[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

13 minutes ago, tarjig said:

Silent lurker here again:  Why are you guys talking about ML is no longer Gu's wife? Are you talking about the stepmom? I didn't think ML and GTY did an amiable separation.  Please clarify, because I am so confused.

3 minutes ago, dito said:

In one of the trailers GTY is in prison and asking ML for amicable separation. We think that ED framed him and he was about to get punished so GTY was trying to make ML leave him so as to avoid the brunt of his downfall. 

But we are all hoping that the emperor and GTY have planned all this to force ED to make her move so that they can take her down.

Right, I remember that trailer, but they do not get divorced.  ML asked him to reconsider because there was no turning back if they separated.  They do not separate, so why refer to a divorce that is not going to happen?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, tarjig said:

Right, I remember that trailer, but they do not get divorced.  ML asked him to reconsider because there was no turning back if they separated.  They do not separate, so why refer to a divorce that is not going to happen?

We are just assuming the reasons why GTY asked for the separation.. We know it didn't happ but a discussion is just going on on why he asked that and if all the prison thingy was a trap by ED or a plan by GTY and cos

47 minutes ago, matrim said:

From a behind-the-scene clip I draw a different conclusion.

Hide contents

The clip theme is about the props in the drama. One props master says the symbolism behind the wheat planted in the emperor's study. When ED is in control the wheat is small and green, a symbol representing the hope in emperor's heart. As the wheat grows, ED gradually loses her power and the last scene about the wheat is very illuminating. Standing in a mature wheat field, the emperor talks happily to GTY:"This can feed everyone. It's the most precious thing in the world." And a smiling GTY bowed in agreement. It's obvious that the emperor takes full control at last. I don't believe they can talk so happily and frankly if the emperor was tricked into punishing GTY. I do believe now that it's the emperor's plan which somewhat echoes the novel plot. :D  

You have a point.I will be happy if that is so.GTY and ML have come to his and Prince Huan's aid many times risking their lives.Such loyalty can't be doubted by a smart emperor..ED has been on the offense and emperor's team is still in a defense mode trying to gain a good footing.They might use their favorite  strategy besiege Wei to rescue Zhao again by putting GTY in prison and defeat ED for good.

23 minutes ago, tarjig said:

Silent lurker here again:  Why are you guys talking about ML is no longer Gu's wife? Are you talking about the stepmom? I didn't think ML and GTY did an amiable separation.  Please clarify, because I am so confused.

Please read in context. What I wrote is a theory, a possible explanation for the prison scene in the trailer. It's not something already happened.

36 minutes ago, tarjig said:

29 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

We are just assuming the reasons why GTY asked for the separation.. We know it didn't happ but a discussion is just going on on why he asked that and if all the prison thingy was a trap by ED or a plan by GTY and cos

Yeah we are just trying to deduce why he even suggested such a thing when he went all out and beyond to get her. We are trying to see it from his POV....they may be questioning his loyalty to the emperor. Which will then put ML and their child in danger. People who sit on the throne don't shy away from wiping out entire families if they feel threatened or betrayed. GTY may be just giving her a way out if he feels she'd be better off cut off from him.

16 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

The trailer also had the amicable divorce scene of ML's cousin.The dialogue and the scenes might not go hand in hand.

Rulan talking about 'if we were birds,animals..... ' had the scene of a party at Gu manor but the conversation occurred in RL's room between her and ML.

Disclaimer- It is just a probable theory.

10 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

My dilemma exactly.. I was anxious when the episodes were too short, and now anxious when they lengthened the episodes :w00t:

For me her little monologue in the novel gives out the feeling of pity, because by modern standard grandma is a childless old lady surrounded by people who are bounded by confucianism to treat her well, sincere or not is up to debate. But drama minglan only feels love and full of filial piety because she sees grandma as her own grandmother who raise her. While book minglan seems more clear that grandma is her benefactor who treated her well and protected her, somewhere along the way she genuinely comes to love her.

Ml’s relationship with rong er is a mix of grandma’s teaching, her own self who always pity illegitimate children and maybe the fact that she at that point didnt love gty yet, so she saw it as part of the job. But afterwards you can see ml really is fond of rong er and the cousin.

What stood out for me in ep 59 was when ml threw the tea cup after the biao mei said auntie kang was planning to harm gty.. ooohhhh the love comes creeping in :wub:

Yesss. I noticed it too. ML was calmly listening to the girl and lost it when she heard Auntie Kang planned to hurt GTY. Yay!!!!

There are 2 types of people in this world. 

There are those who believes in, and practises "What I can not have, others shall not get"

Mdm Qin and Aunt Kang are both epitome of that. 

