[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

3 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

Thank you! I thought nobody would agree with me. Looking from a modern POV SH was a horrible father but based on the context he was not that bad. He played favorites but he actually never tried to harm nor use ML. Tbh, ML's personality is not the type that evokes a man's pity, unlike Molan. ML is just a shu daughter without a mother to speak for her so she basically didn't appear in his eyes much.. 

SH is selfish to a point. He of course acts for the family's benefit, but he also did things that would harm the family's reputation on his own interest. For example he favored Lin and let her take control, overpowering Daniang, which is a very disgrace thing in a family with status. Reason was he felt threatened by Daniang, who was from a higher status than himself, and she was stubborn and did not know how to pamper him.

But in arranging marriage for his children he was quite a good father. First he didn't try to use any of his children's marriages for money or power (many men did that in the story). Second he didn't leave it for Daniang but took it to his own hands. He tried to choose the best spouses for their own interest. For example Hualan, CB, CF were good matches (all decided by him). Although Molan wanted to marry off to status, he was rational and picked a scholar for her (which was suitable for her position, but later went to Rulan). The thing with Molan, Rulan and ML was out of his control, but he handled it the best he could. In the end all of his children were happy (except for Molan but she got what she wanted).

I think ML doesn't hate him bc ML never targeted him. ML's main target earlier were Linniang and Molan and he just got involved in and was used by ML. After that she got nothing to do with him anymore. Even in the poison case she only pressures him to seek justice for Granny bc he doesn't want to make a big deal, when she get want she wants she doesn't touch him at all. If we look at him as a villain then he is a villain with the happiest ending ever. He end up in a high position, all of his children are successful, Sheng family rises in status, what more can there be? So I guess he is not considered a bad guy.

:thumbsup:

Yes, I’ve mentioned before that I don’t think SH is a bad person. In the beginning of the show I thought he was a cruel greedy father but as the show progressed I’ve concluded he is not a terrible person... Even in a modern POV I still think he is not a bad father. What he lacks and people asking too much of him is having emotional support for his kids. But he doesn’t really need to exhaust himself that much as his kids already have emotional support from their mothers and ML with granny. I believe he is more active in showing emotional support towards his sons, as he sees them as his legacy. Although I say that ML and RL rarely seeks their father for emotional support. If they do seek him out he will listen to a point but it doesn’t mean that he would cater to everyone of their wishes. The biggiest spoiled brat who would not understand that and will expect too much is Molan who tried to seek/steal all the love and attention from her dad. If things don’t go her way, if she’s punished she would cry woe is me, di di don’t love me anymore, di di is going to abandon us....

But I agree to you that SH was selfish to a point. He did favor and was more lenient towards CL then the main wife, up until momo Kang opened his eyes that his favoritism over the concubine can cause discord and even the fall of a household. If he felt no shame, felt no guilt, and didn’t want to take momo Kang’s wise teaching than he is really a selfish and narcissistic person. 

He did foolishly lavished CL and was easily manipulated at the start but only to a point as long as it didn’t disregard his moral values and firm ruling... And one of the things he values is his children. He may be harsh in disciplining and may have shown a moments of favoritism but I think his treatment towards his kids is far better than GTYs father and that he is much more forgiving... That is why CL would never dare speak badly about the other kids like Big Madam does because she knows showing hostility towards the other kids and pitying only her own child more will not work on SH. That is why she can only use her little tricks of seduction and pity to gain most of SH attention for her and her kids. Big Madam is true to her character and can’t do it. So Big Madam in SH eyes easily casted as being selfish only caring about her own biological child. And that is an advantage CL used against Big Madam in currying favor for her kids. 

Although people say SH may not care for ML. It is ML whom he sees as the most filial and trust her words more than RL and Molan when it came to their sibling dispute. I can sense that he does pity her but choose not to show it. He always reiterate, my good child ML. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Meli Cahyadi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I have read the ending spoiler on weibo. ML passed away at age 38. Can you believe that ? :bawling:

No,no, that's not true. I have read the novel. The ending is ML and GTY  leave the capital and go to Chengdu to guard the countries' frontier , with their two little sons. Chengdu is a good place named as 'land of abundance' in Chinese history.

