[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

23 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Iove ml's dialogues. The lines have deep meaning and full of wisdom. The words are poetic. I just pity xiatao who always lost and confuse with ml's speech. :lol:

I love XiaoTao protectiveness towards ML :wub: Although she always confused with ML way of thinking, she still faithfully support ML action thru and thru.. I wish to Xiaotao pairing up with Shitou.. LOL.. Who's with me??!! Put's your hands up!!! LOL

16 hours ago, deslynn88 said:

Manniang comes back and the first thing she does is try to blackmail him to make her a concubine before she return his son to him.  That golddigging trash!

I thought I saw someone post that she was actually sent to him by his step-mother.  Is that true?

I can't wait to see how ML & GTY going to destroy MN.. I hope Rong'er hates her mother for being so manipulative n evil.. What kind of mother is that??!! Sheeshhh... I feel like digging a grave a burying MN alive for treating her children like that :rage: what a spiteful woman.. 

23 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Iove ml's dialogues. The lines have deep meaning and full of wisdom. The words are poetic. I just pity xiatao who always lost and confuse with ml's speech. :lol:

I love XiaoTao protectiveness towards ML :wub: Although she always confused with ML way of thinking, she still faithfully support ML action thru and thru.. I wish to Xiaotao pairing up with Shitou.. LOL.. Who's with me??!! Put's your hands up!!! LOL

16 hours ago, deslynn88 said:

Manniang comes back and the first thing she does is try to blackmail him to make her a concubine before she return his son to him.  That golddigging trash!

I thought I saw someone post that she was actually sent to him by his step-mother.  Is that true?

I can't wait to see how ML & GTY going to destroy MN.. I hope Rong'er hates her mother for being so manipulative n evil.. What kind of mother is that??!! Sheeshhh... I feel like digging a grave a burying MN alive for treating her children like that :rage: what a spiteful woman.. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, lyaarisa said:

Shitou has 3 beauties to choose from ml maids. All are loyal and fierce in protecting ml. 

About manniang, i don't think that ml & gty will destroy mn. The have to consider the feeling of rong'er. Otherwise the relationship between ml and rong will be destroyed. 

7 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

@bulubulu@UnniSarah @m0us3y @leeza77 @lilkat75 @cherubstomato

I was confused on why you guys were comparing GTY and SH. I couldn't recall that they were compared in any of ML's conversation with her maids. I then remembered there is one conversation GTY overheard and I just check viki's sub for epi 44. Now, I know where you guys get it from. Viki's translators translate东家 here as Mr. Sheng.  I'm not sure whether Dong Jia (东家) referred by Suiwei here means ML's father SH. I need to wait and compare with the subs from youtube when it comes out (Note: I didn't mean to criticize translators. They have been doing a tremendous job for us international viewers, almost catching up to today's episodes). When I watched that conversation, I just took it as Suiwei was saying ML seemed to be talking about her boss (someone who gives her money) rather than her husband. ML then responded saying yes, we need to treat him like the boss respectfully and cautiously. Thus, like some of you mentioned, I don't see any reason for ML to be comparing GTY with her father in that conversation. She did compare GTY with SH when she was talking about his children. 

I might be wrong and the writers are really referring to SH... :D :D :D 

The way ML is acting right now is according to Grandma's teaching and suitable for a main wife at that time. It's not just about SH or QH, bc they are the men representing the era, and that was how most men would act. ML is being realistic. I'm sure at the moment she cares deeply and trust GTY, she just doesn't believe his love could last. And I don't blame her. Anyone could change and any love could fade away. Men can be ruthless when they no longer care. ML and GTY are not in an equal relationship. GTY is the one in power and ML is dependent on him. He could walk away anytime without consequences while ML would lose everything. Even in the modern era I don't believe love could last, not to mention the period when men could have multiple women. I think viewers are romanticized their relationship too much and hoping they would act like in modern times but that is impossible. ML is feeling insecure bc of her status and position and she is basically living under GTY's protection so she's trying not to be demanding of GTY. GTY has big love for her now but she is afraid if she spends it luxuriously it will worn out. Her thoughts are very logical and exactly what I would be thinking if I were her.