Born blessed, into prestigious family, with feeling of entitlement, believing that things revolved around them, deluded to thinking they are the most important, and hence, deserves only the very best. 

Mdm Qin couldn't obtained happiness, or love from Marquis Gu, so in her mind, GTY doesn't deserved to be happy or in love too. 

Mdm Qin lived a miserable life, consumed only by greed, so ML needs to die so that GTY can suffer and be miserable too. 

Aunt Kang household was a shambles, so naturally, the sisters household should be too..

Aunt Kang, despite her prestige, was never loved by the husband, so GTY being so smitten by ML is of course, unacceptable. 

And then we have the reverse:

"For all that I've suffered, others shall not endured the same"

Granny fiercely protected ML all these times and there were few occasions that she mentioned she will not let ML suffered the same way..whilst we weren't given too much backstory of grandma, it was evident that everything she did, she prepared ML to face all adversities that could come to her one day, while protecting her the best she can...

ML too is another perfect example, when she unreservedly took in Rong'er and raised her as her own, so that Rong'er will not walk the difficult path she walked in. 

ML again showed that she will not let the same mistake happens twice when she took the sword by her hand, and took the Dr back to help Mdm Zhang's birth, by force, because she let her mum slipped away once. 

Sometimes, 2 person could experience the same predicament, yet what they learn and take away couldn't be more different. 

Could be inborn characteristics, could be the way there were raised, probably a combination of the 2..

Madam Qin and Madam Kang are both hateful characters, but at the same time, very sad. 

For they are fated to never be in peace,  for there are always things they don't have, things they couldn't get. 

Forever chasing a phantom. Always bearing hatred.

Their fate was sealed by their own mentality.

If we can't be grateful for what we have, we will never be grateful for what we get. 

I actually pitied SH main wife.  Being sold out by her own mother in other to protect auntie Kang.  It was sad when she discovered that her mum favors her elder sister and would happily let her shoulder the blame for the poisoning.  In fact Marquis Kang did not even come for the "hearing" and let his in-laws dealt with their family.  That just shows how much he value her.  You could see that Elder brother Kang and his wife have been suffering for years always covering for auntie Kang's misdeeds no doubt at Grandma Wang's command for she is very much the matriach and boss here.  

Of course I just love how GTY come to save his wifey......despite possible punishment from the emperor.  That is love.  He consoled her when she cried.  That part was so emotional. I am also happy to see Danju getting married in her finery.  It was even more eloborate than Molan's wedding LOL.  

The Sheng should have killed Linniang's maid when they had the chance.  YOu could see that Molan really wanted Minglan (her own sister) to die in childbirth in fire.  She is even worst than her mom.  Guess, you can't trust beautiful faces.   

4 hours ago, minglan1 said:

The trailer also had the amicable divorce scene of ML's cousin.The dialogue and the scenes might not go hand in hand.

Rulan talking about 'if we were birds,animals..... ' had the scene of a party at Gu manor but the conversation occurred in RL's room between her and ML.

Disclaimer- It is just a probable theory.

7 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@matrim  With ML birthing sons even if GTy is exield and they are divorce ML and her children would never be safe from step mom because to her eldest son down to the last son are all in line to gain the marquis title.. Once all of them is dead can the evil step mom gains what she's been after all along...

@matrim  I believe it.. Molan is very jealous of ML and even after gaining all her dads attention as a child growing up in the Sheng house and marrying above her status.. Molan can't stand the fact that ML has gotten herself a title and shines brighter then she'll ever be.. Molan always saw herself in Ming Lan shoes wher all the nobles household women holds her in a very high position.. Even thou she married a Count her Count isn't no where near the Count Ming Lan has.. I think she kicking herself in the but because before her mom passed away she tried to get Molan to go after GTY which she refused because of his past.. Now her knowing that Ming Lan husband is a one womens man must be really infuriating her who husband got upteen concubines all bore him a son,, Now that Lil sister has bore the next Gu heir must really be upsetting her.. So yes even thou Aunt Kang did give her mom including herself a hard time.. I could see her using Aunt Kang to get back at Ml all because she won't allow CL plack to be placed in the monestary nor her enter the Sheng household registry.. So killing off ML is away to get what she wants.. Recognition for her Mom.. I'm also wondering has her husband Mom been questioning her about her Mom plack..  

@Suzzy San  I'm thinking this also could be a plan from the very start to help pull ED out of power.. It's no way She and her family are not involved in the salt scandal and the high price of salt back then.. GTy could have taken himself out of the equatuon knowing that the info that was collected would directly in pact the ED who would go after him and his family to weaken the Emperor more.. GTY just happen to come along just in time to save wife and child from Aunt Kangs killing.. I hope they find out it was Molan that freed her and give her a good dose of medicine that she needed since childhood.. (preferrably a good spanking in front of her husband MIL and she can do no wrong father) 

I know this is kind of harsh but I think point I kind of just want them to kill off Molan. I'm sick of her and I'm over it. 

