[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

2 minutes ago, hello210 said:

sorry for confusion, I edited the comment with QH & ML so it made more sense in response to QH wanting to save ML from the fire comment.

Spoiler

Yeah i understood your original comment it wouldn't bother me either way if QH help's her or not. If it was not in the book then its a fine added scene as long as its just that scene and no other drama surround's him doing that.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ForgottenSoulx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

About this part what do you mean im confused? whose life would be ruined. It is a little weird but still somewhat cute its hard to explain. 

Spoiler

CB feared that if his granddaughter was not a nice girl, then their marriage might be miserable, thus ruining QH's grandson's life. He had to make sure. After several years observation, he finally agreed.

2 minutes ago, matrim said:
  Hide contents

CB feared that if his granddaughter was not a nice girl, then their marriage might be miserable, thus ruining QH's grandson's life. He had to make sure. After several years observation, he finally agreed.

Spoiler

Ah i see that make's sense i wonder if they add that scene will the young ML play this girls actress? 

11 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Episode 41.

The dynamics between GTY and ML as a married couple had me grinning to the back of my head, I fear my my face would fall off. :D  They are beyond cute and it is refreshing to see ML act a bit spoiled in front of GTY and GTY spoiling his wife. And his laugh when he teases her. 

When ML said that she didn’t mind GTY to have a concubine as long as she is a good person and can live harmoniously, his reaction wasn’t that of disappointment imo. It is the same as when ML told granny that she fears she can’t bare or don’t know how to repay the goodness GTY would give/be for her. I believe GTY holds the same sentiment. 

Episode 42.

That auntie Kang looks like a real richard simmons. Too bad for Big Madam that she will meet her demise because of her elder sister.

Granny wise teaching to ML is basically telling ML to build trust with her husband but not always depend on him. For her to live a happy life she must not put all her happiness and livelihood on a man. And she should hold her authority in the household... Being the kind of woman who is capable of surviving on her own and finding happiness within herself, in turn if the husband was ever in a bad circumstances she would be able to lend a helping hand to her husband and keep the household strong. Rather then fall along with him. Or if the husband and in-laws mistreats her, she would be able to defend herself on her own.

When SH came to lecture ML about showing off she understood well where her father was coming from and didn’t begrudge him. That shows her maturity level. If it were Molan she would be cursing how inconsiderate her father is, since she sooo pissed at her husband and was adamant in showing off how well she is to the Sheng household... She would be crying waah waah father doesn’t love me, father is a bad dad, waah waah and acting like a ungrateful spoiled brat like how she was with her husband throwing tantrum in front of everyone. :joy:

When GTY screamed inside the carriage I laughed and wonder if that was an ad lib as well as when ML forgot to put her shoes on in episode 41. Lol 

Ha ha.. Some of the scene, they did not adhered strictly to the script. Let the conversation and scene flow naturally. Say maybe you are right about the ad lib.. The Director also praise zly that her acting is natural.. Acting that didn't seem like acting. Lines that didn't feel like line but a natural dialogues. 

8 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Hide contents

Ah i see that make's sense i wonder if they add that scene will the young ML play this girls actress? 

Spoiler

And qh as the grandson.. :glasses:

2 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I doubt the drama will add this part as it's the bittersweet ending of QH and a remembrance for first love. It would feel quite strange. I think the drama will end at the point when GTY disclosed the info to ML that he would be sent to guard Sichuan as it ends in the novel, or a bit further, when they arrived at Sichuan, enjoying the beautiful scenery.

1 minute ago, matrim said:
  Hide contents

I doubt the drama will add this part as it's the bittersweet ending of QH and a remembrance for first love. It would feel quite strange. I think the drama will end at the point when GTY disclosed the info to ML that he would be sent to guard Sichuan as it ends in the novel, or a bit further, when they arrived at Sichuan, enjoying the beautiful scenery.

Spoiler

Yeah i want them to end it there with a nice scene of them with their family in a shot.

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

QH was saying he wants to save ML to someone, in one of the trailer? He mentioned something along the line of "when I should have explained, I didn't. When I should have ....(I didn't understand), I also didn't. So can't I save her for once?" 

Which trailer is that?

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

I'm with @ForgottenSoulx and @sava2sava on SH. 

I don't necessarily think he's a bad person. He's probably a good official, and a good "ambassador" of Sheng, taking care of the family honor and all. 

But he was never a good father. 

When ML's mom passed, he didn't do anything. 

We can put that to no evidence. But clearly he would know that it is at those times ML is most vulnerable and needed her dad the most? He was never there..

During the first incident where the girls crashed into the outer courtyard, he chose to punish RL and ML, favouring Molan although ML also spoke and said it was MoLan's fault - favouritism. Unjust. 

