[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

2 minutes ago, dito said:

Sorry for cutting your posts.

Dr He was a good fit for ML in every way she wanted. His family was small and peaceful. He has no other ambitions than practicing medicine and being a good doctor. But his biggest flaw was his soft heart, which became obvious when his cousin came to the capital with intentions and he didn't deal with her fast enough. He pitied his cousin as she was a widow/divorced....and couldn't have children...which was revealed later. Thats why she shamelessly threw herself on Dr He. As he was her only option to have a good life in the future.  ML was about to give in and accept her as a concubine when GTY's proposal for Rulan came and turned the whole Sheng house upside down. 

Is that in the novel? Or the show? Proposal already?? :o

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

About rulan, she just a lazy, spoiled girl. Have an 'i don' t care attitude' because everything is easy for her. Still immature and have no ambition at all. That's why she can only be a supporting character. Ha ha. :lol:For molan, she us ambitious and eventhough the way she went for her ambitious is vile, at least she'd fought for her happiness and future. B)

It's good that their character's are like that, if not, the title become "The Story of Minglan, Rulan, Molan, QH and GTY" :tounge_wink::joy:

8 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

I think Molan doesn't think that marriage is the beginning of lifetime suffering (or happiness), she just don't want to lose to ML (and RL), she doesn't like Liang's 6th son but her only focus is how to get into Liang's family so she can win and her sibling will bow to her because of her new status.

Lin niang had the love and attention of her husband but she wanted to climb higher and have more power than the main wife. So she schemed, seduced, and connived all her life in that house. And taught her daughter to do the same to get /snatch whatever she wants from anyone.  

I don't think she'll ever be happy or content in her chosen life. People like Molan and her mother are never satisfied with what they have. They are always greedy for more.

Sure Molan is ambitious and fought for what she wanted. But it’s not something admirable and without merit.

Correct me if I’m wrong someone mentioned that Rulan was caught by GTY stepmom with her lover and that’s how it caused an uproar. How did that play out? Why would GTY stepmom even be involved in his marriage when he completely cut off ties with the Gu household. Unless it was someone else from Sheng household or it was GTY nanny.

12 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Is that in the novel? Or the show? Proposal already?? :o

Sorry ...forgot to add ...in the novel. The drama is looking like they changed the whole thing and removed the cousin. Not sure yet.

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

I watched the drama (mystic nine) just the zly's part. Ha ha. She was only a comeo in the drama but she stole the limelight anf brought herself best actress award. 

I burst out laughing everytime she came on, natural as if she’s a comedy actress

18 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

I think Molan doesn't think that marriage is the beginning of lifetime suffering (or happiness), she just don't want to lose to ML (and RL), she doesn't like Liang's 6th son but her only focus is how to get into Liang's family so she can win and her sibling will bow to her because of her new status.

Pity that she will ultimately bow to minglan the future marchioness Gu :lol:

I cant believe we still havent got any lovey dovey scenes between the two leads yet :sweatingbullets: drama better repay us twice the romance after the wedding!

11 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Sure Molan is ambitious and fought for what she wanted. But it’s not something admirable and without merit.

Correct me if I’m wrong someone mentioned that Rulan was caught by GTY stepmom with her lover and that’s how it caused an uproar. How did that play out? Why would GTY stepmom even be involved in his marriage when he completely cut off ties with the Gu household. Unless it was someone else from Sheng household or it was GTY nanny.

In the book, GTY maintained a polite relationship with his family after he came back. The drama actually went extreme in the family throwing him out and all. GTY's stepmom was involved in catching Rulan coz GTY convinced her to go to the temple to pray or something. Just like ML convinced Rulan to send Da Niang to pray which was actually a scheme to catch Molan. GTY and ML's wedding actually happened in the Gu house....coz the stepmom wanted GTY to marry there. Maybe after he came back successful she wanted to show she's forgiven him and was being a good mother. Maybe the drama will change it.

1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

Pffft GTY stepmom is something.... I guess GTY will use his stepmom just to get what he wants and after that it’s pay back. Since family is important for marriage arrangements. 

