[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

21 minutes ago, matrim said:

Up to now GTY's behaviors in court are baffling. It seems he tried his best to annoy everyone. By tricking EP into giving up the jade seal to the emperor, he made EP his enemy. Later his plea for leniency in court frustrated the emperor as it's a deviation from the original plan, causing the emperor to lose face. When ML reminded him that generals who boasted military achivements didn't have happy endings, GTY just dismissed it as if it were nothing. What he did now is to purposefully lose the favor of the emperor. This arrogant, rash GTY didn't fit EP's description of him (most intelligent aid of the emperor) at all. It smells fishy. GTY must be cooking something really big. What do you think?

I completely agree that it seems weird. I don't get what he is trying to do since it seems he is working for his downfall.

But then I doubt his downfall is voluntary. He asked ML for an  amiable separation and I doubt he would do it if it weren't serious.

And I am sure ML has to save him. It was foreshadowed by the paint of the Empress (not sure about the title) saving her man and ML needs her shining moment, needs to show her capabilities, her interlligence.

This would also help GTY see she fights for him and loves him and it would make her more secure. It'd balance more their relationship. It'd show she meant it when she said she would repay it with her life.

At this point she risked everything for her mother, she will do it for her granny...I guess she will do it for him.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, fra8 said:

I completely agree that it seems weird. I don't get what he is trying to do since it seems he is working for his downfall.

But then I doubt his downfall is voluntary. He asked ML for an  amiable separation and I doubt he would do it if it weren't serious.

And I am sure ML has to save him. It was foreshadowed by the paint of the Empress (not sure about the title) saving her man and ML needs her shining moment, needs to show her capabilities, her interlligence.

This would also help GTY see she fights for him and loves him and it would make her more secure. It'd balance more their relationship. It'd show she meant it when she said she would repay it with her life.

At this point she risked everything for her mother, she will do it for her granny...I guess she will do it for him.

What if asking for separation is a test to see whether ML loves him or not?

The fight between them happens after the ML-QH scene, which comes sometime after GTY's first son is born. 

As someone pointed out... if we go by the ending credits art....ML gives birth first and banging the drums artwork comes after. If we assume banging the drum is for GTY and not Granny's poisoning then GTY's downfall planned or not, comes after his son is born... and he still is not sure if ML loves him or not. So maybe he's testing her.

And yes ML needs to show him he is important to her and more than just a provider and protector.

8 minutes ago, Meli Cahyadi said:

Can anyone tell me what did GTY say to ML in the trailer?

All I could understand from google translate was..GTY kept saying.....Why don't you take me seriously? 

7 minutes ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Watched most mentioned here and yes, good dramas but wht's NIF in full?

Nirvana in Fire.

32 minutes ago, dito said:

Seems after seeing ML and QH together GTY gets drunk and looses it. He kept asking ML why won't she take him seriously??

And then as if all the other people causing trouble for ML and GTY were not enough... now kang auntie joins the circus. Gifting concubines has suddenly become the trend. Somebody please gift some to QH, so his wife keeps her nose out of other peoples business.

The story of concubines doesn't seem to have a closure soon.

Aunty and GTY's evil stepmom are now acquaintances?

Looks like it's a small word where you can find each other  if you are a villain.

I whole heartedly agree to send some concubines to the Qi manner to keep both QH and his wife busy and not meddle in ML and GTY's affairs.

4 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Right now, I'm leaning more to the theory that he genuinely care about GTY, he knows of his mother scheming, but because she is his mother, he's been turning a blind eye to it. I hope that he wouldn't turn evil, but I would also not surprise if he chooses to side with his mother later. It's his mother after all.