During both the incident with MoLan's scandal and Rulan's scandal, he had no issues sacrificing ML. 

He only commented that ML is a good child because she has never given him trouble, and has helped him avoid MoLan's trouble early on. Molan gotaway pretty easy for hurting ML. 

And I'm not sure if that's what ML wanted. You can see there were occasions what she showed disappointment with the dad. 

She even told GTY if only her dad was like him, then perhaps she wouldn't be suffering in silence all these years. 

Had the dad dotes on her, perhaps she didn't need to live as the "flawless" sixth miss of sheng, playing dumb and always in daze. Because if she gets into trouble, the dad would help. But she had to because she knows the dad would not take her side when things go wrong. 

Nice analysis of SH. Judging from the standard at that time, SH was a reasonably good father. Sure, he didn't treat his children equally and fairly, but he provided for them, got them a good education, and made sure they would marry well. In the matter of marriage, he didn't only care about the wealth and status of the families, but the characters of potential son-in-laws and daughter-in-laws. from this one can say he was a responsible father, better than many fathers then.  

50 minutes ago, matrim said:

Which trailer is that?

Trailer no 4. Viki, towards the end. 

He actually said "when I should have explained I didn't. When I should have done something, I didn't. Can I not just save her once?" (If my understanding is right)

3 hours ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

In ep 41, Stepmom is like bipolar or something, calm, them goes nuts when her maid told what her sister-in-laws said about her. Yeah...wonder what makes finally snaps for her to actually try to stab GTZy herself in the trailers. Looking forward to them taking her down. I really can’t stand that voice of hers when she’s being pretentious and “virtuous”. 

Spoiler

She actually even smashed Gu ancestral spiritual tablets in the ancestral hall in theme song trailer.

2 hours ago, matrim said:
  Hide contents

In the epilogue of the novel, QH married one of his grandson to one of CB's granddaughter, who shared some similarities with ML: also concubine born, was sixth among brothers and sisters, and looked like ML when she was a little girl. After she married to QH's grandson, they loved each other and had three sons and a daughter, the latter being QH's favorite great-granddaughter.  When QH finally passed away, he left CB's granddaughter the clay dolls he had sent to ML. And she finally realized why QH had choosed her, a not so elegant girl with inferior status to marry his grandson.

I don’t think it is going to happen in the drama since CB and QH aren’t close like in the book. The drama changed it to GTY and CB being close. In the book, CB and QH only one year apart, not 3-4 yrs like in the drama. 

3 hours ago, BreezeC said:

Hide contents

lol I can actually imagine him in all of the traits you listed and I can imagine him arguing/going against GTY in court just to spike him but the planning/framing him??? If that is the case, he completely lost it because GTY may not be that close to him but he is at less a friend...if not even that, at least a decent human being that never bring you any harm... To me, whatever QH becomes he still represents a gentleman/good guy at heart and if he does put a hand in hurting/framing GTY, than I can't even pity him anymore. I guess to sum up my perspective, sure the screenwriter can go the route of turning QH revengeful like that but I really really hope they didn't because it is just annoying and typical plot device. Oh well, we'll just have to watch and see...at least, it is satisfying to know it is a happy ending for our couple no matter what...

I actually agreed with you that it would be out of character for QH if he becomes revengeful. I have been a little disappointed with the writers for a few scenes discrepancies, dialogues not being in sync with previous scenes and a couple of characters, one being QH. I hope they don’t write his character become illogical. So far from last episode and previews, QH has resolved to assuming his official post and telling his parents to arrange marriage for him if they find it suitable though he wasn’t warm to his new wife and became workaholic. 

Spoiler

As I posted previously, I don’t think he was arresting GTY’s cousins to implicate GTY or to revenge GTY. The cousins sort of contributed Yan Wang’s plan for rebellion. QH actually told GTY’s uncles that he would be doing the same thing for his Qi relatives. Actually, Gu /Ning Yue Hou family is QH’s relatives from his mother’s side. GTY and QH’s mom are third cousins.I think he is just being a little strict as an official. Also, I haven’t seen only two scenes from the trailer, one is QH trying to run to save ML from fire with some people. The other one is with a few older people (his relatives I think). I didn’t see any scene he is trying to attack GTY. Well, we will see!

In MV, I actually saw new emperor sitting in bed being angry and the empress and his son sitting by the bed unadorned. Not sure he was poisoned or somehow attacked that he needs to be treated. Not sure someone else did it and put the blame on GTY (May be empress dowager was culprit?) 

10 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Trailer no 4. Viki, towards the end. 

He actually said "when I should have explained I didn't. When I should have done something, I didn't. Can I not just save her once?" (If my understanding is right)

Oh I see. I guess it's when ML was giving birth to her son and the mansion was set on fire by GTY's stepmother that QH said that. Because he knew GTY wasn't with ML and someone should come to her rescue. 

