[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

2 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

GTY didn't have and unborn sibling. His mother died shortly after giving birth to him.

GTY did have a unborn sibling. His mother died of miscarriage when she was pregnant with the second child. It's in episode 8.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

OH!! I got confused @linhlinh111 when O watched the scene where GTY’s MoMo told him about what happened in the past. Thanks for the correction. Going to rewatch it.:D

I went and checked (episode 8) and you are right. GTY's mom was heavily pregnant for the second time when she overheard a woman slandering her to the first son and then went to confront GTY's dad.

Maybe it was different in the novel but in the drama GTY's mom died during premature labor of her second child.

31 minutes ago, selen4ever said:

I went and checked (episode 8) and you are right. GTY's mom was heavily pregnant for the second time when she overheard a woman slandering her to the first son and then went to confront GTY's dad.

Maybe it was different in the novel but in the drama GTY's mom died during premature labor of her second child.

That is what I thought too. I clearly remember seeing baby GTY and mom heavily pregnant. Thanks @selen4ever @matrim @darkphoenix123 for backing me up. evil-smile-onion-head-emoticon.gif Maybe it is different from the novel. If it is , it makes so much more sadder because GTY’s mom  never got to hold her son and making him an orphan as soon as he was born. I have to say GTY’s father sure is a cold man to get married so quickly after the death of his wife. Smh smh Smh 

30 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

If Manniang is there that means ML will be pregnant soon...

5 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

If Manniang is there that means ML will be pregnant soon...

Spoiler

She came back without the son.. In the mv, there is a scene where gty cried in front of grave (?) . I guess chang'er has died before manniang came back. 

Qh's opposed to gty pleading for his relative before the emperor.. I want to believe that qh just doing his job, but... My heart feel that qh really holding a grudge vs gty. 

10 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

That is what I thought too. I clearly remember seeing baby GTY and mom heavily pregnant. Thanks @selen4ever @matrim @darkphoenix123 for backing me up. evil-smile-onion-head-emoticon.gif Maybe it is different from the novel. If it is , it makes so much more sadder because GTY never got to hold her son and making an orphan as he was born. I have to say GTY sure world real fast to get married so quickly after the death of his wife. Smh smh Smh 

Basically the same in the novel. GTY's mother had a miscarriage after a quarrel with Marquis Gu. The only difference is the cause of the quarrel was unclear.

8 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

She came back without the son.. In the mv, there is a scene where gty cried in front of grave (?) . I guess chang'er has died before manniang came back. 

Qh's opposed to gty pleading for his relative before the emperor.. I want to believe that qh just doing his job, but... My heart feel that qh really holding a grudge vs gty. 

Spoiler

More shocking is that GTY would go all out to save his cousins' necks, even to the extent of him receiving the punishment instead. What's he thinking? Where had all the hatred gone?

Trailer

8 minutes ago, matrim said:
  Hide contents

More shocking is that GTY would go all out to save his cousins' necks, even to the extent of him receiving the punishment instead. What's he thinking? Where had all the hatred gone?

Spoiler

Bcoz of the brother's request? 

4 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Trailer

Reveal hidden contents

Bcoz of the brother's request? 

Spoiler

Even if he did this out of his brother's request, which meant he accepted them as family, it's still ridiculous. GTY wasn't a rash man. He had the big picture in his mind. As he said earlier to ML, there would be a fierce fight between emperor and empress dowager. He would know what it meant for the emperor if he was sacked because of this.

15 minutes ago, matrim said:
  Hide contents

Even if he did this out of his brother's request, which meant he accepted them as family, it's still ridiculous. GTY wasn't a rash man. He had the big picture in his mind. As he said earlier to ML, there would be a fierce fight between emperor and empress dowager. He would know what it meant for the emperor if he was sacked because of this.

GTY is someone who plan 3 steps ahead and 2 steps back. I'm positive there is a reason for doing this.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, paras said:

GTY is someone who plan 3 steps ahead and 2 steps back. I'm positive there is a reason for doing this.

Maybe planning ahead for the separation. He's made public plea in court. Later on he can't be accused of not caring for family, respecting elders, unfilial etc and it would be shameless for the other houses to cling on when they are clearly hindering his career.

21 minutes ago, paras said:

He already had bad reputation in public eye so if he stayed out when his family is in trouble he would be considered cold blooded. that wouldn't make him look good now he's working for the government. It's a cliche thing but in that era they considered a family as a whole, however bad they are if your family was in trouble you had to help. He has to beg for their lives even if it's just for show and he doesn't want to at all. Besides, he promises to his relatives to spare their lives in exchange for his mother's dowry back. He doesn't clean them off their crime, he just help them avoid death penalty. They still receive heavy punishments.

And yeah he also has plans to separate.