One more thing, (sigh, I'm going to get so much flak for this :sweatingbullets:) I've been quite perplexed at my fellow viewers categorising QH's 2nd wife, Madam Shen, as "evil". I mean, I don't understand why? The only reason she told 5th aunt about ML and Dr. He's history, is because 5th aunt was trying to ask for QH's help regarding her son, Madam Shen was only trying to refuse to help on her husband's behalf, to dismiss any personal connection her husband had with ML and Gu family? Basically, 5th aunt was trying to bribe QH and his wife is only trying to refuse the bribe and keep her husband out of it? She wasn't doing it because she wanted to hurt ML? She only realized that ML might mean more to QH than she thought AFTER meeting with 5th aunt? And then, in ep 46, it was obvious that she was getting over her suspicions towards ML, telling her maid to drop investigating ML and trying to focus on taking care of her husband? Only then, she found the dolls? And she hasn't done anything "evil" towards ML since?? Why is it her faults that her husband neglects her (hasn't been in her room and sleeping in his study for a month), if QH was going to treat his wife like that, why did he marry her in the first place, because his family needed an incubator? The fact that QH basically told her (after GTY's brother funeral) "GTY was being stupid is his own fault, keep ML out of it", like he STILL defending ML to his own wife? The poor girl didn't do anything to deserve that kind of treatments? She's not a saint, why should she just tolerate it? If I was her, I would also be bitter as hell! She was actually more gracious than I expected her to be in this kind of situation. Of course, she would want to "snatch" her husband back, she may not be his 1st wife or 1st love, but they are MARRIED, she's currently, literally the one person who has the right to claim him.

Of course, I would take it all back if she does do things that would harm ML later, but right now, I honestly don't think she's done anything deserving to be label as "evil" yet. I apologize for being all riled up, but I just thought any character should deserve to be defended and understood where they are coming from, even if they are not Sad Pretty Boy with Soulful Watery Eyes :)

She has the right attitude in wanting to reclaim her husband's heart.. but hope she will not involve ML in her quest. 

Its good she was curious and wanted to know more about her husband's first love or only love of his life.. but only if she use this info to learn more about her husband's choices in life to help improve their relationship.

As it was an arranged marriage prolly her coming from a different province, she must be clueless about QH's past.. 

1 hour ago, matrim said:

Up to now GTY's behaviors in court are baffling. It seems he tried his best to annoy everyone. By tricking EP into giving up the jade seal to the emperor, he made EP his enemy. Later his plea for leniency in court frustrated the emperor as it's a deviation from the original plan, causing the emperor to lose face. When ML reminded him that generals who boasted military achivements didn't have happy endings, GTY just dismissed it as if it were nothing. What he did now is to purposefully lose the favor of the emperor. This arrogant, rash GTY didn't fit EP's description of him (most intelligent aid of the emperor) at all. It smells fishy. GTY must be cooking something really big. What do you think?

59 minutes ago, fra8 said:

Many times in those days, they do the separation or divorce to keep their spouse from being implicated in whatever problems are happening to them so it’s probably something big. Like some of the others, I think it’s going to be part of a bigger plan, possibly to flush out those they need to in order to fully gain control of the court. One of the things I’ve noticed about GTY is his loyalties and he seems to always give his friends the ability to have plausible deniability in his schemes so if things don’t work out, they are not implicated. The reactions of Emperor has to be real in order to ensure those he wants to trick, believes it.  It seems the only way to fluster the Empress Dowager since she’s still listening in on the court stuff and trying to control everything. It’s almost similar to what he does with Stepmom but not straight forward. He’s acting the rascal that the Empress Dowager and the old nobility thinks he his. Maybe, being demoted and dismissed like this is the only way he’ll be able to move about doing what needs to be done? 

And yes, it would also be a test for ML too. As she could take the amiable separation or stick through it all with him. 

4 hours ago, gleek49 said:

She didn't attack ML because she wants to hurt ML specifically. It's because she didn't want to accept 5th Aunt's request, she was saying that "hey aunt, my husband has already had rumors with that bride in your house, we are trying to avoid any relation with your house because of her, so stop asking us for help. Here's the information, you can use that to threaten GTY and his wife to help you, stop bothering my husband". It's just basic diversion tactic, it's not personal, she was just pushing the burden back to ML and GTY, if 5th Aunt didn't come to her door, there's no reason for her to do that.

4 hours ago, leeza77 said:

She doesn't need to tell her about ml's past, if she wanted to avert the 5th aunt. The excuse she gave before is sufficient enough. Talking bad things about someone you don't even know personally to her in laws, in my book is malicious. 

I'm with @leeza77 on this. I wouldn't necessarily call her evil, but she  was opportunistic, and took the chance to just stab ML a lil bit. She could have stopped at not wanting to get involved with the Gu Family due to past history and the awkward situation currently. Didn't need to bring in He Family. 