GTY and ML looks absolutely adorable as a married couple. 

And as much as ML is holding back from him, she's actually opened up a lot more to him than she did to anyone else (granny always in exception list). 

It's cute to see they truly care for each other. :wub:

I also thought it was really apt that they change the ending theme to the one sang by ZLY-FSF on the episode they got married. 

I actually like their version better. :sweatingbullets:

20 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

GTY and ML looks absolutely adorable as a married couple. 

And as much as ML is holding back from him, she's actually opened up a lot more to him than she did to anyone else (granny always in exception list). 

It's cute to see they truly care for each other. :wub:

I also thought it was really apt that they change the ending theme to the one sang by ZLY-FSF on the episode they got married. 

I actually like their version better. :sweatingbullets:

Totally agree with  you on all account. In his recent interview, fsf was asked how do you rate zly's singing. Fsf saud she is better than me.. Ha ha. Such a sugary mouth. 

2 hours ago, m0us3y said:

And I'm not sure if that's what ML wanted. You can see there were occasions what she showed disappointment with the dad. 

She even told GTY if only her dad was like him, then perhaps she wouldn't be suffering in silence all these years. 

Had the dad dotes on her, perhaps she didn't need to live as the "flawless" sixth miss of sheng, playing dumb and always in daze. Because if she gets into trouble, the dad would help. But she had to because she knows the dad would not take her side when things go wrong. 

Yet when GTY said she was aggrieved she quickly denied it. In comparison I’m sure she knows that GTY is more aggrieved.

If ML wanted to she has the capability of being doted on the most by her father. A great example of it is when she was younger before the death of her mother. But then if she continued that path, she would be the torn to the jealous CL. Though SH doted on CL he has no control on her evil nature as she’s been acting the whole time... I really can’t put all the blame on him... 

She lived as the “flawless” “demure” “docile” sixth miss not because she suffers from injustice and mistreatment from her father. (As we’ve seen she is capable of defending herself and speaking up to her father) But because of the promise she made to her mother and the fact that she represents her grandmother for having raised her... But I also believe everyone in their time is pretty much hiding behind a mask and acts accordingly in public. 

During their time, in the household the head of the house is most responsible for being the breadwinner of the family. That in itself is already a big responsibility as who knows how many people accommodate their manor... Raising the kids is the duty of the mothers/(main wife). Yet, they must show filial piety and rely on the father for their livelihood and ensuring their future... Must be nice... heh 

The only time ML really brought trouble on herself by herself was when she played polo match with QH. SH disciplined her, to some it maybe unjustifiable because Molan told on her or that he didn’t listen to her excuses but for me her father did it for her own good. And we already know the outcome of playing that match with QH..

1 hour ago, matrim said:

Nice analysis of SH. Judging from the standard at that time, SH was a reasonably good father. Sure, he didn't treat his children equally and fairly, but he provided for them, got them a good education, and made sure they would marry well. In the matter of marriage, he didn't only care about the wealth and status of the families, but the characters of potential son-in-laws and daughter-in-laws. from this one can say he was a responsible father, better than many fathers then.  

All about Qi Heng and Minglan (2)

Episode 5 - School Events:: Shadow Drawing (EP5:23:40)
In this scene, Qi Heng recites his essay in the class, there are two things little sweet things here:
1)Whenever Qi Heng says “six,” he will purposely enunciate this word, because Minglan is the sixth miss of the family, and he hardly gets any chance to call her, so in his heart, being able to say six out loudly is something sweet to him. (Don’t worry, it won’t sound too awkward because the essay is about one state vs. other six states so it acceptable to stress “six")

2)Minglan traces his shadow when he is standing up reciting his paper. She uses her fingers first and then uses a writing brush drawing his profile on her desk.

It is such a sweet puppy love moment in the story, he loves her with all his heart, and she has a crush on him too but hides it very well.

Episode 5 - School Events:: Scholar Zhuang’s punishment (EP5:24:53)

On the other side of the room, Minglan is bargaining with Scholar Zhuang -- she offers food to Scholar Zhuang and gets one day of extension for her extra assignment — copy “Slat and Iron theory,” a collection of  60 articles.

This is a fascinating scene, Minglan is very sweet, and Qi Heng’s uses every excuse he can find just try to be in the same room with her for a bit longer.

Episode 5 - School Events:: The invite, the gift and the offering(EP5:28:20)
This is one of the crucial scenes in the early episodes.
1)Qi Heng “bumped into” Minglan after school. He talked about Polo match,  Minglan said they've never been to a Polo match before.

