[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

Ming Lan had said several times that she wished that her father was more like Gu Ting Ye who obvious love for his children is displayed on his sleeves. She even said in the next life she wished to be Gu Ting Ye's child.

In the Old Maquis letter, he wrote that Lady Bai's dowry which is what the whole Gu Family is living on must be return to Gu Ting Ye. That will mean the Gu family will  be an empty shell.

That is why Older Brother aligned himself with Gu Ting Ye giving both money and title to ensure his wife and daughter's future as he knew that Gu Ting Ye will take care of his family.

It was worth watching that fake mask of the Stepmother coming undone.

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Anyone can correct me here but. What if Ming Lan treats him like this because she already cares for him. I can’t remember who said that Ming Lan doesn’t hate her father ( At rhe time i felt that she does hate him but this comment made some good point on why she think ML loves her dad). So if she choose to treat him that way must because she does care and is just too afraid of him really disappointing her because it can break her. Yes GTY and Sheng Hong are completely different but For ML emotionally they are the sane6. Does this make sense??

I believe she do care for him... 

She just treats him the way she does because it is the way she knows how to. She is clear minded and have her own values... Not every couple hold the same beliefs so they will need to work on understanding each other deeper. And GTY to not play mind games and tell her straight what he wants/needs. Learn to compromise along the way. Give and take.

57 minutes ago, matrim said:

In ancient China, male head of household shared the bedroom with big madam. He didn't have his own bedroom. If he had a row with his wife and concubines and didn't want to see them, he could retreat to his study and slept there. That's what GTY did in the novel.

So is it just the emperor that have his own room? 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

I don't know he will be on empress dowager's side in the future as ML mentioned in today's episode that her father told her Qi family is on empress dowager's side as ED gives favor to Yong Wang sons and grandchildren, QH was married to YW's daughter before and QH's father used to work with ED's older brother. However, so far, QH seems to be just doing his job.  

Er..Yong Wang who who tried to kill the former Emperor (her husband )? I guess in politics its true, there are no permanent enemies, only permanent interests. 

That Qi family seems to schmooze up to anyone in power. No wonder it has lost prestige over the years.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

So is it just the emperor that have his own room? 

Yes, emperor has his own living quarter where the audience hall and his office is located. In forbidden city (imperial palace for Ming and Qing dynasties), emperor's living quarter is in Palace of Heavenly Purity () which is located at the very front of (southernmost part of) the back palace. He not only has one room but there are 9 rooms on two levels with 27 beds which emperor can choose randomly for security purpose. Starting from YongZheng emperor, Palace of Heavenly Purity was only used as Emperor's audience hall, where he held court, received ministers and emissaries, and held banquets. Yongzheng and emperors after him lived in Yan Xing Tian (Hall of Mental Cultivation), located in west of Palace of Heavenly Purity. His office/ study is in front and he slept in the back hall of Hall of Mental Cultivation. I guess it is similar to male head of household sleeping in study but for emperors, the study hall is larger and can be divided into many rooms (front, back, east and west).  

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

Anyone can correct me here but. What if Ming Lan treats him like this because she already cares for him. I can’t remember who said that Ming Lan doesn’t hate her father ( At rhe time i felt that she does hate him but this comment made some good point on why she think ML loves her dad). So if she choose to treat him that way must because she does care and is just too afraid of him really disappointing her because it can break her. Yes GTY and Sheng Hong are completely different but For ML emotionally they are the sane6. Does this make sense??

I have to agree with what you mentioned above ^ I think she has been burned and disappointed by the ones she placed hope into so many times. This is in relation to SH failing to bring justice to her mother's death, QH's failed promises with marriage and even a bit of the doctor's situation. I think the first two were the massive influences on her mindset now since, in an earlier episode, grandma reprimanded ML for continuing to place hopes in QH but ML was resolute in saying that she would fight for QH because he was doing all he can do be with her (though we know that failed...:sweatingbullets:). That was the second time she opened up her barrier (?) and she just got burned. Even though many of the characters have been betrayed/disappointed e.g. GTY with his step-mother and MN., everyone reacts differently to their circumstances and this happens to be the way ML wants to protect herself emotionally with a barrier. She does care for him but it's still withdrawn. Thus, she has become quite resigned, pragmatic and unwilling to put her entire faith in GTY which kind of prevents her from living the happiest she could be. GTY even mentions to himself after eavesdropping to ML's conversation with her maids, what can he do for her to trust him... And I think these actions are going to be the foundation to the fight she and GTY will have in the future as mentioned in the book. However, I think this particular fight will be good as it will better develop ML's character in my opinion. Anyways, I have to catch up on a lot of the posts here :w00t:

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

1 minute ago, lilkat75 said:

I have to agree with what you mentioned above ^ I think she has been burned and disappointed by the ones she placed hope into so many times. This is in relation to SH failing to bring justice to her mother's death, QH's failed promises with marriage and even a bit of the doctor's situation. I think the first two were the massive influences on her mindset now since, in an earlier episode, grandma reprimanded ML for continuing to place hopes in QH but ML was resolute in saying that she would fight for QH because he was doing all he can do be with her (though we know that failed...:sweatingbullets:). That was the second time she opened up her barrier (?) and she just got burned. Even though many of the characters have been betrayed/disappointed e.g. GTY with his step-mother and MN., everyone reacts differently to their circumstances and this happens to be the way ML wants to protect herself emotionally with a barrier. She does care for him but it's still withdrawn. Thus, she has become quite resigned, pragmatic and unwilling to put her entire faith in GTY which kind of prevents her from living the happiest she could be. GTY even mentions to himself after eavesdropping to ML's conversation with her maids, what can he do for her to trust him... And I think these actions are going to be the foundation to the fight she and GTY will have in the future as mentioned in the book. However, I think this particular fight will be good as it will better develop ML's character in my opinion. Anyways, I have to catch up on a lot of the posts here :w00t:

Sh watch ep 45. How ml worried about gty getting hurt and catch cold. 

3 hours ago, leeza77 said:

45th episode:

The bath scene, ml found traces of blood on gty's shirt. Really worried and speedily check her hubb's body for wounds.Then stopped the husband from taking bath bcoz of the house was not perfectly seal, afraid gty will catch cold.. This little scene concerned are the evidence that she has soften towards him a lot.. Gty just have to be patience, cultivate the relationship. Love will not be far in the future. 

The same episode, he was teasing her about a story of a man who has an illicit affairs. The wife found out and plot a revenge vs the hubby and put a little herbs in the hubby's foods called "spring grass". Gty said that if i do the same, you can use the same on me. My life in your hands.. The jokes is, the spring grass herbs actually is an approdiasic (ha ha.. The woman's hubby maybe died because overexertion, not becoz of poison):D

• Like 4

@bulubulu@UnniSarah @m0us3y @leeza77 @lilkat75 @cherubstomato

I was confused on why you guys were comparing GTY and SH. I couldn't recall that they were compared in any of ML's conversation with her maids. I then remembered there is one conversation GTY overheard and I just check viki's sub for epi 44. Now, I know where you guys get it from. Viki's translators translate东家 here as Mr. Sheng.  I'm not sure whether Dong Jia (东家) referred by Suiwei here means ML's father SH. I need to wait and compare with the subs from youtube when it comes out (Note: I didn't mean to criticize translators. They have been doing a tremendous job for us international viewers, almost catching up to today's episodes). When I watched that conversation, I just took it as Suiwei was saying ML seemed to be talking about her boss (someone who gives her money) rather than her husband. ML then responded saying yes, we need to treat him like the boss respectfully and cautiously. Thus, I don't see any reason for ML to be comparing GTY with her father in that conversation. She did compare GTY with SH when she was talking about his children. 

I might be wrong and the writers are really referring to SH... :D :D :D 

9 hours ago, mooose said:

Er..Yong Wang who who tried to kill the former Emperor (her husband )? I guess in politics its true, there are no permanent enemies, only permanent interests. 

That Qi family seems to schmooze up to anyone in power. No wonder it has lost prestige over the years.