I wonder now if his family gets involved in his fall from grace. So the payback is the very end since I hope the end is happy for them in personal life and political life.

8 hours ago, mooose said:

Your argument is not logical. Molan was a shu daughter and she probably had the best childhood in that house. Minglan had an enviable upbringing by her grandmother's side. Shu daughters were disadvantaged when it came to marital and financial matters but their lives were not necessarily 'tough'.

Its not a historical drama but a slice of life 'character' drama based on a lightnovel (not historic facts), showing us how the characters are shaped by the sum of their experiences.

I never said that it was goldenflower who did ;p 

7 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

After the satisfaction of Concubine Lin and Molan's downfall, I will now await GTY's stepmother's downfall. Something about that woman's two-facedness gets me even more than the other women in the show. Grrrrr it annoys me that she's living such a lux life now, throwing parties here and there.

Totally agree when will this lady get what she deserves.

7 hours ago, dito said:

Sorry for cutting your posts.

Dr He was a good fit for ML in every way she wanted. His family was small and peaceful. He had no ambitions other than practicing medicine and being a good doctor. But his biggest flaw was his soft heart, which became obvious when his cousin came to the capital with intentions and he didn't deal with her fast enough. He pitied his cousin as she was a widow/divorced....and couldn't have children...which was revealed later. Thats why she shamelessly threw herself on Dr He. As he was her only option to have a good life in the future.  ML was about to give in and accept her as a concubine when GTY's proposal for Rulan came and turned the whole Sheng house upside down. 

7 hours ago, dito said:

Sorry ...forgot to add ...in the novel. The drama is looking like they changed the whole thing and removed the cousin. Not sure yet.

Not a big fan of this cousin character so would not mind if it was cut and back then people cared about heir's so if she could not have children im surprised even though Dr He is nice, he would go with her or he does not know yet?

28 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I never said that it was goldenflower who did ;p 

Totally agree when will this lady get what she deserves.

Not a big fan of this cousin character so would not mind if it was cut and back then people cared about airs so if she could not have children im surprised even though how nice Dr He was he would go with her or he does not know yet?

Spoiler

Unfortunately the cousin existed in the drama. Just saw the trailerB)

12 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

Rulan believes she can be happy being with a husband who is lower in status than being with a husband who is higher in status than her. That is where these arrange marriages are flawed. You never really know the real face of your in-laws and husbands until you married to them. Just like when Minglan cousin was wed to a lower status scholar but turned out he and his mother was greedy. Or the big sister with a mean mother in-law.

That was true. But bc Shulan (cousin) married down, when she was in trouble, the Sheng family could step up and get a divorce for her. However if she had married up to a more powerful family, there would be nothing that they could do and she would have to keep suffering (like Molan). That's why if the girl was not after status, marrying down was a safer choice than marrying up. Anyway, Rulan chose her husband cuz he loved her with all her flaws, which was very rare.

11 hours ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

If they follow the novel, his first wife gets what the kidnapped girl got during the rebellion. Don’t know about his mother.

His mother was not that cruel in the drama so she didn't receive any significant punishment. Actually she was not mentioned later in the story.

11 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

The Dr He seems like a good fit for ML just like QH. They will have a very normal peaceful marriage if he didn't have a cousin crushing on him. Did Dr He reciprocated his cousin's feeling's too? He looks a bit like QH too.

The suitor for RL seems a tad too old. He isn't that bad looking if u look at him more. Just that he looks a lot older than any if the main casts and even the 6th lord.

Dr.He didn't reciprocated her feeling, but she and her whole family were a bunch of crazy maniacs clinging to him like leeches. Also his mother was her aunt so she was biased over her. In the end she succeeded in becoming his concubine and his life was also a mess.

5 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

After the satisfaction of Concubine Lin and Molan's downfall, I will now await GTY's stepmother's downfall. Something about that woman's two-facedness gets me even more than the other women in the show. Grrrrr it annoys me that she's living such a lux life now, throwing parties here and there.