2)Qi Heng is quite happy and said he will ask for an invitation letter and send it to the Sheng Family, and then he stopped talking and become tongue-tied for a short while, what he really wants to say is whether Minglan plays to go, but he couldn’t ask for it.

3)And then he recollected his self-confidence and started talking again about the prize of the Polo match. Minglan replies that none of the girls in the Sheng Family knows how to play Polo, and then try to stop the conversation by saying it is too late.

4)I guess this is something Qi Heng has been waiting for,  he raises his eyebrows, and a slightly crafty look comes to his eyes, he deliberately asks why she is so late today and gets the answer he wanted: Minglan is late because Scholar Zhuang gives her extra assignment due to her clumsy handwriting. Qi Heng immediately offers assistance: he is able to mimic her writing and is willing to help her out.

5)Minglan turned down his offering firmly. Qi Heng then started his last strike - bringing out a box of water chestnuts, but Minglan refused to take his gift. Qi Heng smiled and picked up a water chestnut and try to break it for Minglan, the shell of the water chestnut is very hard, so he failed. Xiaotao helped him out, Qi Heng smiled and handed the box of water chestnut and a bag to Minglan and left.

To most of the people, he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, a decent and polite gentleman, the only son and heir of a princess and a duke, the most handsome man in the capital.

But when he is with Minglan, he is just this innocent young boy from the neighborhood, loves Minglan with all his heart opening to her. Completely forget who he is,painstakingly tried all his best, just want to get her to smile back to him.

Zhu Yilong really caught the essence of this role and put on an act, which showed the pure and innocent puppy love of a young aristocrat thoroughly.

11 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

You know what’s scaring me? Most of the fluffy scenes on the trailers are already out :bawling:

I dont want too much angst... 

I noticed but then I doubt we have many light episodes now, we're in for a bumpy road. I less than 30 episodes there are

Spoiler

not in this order Manniang, the fire, the evil stepmom, the death of his son, the poison of granny, the fall of GTY, prison and all.

About QH

Spoiler

I have the same perspective that he could be involved in the fall of GTY. I don't know if he helps the framing or he just gloats, but I doubt the show leaves him out. He is the second lead, he is involved in everything: in the fire accident he tries to help her when GTY isn't there.

I wonder if the fire accident makes qH think ML is not safe with GTY or sparks his interest again because at this point it seems he is trying to move on.

11 hours ago, m0us3y said:

I'm aligned with you on this. 

If there's a fallout in GTY-ML, the root cause of it would be ML's distrust. 

Up to now, while ML opens up to GTY more than she did to anyone before him (except granny), we can see that she holds herself back still. Her thoughts, her feelings. 

A lot of times ML only tell GTY half truth. 

With her marriage, she's worried about his complicated family. But she's also anxious about him. Obviously she only told him about the former. 

Her life to date has been full of let downs, and disappointments. 

SH was a disappointment. He may be a good official, and a good person who protects his family and the family honor, but as a father, he failed, and failed terribly. 

He's unfair, unjust, and uncaring to ML. 

He was never there on the times she needed him most. 

QH was a disappointment. Made multiple promises in multiple occasions, but when things didn't work out, there was no explanation, no reason. Just disappeared and married the princess. 

Dr.He, as good a man he was, couldn't handle it when complications arise. Even when ML explicitly stated that she will not take the couz, he did nothing. 

Lest we forget, the embroidery that her mom left her. Not dependent on her family, not dependent on her husband, she fought and obtain glory by her own means. It was her mom's last message, rely on herself and survive...

It's a feeling I had all these while, that granny didn't only teach her skills to survive and navigate around treacherous waters, but also her moral bearings.

With ML's intelligence, and exposure to the ugly reality so early in her life, it's not hard to her to lose her moral bearings. She is the way she is because granny has nurtured and guide her along all these while..

But sometimes, in matters of the heart and soul, even granny couldn't help...

To her, it's about self protection. 

Don't hope, and there'll be no disappointment. 

Don't wish for happiness, and there'll be no sadness. 

Don't wish for love, and there'll be no hurt. 

Deep down, she's a child, hurt and in pain, with a lonely soul, believing that everything needs to be earned, that happiness is never her's...:tears:

GTY will need to navigate his way into her heart, and open it slowly. And she needs to learn to let him in, and learn to trust him, not to save her life, but to love her, and care for her for the rest of her life. 

Totally agree with your insights.. ML is considered "modern" in her way of thinking compared to the other women in her time.. Her realistic thinking makes a her a  guarded INDIVIDUAL.. I guess many girls in that time prefer to find a husband and rely on their father, husband, wife n etc..

That makes ML characters interesting, and for me she is a strong and can be a true female model in her time.. "MISS INDEPENDENT"

Archived