No. The one that tried to kill the former old emperor was Yan Wang. Yan Wang was the one supported by Rong Fei.  Yong Wang was the one designated as crown prince by former emperor. He is QH's father-in-law. Since Yong Wang was designated as crown prince (not clear whether the announcement has been made but it was expected he will be designated as emperor gave him the task to worship the ancestors on behalf of him which is usually the job for heir), QH's gave up ML and married his daughter, Jiacheng princess, as he was sure that Yong Wang can harm ML and her family now or in the future when he became emperor. Yan Wang then usurped the throne with the help of Rong Fei when he realized he wouldn't become heir to the throne. Yan Wang killed Yong Wang, his wife, some of his sons and daughter in front of QH's mom princess. 

QH's mother is like empress dowager's adopted daughter. She lived at the empress' palace after she was given princess title. It was the empress (empress dowager now) whom she begged to help for her husband's release when he didn't come home after visiting Yong Wang's house. So, Qi family has connection to Empress dowager through QH's mom, QH's ex-wife and QH's dad (via ED's older brother).

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

45th episode:

The bath scene, ml found traces of blood on gty's shirt. Really worried and speedily check her hubb's body for wounds.Then stopped the husband from taking bath bcoz of the house was not perfectly seal, afraid gty will catch cold.. This little scene concerned are the evidence that she has soften towards him a lot.. Gty just have to be patience, cultivate the relationship. Love will not be far in the future. 

The same episode, he was teasing her about a story of a man who has an illicit affairs. The wife found out and plot a revenge vs the hubby and put a little herbs in the hubby's foods called "spring grass". Gty said that if i do the same, you can use the same on me. My life in your hands.. The jokes is, the spring grass herbs actually is an approdiasic (ha ha.. The woman's hubby maybe died because overexertion, not becoz of poison):D

I don't think the issue is ever if she cares for him. 

She has always been thinking for his best interest, from Rong'er, to advancing his career, bringing Shitou with him during the rebellion. 

She even cooked him porridge when he was sick during their early days. 

Now as his wife, naturally she cares for him a lot more. 

In fact, I even believe she loves him. 

But that doesnt always equal to opening up to him on everything, the way he hopes she will. 

She still doesn't trust that he will love her forever. After all, like another chingu said, that would be rare those days, and they truly are exceptions rather than norm. 

And ML wouldn't want to put her hopes up for an exception I feel. 

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, mooose said:

I think Yong Wang was the family who was killed during the rebellion. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, lilkat75 said:

@leeza77 I know ML deeply cares about GTY :wub: and they have plenty of cute and deep moments with each other. Just like how ML looks up to GTY and had wished SH has been more like him. However, I still think ML keeps a barrier to protect herself. 

As i said b4 time will heal.. Patience and perseverance. Slowly coaxing, ml will come around. Or maybe a big slapped on her face (the arrival of manniang) will give ml shock abd revelation of her love towards gty. 

• Like 11

45th episode:

The other part that struck me was when she was getting ready to go to the palace. GTY picked up the eyebrow pencil & ML said that is it was a normal day she would let him to do her makeup but if she lets him ‘draw on’ her face now she will run late because of cleaning & reapplying. That showed me that she is softening as well.

I liked what the Empress’ sister told her in the carriage. ML doesn’t have to repay GTY because they are husband & wife & are considered one. ML looked like she was considering that so maybe her friend will help her in opening up because I don’t think she had an actual friend before (3rd Yan sister was more of a family acquaintance)

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

As i said b4 time will heal.. Patience and perseverance. Slowly coaxing, ml will come around. Or maybe a big slapped on her face (the arrival of manniang) will give ml shock abd revelation of her love towards gty. 

I'm with U. I feel ML is learning and slowly opening up. 

But that's not exactly GTY's modus operandi is it? :lol:

That's why they really need to communicate and compromise to come to middle ground. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

19 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

The other part that struck me was when she was getting ready to go to the palace. GTY picked up the eyebrow pencil & ML said that is it was a normal day she would let him to do her makeup but if she lets him ‘draw on’ her face now she will run late because of cleaning & reapplying. That showed me that she is softening as well.

I liked what the Empress’ sister told her in the carriage. ML doesn’t have to repay GTY because they are husband & wife & are considered one. ML looked like she was considering that so maybe her friend will help her in opening up because I don’t think she had an actual friend before (3rd Yan sister was more of a family acquaintance)

The difference between ml and tge princess is the social gap. The princess has no social gap with her hubby. The are from the same circle. Whilst gty and ml has a huge different. One is the heir to a Marquis while ml is an unloved child born out of a concubine. It's not easy to overcome the inferior feeling. To be able to trust, she must overcome that feeling first. And the development between gty and ml showed that love and trust is not far away. All the tragedies that will happen to them is designed to reveal the real feeling and strengthen it. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I'm with U. I feel ML is learning and slowly opening up. 