1 hour ago, shem1 said:

I am not familiar with weibo...but how accurate is the summary there??? I followed your link and found in sooooo sadddd that it makes me not want to watch the remaining episodes!

The summary there is not from the drama. It's not even From the book.. The actors confirmed that it's a happy ending drama.. So don't worry and enjoy the rest of the drama 

14 hours ago, matrim said:

In the preview, ML said "My husband has been framed." From this I guess it's a scheme involving his family (mostly his stepmother) and his political enemies or those seeking the throne. I doubt his family alone would have enough resources to bring him down. In the novel there was a second rebellion. Perhaps the throne seeking party reasoned by removing GTY, a right-hand man of the emperor, they could undermine the emperor's position, thus increasing their chance of success. And their desire coincided with that of Gu family.   

so you mean.they`ll frame GTY and remove him from his position as a right-hand man of the emperor,well.if that happened.I hate that.they always try and frame him and making everything difficult for him.but from some trailers.I guess GTY will make his revenge.isn`t it?

.So does that explain this scene in this trailer when he walks with normal soldiers to war. or is it another thing?

GTY’s first clash with royals coming up soon?

Spoiler

From previews posted on weibo, there is a few scenes where empress dowager was really upset while talking with her eunuch. She was tricked into giving up the imperial seal by GTY. The details wasn’t mentioned in the clip but she said the method was supposedly hideous and no one around new emperor and Hen Wang (the son GTY is close to), other than GTY, could have done it. GTY confessed to ML that he was the one who planned the way so that empress dowager would be forced to give up the imperial seal. So, I wonder dowager  (Da Niang Niang) would do something to frame GTY?

I don’t think this event was in the book but in history, dowager Cao was regent for over a year as emperor Yingzhong got severely ill after he was enthroned. She refused to give up her regency after emperor recovered and she was forced to give it up by chancellor He by removing the screen she sat behind in the throne room. The drama has been showing empress dowager sitting in behind the curtain during state discussions. Remember, in the drama, current emperor was not a designated heir till rebellion. So, he is basically not trained to govern the country and it makes sense that dowager is helping him but she ought to let him rule by himself after certain period as he is not a child. 

10 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

R u talking about qh? Qh attitude are childish. He felt he has been dealt by fate unjustly and he threw a tantrum. Instead of analyzing what he has done wrong, he put the blame on other person. 

Spoiler

I have this feeling that they’re going to use the Qi connection to the Dowager Empress to get to GTY.  Unlike the old Emperor and current royals, she doesn’t hold GTY in high regard. 

There is a part in one of the trailers where QH has soldiers with him and he was yelling at someone the looked like GTY from the back. That scene he seems to have the same attitude as in these new teasers.

And did the Dowager try to give maids to them or something?

2 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

I have this feeling that they’re going to use the Qi connection to the Dowager Empress to get to GTY.  Unlike the old Emperor and current royals, she doesn’t hold GTY in high regard. 

Spoiler

Yes, the Dowager triedto give the palace servants but ml has out witted the Dowager. 

13 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Hide contents

From previews posted on weibo, there is a few scenes where empress dowager was really upset. She was tricked into giving up the imperial seal by GTY. The details wasn’t mentioned in the clip but the method was supposedly hideous and no one around new emperor and Hen Wang (the son GTY is close to) other than GTY could have done it. GTY confessed to ML that he was the one who planned the way so that empress dowager would be forced to give up the imperial seal. So, I wonder dowager  (Da Niang Niang) would do something to frame GTY?

I don’t think this event was in the book but in history, dowager Cao was regent for over a year as emperor Yingzhong got severely ill after he was enthroned. She refused to give up her regency after emperor recovered and she was forced to give it up by chancellor He by removing the screen she sat behind in the throne room. The drama has been showing empress dowager sitting in behind the curtain during state discussions. Remember, in the drama, current emperor was not a designated heir till rebellion. So, he is basically not trained to govern the country and it makes sense that dowager is helping him but she ought to let him rule by himself after certain period as he is not a child. 

