[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

1 minute ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

she doesnt die at 38 its fake news just ignore ;p

Who was trying to save her? im sure QH would try to save her because he will still love ML until he dies.

Hide contents

I dont think he frames GTY but he can go after GTY's family that is not exactly framing if they have done bad stuff. I hope hes not involved with dowager stuff or looks down on GTY when he's demoted to a solider that some people might think happens due to a trailer clip where QH is with soldiers and shouting at someone that looks like GTY apparently. 

QH was saying he wants to save ML to someone, in one of the trailer? He mentioned something along the line of "when I should have explained, I didn't. When I should have ....(I didn't understand), I also didn't. So can't I save her for once?" 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

It's baseless speculation. 

Hide contents

The ending is they are happy ever after. Gty was sent out of capital and he asked the emperor to bring his family along. The empress helped him convince the emperor to let him do so as gty will not likely rebel with his family be together with. Ml said to gty i'll follow you wherever you go. I don't care of any hardship as long as we are together. 

Spoiler

Thank you!! 

So GTY really lost his title and status? 

But they are probably happier. It doesn't seem to me like either one of them really covet the status and power. 

And it's really nice to know that ML will tell him that. :wub:

In ep 42, i loved the way ml handle those maids brought by 4th, 5th aunt and danniang. She took all details of them make them put the thumbprint on the info. Thus, if they lie to her, tgen she can take severe action vs them (make them not to act rashly as she has the info of all their family members) two birds in one stone. And she actted really brutish vs lai mama who kept on interruoting her.. Assuming her right and power as big madam. 

36 minutes ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Read earlier comments in this thread re QH  marrying his grandchild with ML's grandchild.

If she died at 38yrs old how could this be possible? Or the said marriage happens only after her death??

Spoiler

In the epilogue of the novel, QH married one of his grandson to one of CB's granddaughter, who shared some similarities with ML: also concubine born, was sixth among brothers and sisters, and looked like ML when she was a little girl. After she married to QH's grandson, they loved each other and had three sons and a daughter, the latter being QH's favorite great-granddaughter.  When QH finally passed away, he left CB's granddaughter the clay dolls he had sent to ML. And she finally realized why QH had choosed her, a not so elegant girl with inferior status to marry his grandson.

14 minutes ago, m0us3y said:
  Hide contents

Thank you!! 

But they are probably happier. It doesn't seem to me like either one of them really covet the status and power. 

N

Spoiler

No, he just sent out to other province. Status and wealth are still his. 

14 minutes ago, m0us3y said:
  Hide contents

Thank you!! 

Spoiler

Nah i think they regain it and then that happens at the very end, most likely GTY was sent to defend the border.. not exactly a punishment or anything and is a big task and would take years so he brings ML along with him? that is what i guess. 

3 minutes ago, matrim said:
  Hide contents

In the epilogue of the novel, QH married one of his grandson to one of CB's granddaughter, who shared some similarities with ML: also concubine born, was sixth among brothers and sisters, and looked like ML when she was a little girl. After she married to QH's grandson, they loved each other and had three sons and a daughter, the latter being QH's favorite great-granddaughter.  When QH finally passed away, he left CB's granddaughter the clay dolls he had sent to ML. And she finally realized why QH had choosed her, a not so elegant girl with inferior status to marry his grandson.

Even though that is a little weird its quite nice as well its hard to explain.. 

9 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:
10 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

He is absolutely not perfect. But he is honest and does the best he can as a husband and father. With a big responsibility on his shoulders and a big household, he can’t please everyone. Although he had brought forth the idea of using ML before in two occasions, mind you not his idea he is just a messenger, he has always consulted with granny for the final say. And he has never followed through it if granny disapproves. That is the most important. 

Him not doting on ML is what she wanted anyways otherwise having a granny and a father that dotes on her both. Well, you already know.

Lets agree to disagree i find him weak and pathetic and he never cared about ML at all. I dont think he did the best he could as husband towards big madam where he mistreated her for year's in favour of concubines and he just straight up never cared for ML. I think ML did want a father he was just not a father toward's her so she learnt to deal with it and made the gap bigger. Someone who cares about the reputation over his own children is just not a good man, the fact he brought up ML twice shows it if the grandma agree's then he just gives ML away like shes nothing.