29 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

He already had bad reputation in public eye so if he stayed out when his family is in trouble he would be considered cold blooded. that wouldn't make him look good now he's working for the government. It's a cliche thing but in that era they considered a family as a whole, however bad they are if your family was in trouble you had to help. He has to beg for their lives even if it's just for show and he doesn't want to at all. Besides, he promises to his relatives to spare their lives in exchange for his mother's dowry back. He doesn't clean them off their crime, he just help them avoid death penalty. They still receive heavy punishments.

And yeah he also has plans to separate.

Somehow I feel he did that to make them feel sorry for themselves after the brother explained his father's predicament.. Or he did it to make them receive punishment because he knows someone like QH will ask them to be punished no matter what.. Or he did it ao that the supposed fight between the empress dowager and emperor can go well so that the emperor doesn't have any feelings of forgiveness for the dowager since the emperor will want to support GTY but the dowager will say no.. Or he did it after talking to ML and she advised him to... Anyhow I know GTY definitely has something he thought before doing it:joy:

11 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Somehow I feel he did that to make them feel sorry for themselves after the brother explained his father's predicament.. Or he did it to make them receive punishment because he knows someone like QH will ask them to be punished no matter what.. Or he did it ao that the supposed fight between the empress dowager and emperor can go well so that the emperor doesn't have any feelings of forgiveness for the dowager since the emperor will want to support GTY but the dowager will say no.. Or he did it after talking to ML and she advised him to... Anyhow I know GTY definitely has something he thought before doing it:joy:

Yeah it is partly bc of political reasons, partly bc he has personal gain out of this, but definitely not bc of any emotional attachment to that family. He hates them to the core.

5 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

GTY couldn't marry his brother's wife. It was against the law.

The situation in which his brother asked that question:

His brother was trying to explain to GTY why everyone hated GTY's mother. Back then his grandfather was still the Marquis, his father was very much in love with his first wife. His first wife was a fragile woman and was very sick after giving birth to the eldest son (his brother). The Gu family borrowed a hefty sum of money from the treasury (which is normal at the time), but things happened and the emperor suddenly ordered to inspect the treasury. Everyone had a very short amount of time to pay back the money or the title would be ripped off and there would be heavy punishment. GTY's maternal grandfather (Bai family) was a very rich businessman. Back then businessmen had lots of money but low status. And in usual occasions his mother could never be married off to a noble family. However the situation was tight on Gu family so his grandfather wanted his father to divorce his first wife and propose to Bai family. His father didn't want to but his first wife, after knowing this, couldn't stand the mental pressure and died due to sickness. After that the Gu family proposed to Bai family and GTY's mother was married off as the main wife. However his father neglected his mother and she died after childbirth. Right after that his father married his first wife's cousin (who came from the same family) and his second marriage happened when the Gu family was away from the capital, so few people knew about the second wife. His older brother growing up being told by the stepmom that GTY's mother pressured Gu family to marry her, thus leading to his mother's death, resulted in his hatred. Everyone in the Gu family hated her and  GTY cuz they reminded them of how shameful they were, having to marry a low status woman into their family for money. And bc of his mother, they considered him lower than them (Ridiculous I know).

GTY's brother asked him if he were in his father's situation, would he divorce ML to save his father's life and the whole family.

GTY admitted his father did care for him somehow, but he could never forgive how he mistreated his mother and himself. The Gu family basically survived and lived prosperously due to his mother's money, yet they felt shameful of it, looked down on him and tried to erase her existence after she died. GTY was the son who resembled his father most (thus his favourite but he still couldn't like him due to feeling shameful and guilty) so he was strict on him so he can be on his own in the future. GTY was angry as why he had to be on his own while the others could live happily under Gu family's protection, while in fact Gu family owed him.

:lol: that why I said the teasers like to put snippets of scenes in to take things out of context and keeps the viewers asking questions and keep everyone interested to see what’s really going to happen. 

Manniang comes back and the first thing she does is try to blackmail him to make her a concubine before she return his son to him.  That golddigging trash!

I thought I saw someone post that she was actually sent to him by his step-mother.  Is that true?

7 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

Just loved Ming Lan's counter attack on the Empress Dowager's suggestion to take on her palace maids as concubines.

Ming Lan told her that Gu Ting Ye had ordered her to match make his bachelor soldiers with their housemaid so the palace maids will come in as handy candidates.

A little tick off at first the Dowager but gave in to the idea hence Ming Lan is to take them all back and find spouses for them.

I guess what won the argument is the chances would be the palace maids had a chance to be principal wives instead of being a concubine.

SO the maids would be married off to soliders and the soliders are fine with that??

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Im like you as well i want to believe its QH just doing his job but feels like a grudge.

Archived