Spoiler

I can see something like that happening if the Dowager won’t give up power.  I can also see this leading to a faction and another hostility crisis. I need to catch up on today’s episodes.

33 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Hide contents

From previews posted on weibo, there is a few scenes where empress dowager was really upset while talking with her eunuch. She was tricked into giving up the imperial seal by GTY. The details wasn’t mentioned in the clip but she said the method was supposedly hideous and no one around new emperor and Hen Wang (the son GTY is close to), other than GTY, could have done it. GTY confessed to ML that he was the one who planned the way so that empress dowager would be forced to give up the imperial seal. So, I wonder dowager  (Da Niang Niang) would do something to frame GTY?

Spoiler

I think this is what happens the dowager will make something up i bet and force his hand because GTY has huge respect from emperors son and general's,military and even the emperor i wonder what he done to get such punishment as demoted to normal solider...

27 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

There is a part in one of the trailers where QH has soldiers with him and he was yelling at someone the looked like GTY from the back. That scene he seems to have the same attitude as in these new teasers.

Spoiler

The dowager should hold GTY in high regards considering he saved her and the emperor.. If QH is really doing that i rage i hope that clip is edited badly.. 

2 hours ago, BreezeC said:

I mean you can argue that his unfair treatment or bad experience caused him to turn vengeful but it will be soo out of character. To me, that does not make sense. Even at breaking point from all the pressure, he rather kill himself. I prefer to see his character finally maturing, sad but it is reality for the naive boy he once was, and stay away from our main couple until at the end for some closure that ML is living happy. That will be an ideal storyline for him and don't want to see him interfering in our main couple anymore. I want to remember their bittersweet ending of their first love and not a persisting guy who keep interfering and causing trouble. Hope this is not true :(  

Ill disagree with the out of character bit this is a character we have seen is quite unstable,stubborn,emotional yet its out of character if he turns vengeful? 

22 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Yes, the Dowager triedto give the palace servants but ml has out witted the Dowager. 

21 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

I can see something like that happening if the Dowager won’t give up power.  I can also see this leading to a faction and another hostility crisis. I need to catch up on today’s episodes.

Spoiler

Looks like its the dowager trying to scheme something but its gotta be big for emperor,son,general etc.. to basically turn away from him. 

The fact GTY got caught is sloppy on his part why did he get involved.. 

I wonder when he will be demoted to a solider and when the poison stuff will happen.. 

26 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think this is what happens the dowager will make something up i bet and force his hand because GTY has huge respect from emperors son and general's,military and even the emperor i wonder what he done to get such punishment as demoted to normal solider...

Reveal hidden contents

The dowager should hold GTY in high regards considering he saved her and the emperor.. If QH is really doing that i rage i hope that clip is edited badly.. 

Ill disagree with the out of character bit this is a character we have seen is quite unstable,stubborn,emotional yet its out of character if he turns vengeful? 

Hide contents

Looks like its the dowager trying to scheme something but its gotta be big for emperor,son,general etc.. to basically turn away from him. 

The fact GTY got caught is sloppy on his part why did he get involved.. 

I wonder when he will be demoted to a solider and when the poison stuff will happen.. 

Spoiler

Well, he might if he felt betrayed by gty who supposed to be his friend but instead gty swept his dream girl out under his feet. This inference was based on a short clip. It might no be so....hopefully 

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

I don't think that is the ending. Maybe some anti fans tries to sabotage the drama. 

Read earlier comments in this thread re QH  marrying his grandchild with ML's grandchild.

If she died at 38yrs old how could this be possible? Or the said marriage happens only after her death??

In her life, everything has a price. 

GTY is treating her so well, not asking for anything in return.

In his view, her acceptance of him and his children and her foresight is the best thing she gave him. 

In her view, she hasn't earned it. 

And it makes her anxious. Whatever that is not earned, is never her's to begin with. 