@valsava

" We need.....our fellow historian to fill us in on this..

With regards to the green wedding dress, I believe that the question had been answer

"I remember when I watch Yi San several years back the colors of there place was also a part of the colors of the palace in China being that Korea was supposed to be the mother state to China or something of that nature.. "

The colours for Korean palaces & Buddhist temples known as Dancheong (단청,丹青)  built during the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) & later Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) were influences from the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127) architect Li Jie (李誡 1065-1110) which were known as "Painting & Decoration of the Song Style" (宋式彩畫) in which the drama era is based

For your information, I am not following this drama therefore have no knowledge on the on-goings

5 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

The way ML is acting right now is according to Grandma's teaching and suitable for a main wife at that time. It's not just about SH or QH, bc they are the men representing the era, and that was how most men would act. ML is being realistic. I'm sure at the moment she cares deeply and trust GTY, she just doesn't believe his love could last. And I don't blame her. Anyone could change and any love could fade away. Men can be ruthless when they no longer care. ML and GTY are not in an equal relationship. GTY is the one in power and ML is dependent on him. He could walk away anytime without consequences while ML would lose everything. Even in the modern era I don't believe love could last, not to mention the period when men could have multiple women. I think viewers are romanticized their relationship too much and hoping they would act like in modern times but that is impossible. ML is feeling insecure bc of her status and position and she is basically living under GTY's protection so she's trying not to be demanding of GTY. GTY has big love for her now but she is afraid if she spends it luxuriously it will worn out. Her thoughts are very logical and exactly what I would be thinking if I were her.

Of course there must be a long lasting love... Or else there is no point in authoring the novel or producing the drama, just to give a conclusion that the male lead and female didn't fell in love but they live comfortably with each other. It doesn't make sense. Eventhough you maybe right at that era love is not important, but we are talking about the unique and lucky couple who fell in love after facing hardships and difficulties. And i like fairytale and happy ending. 

2 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Of course there must be a long lasting love... Or else there is no point in authoring the novel or producing the drama, just to give a conclusion that the male lead and female didn't fell in love but they live comfortably with each other. It doesn't make sense. Eventhough you maybe right at that era love is not important, but we are talking about the unique and lucky couple who fell in love after facing hardships and difficulties. And i like fairytale and happy ending. 

I'm just saying this is what happens from ML's POV at the moment. Of course they will have happy ending but it takes time and patience. Besides, it's ok for her to loves and trusts GTY but still reserves sth for herself. But that's not how things usually go in romance dramas.

7 hours ago, m0us3y said:

I don't think the issue is ever if she cares for him. 

She has always been thinking for his best interest, from Rong'er, to advancing his career, bringing Shitou with him during the rebellion. 

She even cooked him porridge when he was sick during their early days. 

Now as his wife, naturally she cares for him a lot more. 

In fact, I even believe she loves him. 

But that doesnt always equal to opening up to him on everything, the way he hopes she will. 

She still doesn't trust that he will love her forever. After all, like another chingu said, that would be rare those days, and they truly are exceptions rather than norm. 

And ML wouldn't want to put her hopes up for an exception I feel. 

@m0us3y  ML loves her husband, But from what she has seen and witness she can't fully trust men because they seem to change over time.. All this stems from her dad down to GTY and his relationship with MN.. She knew all to well how GTY spoke up for MN whom was a sheep in lambs clothing.. At some point ML knew MN would coe back with his son demanding a spot in that ouse again using the son to have her way.. ML isn't fully giving herself to GTY because if these reasons.. This is what she means not to expect to much and you won't be disapointed nor will you feel you've been betrayed..