@cherubstomato  SH didn't please no one but his concubine and her children.. SH didn't have a big responsibility only thing he did was sat back and watch how Big Mdm and Granny handle things and agreed to it.. Like I said if it was left up to Molan mom ML would have been sold into slavery and SH wouldn't have said dilly squat about it.. As for him being the messenger if he was any kind of father or man he wouldn't have went to Granny regarding ML.. A real father would have said F you what do you take me for.. (Trying to get two for thev price of one) at this point he was ok with what Molan had done long as she entered that house it didn't matter how after she has given the cow and milk for free. What father cares for his child at another child expense.. With a dad like SH who needs enemies he's the biggest one..

@ForgottenSoulx You are so right he never cared about ML he didn't care about them when her mom was alive..  SH rarely saw ML because she was under Granny care and thats all that matter to him let her deal with the child.. SH couldn't face ML after what happen to her mom.. He never ask question he just went on with life as the dead can't come back to life and being that ML was out of sight she ws also out of his mind..  I think he's the worst father in that history..  Yes he would have handed ML off like was a piece of sht paper in a heartbeat..

He may be getting some backlash from others in court how the concubines daughter married into such a well establish family..

9 hours ago, frenchfan said:

WHo is that woman in the carriage with Minglan?  She looks like a nice person.

Seems like Minglan is facing many challenges what with more women being fobbed into her household.....Poor Minglan, I hope she persevere and stand firm and trust her man (GTY). 

@frenchfan  I think she's handling those old witches very well, They thought she would be a push over but she threw they crap right back in they face when she told them she can't go against her husbands orders.. It was totally rude and wrong of them to try and get her to accept a concubine for him a day after they consummated the marriage.. Big Mdm is really after GTY wealth right along with the rest of the uncles and aunts,, Now that he's married even if he's killed off that money goes to ML and her children.. I just hope to see these rude people gets just what they deserves.

I also I the Big brothers wife better start changing lanes because if Big Brother coughs out Evil Mdm will be looking for more ways then one to get rid of them to take what little he has..

15 minutes ago, m0us3y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Thank you!! 

Spoiler

No he didn't lose his title and power. He was sent to Sichuan (in southwest China) by the emperor to guard the border. He wanted to do this for two reasons, the first was he and ML could broaden their views and see the world more when they were still young; the second was without the complicated etiquette and formalities which they had to endure in the capital, they could enjoy their life more. 

7 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

I just finished seeing episode 41 with subs & I can see how GTY can become insecure. She told him that if in the future he takes in concubines she will live with them in harmony as long as they are good people. You can see the disappointment on his face. In the TV version episode 44 he overheard her telling her maids that she won’t expect any more from him & his facial expression then was the same. I don’t blame ML for saying this & for guarding herself but all of this is going to make him more insecure

The honeymoon episodes are kinda bittersweet. He is so into her, like a puppy bouncing with affection, protection and possessiveness and she is like this passive recepient giving only mild reciprocation. He is so desperate for some real emotion from her - jealousy, possessiveness, spontaneity etc and so joyful to just gets glimpses of it.

They have talked about all issues - financial, career, children but didn't talk about concubines? Given her dissapointment with her father, QH and Dr He, I can totally understand why she is so cynical even if GTY does make promises.

What do you guys think about Grandma's advice? I thought ML was beginning to melt to GTY and then her father and Grandma hardened her again on that trip home. 

3 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

In episode 42, Minglan & her maids ruled

@darkphoenix123  Yes they did. Even the head maid after taking orders from Evil Step mom was brought down to her knees.. ML showed they house maids that she can't have any dummies in the main court yard.. Had her maids taking resumes on all of them to check they family background.. She crack me up when she told them I don't know if you were sent here to helpo me or become one of my ancestors.. 

She was telling those old witches that sending your trollups here won't work here.. 

Maybe she should have send that Hong Girl to Molans husband he likes having a lot of concubines.. 