I noticed that Maniang was shocked that the fiesty Miss she battled with before is now Gu Ting Ye's peincipal wife.

She almost accused Ming Lan that she must have schemed to have Gu Ting Ye for herself. Ming Lan just told her she married according to her family's wishes.

21 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Many times in those days, they do the separation or divorce to keep their spouse from being implicated in whatever problems are happening to them so it’s probably something big. Like some of the others, I think it’s going to be part of a bigger plan, possibly to flush out those they need to in order to fully gain control of the court. One of the things I’ve noticed about GTY is his loyalties and he seems to always give his friends the ability to have plausible deniability in his schemes so if things don’t work out, they are not implicated. The reactions of Emperor has to be real in order to ensure those he wants to trick, believes it.  It seems the only way to fluster the Empress Dowager since she’s still listening in on the court stuff and trying to control everything. It’s almost similar to what he does with Stepmom but not straight forward. He’s acting the rascal that the Empress Dowager and the old nobility thinks he his. Maybe, being demoted and dismissed like this is the only way he’ll be able to move about doing what needs to be done? 

And yes, it would also be a test for ML too. As she could take the amiable separation or stick through it all with him. 

Yes, I think they were acting based on a larger plan to trick EP, making her and her party drop guard and carry out their scheme more boldly.

Spoiler

In the novel, EP lauched the palace coup when all emperor's armies were out fighting foreign tribes, including GTY. EP stroke as she thought she had to seize the chance when the epmeror was most vulnerable. But actually this was a big plan devised by the emperor and his aids. Despite a few complications, things happened as predicted and finally EP was destroyed. The major plot difference of the drama is closer relationship between palace politics and personal life of GTY and ML. In the novel, the focus of their married life is on household matters, with court politics as the background. 

Only 1 episode each today and tomorrow :( . But oh well, should be glad they don't air the same as korean dramas does. Otherwise it would have taken almost forever ^^. Will be hard seeing the scene with MN and Rong'er today :( . I wonder if GTY and ML big fight will happen next week.

Battle of wife vs ex girlfriend: x won:D

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4332429951870077

Spoiler

What's problem with qh's wife, seeking ml for what? .. Ml has done nothing to her, ml has no interaction at all with qh after marriage.. Why she wanted to stirr up the history. 

25 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

Only 1 episode each today and tomorrow :( . But oh well, should be glad they don't air the same as korean dramas does. Otherwise it would have taken almost forever ^^. Will be hard seeing the scene with MN and Rong'er today :( . I wonder if GTY and ML big fight will happen next week.

Most likely on Sunday 

55 minutes ago, matrim said:

Yes, I think they were acting based on a larger plan to trick EP, making her and her party drop guard and carry out their scheme more boldly.

Hide contents

In the novel, EP lauched the palace coup when all emperor's armies were out fighting foreign tribes, including GTY. EP stroke as she thought she had to seize the chance when the epmeror was most vulnerable. But actually this was a big plan devised by the emperor and his aids. Despite a few complications, things happened as predicted and finally EP was destroyed. The major plot difference of the drama is closer relationship between palace politics and personal life of GTY and ML. In the novel, the focus of their married life is on household matters, with court politics as the background. 

Yeah it makes sense now that they had to make a plan to over throw the ED. GTY and his friend the prince are both smart enough to know ED will become a problem if she doesn't hand over the power completely. ED sitting in on the court sessions is questioning the emperor's ability to rule....which will then make the different factions worked up into choosing sides. Not a good idea to have his officials on edge when he just started getting used to his situation. Is the emperor aware of the plan? Not yet caught with with the recent subbed epis. But I can see GTY and Prince making the plan without the emperor's knowledge. As a new emperor his image needs to be clean from such machinations.

Sometimes reading books on google translate is so unreliable. I do not recall any of this from the novel. But that maybe because I was mostly skipping all the political stuff and some about unrelated characters. The author sometimes wrote whole chapters about characters that were never mentioned before and were gone soon after....left with an occasional mention here and there.

p.s I have been trying to recall where I've seen the actress playing Kang aunt since last week.....just came to me now.....she played Jingrui's mom the Grand Princess in Nirvana in Fire.

