[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

Well, even though she was 8 at the time, she still remembered how her mum bled to death with her baby brother too big to come and no help around as they stopped everyone from going out to get doctor for the birth. The midwife was drunk (the kitche staff purposedly made her drink until she was too drunk to be of any use), the person sent for hot water never came.....she suffered and she remembered.  Even at that time she knew full well that they were the least favoured but stil Linniang begrudged them.  They had no coals for the winter, not enough food, no allowances......and no one knew because the witch knew how to manipulate.  So yes, ML did orchestrated Linniang's downfall but you could see that she did not showed her hands.  She showed the painting and instead of sprouting vengeance, she just sat there and it unnerved Linniang more because of it.  I must say that she did it all with "style" and "class".   

I agree with you @frenchfan, she did it with class. She sat there and watch CL act out like she usually does. What I find funny is that, she was like what are your evil plans for Mo’er??? She simply forgotten and felt no remorse for what she did in the past.  If Mo’er was even nice to her, Ming Lan would have not trapped Mo’er too. Like Ming Lan said, if Mo’er did not become jealous and start harassing her over who the Countess wanted as a daughter in law, all this could have been prevented. Ming Lan is smart and she who the Liang madame liked in the first place. Another funny thing is that Concubine Lin actually believed that Sheng Hong would take her back. She believed her control on Sheng Hong was still in tact. I am so glad she finally realized he was never coming back to rescue . She actually forgot that she finally revealed her true colors to a blind man. 

@Lunkera Why do you want him to lose his position in the end?

18 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Yeah, there could be so many different meanings behind what grandma said about children’s debt. I took it to mean clearing the filial debt. People have children for family honor and continuation of family line, it is something owed to parents and ancestors, so I saw it as fixing the problems created by Milan, Liniang, and Sheng Hong to keep it from hindering the other two sisters’ chances.

I think we are saying the same thing in different ways. Fixing the problem :)

10 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Episode 33: my fave scene was the conversation between Granny and ML when ML confessed that she planned everything, it gave me the chills and as well as made me cry. The actress playing the character of granny, forgive me I don't know her name, but she is masterful. Her intonation, her pitch and expressions are on point. I love her. 

I agree that scene made me cry as well the granny is so amazing.

10 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

"he loved her more than GTY as he couldn't even sleep at nights from missing her," it is not logical for me.

Are we sure he 100% say's this? or did he say i cant sleep at night due to missing you.

10 hours ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

Anyone know ahead what ML’s dowry was? So the things that GTY brought as betroth gifts...they stay with the Sheng family? Not knowledgeable about Chinese weddings. 

Most likely not alot unless the stuff GTY sent got returned to ML as her dowry which the grandma should have been able to do.

9 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

I'm not sure it was mentioned in the book. Her dowry could have been less than Rulan and Hulan though even if grandma gave her some since her biological mom doesn't have any left for her except that one silver bangle. 

Reveal hidden contents

Rulan's dowry was mentioned. Wang Shi bought a big house for her and SH said that she could have bought a smaller one. The smaller house could have prevented Rulan's mom-in-law from smaller city living with them as Rulan has an excuse to say the place is very small.

Someone posted about GTY's gifts a few pages ago. Traditionally, for rich and honorable families like Sheng, they would give most of betrothal gifts (jewelries, properties, cloth and artifacts) back to ML as part of her dowry. They would probably keep the food. For poor family, they would have kept all the gifts as they're considered bride price. That's why I mentioned before that shu daughters will be first to be sold off as concubines for money by family if they're having difficulties i.e without giving them any dowry as well (may be just a few pieces of jewelry). ML's mom was bought by Daniang WS for money from her merchant family since the father was really sick even though she was di daughter and her father was educated.  

I think this makes sense and grandma should have been able to do that. 

9 hours ago, hello210 said:

@Golden Flower I agree. I don’t mind that he will love ML forever in the novel since he was honorable, kept it to himself and moved on with career and family. But if the drama goes and has him tell ML that he loves her more than GTY and misses her after she gets married, that just turned him into the typical second lead who’s love went beyond the boundaries. Someone else mentioned QH being part of a faction against GTY & the new Emperor, so i’m hoping that’s not true and it doesn’t get turned into the “unobtainable love turned second lead short term vengeful” cliche. 

I agree i dont want QH going down this route but ill have to wait and see what actually happens then but people would complain if he was cut out of the show and complain if scene's are added. I trust the writers to make him a good character.

9 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

I hope he doesn’t turn into an obsessive vengeful ex-lover guy either. As much as I think he is not right for ML I wanted him to grow from his obstacles and become someone better as a person. After reading the spoilers I gave up the hope that he will move & love his second wife but I really don’t want him to turn into a bad guy. That’s not progression but regression!

He will never love another female again that was obvious i think he will never move on from his love for ML.

6 hours ago, dito said:

edit

In the book it was actually Hualan who brought GTY's proposal to her family. GTY was a good friend of her husband. When RL's mess came out and GTY suggested ML, Hualan was a bit sad for her sister but then realized that actually ML was a better match for GTY. So she totally approved and even convinced her mother. It was also Hualan who invited ML to her house so that GTY can speak with ML alone.