10 minutes ago, mooose said:

The honeymoon episodes are kinda bittersweet. He is so into her, like a puppy bouncing with affection, protection and possessiveness and she is like this passive recepient giving only mild reciprocation. He is so desperate for some real emotion from her - jealousy, possessiveness, spontaneity etc and so joyful to just gets glimpses of it.

They have talked about all issues - financial, career, children but didn't talk about concubines? Given her dissapointment with her father, QH and Dr He, I can totally understand why she is so cynical even if GTY does make promises.

What do you guys think about Grandma's advice? I thought ML was beginning to melt to GTY and then her father and Grandma hardened her again on that trip home. 

Spoiler

Grandma's advise us based on her experience and she didn't know the real gty (he might be the one and only male in bianjing refused to take concubine and love to petting his wife). Thus, it was appropriate. Ml can take the advise, judge the husband base on her real experience with him. They were married for 3 days at that time.. It's reasonable for her to be cautious and careful in her dealing with gty. 

I'm with @ForgottenSoulx and @sava2sava on SH. 

I don't necessarily think he's a bad person. He's probably a good official, and a good "ambassador" of Sheng, taking care of the family honor and all. 

But he was never a good father. 

When ML's mom passed, he didn't do anything. 

We can put that to no evidence. But clearly he would know that it is at those times ML is most vulnerable and needed her dad the most? He was never there..

During the first incident where the girls crashed into the outer courtyard, he chose to punish RL and ML, favouring Molan although ML also spoke and said it was MoLan's fault - favouritism. Unjust. 

During both the incident with MoLan's scandal and Rulan's scandal, he had no issues sacrificing ML. 

He only commented that ML is a good child because she has never given him trouble, and has helped him avoid MoLan's trouble early on. Molan gotaway pretty easy for hurting ML. 

And I'm not sure if that's what ML wanted. You can see there were occasions what she showed disappointment with the dad. 

She even told GTY if only her dad was like him, then perhaps she wouldn't be suffering in silence all these years. 

Had the dad dotes on her, perhaps she didn't need to live as the "flawless" sixth miss of sheng, playing dumb and always in daze. Because if she gets into trouble, the dad would help. But she had to because she knows the dad would not take her side when things go wrong. 

Omg that fish scene was so damn cute either they go eat or GTY has some fun with ML so she decides to go eat fish instead. I love how she handled the servants sent by the others such a clever way to deal with them, if they make one mistake they are basically gone. 

Also i love that ML has like two trusted maids by her side who are both bad richard simmons especially the elder one doing all the talking today.

25 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@darkphoenix123  Yes they did. Even the head maid after taking orders from Evil Step mom was brought down to her knees.. ML showed they house maids that she can't have any dummies in the main court yard.. Had her maids taking resumes on all of them to check they family background.. She crack me up when she told them I don't know if you were sent here to helpo me or become one of my ancestors.. 

She was telling those old witches that sending your trollups here won't work here.. 

Maybe she should have send that Hong Girl to Molans husband he likes having a lot of concubines.. 

For some reason even though Molan's husband is a guy who just sleep's with anyone i still somewhat like him lmfao.

26 minutes ago, mooose said:

I thought what the grandma and SH both said did make some sense , first time i agreed with SH somewhat i do think that they were a bit to grand and showy and was not really needed. The grandma also knows from experience and knowledge and did not know GTY's true character so i think what she said was wise. 

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

QH was saying he wants to save ML to someone, in one of the trailer? He mentioned something along the line of "when I should have explained, I didn't. When I should have ....(I didn't understand), I also didn't. So can't I save her for once?" 

Spoiler

If that’s the case, I hope it brings some closure for QH. Because I think that fire is set when ML’s vulnerable after giving birth. I don’t know if QH was there for that part in the novel unless the spoilers just left him out. 

38 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Reveal hidden contents

Nah i think they regain it and then that happens at the very end, most likely GTY was sent to defend the border.. not exactly a punishment or anything and is a big task and would take years so he brings ML along with him? that is what i guess. 

Even though that is a little weird its quite nice as well its hard to explain.. 