This is just a personal opinion but I think viewers have really low tolerance of scheming against the main couple. I am not that invested in the main couple so I watch the drama with pretty neutral eyes and I find lots of things that people are deeming "evil" rather okay. For example Sheng Hong. Except for the poison case, everything he does is within the acceptable zone, even in the issue with ML's mother. He didn't mean nor directly caused her death and he had no responsibilities to seek justice for her. After all she's merely a lowly concubines he didn't favor much.

GTY' older brother is totally fine with me. After all, GTY's mother was married off into the family in a shady situation where she might indirectly have caused his mother's death (also from stepmom's influence). He grew up sick all his life and he knew the title would go to GTY after he died, GTY was perfectly healthy and had a bright future. In that kind of context it's natural that he hated GTY. What he did to GTY was not excessive at all.

Stepmom, if she could have stopped at pampering GTY so he grew up to be arrogant and manipulating his father into disliking him, then it's actually acceptable. GTY was standing between her son and the noble title, what, do you expect she can really be nice to him? She just started to go overboard since the father's death.

I also find QH and his wife's action totally okay. Everybody is allowed to be selfish to a point. QH's wife has no reasons to be nice to ML. No matter if she actually meant ill will against ML when she talked to 5th aunt about Dr.He, she spoke the truth. She didn't make anything up, ML really was in a kinda relationship with Dr.He when she suddenly got married to GTY. The thing is, if something happened, you can't forbid people talking about it. But her action was not very smart, that's all. Nothing to gain from it.

QH is the same. He is now a Yu Shi, so he is kinda working for the disciplinary department, and GTY is the man with the worst reputation in town. He hates GTY now (why not? He's not saint) and he doesn't need to frame GTY or sth, he can do his job fair and square and still get back at GTY a little bit, so it's a great deal for him. Again, why not? If GTY is squeaky clean then QH will have nothing against him. As long as QH does things within his duty and not trying to frame GTY nor break any rules, I say go for it.

I know everybody wants our couple to have a smooth easy life, but that's not how it is. Everything they did in the past will leave consequences in the future. Manniang is GTY's past, he got over it but the effect still lasts. He has changed doesn't mean he could get out clean. Any weakness will be used against him, everybody lives for their own benefit and if he let a weakness exposed then others will use it. They are being targeted by everyone but actually in the lives of people with status, everybody is being targeted by everyone, we just don't see it. 

24 minutes ago, dito said:

Yeah it makes sense now that they had to make a plan to over throw the ED. GTY and his friend the prince are both smart enough to know ED will become a problem if she doesn't hand over the power completely. ED sitting in on the court sessions is questioning the emperor's ability to rule....which will then make the different factions worked up into choosing sides. Not a good idea to have his officials on edge when he just started getting used to his situation. Is the emperor aware of the plan? Not yet caught with with the recent subbed epis. But I can see GTY and Prince making the plan without the emperor's knowledge. As a new emperor his image needs to be clean from such machinations.

Sometimes reading books on google translate is so unreliable. I do not recall any of this from the novel. But that maybe because I was mostly skipping all the political stuff and some about unrelated characters. The author sometimes wrote whole chapters about characters that were never mentioned before and were gone soon after....left with an occasional mention here and there.

p.s I have been trying to recall where I've seen the actress playing Kang aunt since last week.....just came to me now.....she played Jingrui's mom the Grand Princess in Nirvana in Fire.

Hard to tell the emperor knew the plan or not. Now seems only GTY and Prince were involved. All these power games are not in the novel. Only in the last few chapters did the author summarize the situation. Like I said, after their marriage, the novel is mostly about family matters.

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

Battle of wife vs ex girlfriend: x won:D

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4332429951870077

Reveal hidden contents

What's problem with qh's wife, seeking ml for what? .. Ml has done nothing to her, ml has no interaction at all with qh after marriage.. Why she wanted to stirr up the history. 

Was ML calling QH,  Heng ge'er like how an adult calls a child.....:lol:

lol so the wife wanted to mess with ML...but ML totally used her aunt status and called her niece in law (zhi xifu)

QH's wife is all :o

then ML goes...You kids are happy together...this elder is relieved:joy:

Archived