If the drama follows the book, his stepmom's downfall will be very late.

5 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

GTY proposed marriage to the Sheng family, not stated clearly which daughter he wanted. Sheng family thought it was the di daughter Rulan and arranged for the marriage with Rulan. However Rulan was secretly seeing her boyfriend (forgot his name). That day she came to the temple to say goodbye to him when GTY arranged for his nanny (not stepmom, according to the book) to catch them redhanded. Bc the Emperor knew about the marriage, Sheng family could not back out so they had no choice but to replace Rulan with ML (ML was technically a di daughter since she was registered under Daniang's name) and married Rulan off to her boyfriend.

6 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

That was true. But bc Shulan (cousin) married down, when she was in trouble, the Sheng family could step up and get a divorce for her. However if she had married up to a more powerful family, there would be nothing that they could do and she would have to keep suffering (like Molan). That's why if the girl was not after status, marrying down was a safer choice than marrying up. Anyway, Rulan chose her husband cuz he loved her with all her flaws, which was very rare.

His mother was not that cruel in the drama so she didn't receive any significant punishment. Actually she was not mentioned later in the story.

Dr.He didn't reciprocated her feeling, but she and her whole family were a bunch of crazy maniacs clinging to him like leeches. Also his mother was her aunt so she was biased over her. In the end she succeeded in becoming his concubine and his life was also a mess.

If the drama follows the book, his stepmom's downfall will be very late.

GTY proposed marriage to the Sheng family, not stated clearly which daughter he wanted. Sheng family thought it was the di daughter Rulan and arranged for the marriage with Rulan. However Rulan was secretly seeing her boyfriend (forgot his name). That day she came to the temple to say goodbye to him when GTY arranged for his nanny (not stepmom, according to the book) to catch them redhanded. Bc the Emperor knew about the marriage, Sheng family could not back out so they had no choice but to replace Rulan with ML (ML was technically a di daughter since she was registered under Daniang's name) and married Rulan off to her boyfriend.

Just GTY casually orchestrating two engagements breaking for the sake of marrying ML  :joy:

Spoiler

The way they will portray ML’s part in being the messenger is better since she wasn’t supposed to be the messenger. No major heroic acts, She was only trying to leave, but the palace maid she was leaving with got killed and turned it over to ML. Looks like the only ways she’ll escape is by sheer luck and she doesn’t get too far before getting caught and needing help? At least that’s what I got out of the previews. Tried to watch it live but only caught a bit at the end.

6 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

GTY’s stepmom was involved in finding out that GTY’s first wife cheated, but since there’s no first wife before ML in the drama, there won’t be this part. Like linhlinh111 said, it was GTY’s nanny that played a part in catching Rulan.

Spoiler

So Molan got what she wanted, but there’s no major wedding send-off like a bride from a wealthy family marrying into a noble family would get due to the scandalous reason for the marriage and his mother didn’t really want her as daughter in-law. Fitting outcome along with everything else to come. Only thing is if they go by the novel, her life will be miserable because of the endless favored concubines but it won’t be bad since she learns to play the “virtuous” wife who accepts concubines so even though hubby didn’t love her he didn’t treat her badly. Think it was because aside from conceit and being Concubine Lin’s child, she wasn’t the one that did the evil deeds, it was her mom who got her karma. Molan’s price to pay for seducing 6th Liang son was accepting all his concubines.

6 minutes ago, hello210 said:

GTY’s stepmom was involved in finding out that GTY’s first wife cheated, but since there’s no first wife before ML in the drama, there won’t be this part. Like linhlinh111 said, it was GTY’s nanny that played a part in catching Rulan.

Spoiler

In the drama the stepmom was an unashamed woman. When gty was appointed as general her attitude towards gty change 180. Keep on buttering him. 

6 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

In the drama the stepmom was an unashamed woman. When gty was appointed as general her attitude towards gty change 180. Keep on buttering him. 

Spoiler

I’m not surprised since you could see her personality change since the father died. So glad GTY knows her true face now and won’t be fooled again.

Archived