[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spoiler

So GTY knows ML is holding back and doesn't fully trust him..:(

It's sad for GTY because he truly loves her and want her to be carefree, happy and be able to rely on him. 

It's also so sad for ML that despite all that he has done, at the back of her head, she's afraid that she would have nothing if she totally relies on him, and then his love for her fades, which is more common than not in the era where they have multiple women. 

Can't blame either of them feeling and behaving the way they did...

10 hours ago, sava2sava said:

I'm sorry @matrim But are we watching the same drama.   Did you not hear what GTY said.. GTY knew if he went and ask SH for ML hand in marriage he would have flatly turned him down regardless to his status because SH was more concerned of his own status.. He wanted them to marry scholars and doctors to hold his own head up high and not having Son In Laws status above his.. Only this way he could still feel the need to walk with his head up high wanting to be the Big Kuhuna.. (In other words even if my sht stink it should still smell like roses to you) SH didn't care if any of those girls got educated.. It was Granny that push him to educate her.. Also for ML marriage he wouldn't have cared if she married a beggar in the streets.. He just didn't care about ML at all period..       

Firstly, by getting SH's daughters a good education I mean when they were taught for several years by Mr. Zhuang, a famous scholar along with their brothers, QH and later GTY. What Kong Momo taught them was very important for ladies but it hardly count as a good education in normal sense. As for SH's words, if I remember correctly GTY only said SH loved his honor more than his wife and children, he didn't say he would turn down GTY's proposal flatly. For a civil official, family honor and reputation was vital politically, so it's natural for SH to place honor above family affection, and that's why he got livid when he discovered Molan and RL's love affairs. He even tried to kill RL, hoping in this way to redeem family honor. Once the honor and family reputation got ruined, his career was then finished, so were his family prospects. For SH ignoring ML's marriage, I wouldn't say so. He knew ML was actually brought up by Grandma, so it's up to her to decide ML's marriage. Finally, I didn't say SH was a good father, only a reasonably good father, for he fulfilled his duty as a father reasonably well like I stated before, but failed in treating them fairly and hurt their feelings. And I did mention a prerequisite: judging from the standard at that time. I feel it's not quite right to judge a character in a period drama without considering the historical context. 

4 hours ago, doubleicon said:

This is why I can't like Qh he is always directly or indirectly causing harm to Minglan. Instead of throwing away the dolls like he should, he kept them. Now his wife has found them and she tried to make trouble for Minglan. Jeez dude. I really wish his role was like that in the books. I have grown very tired of QH.

@doubleicon  I think it should be GTY to get QH and wife together and have him to check her regardless to if he kept the dolls are not.. It's not her place to go tattle tale to her Aunt in-laws before checking out with the circumstances was.. Instead of trying to stir up trouble in someone else home.. My guess is she knows she can't compete with the beauty of ML and being that ML and GTY is the talk of the town and yet for these two stay home and mind there own business it's people like her that's making it there business to mind ML and GTY business.. The Ex jealous wife hasn't thought about if her action was to cause ML and GTY to part from one another what will her husband do since she can't recieve all of his heart.. Did she really not know before hand that he had a love interest.. It's not ML fault if he hasn't let go nor is she the one thats keeping and old flame burning being that she's married to someone else.. 

3 hours ago, m0us3y said:

It seems like she just calls him whatever she likes! I still don't really know what she should call him actually.

What should she be calling him anyway? 

@m0us3y  Proud Ruffin Comes To mind..  :w00t:

Do anyone I have clue to when she'll be preggo..?  

3 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Do you mean the brother asked him to marry his wife after his death in order fot gty to inherit the title.. Thus, ml has to be divorced/separated? But, the title sh. be gty's after his death automatically 

@leeza77  From what I read he ask him to divorce ML to protect his wife and child..

@matrim  With SH character you need to read between the lines.. Outside the hime and to the public he's a good person inside the home he's the worst person ever.. If you think about it he's no different then GTY evil step mom both always trying tio save there faces and that they do no wrong..

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So GTY knows ML is holding back and doesn't fully trust him..:(

It's sad for GTY because he truly loves her and want her to be carefree, happy and be able to rely on him. 

It's also so sad for ML that despite all that he has done, at the back of her head, she's afraid that she would have nothing if she totally relies on him, and then his love for her fades, which is more common than not in the era where they have multiple women. 

Can't blame either of them feeling and behaving the way they did...

