[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

14 hours ago, frenchfan said:

The Sheng should have killed Linniang's maid when they had the chance.  YOu could see that Molan really wanted Minglan (her own sister) to die in childbirth in fire.  She is even worst than her mom.  Guess, you can't trust beautiful faces.   

@frenchfan  Of course she wanted her dead.. Molan is jealous of ML she had to see her downfall.. ML couldn't stand the fact that the elaborate life she thought to have would come from the count she married only to be disappointed that her younger sister is living the life she's supposed to live no matter whatever she do she could never outshine ML.. Molan never really saw Ming Lan has competition to her beauty and all the men she admired had a crush on ML.. I know her husbands mom have to be throwing in her face how much of a virtous women Ml is over her when all she do is probably begs for her husbands attention who by now probably not givig her the time of day.. Him being disappointed in the pretty package all wrap up nicely on the outside but not worth two nickles rub together.. I hope he finds out how evil and vicious her heart really is to wish her sister and child dead all because of her jealousy.. I see her heart becoming more evil then Evil Step Mom and Aunt Kang.. 

20 hours ago, dito said:

Lin niang's maid still kept in the Sheng house is biggest writing fail for me. Didn't SH order all of Lin niang's servants to be sold out? How come she's still around to cause trouble. Moreover, Da niang will never keep anyone loyal to Lin niang in her house. The writers were getting out of ideas it seems. 

@dito  This is what I didn't understand also. she should have been killed with the other two girls or the first one to be sold iout of the hime to the slave dealer. Keeping her there should have been a reminder for CL or Sh was looking at her to have to some strange on the side with no strings attach.. The is one of the biggest mistakes Danning could have made.. She should have gotten rid of CL servants..

20 hours ago, frenchfan said:

Ohhhhhhhhhh so much excitement!  So it seems like the Emperor was angry that GTY came home to save his wife from the fire and maniac who tried to kill her and the baby?  So he would have preferred GTY to first come to him and pay his respect while his house is being burned to the ground and the lives of his wife and son at peril??????? :rage:

I am so dissapointed with Molan.  I had hoped that she will turned a new leaf but nope.  She has to follow in her mom's footsteps.  Aie aie aie....no hope for her then.  I can only anticipate heavy downfall for her too!  

@frenchfan  I think after seeing how big the fire was she was a Lil disappointed that ML and her child wasn't dead.. What is going on with step mom son. ?

@USAFarmgirl  Hi Good seeing you here..

20 hours ago, frenchfan said:

Molan married to the 6th son of a marquis.  He himself is not a marquis although from a noble family.  Whereas GTY has been granted the marquisade of the family since his elder brother died without heir.  I believe it was also a title granted to him by the emperor himself so it irked her no end.  A "Shu" daughter married above her social status, someone rich and someone who truly cared for her well being. Minglan has also been granted a title by the Emperor so it is like rubbing salt into her wound.  :kiss_wink:

@frenchfan Molan always thought she would be placed in ML position.. ML name is a household item and the nobles go to woman when things happen.. Molan was never granted and audience with the ED or the Empress and before ML even married GTY she was at the polo match trying to shine to be noticed but ML stole that thunder to.. I think if she had known GTY personally setup that match just for ML she would have never went even step mom was there putting on airs only to paint her step son as some horrid man.. Did you notice the look on step mom face when the Empress bethored GTY the hair pin.. I guess she knew then there was no chunking salt behind his back would work the the Empress..

+

14 hours ago, Sirry Usly said:

I know this is kind of harsh but I think point I kind of just want them to kill off Molan. I'm sick of her and I'm over it. 

@Sirry Usly  I tell you I don't miss her when they don't show her in any of the scenes..

11 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Big Madam's disappointment don't seem to stop.Neither her mom,son or husband are too perturbed for her feelings. All of SH's wives had a terrible ending.If only he had managed his household better, the ending might not have been so bitter.

@minglan1  CB said it well to GTY mnanage your house first before you try to handle things in court.. This is why I don't get why SH is standing himself up in court head held high to the sky like all is well..

• Like 5

IMO, ep64 uncut is one of the most electrifying eps in the drama. The clash of words, swift change of plot directions and magnified personalities all keep you at the edge of your seat.

Spoiler

Have to applaud Old Madam Wang, another master manipulator, whose silver tongue not only confused SH, but almost caused ML to lose ground. Had it not been CB's timely return, the result would have been quite different. Very glad CB's part was kept in the drama, definitely his highlight moment. Kudos to CB, Old Madam Wang, SH, Big Madam, Grandma, ML and GTY for their brilliant performance. :heart:

• Like 11

I have a question. In one of the epis maybe 56/57 why did stepmom look scared/ worried when she found out that the eunuch her son was meeting was from ED's palace. I thought she would be happy to know she and ED have similar goals and would jump at the chance to suck up to ED by helping her.

• Like 6

@dito Probably because one wrpng move can cost him his status or even his life. If ED is after GTY, she won't spare his relatives most likely, doesn't matter that they are against him. In those eras it was safer and better to pull the weed of by it roots.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, dito said:

I have a question. In one of the epis maybe 56/57 why did stepmom look scared/ worried when she found out that the eunuch her son was meeting was from ED's palace. I thought she would be happy to know she and ED have similar goals and would jump at the chance to suck up to ED by helping her.

