has stepmother statement about Aunt Kang just went to the courtyard to help with the fire (I assume nobody knows that she was actually under arrest for poisoning grandma). And GTY killed her. I think this is also why ML apologised to GTY that her family brings him so much trouble. 

I don't know about the drama but in the book they sent Kang Aunt to a prison for women or something. Confinement and hard labor....cutting wood, washing laundry,etc. So I suppose it was official. But Da niang's part was kept secret. 

59 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

After about midway, I fast forwarded almost every scene while watching PA. The ending though :crazy: the same with King’s Woman and Rise of the Phoenix. They started good but lost its plot half way

I was so excited for ROP but the changes from the book totally disappointed me. I still tried to watch but it was too much palace stuff...and Chen Kun was doing weird stuff.....couldn't connect. 

Loosing the plot halfway....thats the problem with most of the chinese dramas these days. I blame the huge number of episodes....some stories are better narrated when they are short. 

Archived