I think subconsciously, ML might still resent GTY's trickery in getting her. That's maybe part of the reason she didn't trust him completely. As a Shu daughter she experienced all those adversities which taught her to be cautious and not expect too much. She loved GTY with her mind, not her whole heart. It's neither her fault nor his, as they spent too short a time together to really know each other. They needed to face hardships together to deepen their mutual understanding and overcome the emotional barrier.      

33 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@matrim  With SH character you need to read between the lines.. Outside the hime and to the public he's a good person inside the home he's the worst person ever.. If you think about it he's no different then GTY evil step mom both always trying tio save there faces and that they do no wrong..

I don't think it's fair to compare SH with GTY's stepmother. Both had a good public image, but the similarity stops there. The basic difference between them is SH cared for the family honor and GTY's stepmother cared for her son's prospects. As long as her son got the marquis title, she wouldn't hesitate to kill anyone, or to use any devious means to achieve this. 

56 minutes ago, matrim said:

I think subconsciously, ML might still resent GTY's trickery in getting her. That's maybe part of the reason she didn't trust him completely. As a Shu daughter she experienced all those adversities which taught her to be cautious and not expect too much. She loved GTY with her mind, not her whole heart. It's neither her fault nor his, as they spent too short a time together to really know each other. They needed to face hardships together to deepen their mutual understanding and overcome the emotional barrier.      

I do wonder. 

I actually felt she does love him with her heart.

We see her concern for him. See how happy she is with him. 

We see how she's actually capable of acting like a child, being petulant and all with him...

But her mind wouldn't trust him fully knowing full well that she has everything to lose...

3 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I do wonder. 

I actually felt she does love him with her heart.

We see her concern for him. See how happy she is with him. 

We see how she's actually capable of acting like a child, being petulant and all with him...

But her mind wouldn't trust him fully knowing full well that she has everything to lose...

That's why I use "subconsciously". ML felt she loved GTY as you said, but deep down she held something back, as was felt by GTY. She was still guarded somewhat, the proof that she didn't trust GTY 100%.  

I haven't watched the episodes but from reading the comments and watching the previews it seems GTYs brother is tired of all the stress and fighting. He knows how the stepmom operates. He can't trust her. 

He also knows GTY most likely doesn't care for the title and only wants it to pissoff the step mom. Maybe he thought his wife and daughter may have a better future if he willingly gives up the title and GTY inherits.

And about asking GTY to divorce ML... I'm just guessing but maybe GTYs brother is telling him to divorce ML because otherwise she will face non stop attacks from stepmom all her life. And GTY won't always be there to protect her. 

GTYs brother really has no idea that ML is no ordinary woman and what kind of efforts GTY has taken to marry her.

edit

I did not know pissoff is a swear word:lol:

6 hours ago, doubleicon said:

This is why I can't like Qh he is always directly or indirectly causing harm to Minglan. Instead of throwing away the dolls like he should, he kept them. Now his wife has found them and she tried to make trouble for Minglan. Jeez dude. I really wish his role was like that in the books. I have grown very tired of QH.

The most worst characters are those that blame others for their actions... I believe everyone has a past and QH keeping those dolls for memories shouldn’t be his fault why the wife decides to be evil. He treats his wife well yet she can’t even give him that little doll just for keepsake. She should cherish and live for the present. But no she becomes a crazy obsessed jealous person. Unless QH keeps whispering ML name at night or keep thinking of her and what not or staring at ML in front of his wife. She shouldn’t be jealous over those dolls... 

@matrim Did SH really wanted to kill RL for reals? After the double shock of Molan and RL with their lovers. Lol I feel like they all spout stuff like I’m going to kill beat you to death as an exaggeration that they are super pissed but they don’t actually kill them. Lol he said it so many times even Big Madam but they don’t kill it. The only one killed aside from the maids was CL but of course she died because of no medical treatment. 

She is pretty damaged and jaded  plus has significant trust issues from her childhood and having to hide her true nature, feelings, wants  Etc. to survive for 20(?) years.  To be honest GTY and maybe granny are the only not in need of heavy therapy ( and possibly Prozac)in the drama LOL

2 minutes ago, matrim said:

That's why I use "subconsciously". ML felt she loved GTY as you said, but deep down she held something back, as was felt by GTY. She was still guarded somewhat, the proof that she didn't trust GTY 100%.  