Spoiler

The marriage surprised many people in CB's household. Only a few, QH, CB and CB's wife knew what it was all about. When QH saw the little girl for the first time, he decided to marry her to his grandson, but CB didn't agree then for fear of ruining the life of old friend's descendant. Only when he made sure the girl was of simple and kind nature did he say yes to the marriage. 

3 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

SH is selfish to a point. He of course acts for the family's benefit, but he also did things that would harm the family's reputation on his own interest. For example he favored Lin and let her take control, overpowering Daniang, which is a very disgrace thing in a family with status. Reason was he felt threatened by Daniang, who was from a higher status than himself, and she was stubborn and did not know how to pamper him.

Just wondering if it revealed why he let Lin take over the household initially? 

I agree SH is a deliciously flawed man of his time. To let Lin take over the house and give her properties so she can have some independent wealth was not without reason. My guess is he was worried if anything happened to him and Da Niang wanted to separate, his shu son would be heavily disadvantaged.  He knew this from experience where he would have got little to nothing in the separation if Grandma hadn't adopted him and fought for his share.

5 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If that’s the case, I hope it brings some closer for him. Because I think that fire is set when she’s vulnerable after giving birth. 

Spoiler

Sh maybe right it was showy but he could have said it more delicately abd nit harshly. Beside, he sh have told that to general gu, and not to ml

10 minutes ago, matrim said:
  Hide contents

The marriage surprised many people in CB's household. Only a few, QH, CB and CB's wife knew what it was all about. When QH saw the little girl for the first time, he decided to marry her to his grandson, but CB didn't agree then for fear of ruining the life of old friend's descendant. Only when he made sure the girl was of simple and kind nature did he say yes to the marriage. 

Spoiler

About this part what do you mean im confused? whose life would be ruined. It is a little weird but still somewhat cute its hard to explain. It would be hard for me to see CB thinking that way at-least the show version of CB. I wont mind if they cut all this out though. 

Episode 41.

The dynamics between GTY and ML as a married couple had me grinning to the back of my head, I fear my my face would fall off. :D  They are beyond cute and it is refreshing to see ML act a bit spoiled in front of GTY and GTY spoiling his wife. And his laugh when he teases her. 

When ML said that she didn’t mind GTY to have a concubine as long as she is a good person and can live harmoniously, his reaction wasn’t that of disappointment imo. It is the same as when ML told granny that she fears she can’t bare or don’t know how to repay the goodness GTY would give/be for her. I believe GTY holds the same sentiment. 

Episode 42.

That auntie Kang looks like a real richard simmons. Too bad for Big Madam that she will meet her demise because of her elder sister.

Granny wise teaching to ML is basically telling ML to build trust with her husband but not always depend on him. For her to live a happy life she must not put all her happiness and livelihood on a man. And she should hold her authority in the household... Being the kind of woman who is capable of surviving on her own and finding happiness within herself, in turn if the husband was ever in a bad circumstances she would be able to lend a helping hand to her husband and keep the household strong. Rather then fall along with him. Or if the husband and in-laws mistreats her, she would be able to defend herself on her own.

When SH came to lecture ML about showing off she understood well where her father was coming from and didn’t begrudge him. That shows her maturity level. If it were Molan she would be cursing how inconsiderate her father is, since she sooo pissed at her husband and was adamant in showing off how well she is to the Sheng household... She would be crying waah waah father doesn’t love me, father is a bad dad, waah waah and acting like a ungrateful spoiled brat like how she was with her husband throwing tantrum in front of everyone. :joy:

When GTY screamed inside the carriage I laughed and wonder if that was an ad lib as well as when ML forgot to put her shoes on in episode 41. Lol 

Just now, ForgottenSoulx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

About this part what do you mean im confused? whose life would be ruined. It is a little weird but still somewhat cute its hard to explain. 

9 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If that’s the case, I hope it brings some closure for QH. Because I think that fire is set when ML’s vulnerable after giving birth. I don’t know if QH was there for that part in the novel unless the spoilers just left him out. 

sorry for confusion, I edited the comment with QH & ML so it made more sense in response to QH wanting to save ML from the fire comment.

Archived