But that's not exactly GTY's modus operandi is it? :lol:

That's why they really need to communicate and compromise to come to middle ground. 

Gty is a bulldozer. Sometimes you can use force to get result and sometimes you must resort to gentle coaxing. Ml is just like animal who was injured. Gty must gently coax her slowly. 

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

The difference between ml and tge princess is the social gap. The princess has no social gap with her hubby. The are from the same circle. Whilst gty and ml has a huge different. One is the heir to a Marquis while ml is an unloved child born out of a concubine. It's not easy to overcome the inferior feeling. To be able to trust, she must overcome that feeling first. And the development between gty and ml showed that love and trust is not far away. All the tragedies that will happen to them is designed to reveal the real feeling and strengthen it. 

Yeah. ML has brought up the fact she's a lowly unloved Shu daughter of a low official a couple of times. 

But I do love that GTY's responses everytime.. ESP the one over dinner table where he said that "one day, no one will look down upon you anymore"...

34 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Gty is a bulldozer. Sometimes you can use force to get result and sometimes you must resort to gentle coaxing. Ml is just like animal who was injured. Gty must gently coax her slowly. 

Hahahaha. I just thought he's not the most patient person. But I wouldn't disagree that he is a bit of a bulldozer. :lol:

• Like 8

9 hours ago, leeza77 said:

The difference between ml and the princess is the social gap. The princess has no social gap with her hubby. They are from the same circle. Whilst gty and ml has a huge different. One is the heir to a Marquis while ml is an unloved child born out of a concubine. It's not easy to overcome the inferior feeling. To be able to trust, she must overcome that feeling first. And the development between gty and ml showed that love and trust is not far away. All the tragedies that will happen to them is designed to reveal the real feeling and strengthen it. 

Although I agree with most of what you're saying here, I just wanna point out one thing. Empress's shen younger sister is NOT a princess though she might be a di daughter. Empress' family supposedly is not nobility nor her father is high official. They're from small town of Yuzhou prefecture where current emperor used to be prefect and general of small troop (like military governor). When she visited ML's house with her brother, she mentioned that she likes to be at ML's place as she can be herself not needing to worry about etiquettes. She didn't get along with other women from Bianjing as they considered her uncultured and country bumpkin. ML said lady Shen's personality is similar to her cousin Pin Lan. She is married to Zheng family and I'm not sure he is also from Yuzhou but ML mentioned Zheng family is well-educated.

@darkphoenix123 You are right, Lady Shen might become ML's friend as ML mentioned they got along well since they're from similar lower status. Are you referring to Yu Yanran (eldest daughter of Yu family) whom GTY wanted to marry before when you mentioned Yan 3rd sister? 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Golden Flower said:

Although I agree with most of what you're saying here, I just wanna clarify one thing. Empress's shen younger sister is NOT a princess though she might be a di daughter. Empress' family supposedly is not nobility nor her father is high official. They're from small town of You Zhou prefecture where current emperor used to be prefect and general of small troop (like military governor). When she visited ML's house with her brother, she mentioned that she likes to be at ML's place as she can be herself not needing to worry about etiquettes. She didn't get along with other women from Bianjing as they considered her uncultured and country bumpkin. ML said lady Shen's personality is similar to her cousin Pin Lan. She is married to Zheng family and I'm not sure he is also from Yuzhou but ML mentioned Zheng family is well-educated.

@darkphoenix123 You are right, Lady Shen might become ML's friend. Are you referring to Yu Yanran (eldest daughter of Yu family) whom GTY wanted to marry before when you mentioned Yan 3rd sister? 

Talking about yanran, i was wondering if yanran married to gty, she might come back to ml, plead with to solve her marriages. What a nightmare for a weak girl like yanran who just know how to cry we facing any problem. (i'm not dishing yanran, it's just that her character is a weak and feeble woman) 

Whilst if gty married Rulan, we might see screaming competition with the fourth auntie and throwing insult  with the fifth auntie. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 6