7 hours ago, leeza77 said:

As i said b4 time will heal.. Patience and perseverance. Slowly coaxing, ml will come around. Or maybe a big slapped on her face (the arrival of manniang) will give ml shock abd revelation of her love towards gty. 

@leeza77  ML has a shield around her and with MN showing up that barrier just thicken.. Maybe after she has kids and she could rest that MN is really gone she start to losen up a bit for him to break it down.. Once she sees how he is with they're child would make all the difference.. ML knows all to well about growing up and seeing how the status difference stigma effects a childs life and same goes for how the parents treat one another in front of the child..  As long as he continue to shower her with his affection and love for her she'll realize how much she loves her husband and he's by far not perfect..

Okay I just have to get this off my chest.. First it was the evil MIL trying to bring others into the marriage just a day after the wedding.. Now it's the Dowager.. Is she trying to get back at GTY for QH.. I have never known in all my years of watching from Kdrama to Cdrama were the Empress gice out they servants to go be concubines.. Now she also trying to place spies in the house, Also QH it took on doing her petty biding without knowing it or did he.. Is this his way of getting back at GTy and ML.. As he still not thought about his own actions towards ML..       

7 hours ago, m0us3y said:

I don't think the issue is ever if she cares for him. 

She has always been thinking for his best interest, from Rong'er, to advancing his career, bringing Shitou with him during the rebellion. 

She even cooked him porridge when he was sick during their early days. 

Now as his wife, naturally she cares for him a lot more. 

In fact, I even believe she loves him. 

But that doesnt always equal to opening up to him on everything, the way he hopes she will. 

She still doesn't trust that he will love her forever. After all, like another chingu said, that would be rare those days, and they truly are exceptions rather than norm. 

And ML wouldn't want to put her hopes up for an exception I feel. 

@m0us3y  ML loves her husband, But from what she has seen and witness she can't fully trust men because they seem to change over time.. All this stems from her dad down to GTY and his relationship with MN.. She knew all to well how GTY spoke up for MN whom was a sheep in lambs clothing.. At some point ML knew MN would coe back with his son demanding a spot in that ouse again using the son to have her way.. ML isn't fully giving herself to GTY because if these reasons.. This is what she means not to expect to much and you won't be disapointed nor will you feel you've been betrayed..

7 hours ago, leeza77 said:

As i said b4 time will heal.. Patience and perseverance. Slowly coaxing, ml will come around. Or maybe a big slapped on her face (the arrival of manniang) will give ml shock abd revelation of her love towards gty. 

@leeza77  ML has a shield around her and with MN showing up that barrier just thicken.. Maybe after she has kids and she could rest that MN is really gone she start to losen up a bit for him to break it down.. Once she sees how he is with they're child would make all the difference.. ML knows all to well about growing up and seeing how the status difference stigma effects a childs life and same goes for how the parents treat one another in front of the child..  As long as he continue to shower her with his affection and love for her she'll realize how much she loves her husband and he's by far not perfect..

Okay I just have to get this off my chest.. First it was the evil MIL trying to bring others into the marriage just a day after the wedding.. Now it's the Dowager.. Is she trying to get back at GTY for QH.. I have never known in all my years of watching from Kdrama to Cdrama were the Empress gice out they servants to go be concubines.. Now she also trying to place spies in the house, Also QH it took on doing her petty biding without knowing it or did he.. Is this his way of getting back at GTy and ML.. As he still not thought about his own actions towards ML..       