I think thats why ML and Hualan became more close after ML's marriage to GTY.

Is this the same for the show because i really want more of Hualan.

5 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

I'm going to mention about script inconsistencies between scenes for those asked me and please skip if you aren't interested or if you haven't watched epi 32 forward....

Hide contents

Although these are minor details, I just couldn't help but noticed and rolled my eyes.  Without even comparing to NIF 1/2, I do not remember feeling this way about script in Battle of Changsha or Imperial Doctress which are less well-known. I think this drama lost track of time (years) and events by changing the order of events from the book as well as adding many unnecessary events/ scenes.  

(1) In TV epi 36, after rebellion, GTY helped CB and SH got into the carriage to leave palace and he apologized CB for not mentioning ML's effort in saving the old emperor as he was worried about her reputation and thus his action prevented Sheng family from getting huge merit. CB said he understood as it was just an accidental meeting with the original palace maid that ML was involved. GTY then told CB to remind ML not to tell anyone including the grandma that she came inside the palace. I was like huh? Her grandma and family knew she came to palace to deliver fish soup and probably thought she got stuck there and her dad knows she escaped from dog hole. The lines should have been not to tell anyone about her involvement in pacifying rebellion including grandma or just exclude grandma. Also, the whole setup about ML being able to get into the palace building where they're working is a bit forced. It is possible to send food and drink by family for officials who have been staying inside the palace but her being able to get inside their workplace is unheard of. Nobody can come inside the front or back palace unless summoned or front palace unless you are an official. There is a building by the gate where family member of officials or palace maids and eunuchs can meet them while they're working inside. Also, ML waiting until late night outside citygate and going home by herself in eunuch clothes won't create any problem? Grandma and her sister-in-law won't be worried when she doesn't come home and her dad won't wonder when he finds out ML came home very late?  The writers are making these scenes to make another OTP moment and trying to involve ML in everything but I felt that it is a bit cliche especially since her effort was not mentioned to old emperor. (Not sure new emperor will give her noble woman title for this effort later). Instead of making drama too long, I rather they do not include these scenes that aren't too logical. 

(2) Lin Yiniang begged SH to forgive Molan as CF has been studying for half a year and his imperial palace exam retake is going to be soon (it has been at least a year and a half since they took the exam. HL who wasn't pregnant during their first exam has a half a year old son during Molan's scandal) and it won't be appropriate for him if his sister is beaten to death. SH also said that he only punished Molan to kneel due to CF taking exam soon basically in half a year. Then, in today's preview, QH mentioned that he can take imperial palace exam again in Spring (very soon) and no longer needs to wait another year because new emperor decided to hold additional exam (A few emperors in Song Dynasty do this looking for new talents). LYN and SH did not know there will be exam in half a year when Molan's scandal broke out. The imperial exam including provincial ones are held once every 3 years and there are three levels (provincial, national and palace). I let it go when LYN and SH mentioned about CF retaking exam in half a year thinking writers are making to have exam every year. Then, they went and have this scene of QH reading new emperor's announcement and telling his parents about this additional exam. It has been almost 2 years they took the exam last time. QH's scenes made sense but earlier scene doesn't. 

Even though i normally hate and get annoyed at what you say i actually agree with all of this apart from this bit in red, i think maybe it was badly translated or badly worded but pretty sure thats what GTY meant.

5 hours ago, fra8 said:

Imo, she doesn't have romantic feelings at the moment. She likes him, respects him and she feels safe with him. She also puts him in the list with her mother and granny. So there is a strong foundation for love. I guess they might keep her feelings under wraps before their fight.  We will just guess she loves him.

Howere I can see her feeling a bit disappointed he wanted to marry rulan. Anyway she might have thought he wanted a di wife as he said. After the qh débâcle, I don't see her thinking about love or hoping for love, just trying to protect herself from disappointment.

But I am sure she is happy to marry him. It's a good wedding with a person she likes, even if she doesnt love or doesn't  realize she love. Since it's going to be a different kind of love from the one she felt for QH, she might be uncertain for a while.

I agree i think she will be slow to open up to him due to what happened with QH he will doubt her love but she will admit it and then we all cry.

5 hours ago, artbox said:

The story has been exciting so far though now I feel like they might really ruin QH’s character growth haha. I hoped it would end in a failed first love and everyone moves on

what I’m most excited for is Molan’s marriage life hahaha. I want to see her get her comeuppance.

Lets wait and see i trust the writers.

29 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

@leeza77 Thanks for that clip. Older actress for Rong'er. Didn't understand anything but ML and Rong'er get along really well. GTY and ML is adorable. Felt sad for grandma.

@UnniSarah Beceause he deserves it the way he has treated ML

Totally agree he does deserve to lose his position , also i agree poor Grandma is going to be so lonely i wish ML would just get Grandma to move in with her. 