No, eunuch Li whom GTW met was from emperor's palace. Stepmom wanted her son to realize that eunuch Li was also ED's pawn and what eunuch Li hinted at was GTW and stepmom to help ED frame GTY. But the stupid son didn't have a clue. Stepmom was worried because they had just missed a chance and had to wait more.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

From zly's weibo. Her own experience, Pregnant woman really powerful. :D

4b0c804aly8fyj8ladif2j20ro0rpmye.jpg

Zhao Liying

In the process of shooting, I think Minglan’s belly is running around. This is hanging up. Pregnant women can’t have such good physical strength. I have a fake belly. I’m tired and even talking, but the director said that pregnant women are very powerful. I can still run, ride a horse... I am half-confident, now, it’s really [嘻嘻]like walking like Minglan, so good.[嘻嘻]
good.[嘻嘻]
4b0c804aly1fzy7djddndj21yv2r87wi.jpg
  • Like 8
  • LOL 10

6 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

Unrelated to the plot? But why did ML give birth while standing up? I remember Madam Shen was lying down when she was in labour? Also, what is the significance of the head band worn when a woman is sick? 

When sheng in labour, the baby was in breach. She can't give birth without the doctor to correct the position of the baby. That's why she's lying down at the time. Waiting for the dr to give her acupuncture. the birthing process of mdm sheng, after the dr came back, was not shown. We have just heard the cries. 

The headband maybe to prevent cold air from penetrating the body through forehead. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

18 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

I'm so happy that I'm crying really.. So glad she gave birth safely, so thankful to QH for helping with the fire, so happy that GTY came back on time, so grateful to all those that helped her fight of the Kang auntie and helped her in giving birth, so thankful to their son for staying strong.. In all, I'm so happy for them :bawling:

• Like 13

On 2/5/2019 at 10:12 PM, matrim said:

According to the regulation of State Administration of Radio, Film and TV in China, any period drama must be set in a particular dynasty, otherwise it can't be released. That's a dilemma many period dramas face when they're apapted from novels with no specific dynasty backdrop. On the one hand they have to add some plot not in the novel but true to history, and on the other hand, they must try to keep the major storyline of the novel intact, as a large part of the viewers are novel fans. It's difficult to strike a balance between these two conflicting requirements, and so it's not surprising to see complaints from history lovers and book fans.

As for incorporating modern elements into period dramas, I think it's common practice and understandable. Dramas have to please modern viewers. If all the plot and characters are all written according the cultural and social norms of that era in ancient China, viewers would find it too boring and alienated. The drama probably wouldn't be a economic success then, a prospect not many producers or directors want to see.

Thanks for the info about SARFT. I know SARFT add and change rules all the time. How about Ariel Lin's drama "I will never let you go". currently airing at Zhejiang TV which also involve imperial family, male lead being son of Wang Ye. I don't think it was set in particular dynasty though it doesn't involve much of court politics but involves imperial family affairs.

First of all, I'm not saying TSofML cannot involve modern elements and I do understand and agree all your points about needing incorporating modern elements to gain viewership and make profits. Also, I'm not the novel fan (though I listened to audio but didn't remember the details of later parts) or history lover but I have been self-learning chinese language, culture and history in sort of improving self knowledge. I don't expect the drama to follow the book exactly or accurately portray historical facts. None of the historical dramas even from 15-20 years ago accurately reflect the actual history anyways. I also do not have any issue for making characters, which are already bad, more evil (like Molan, Aunty Kang, Lin Yiniang, stepmom since they already go out of their way to cause bodily harm to others from the beginning which is unacceptable in any society). 

However, I'm just a little disappointed with writing loopholes and think that incorporation of modern elements shouldn't be extreme, appropriate for the theme of the drama and follow along well with other elements of the drama. They made drama extremely long and illogical at certain aspects by adding unnecessary scenes to make ML heroine in every single event, to make GTY more favorable in viewers' eyes and to create more OTP interactions while keeping the rest of the characters' thought process and behavior set in Song. I do realize that they have to make ML heroine but involving her in revenge for her mother and grandma is enough to show her modern feisty side but making her talk to prostitute, and being deeply involved in a lot of court political events are a bit forced. I agree they cannot make Ronger neglected by GTY like in the novel but showing GTY who always wanted to marry di daughter and looked down on shu daughter, being so close to his illegitimate daughter like a modern father to the point of dragging 4-5 years old around jianghu in that era and having ML talk him into changing his life around for Ronger is a bit much unrealistic. It is suffice to show ML talked him into changing his life after he saving her. Since he has his own house separate from Hou Fu, he could have left Ronger there with Chang Momo. Later, they showed GTY involved in combing Ronger's hair which is very unlikely for military man like GTY to do and in OTP conversations, they kept on comparing SH and GTY which is really not necessary. The reason the novel made GTY flawed just having military achievements (without scholarly achievement) with bad reputations with women and out of wedlock children so that he being di son of Marquess (later becoming Marquess) is not so much higher and better than ML, a shu daughter of 5th grade official. However, drama had to make him achieve in both fields so that he is more favorable. They could have made him take military exam which existed in Song dynasty, testing not only physical aspects of military but also on military books and strategies instead of scholar official exam (then fail because he insulted the emperor's decision). This would have made more sense considering his background and upbringing. If they think that viewers cannot accept flawed OTPs and can't get good rating, they should not have chosen this story or emphasize so much on their efforts in trying to reflect as much accurate as possible on societal norms, custom and culture of early Song dynasty. In production team's BTS interview videos, they emphasis that they hire custom teacher to even teach actors specific details like how and where to put their hands when they greet another person based on their social hierarchy and status to reflect the time of early Song Dynasty.