7 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

@bulubulu@UnniSarah @m0us3y @leeza77 @lilkat75 @cherubstomato

I was confused on why you guys were comparing GTY and SH. I couldn't recall that they were compared in any of ML's conversation with her maids. I then remembered there is one conversation GTY overheard and I just check viki's sub for epi 44. Now, I know where you guys get it from. Viki's translators translate东家 here as Mr. Sheng.  I'm not sure whether Dong Jia (东家) referred by Suiwei here means ML's father SH. I need to wait and compare with the subs from youtube when it comes out (Note: I didn't mean to criticize translators. They have been doing a tremendous job for us international viewers, almost catching up to today's episodes). When I watched that conversation, I just took it as Suiwei was saying ML seemed to be talking about her boss (someone who gives her money) rather than her husband. ML then responded saying yes, we need to treat him like the boss respectfully and cautiously. Thus, like some of you mentioned, I don't see any reason for ML to be comparing GTY with her father in that conversation. She did compare GTY with SH when she was talking about his children. 

I might be wrong and the writers are really referring to SH... :D :D :D 

Viki's translation of 东家 as Mr. Sheng doesn't make sense. 东家 means landlord or to make it easier to understand, boss. Suiwei was somewhat confused that ML talked about GTY not as a wife but as a tenant talking about her landlord or an employee referring to her boss. As a daughter of SH, she wouldn't call him Mr. Sheng, for it would be inappropriate. 

18 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@valsava

" We need.....our fellow historian to fill us in on this..

With regards to the green wedding dress, I believe that the question had been answer

"I remember when I watch Yi San several years back the colors of there place was also a part of the colors of the palace in China being that Korea was supposed to be the mother state to China or something of that nature.. "

The colours for Korean palaces & Buddhist temples known as Dancheong (단청,丹青)  built during the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) & later Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) were influences from the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127) architect Li Jie (李誡 1065-1110) which were known as "Painting & Decoration of the Song Style" (宋式彩畫) in which the drama era is based

For your information, I am not following this drama therefore have no knowledge on the on-goings

Thanks @gerrytan8063   

Someone ask about why is Ming Lan wore a green over red wedding dress. It seemed during that dynasty, the green represent the status that the bride is going over as the principal wife.

We also saw the same colour scheme in Molan's outfit but hers was less elaborate unlike Ming Lan. Molan was not the favoured choice of the Liang Han's mother and further more it was a rush wedding hence her wedding dress was less ornate.

Ming Lan's wedding dress was elaborate and the heavy head gear depict Gu Ting Ye spared no expense to his bride. Only the best for my bride. Even Grandmother noted that Gu Ting Ye specially prepared all the bridal gifts for Ming Lan alone. She even check the bridal gift list when he proposed to Yanran and it is not the same list.

53 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

34 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

I'm just saying this is what happens from ML's POV at the moment. Of course they will have happy ending but it takes time and patience. Besides, it's ok for her to loves and trusts GTY but still reserves sth for herself. But that's not how things usually go in romance dramas.

ML will never fully 100% open up and trust GTY that just wont happen even if she said shes 100% shes most likely 80%.  She will love GTY but there will always be a doubt in the back of her head. What IF gty suddenly does not want me i need a back up plan. ML will 100% think of this even when they are in love etc..

If she gives him 100% trust and 100% love only to be let down later on she would be dumb which ML is not.

32 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

Im pretty sure stuff like this did happen in those type's of drama's it was just not important to be shown , im pretty sure royalty tried to do this with powerful houses they wanted influence in or wanted to bring down. I also think QH did this without knowing, at least im hoping that.

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:

Well said.

Since we know in the novel ML is from the modern world, it makes more sense she has these views as woman in our time are more independent. 

I really love what she said to GTY in episode 45, how he takes care of external problems and she takes care of internal problems. ML is considerate and don’t want to stress her husband out to take care of everything.. But we see that some things are beyond her capabilities at times and she does allow GTY to help her out. 

ML always talks about how she doesn’t know if she will be able to repay GTYs kindness over and over again. That I’m starting to wonder if that it is not that she doesn’t trust GTY love for her (GTY always reminds her his loyalty in a joking manner) but that she doesn’t believe in herself?

