Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

34 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

I just thought that women marrying at that time will have dowry to bring to the marriage, I was just following Sheng Hong and Linniang's logic. For them to accept give big dowry. It is not about the money but about family honor. But since dowry was not really mentioned, it could have been something else other than dowry that granny offered tit for tat, since it was a negotiation. But what granny negotiated with, is unknown or not said.

Molan had a small dowry. I think she had what her mother gave her (farm land and shop) and maybe something from her father but only saw the one bracelet from Daniang. We don’t know of anything else. No great, but she didn’t go completely empty handed. I think that’s one of the things Liniang also miscalculated. As one of the richest families, they wouldn’t be able to come up with a dowry that would make the Liangs accept it which Sheng Hong knew and was trying to tell Liniang in between her rants. And at that point family honor had already went out the window.

• Like 6

@hello210 My thoughts exactly. Big Madam reminded him to not have a solemn look because they are about to greet the guess. Hahaha His face was the best. 

I was satisfied with everything and all the people involved in the scheme of their punishments. However just disappointed that sheng hongs trusted aid didn’t get his retribution for accepting bribes from Lin before.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

7 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

At least he fulfills his responsibility to his family well and he never bothers ML with his love anymore. No one could have done it better.

@linhlinh111 @artboxI agreed with everything you said about QH and GTY and you probably remember I have made comments similar to you. You guys worded better than me :D For me, it is not about who ML ends up with or who deserves her better. They are two different individuals who met ML at different time in their life and in her life. However, l have issue with the drama making QH bother ML (seen in the new trailer) after her marriage to GTY as mentioned in my yesterday's post.

I applaud QH keeping his love and longing for ML in his heart till the end of his life. I never thought that his life was miserable for only loving ML as he had a career and family he raised.  Most marriage at that time was not based on love anyways. I also do not have issue with drama making QH's family proposing to ML before she got married (we will have to see whether he was too late since they already accepted GTY's betrothal gifts or grandma just rejected him). In the book, QH's family never proposed to ML, it was Rulan whom QH's mom was interested in for his second marriage. The idea was rejected by QH's mom later because of Molan's scandal. The drama has changed order and timing of events and scenes quite a lot). 

I think some of us have been forgetting time lapse in the drama since we have been watching it everyday. Since CB passing imperial exam, SH's detainment by emperor, Polo match, I would say time has passed at least two years at the time of rebellion. Before Polo game of QH and ML, HL wasn't pregnant yet (grandma invited He grandma to feel the pulse to help HL get pregnant) and her son is half a year old when Molan's scandal broke. According to the conversations, Molan's sneaking around with Liang's son has been going for at least half a month or longer). Since they changed the events and order of events so much in the drama, as well as starting age of characters are different from the book, we couldn't tell the exact age of character. From the look of child actors, CF and QH are similar age (may be CF a yr older), QH supposedly 2-3 years older than ML, CB 2 yrs older than CF, GTY 1-2 yr older than CB. ML just turned 15 and QH was 17-18 during imperial exam but he is currently 19-20. After GTY and ML got married, QH would have been 20-21. He is no longer 17 years old teenager but 21, and he should have already grown up mentally from his experience with Jiacheng princess's family. So, when he go and tell married ML that "he loved her more than GTY as he couldn't even sleep at nights from missing her," it is not logical for me. Also, like @hello210 mentioned, people at the era are more mature and lots of responsibilities before 20 as they marry and have kids around 15-16. 

For me, making QH as one of ML's suitors and first love would have been fine instead of trying to add a lot more scenes creating inconsistent character and cliche storyline in making and promoting QH as being second male lead just to have love triangle. 

@deslynn88 It was mentioned that CF (third son) was kneeling outside to beg for forgiveness of his mom and Molan's doing. The father also mentioned that he didn't beat Molan to death but instead punished her to kneel in ancestral hall due to CF's needing to take the imperial exam again in half a year. 

@ForgottenSoulxI rather not see QH scenes than drama writers making things cliche. To answer your Qs from earlier post, the second cousin (grandson of old first Sheng Madam in You Yeng from her daughter who later married to Pinlan instead) and Li scholar were omitted. 