I have watched a few historical drama adapted from time-travel novels with strong heroines (but had to remove time-travelling aspect) like Singing all along (秀丽江山) and Imperial Doctress which do not really reflect history accurately. These dramas also have modern elements but they present in a very subtle way that the leads are not really out of the norm and other grey characters were not seen as being evil because of OTP modern behavior.  These drama were successful though they might not be rating monga. Even NIF 1-2 from same production team were successful without having much modern elements, any kiss scenes or bed scenes.

The characters like SH, QH, QH's mother are acting the way they are (I'm talking about what has been shown in drama not even talking about the novel) because of societal thinking at the time. Though drama QH might have personal distrust and grudge against GTY, he was just doing his job by reporting MN's accusations towards GTY to emperor. GTY and ML could have taken MN out of the capital city and prevented her from entering again (being the head of capital army and Huan Wang's bestie) if they want her to lead to the son which they eventually did. However, they let MN run around the city accusing GTY, and thus giving opportunity for stepmom's people to make MN's accusations more widespread, leading to QH's reporting. Like QH said if there is no news related to GTY's behavior and integrity, he would have nothing to report. (I'm also glad that it was ML who set up meeting with QH, not QH looking for ML though his touching her arms even if very agitated was also very unnecessary.) So far QH character in the drama hasn't done extremely out of character of the era or his duty to deserve to be called names or evil. QH's mom is behaving the way she is because according to society at that time, it is necessary for male to marry the girl from similar status or higher to make better career achievement and it is normal not to view shu daughter highly.  Even Sheng grandma has this view and it has been emphasized many times why SH should be grateful to wang's grandma for accepting a shu son like him to marry di daughter of high official. One of the reasons grandma and SH didn't want Aunty Kang's daughter for CB was because Minister Kang's position is not too high and it wouldn't be helpful for CB's career in anyways though they are relatives. They chose Hai shi because all her family members are highly educated and her father and brothers also are officials with better future.

@mooose I was talking about drama making Molan and Liang Hang affair to having sexual relationship in the storage room of famous temple, spiritual place which is usually busy with official and noble families visiting, not only once but a few times (though not mentioned exact meeting times, it was meeting every 2-3 days for a few times to the point of Molan is sure of being pregnant). Even if Lin Yiniang helping arrange and cover for Molan, other people like Daniang, RL, grandma not noticing Molan who was supposed to be confined at home disappear for a few hours for a few times and not being noticed by anyone at the temple in that era is a bit too unreasonable. Having been carried by a man at that time is enough to ruin a girl's reputation. They just wanna dramatize Molan being caught by SH. 

@m0us3y ML was shown only hit once by SH. She was not supposed to be there without being summoned and the worse is not only being there but they fell down. SH was satisfied when ML admitted why she was being punished but later RL made the situation worse. ML then said Molan being there first when pressured by RL but Molan made it so that ML was also lying and repeating that she would take responsibility of her sisters' wrongful act. Molan's act of responsible oldest sister act won over RL's action during the time and ML was just seen as partner in crime. I'm not going to continue explain as it takes so long to explain in writing. 

I'm also making these comments as some posters here request me to write saying they're interested in reading historical and societal discrepancies with what drama is presenting. Like I said before, I won't bother paying attention to any of these if drama and production team is not focusing on these aspects. Advisor Alliance have many historical inaccuracies including Sima Yi being only faithful to his wife and he having concubine bai was forced upon but I didn't care as drama presented things in logical ways and production did not emphasize it being historically accurate. Anyways, I'm not going to argue or respond any more on these points.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, minglanfan said:

Looks like in this preview the step mom is arguing something in front of the emperor can someone tell me what they are talking. 

it is looks the aunt kang mom and the evil step mother with the rest of the family join hands to destroy GTY

I think the Wang (Aunt Kang family) wants to sue GTY for killing Auntie Kang. They mentioned how GTY cruelly stabbed Aunt Kang. Then stepmom, I think is saying something about this incident happens at GTY courtyard, implying that GTY is responsible for her death

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, minglanfan said:

Looks like in this preview the step mom is arguing something in front of the emperor can someone tell me what they are talking. 

it is looks the aunt kang mom and the evil step mother with the rest of the family join hands to destroy GTY

Oh no!

Whatever for GTY to do? All he has is his amazingly harmless wife :(

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 8