She probably felt like she's on borrowed happiness. Fleeting, and it will go away...

2 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Well, he might if he felt betrayed by gty who supposed to be his friend but instead gty swept his dream girl out under his feet. 

But I thought in the trailer, he was actually trying to save her when he saw GTY/ML Manor getting burned down?....

I believe the Empress Dowager is offering her palace maids as concubines to Ming Lan and Lady Shen.

It would seemed Qi Heng has "moved on" as he asked his mother to arrange his marriage if there is any prospective brides.

He should take responsible of his own decision as for Ming Lan there is no looking back.

4 minutes ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Read earlier comments in this thread re QH  marrying his grandchild with ML's grandchild.

If she died at 38yrs old how could this be possible? Or the said marriage happens only after her death??

Technically possible because she has given birth to 4 children...but I think another chingu said it's fake? That they actually get a happy ending. So I'm happy. :)

4 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

In his view, her acceptance of him and his children and her foresight is the best thing she gave him. 

And it makes her anxious. Whatever that is not earned, is never her's to begin with. 

She probably felt like she's on borrowed happiness. Fleeting, and it will go away...

But I thought in the trailer, he was actually trying to save her when he saw GTY/ML Manor getting burned down?....

Spoiler

My edited version i said that it's only inference based on a short clip.. Maybe it's not.. hopefully. But if it's not impossible 

26 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Spoiler

lol I can actually imagine him in all of the traits you listed and I can imagine him arguing/going against GTY in court just to spike him but the planning/framing him??? If that is the case, he completely lost it because GTY may not be that close to him but he is at less a friend...if not even that, at least a decent human being that never bring you any harm... To me, whatever QH becomes he still represents a gentleman/good guy at heart and if he does put a hand in hurting/framing GTY, than I can't even pity him anymore. I guess to sum up my perspective, sure the screenwriter can go the route of turning QH revengeful like that but I really really hope they didn't because it is just annoying and typical plot device. Oh well, we'll just have to watch and see...at least, it is satisfying to know it is a happy ending for our couple no matter what...

17 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Technically possible because she has given birth to 4 children...but I think another chingu said it's fake? That they actually get a happy ending. So I'm happy. :)

It's baseless speculation. 

Spoiler

The ending is they are happy ever after. Gty was sent out of capital and he asked the emperor to bring his family along. The empress helped him convince the emperor to let him do so as gty will not likely rebel with his family be together with. Ml said to gty i'll follow you wherever you go. I don't care of any hardship as long as we are together. 

Spoiler

In ep 41, Stepmom is like bipolar or something, calm, them goes nuts when her maid told what her sister-in-laws said about her. Yeah...wonder what makes finally snaps for her to actually try to stab GTZy herself in the trailers. Looking forward to them taking her down. I really can’t stand that voice of hers when she’s being pretentious and “virtuous”. 

42 minutes ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

she doesnt die at 38 its fake news just ignore ;p

42 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Who was trying to save her? im sure QH would try to save her because he will still love ML until he dies.

27 minutes ago, BreezeC said:

Hide contents

lol I can actually imagine him in all of the traits you listed and I can imagine him arguing/going against GTY in court just to spike him but the planning/framing him??? If that is the case, he completely lost it because GTY may not be that close to him but he is at less a friend...if not even that, at least a decent human being that never bring you any harm... To me, whatever QH becomes he still represents a gentleman/good guy at heart and if he does put a hand in hurting/framing GTY, than I can't even pity him anymore. I guess to sum up my perspective, sure the screenwriter can go the route of turning QH revengeful like that but I really really hope they didn't because it is just annoying and typical plot device. Oh well, we'll just have to watch and see...at least, it is satisfying to know it is a happy ending for our couple no matter what...

Spoiler

I dont think he frames GTY but he can go after GTY's family that is not exactly framing if they have done bad stuff. I hope hes not involved with dowager stuff or looks down on GTY when he's demoted to a solider. That's what some people think might happen due to a trailer clip where QH is with soldiers and shouting at someone that looks like GTY apparently. 

Archived