• Like 6

Anyone know ahead what ML’s dowry was? So the things that GTY brought as betroth gifts...they stay with the Sheng family? Not knowledgeable about Chinese weddings. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

Anyone know ahead what ML’s dowry was? So the things that GTY brought as betroth gifts...they stay with the Sheng family? Not knowledgeable about Chinese weddings. 

I'm not sure it was mentioned in the book. Her dowry could have been less than Rulan and Hulan though even if grandma gave her some since her biological mom doesn't have any left for her except that one silver bangle. 

Spoiler

Rulan's dowry was mentioned. Wang Shi bought a big house for her and SH said that she could have bought a smaller one. The smaller house could have prevented Rulan's mom-in-law from smaller city living with them as Rulan has an excuse to say the place is very small.

Someone posted about GTY's gifts a few pages ago. Traditionally, for rich and honorable families like Sheng, they would give most of betrothal gifts (jewelries, properties, cloth and artifacts) back to ML as part of her dowry. They would probably keep the food. For poor family, they would have kept all the gifts as they're considered bride price. That's why I mentioned before that shu daughters will be first to be sold off as concubines for money by family if they're having difficulties i.e without giving them any dowry as well (may be just a few pieces of jewelry). ML's mom was bought by Daniang WS for money from her merchant family since the father was really sick even though she was di daughter and her father was educated.  

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

@linhlinh111 @artboxI agreed with everything you said about QH and GTY and you probably remember I have made comments similar to you. You guys worded better than me :D For me, it is not about who ML ends up with or who deserves her better. They are two different individuals However, l have issue with the drama making QH bother ML (seen in the new trailer) after her marriage to GTY as mentioned in my yesterday's post.

I applaud QH keeping his love and longing for ML in his heart till the end of his life. I never thought that his life was miserable for only loving ML as he had a career and family he raised.  Most marriage at that time was not based on love anyways. I also do not have issue with drama making QH's family proposing to ML before she got married (we will have to see whether he was too late since they already accepted GTY's betrothal gifts or Sheng family rejected for being unsuccessful. In the book, QH's family never proposed to ML, it was Rulan whom QH's mom was interested in for his second marriage. The idea was rejected by QH's mom later because of Molan's scandal. The drama has changed order and timing of events and scenes quite a lot). 

I think some of us have been forgetting time lapse in the drama since we have been watching it everyday. Since CB passing imperial exam, SH's detainment by emperor, Polo match, I would say time has passed at least two years at the time of rebellion. Before Polo game of QH and ML, HL wasn't pregnant yet (grandma invited He grandma to feel the pulse to help HL get pregnant) and her son is half a year old when Molan's scandal broke. According to the conversations, Molan's sneaking around with Liang's son has been going for at least half a month or longer). Since they changed the events and order of events so much in the drama from the book, as well as starting age of characters are different from the book, we couldn't tell the exact age of character. From the look of child actors, CF and QH are similar age (may be CF a yr older), QH supposedly 2-3 years older than ML, CB 2 yrs older than CF, GTY 1-2 yr older than CB. ML just turned 15 and QH was 17-18 during imperial exam but he is currently 19-20. After GTY and ML got married, QH would have been 20-21. He is no longer 17 years old teenager but 21, he should have already grown up mentally from his experience with Jiacheng princess's family. So, when he go and tell married ML that "he loved her more than GTY as he couldn't even sleep at nights from missing her," it is not logical for me. Also, like @hello210 mentioned, people at the era are more mature and lots of responsibilities before 20 as they marry and have kids around 15-16. 

For me, making QH as one of ML's suitors and first love would have been fine instead of trying to add a lot more scenes creating inconsistent character and cliche storyline in making and promoting QH as being second male lead just to have love triangle. 

@Golden Flower I agree. I don’t mind that he will love ML forever in the novel since he was honorable, kept it to himself and moved on with career and family. But if the drama goes and has him tell ML that he loves her more than GTY and misses her after she gets married, that just turned him into the typical second lead who’s love went beyond the boundaries. Someone else mentioned QH being part of a faction against GTY & the new Emperor, so i’m hoping that’s not true and it doesn’t get turned into the “unobtainable love turned second lead short term vengeful” cliche. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

3 minutes ago, hello210 said:

@Golden Flower I agree. I don’t mind that he will love ML forever in the novel since he was honorable, kept it to himself and moved on with career and family. But if the drama goes and has him tell ML that he loves her more than GTY and misses her after she gets married, that just turned him into the typical second lead who’s love went from innocent to obsessive and very cliche. Someone else mentioned QH being part of a faction against GTY & the new Emperor, so i’m hoping that’s not true and it doesn’t get turned into the “unobtainable love turned second lead short term vengeful” cliche. 