Even though she tries her best but what if it’s not good enough? As if she fears she would get too comfortable and maybe he will stop trying hard to win her. Or as if she must be a perfect wife so that he doesn’t find any fault in her or compare her to others. And it becomes suffocating... I believe these thoughts are somewhat tiring. 

Perhaps ML is just really overwhelmed with how well GTY treats her that it scares her. Scared of being used to his pampering that if he had an off day maybe she might spite him. 

I love what the empress sister said that a husband and wife are one body. What is there to repay? So ML stop keeping receipts on GTY. 

The best scene that I love is how GTY is always there at ML dresser putting makeup on himself. Lol it’s as if she married to her best friend. 

I agree. I share ml’s POV not to open up and trust anybody 100%. And I don’t think she knows him enough to trust him 100% at this point. Love doesn’t imply 100% trust. It’s smart to protect herself, it’d be even today. And he shouldn’t  expect it.

Spoiler

In the novel he found out he didn’t open up completely either.

The point is though that they need to find a compromise that works for both, a balance between blind trust and low trust. 

9 minutes ago, fra8 said:

I agree. I share ml’s POV not to open up and trust anybody 100%. And I don’t think she knows him enough to trust him 100% at this point. Love doesn’t imply 100% trust. It’s smart to protect herself, it’d be even today. And he shouldn’t  expect it.

Hide contents

In the novel he found out he didn’t open up completely either.

The point is though that they need to find a compromise that works for both, a balance between blind trust and low trust. 

They said before you love someone, you must first love yourself. :ph34r: But to be human is to have moments of vulnerabilities. And when you start to deeply love someone, it’s when you’ve declared you surrender. Kkkkk lol 

I believe ML is learning/discovering what it’s like to truly fall in love with someone. 

39 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

My two cents from Kdrama and Cdrama watching knowledge. In Kpalace dramas, this would never happen as all the women in the palace were the 'kings women'. Even after leaving the palace they were not allowed to marry.

In Chinese palace dramas, female servants were allowed to leave after 4-6 years of service. The favoured ones would have their futures organised for them (usually as concubines ) to high ranking aristocratic families. It was also customary for imperial males to gift away concubines either to cut costs or to clear the courtyards for the new selection which happened every few years.

6 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

The other part that struck me was when she was getting ready to go to the palace. GTY picked up the eyebrow pencil & ML said that is it was a normal day she would let him to do her makeup but if she lets him ‘draw on’ her face now she will run late because of cleaning & reapplying. That showed me that she is softening as well.

I liked what the Empress’ sister told her in the carriage. ML doesn’t have to repay GTY because they are husband & wife & are considered one

@darkphoenix123  Sorry for cutting your post chingu. I love the fact that ML and GTY do have fun together. Their marriage work and they are happy. I was clapping at what The Empress’s sister said to ML because it was true. I also love the fact that ML’s face actually softened up a bit because GTY is so good to her. She was at awe that GTY could be that way. He makes her laugh and boy he is protective of her.  I love GTY’s revenge to the managers. I wonder if he crippled them because they dared threatened his wife or because of how they took advantage of the folks they were to protect and serve.  What do you guys think???

6 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Gty is a bulldozer. Sometimes you can use force to get result and sometimes you must resort to gentle coaxing. Ml is just like animal who was injured. Gty must gently coax her slowly. 

@leeza77.... GTY is a bulldozer but O think he is learning to be patient with Ming Lan. But there is so much he can take of her pushing him away. Look at how worried she was for him when she found blood on his clothes. Also worried that he would die on her. Then he went on to tell her about The plant “Return to Spring” how she can use it if he ever cheats on her . Scaring her with this info. He is hilarious saying all that to test her feeling for him. 

1 hour ago, lyaarisa said:

@lyaarisa I love XiaoTao too and wishes she ends up with Shitou. They would make a cute couple and she needs a smart and Strong husband to spoil her.  Ming Lan spoils XiaoTao with food. She is like her master who loves food. 

Archived