Given ML's track record with the others who have tried to win her heart and her feelings towards her own father... the accumulated pain and disappointment has taken a toll on her fragile being. For the first time, she sees things in GTY that she had so desperately wanted to see in the men that were in her life before marriage. Now that "it's" in her hands and staring her right in the face... it's a miracle she hasn't run away already. 

12 minutes ago, dito said:

I haven't watched the episodes but from reading the comments and watching the previews it seems GTYs brother is tired of all the stress and fighting. He knows how the stepmom operates. He can't trust her. 

He also knows GTY most likely doesn't care for the title and only wants it to richard simmons off the step mom. Maybe he thought his wife and daughter may have a better future if he willingly gives up the title and GTY inherits.

And about asking GTY to divorce ML... I'm just guessing but maybe GTYs brother is telling him to divorce ML because otherwise she will face non stop attacks from stepmom all her life. And GTY won't always be there to protect her. 

GTYs brother really has no idea that ML is no ordinary woman and what kind of efforts GTY has taken to marry her.

What episode is this please?

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Protect his wife from what or whom? 

@leeza77  It would be from Evil Big Mdm.. Brothers wife holds the position to name the next marquis not big Mdm, Being tghat her husband holds the currebnt title.. Evil Mdm need both sons dead or big brother past the title over to lil brother..    

4 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

@matrim Did SH really wanted to kill RL for reals? After the double shock of Molan and RL with their lovers. Lol I feel like they all spout stuff like I’m going to kill beat you to death as an exaggeration that they are super pissed but they don’t actually kill them. Lol he said it so many times even Big Madam but they don’t kill it. The only one killed aside from the maids was CL but of course she died because of no medical treatment. 

I think for a moment of madness SH really wanted to kill RL. Otherwise he wouldn't hold the white cloth, it's not just an act to scare RL. He knew very well the serious implication of this, causing GTY, a new elite favored by the emperor to lose face, and to make things worse, slapping the emperor's face indirectly as the proposal was approved by the emperor. This could mean the ruin of whole household, a life and death matter. In the novel SH really attempted to kill RL, and later when ML went to see her, she could spot the red mark on RL's neck.

3 minutes ago, shem1 said:

Given ML's track record with the others who have tried to win her heart and her feelings towards her own father... the accumulated pain and disappointment has taken a toll on her fragile being. For the first time, she sees things in GTY that she had so desperately wanted to see in the men that were in her life before marriage. Now that "it's" in her hands and staring her right in the face... it's a miracle she hasn't run away already. 

What episode is this please?

That`s right.But why can`t she fully trust him.I think she cant compare GTY with her father.they`re totally different!!!.but also in her head she didn`t know any men expect her father so she is like that with GTY.she like that he cares for his children that`s why she said i hoped my father with like you!!

I think that she is afraid that one day GTY will have a concubine and that`s why she can`t fully give her heart and open her heart to him yet.right? she`s afraid of being disappointment and having pain when that day come..right?

2 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@leeza77  It would be from Evil Big Mdm.. Brothers wife holds the position to name the next marquis not big Mdm, Being tghat her husband holds the currebnt title.. Evil Mdm need both sons dead or big brother past the title over to lil brother..    

Spoiler

But why he suggested gty to divorce ml? And how come the wife of the brother has the right to pass the title. The title supposed to go to the closest male descendent upon the death of  the brother, which is gty. 

3 minutes ago, matrim said:

I think for a moment of madness SH really wanted to kill RL. Otherwise he wouldn't hold the white cloth, it's not just an act to scare RL. He knew very well the serious implication of this, causing GTY, a new elite favored by the emperor to lose face, and to make things worse, slapping the emperor's face indirectly as the proposal was approved by the emperor. This could mean the ruin of whole household, a life and death matter. In the novel SH really attempted to kill RL, and later when ML went to see her, she could spot the red mark on RL's neck.

Yes, you’re right. I’ve read too many Chinese manhua and watch historical drama haha to know this is true. It’s a serious matter. They would slay the whole entire Sheng clan for not following emperors orders/edict of marriage. GTY really evil. Lol 

@shem1 I don’t think ML is fragile. 

@danatepe Relax.... ML and GTY just got married. It takes time to build trust. As long as they both not keep anything from each other and have good communication. She will trust him. Even GTY can’t trust anybody. He even told ML the few people he can only trust in the manor. 

Archived