I hope he doesn’t turn into an obsessive vengeful ex-lover guy either. As much as I think he is not right for ML I wanted him to grow from his obstacles and become someone better as a person. After reading the spoilers I gave up the hope that he will move & love his second wife but I really don’t want him to turn into a bad guy. That’s not progression but regression!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Omg that reaction from them is hilarious. 

@ForgottenSoulx  Everytime I watch that clip I just crack up did you see the brother reaction upon telling his parents.. Watch it again and check out brother.. looks like he's checking to see if his ears was still attach to his head after seeing Dad almost choke and mom nearly feel off the bed.. It's halrious..:w00t:

4 hours ago, zenya22 said:

The Liang family got plenty of bribe dowry from grandma to save Ming Lan from becoming their daughter in law. Molan might have thought that grandma's dowry was given for the Liang to accept her but that is the very issue that the countess will not ever let Molan forget and will throw in Molan's face, that grandma's dowry was not given for her but was given by grandma to save Ming Lan. The countess will forever blame Molan's disgraceful behavior as the cause of losing Ming Lan as her daugher in law. Molan will always be compared to the other daughters of nobility as more worthy and Molaer will regret ever becoming the daugher in law.  

The marriage negotiation between Countess Liang and Big Mama was so funny with the metaphors they used and the countess was not holding back her opinions about the disgraceful Molan and stated clearly her reasons for choosing Ming Lan.  

Countess: a daughter dog like her and you have not beaten her to death yet and came here to discuss marriage? 

Big Mama: but the 6th is a daughter of concubine and you like her because you are magnanimous and not petty (implication: you should be able to accept the 4th daughter of a concubine)

Countess: you have in your hand a pan full of poop and you beg me to accept?

4 hours ago, zenya22 said:

This conversation is a foreshadowing of what Molan the dog daughter who should have been beaten to death, pan of poop etc will go through at the Liang Manor. She will also be greeted by a pregnant woman whom she would have to accept as concubine the minute she enters the manor's door. As for the the Sheng house, good riddance!!  

No lavish wedding for her either, no one looks happy except for Linniang and the send off looks more like a funeral than a wedding send off 

Hello @zenya22  It's been a while..  Mdm Liang will forever be reminded of the dog poop she had to accept and losing face after she had been seen pampering Ming Lan.. She'll never let Molan have a peaceful life at her expence of loosing face.. Molan may think she had married up but in the end she still low on the totem pole.. She still lost out to Minglan.. I would have loved to see the look on her face seeing what kind of situation she has entered into.. Even the concubines child will rank higher then hers being that it's the first born from the scumbag.. Another thing I find hilarious that she laid up with him and he played her like a fiddle didn't even tell her about his mistress she would have to accept..   

58 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

I just thought that women marrying at that time will have dowry to bring to the marriage, I was just following Sheng Hong and Linniang's logic. For them to accept give big dowry. It is not about the money but about family honor. But since dowry was not really mentioned, it could have been something else other than dowry that granny offered tit for tat, since it was a negotiation. But what granny negotiated with, is unknown or not said.

@zenya22  It was Linniangs who suggested that old mdm give Molan a big dowry to bring with her.. CB told her no because ML is on her family linege and the old mdm belongings will go to her especially after learning it was her that spreaded such news and turned it into a scandal making him lose face.. Only thing Molan took with her was a piece of farmland and a shop of some sort.. She told Linniangs give the rest to brother because he would be needing it..

I thought Linniangs family suffered from a down fall I'm wondering where did she get all those deeds she had..

• Like 3

@sava2sava The deeds that Linniang gave to MoLan are actually things that Sheng Hong gave to her as gifts. So actually it's all from the Sheng Family money.