15 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

In the novel, ML is a time traveller??? So when did the future ML replace past ML? Since she was a child?

After the mother dies. So she doesn't have any affection towards the mother, thus never avenges her.

I think I've said it before but I have to say it again: Cheng Bai's fk awesome.

Gu Ting Ye and Chang Bai went AWOL because of Grandmother's incident. Chang Bai's wife is the one who sent the letter regarding what happening at home.

So cute Gu Ting Ye said his wife is so meek and docile like a lamb that she faint at the slightest provocation and blamed the Wang family for causing his wife such anguish that her mannerism had changed.

7 minutes ago, Jackie1048 said:

Gu Ting Ye and Chang Bai went AWOL because of Grandmother's incident. Chang Bai's wife is the one who sent the letter regarding what happening at home.

So cute Gu Ting Ye said his wife is so meek and docile like a lamb that she faint at the slightest provocation and blamed the Wang family for causing his wife such anguish that her mannerism had changed.

Oh that was what he said that made ML look like at him like 'what? really' and laughed.. So cute.. 

Molan's husband had learnt how she had duped him. Shouldn't MamaLiang and her son be making life tough for her? Why does she have so much idle time at hand to plan the death of ML?:triumph:  I am dissapointed with the Liang household.

Madam Wang's parenting skills are worse than ShenHong's. If ML or his other kids ever accuse him of favoritism he can always give her example for them to compare.

Danju was married with more fanfare than Molan.She can turn green,purple,magenta with envy.:lol:

Big Madam's disappointment don't seem to stop.Neither her mom,son or husband are too perturbed for her feelings. All of SH's wives had a terrible ending.If only he had managed his household better, the ending might not have been so bitter.

55 minutes ago, matrim said:

More proof that the emperor is not what he appears.

Reveal hidden contents

The actor who played the emperor commented on wb "I swear to Chairman Mao (Chinese version of I swear to God) that the emperor is smart." :joy:

p159765145.jpg

Wow.. So gty managed to corrupt emperor as well.. To pretend rage vs gty. Very convincing. Did empress in on it as well? :D

3 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Molan's husband had learnt how she had duped him. Shouldn't MamaLiang and her son be making life tough for her? Why does she have so much idle time at hand to plan the death of ML?:triumph:  I am dissapointed with the Liang household.

Madam Wang's parenting skills are worse than ShenHong's. If ML or his other kids ever accuse him of favoritism he can always give her example for them to compare.

Danju was married with more fanfare than Molan.She can turn green,purple,magenta with envy.:lol:

Big Madam's disappointment don't seem to stop.Neither her mom,son or husband are too perturbed for her feelings. All of SH's wives had a terrible ending.If only he had managed his household better, the ending might not have been so bitter.

SH like a kite.. Easily sway. Everytime wang mother told him something, he seems to agree. Then ml countered her, SH then agreed with ml. Ha ha. He was such a weak man. Pity him

11 hours ago, leeza77 said:

The emperor is really poisoned by the consort. 

Hide contents

The new trailer shows that the emperor's rage towards gty for not reporting to him first, after coming back from his investigation of salt business. Emperor didn't even consider that if gty didn't come back on time to his manor, ml will be killed by kang auntie. Such an ungrateful man. Gty is his strongest supporter and the cleverest one. The one he can rely on, but he's listening to his evil consort. Guess, gty is demoted to ordinary soldier because of this. Very sad. A good loyal and talented supporter is treated like this by the emperor. 

Well, good excuse. Afterall he was not there during her late stages of pregnancy and delivery.

Now more time to care (also safety) for ML and his newborn. Their family bond will get stronger.

@leeza77 I reckon he was genuinely scared of ML after that. He slapped her thinking it would make her back down, only to have it backfire and she came in even stronger. 

ML is actually quite scary when trying to avenge granny! Super badass! :wub:B)

The way she calmly plotted, and executed, including bringing the 2 sons of the Mdm Kang's most trusted aide. 

Didn't even hesitate to torture them to get a confession. 

Merely "I haven't got time for this, I need some answers" *tortures them*

All the while, looking at SH bewildered/ shocked face!

The convo after that with the dad, when she said she will bring them out of the house before killing them, which SH said since when the docile and obedient girl turned this way, her answer of "that's right...I wonder why..." was actually quite sad. 

In a way, it's her telling him because he couldn't protect her and couldn't protect grandma, she would...

Archived