19 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

39th-40th..i've been admiring you for a long time:D

Only with GTY can she show her true self and let out her emotions like this and i love it. 

Monday 2019-01-14

1 The Story of Ming Lan 316 million views.

Should get over 2 billion views this week i think. 

42 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

I am so happy but I feel so sad seeing Grandma. Poor grandma will be alone in the house except for CB & his wife. Was Sheng Hong crying? He was shown wiping his face with his sleeves when grandma was crying...

When they were bowing in GTY house what were the guests saying?

5 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I agree that scene made me cry as well the granny is so amazing.

Are we sure he 100% say's this? or did he say i cant sleep at night due to missing you.

Most likely not alot unless the stuff GTY sent got returned to ML as her dowry which the grandma should have been able to do.

I think this makes sense and grandma should have been able to do that. 

I agree i dont want QH going down this route but ill have to wait and see what actually happens then but people would complain if he was cut out of the show and complain if scene's are added. I trust the writers to make him a good character.

He will never love another female again that was obvious i think he will never move on from his love for ML.

Is this the same for the show because i really want more of Hualan.

Even though i normally hate and get annoyed at what you say i actually agree with all of this apart from this bit in red, i think maybe it was badly translated or badly worded but pretty sure thats what GTY meant.

I agree i think she will be slow to open up to him due to what happened with QH he will doubt her love but she will admit it and then we all cry.

Lets wait and see i trust the writers.

Totally agree he does deserve to lose his position , also i agree poor Grandma is going to be so lonely i wish ML would just get Grandma to move in with her. 

Only with GTY can she show her true self and let out her emotions like this and i love it. 

Monday 2019-01-14

1 The Story of Ming Lan 316 million views.

Should get over 2 billion views this week i think. 

Spoiler

Lol.. Rong asleep on their bed on their wedding night. Ha ha:lol:

45 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! Why am I grinning so wide watching that last bit between GTY and ML talking!!! :love:

11 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

My,my! Can’t wait for tomorrow!

What crap was QH spouting to GTY?

Can anyone translate the trailer please?

There was an clip in an old trailer that had a bit of that part that was subbed. QH said he didn’t think GTY was good enough for ML and GTY responded back saying How do you know I’m not good enough for ML. (Since only CB knows how GTY really was in the past, not counting the present Emperor thing). Don’t fully know the rest though.

3 minutes ago, hello210 said:

There was an clip in an old trailer that had a bit of that part that was subbed. QH said he didn’t think GTY was good enough for ML and GTY responded back saying How do you know I’m not good enough for ML. (Since only CB knows how GTY really was in the past, not counting the present Emperor thing). Don’t fully know the rest though.

Seeing his reaction to the news when his mum told him & those scene with GTY I am guessing he really will go down the vengeful ex-lover path! Does QH think before asking anything? I am guessing the news of the marriage between GTY & ML is spread around the town already and if it is broken & ML gets married to QH what would they say about her & the Sheng family? Did he think about that?

9 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Mu guess is he asked gty to let go of ml and gty refused. 

Spoiler

And gty tolf qh don't blame for your late coming. Qh asked how do you know she is willing to marry u? Gty answered go and ask ml. Ask also her grandma. 

1 minute ago, darkphoenix123 said:

Seeing his reaction to the news when his mum told him & those scene with GTY I am guessing he really will go down the vengeful ex-lover path! Does QH think before asking anything? I am guessing the news of the marriage between GTY & ML is spread around the town already and if it is broken & ML gets married to QH what would they say about her & the Sheng family? Did he think about that?

Spoiler

I think that the part where he went to ml house to ask her whether she really willing to marry gty. Unfortunately ml was guard by xiotao and grandma. Two fierce tiger and bear. Ha ha. Too late. 

5 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

@leeza77

Hide contents

LOL didn't notice first that Rong'er was asleep in the bed :D . She crashed their wedding night. But i honestly don't think ML is fully prepared yet anyway :D 

Spoiler

Ohhh.. Nothing can stop gty. He's been admiring for a long time. Ha ha

3 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

And gty tolf qh don't blame for your late coming. Qh asked how do you know she is willing to marry u? Gty answered go and ask ml. Ask also her grandma. 

Hide contents

I think that the part where he went to ml house to ask her whether she really willing to marry gty. Unfortunately ml was guard by xiotao and grandma. Two fierce tiger and bear. Ha ha. Too late. 

I feel bad for him sure but did he think grandma would agree to break ML’s marriage with GTY & allow her to marry him after all that happened? ML is her precious granddaughter and she saw her hurt & become a joke with others because of what happened so why would she agree. I am glad grannie is guarding her so well

Nice answer GTY! BTW what was GTY and ML talking abt in the beginning & the end if you don’t mind translating?

With GTY she doesn't have to carry her facade all the time since GTY is one of the very few that knows her true self. She will atleast have more freedom as GTY's wife than any other man's wife. Also They have both suffered in their respective families and share true understanding of eachother. They are also both smart and cunning which is why they suit eachother very much. I felt the same way in Yanxi Palace between WYL and QL.

Archived