At this point, I CBF about Ming Lan and GTY, I just want HuaLan to get justice. The only time I've cried so far in this drama was when she was talking about her kids to her mother. T^T

• Like 5

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

The looks given by both of them. Ml subtle (i think at this point she has already has feeling for him). Gty's look really infatuated. 

• 7b34a143ly1fz7urgb9tdj20u01gue3x.jpg
  • 7b34a143ly1fz7urfchrkj21gu0u0tra.jpg
  • 7b34a143ly1fz7urgsvxsj20u01gunlm.jpg

Just wanna comment she looks adorable in the eunuch's clothes! :wub:

She does look a lil bashful in the pics

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

I thought Linniangs family suffered from a down fall I'm wondering where did she get all those deeds she had..

That was stuff that she got Sheng Hong to give her by using her charms. He spoiled her a lot.

• Like 2

In the next episode trailer QH visits Minglan's home. Looks like Xiatao turns him away.Can any one translate what she says?

• Like 5

10 hours ago, sava2sava said:

Watch it again and check out brother.. looks like he's checking to see if his ears was still attach to his head after seeing Dad almost choke and mom nearly feel off the bed.. It's halrious..:w00t:

Lin Yiniang's properties are from the father SH since he did not want her and her children suffer like him and his mom being concubine and shu son. His father had a few concubines and there are a couple who were dominant that they were giving the grandma, main wife, as well as SH and his mom a hard time. Grandma also ended up not knowing their suffering even though she was main wife because she was dealing with sickness and eventual death of her son. However, after her husband died young, she took SH as her own son by putting his name under her though she continued letting his mom raise him. 

I think CB touched his ears because his hands got burned after he got startled by his mom's fall. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, minglan1 said:

In the next episode trailer QH visits Minglan's home. Looks like Xiatao turns him away.Can any one translate what she says?

I think the scenes from this trailer are not in order. 

QH said that he can take the exam in Spring instead of waiting for another year. 

He went to ML's house to talk to the grandma.

Xiaotao: grandma said QH might be here to ask her to talk ML into something (I guess not marrying but not sure to whom, Dr. He or GTY)

QH: grandma is really wise

Xiaotao: grandma said she is not going to talk to ML since she hasn't forgotten what QH did before to ML. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

QH said that he can take the exam in Spring instead of waiting for another year. 

He went there to ML's house to talk to the grandma.

Xiaotao: grandma said the QH might be here to ask her to talk ML into something (I guess not marrying but not sure to whom, Dr. He or GTY)

Xiaotao: grandma said she is not going to talk to ML since she hasn't forgotten what QH did before to ML. 

Gotta love XiaoTao of being so protective of ML. 

And while she's a bit "dumb", ML had surely trained her well for her to find out so much information about Liang family. 

And when Molan thinks she can get info from XiaoTao about ML, it totally backfired with her falling right into the trap ML laid. 

Her loyalty to ML is precious. She even got angry on behalf of ML when ML's face got hurt! 

And grandma too of course! 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Xiaotao: grandma said the QH might be here to ask her to talk ML into something (I guess not marrying but not sure to whom, Dr. He or GTY)

I love Grandma’s protective streak. I might feel bad for QH but I am so looking forward to his mom being turned down by grandma when she comes to ask for ML’s hand

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

15 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Thank you.Love grandma and xiatao for looking out for ML.

• Like 5

I hope there won’t be a point that granny turns down Madam Qi proposal in response that they have already agreed to GTY proposal. I think I’ll be damn like CB falling down. Haha 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, darkphoenix123 said:

I hope he doesn’t turn into an obsessive vengeful ex-lover guy either. 

I agree with you. As much as I liked HQ, I hope HQ doesn’t turn out to be some crazy obsessive ex-lover. It’s about time he moves on with life instead of lingering on his puppy love for ML. 

I actually would love to see Madam Qi come and propose marriage for ML or the Sheng family to have grandma stump on their pride in front of everyone. 

• Like 4

I’m getting super excited as our main couple is starting to get closer and seeing almost everything from eye to eye level. 

ML did a awesome job at killing two birds with one stone (Molan and her mother out of the way) that should be one step closer to having a little peaceful life.

idk how ML deals with all these family dramas and not have white hair or wrinkles and stilling looking young as ever...

• Like 6