[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

That's in ep 23 if i'm not mistaken. Ml and pinglan seeking the prostitute deed (of xiucai's concubine). It was held by the owner of the brothel. Thus, here it comes the good dr.he went to the brothel to ask the owner to meet ml n pl in a restaurant negotiating on the purchase of the deed. 

Hahaha ... I thought it was a servant or male cousin that they asked. The actors looked quite alike that sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing them.

1 hour ago, Don Yu said:

*SIGH*

Sorry if this is annoying, but I am really trying to know but no one is telling me, so I am asking again!

Which episode so far is Zhang LiYing's BEST ACTING episode? I would appreciate it SO MUCH if someone can tell me.

PLEASE ANSWER!!!

@Don Yu and everyone...

For subtle eye and facial expressions, I would say TV version epi 27. She did best during Liang Mama visiting and talking about QH’s upcoming marriage and QH and her last meeting. 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:57 AM, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

He did say to ML that he will punish those who bullies her. He knows that they look down on him because of his reputation and he has mistress n children  and throw ML to him. Not that he minds. In any case he feels he won lottery by marrying ML. He is just showing to them what ML gains by marrying him and their loss. Hahaha

LOL.. Im looking forward for this part in the drama...ML and GTY wedding is my fav part in the novel... kekekek

7 hours ago, jewelsc said:
  Hide contents

Granma is like a dragon, she was so pissed when Da Niang told her what Madam Liang had suggested that ML marries her 6th son as the main wife while Molan as the concubine, she is basically 'shouting' that she was the one who raised ML and nobody in hell is going to marry her  ML off but she!! You gotta love  granma !

ML jiumu makes me miss my late Granny.. Im glad ML have granny to protect her from useless father and manipulating stepmoms.. sighhh

8 hours ago, m0us3y said:

From the trailer it seem like GTY was jealous after seeing QH and ML together, alone. 

In the novel (as mentioned by another chingu), it was written as GTY was jealous because ML showed the true side of her, as ML was angry with QH and showed it. As his wife, ML was always the perfect wife that never raises her voice, never angry. But GTY wanted to see the true side of her which has all emotions. 

However in the drama, I'm not sure they are keeping that as we can see that ML loses her cool with him more than she ever did with QH. And I think GTY is happy because he gets to see the real her. So I'm suspecting he really is jealous. In the trailer, towards the end, he asked her "if you get to choose again, would you still have married me??" 

I think GTY is jealous too.. From the earlier eps, its kinda obvious that he loves to tease ML about marriage.. Honestly, in the drama, GTY might have some attraction towards ML but he do not noticed it yet.. That's y he offered to help QH to kidnap the princess before ML & QH break up.

7 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

I like Rulan both in the drama and in the book. She might look spoilt and shallow but actually she was more mature than what's shown. Like she said women would be very stressful once married, so she just tried to live as carefree and fun as she could while still living with her parents. She was never blinded by the glamour of status and money, she never got jealous of ML bc she was more admired than her, she understood her shortcomings and she was waiting for the one who loved her for who she was. I never imagined a character which I didn't care and kinda dislike at the beginning turned out to be one of those I like most. She had grown so much since she got married and tbh I'm impressed.

Me too.. I think i really like Rulan character as well.. If I live in that era, I would make Rulan as one of my bestie.. She is so transparent and straight forward.. I prefer to have that kind of girlfriend compared to the Lotus type like Molan.. Rather than mature, I think Rulan is much more honest compared to other character in this novel n drama.. Maybe because she was pampered since she was young and have less hardship than ML...

If only the producer is kinder to Rulan in the drama by giving her handsome and good looking scholar just like in the novel.. LOL.. Her future beau that appears look kinda old in the drama.. LOL..

Anyway, Rulan is my fav gfriend if I live in that novel.. kekekek..

28 minutes ago, lyaarisa said:

I think GTY is jealous too.. From the earlier eps, its kinda obvious that he loves to tease ML about marriage.. Honestly, in the drama, GTY might have some attraction towards ML but he do not noticed it yet.. That's y he offered to help QH to kidnap the princess before ML & QH break up.

Hahahah. :lol:

Actually I think he's aware. If he wasnt, I'm sure Shitou has been pointing out to him. 

But as he told QH, QH has humiliated ML by showing/ declaring his love during the polo match only to not marry her. 

So his every move has been very careful, and deliberate. 

Including getting her to walk home alone and then secretly protecting her from behind, and then followed ML and Granny's carriage all the way to capital yet not showing his face to them. 

Even when he talks to her at the end of ep28, he was careful to not say he brought things for her, but he brought things on behalf of the 2nd bro for her. 

He doesn't want to put her in another difficult situation, to embarass or humiliate her. 

That's partially what he meant when he said we need to plan 5 steps ahead and 3 steps back everytime. :)

38 minutes ago, Jackie1048 said:

On the topic of 3 steps forward and 5 steps backward, Gu Ting Ye's reference is to Qi Heng's undecisiveness to take the appropriate actions to secure he and Ming Lan's future together. 

I agree with him that QH could've avoided all this crap if he had pushed for marriage waaay earlier. But then again, even if he did somehow convince his mother to marry ML as main wife (I doubt that will EVER happened, his mother is an ice cube), if the Princess still expressed interest, she would be pushed down to concubine anyways. 

But the main thing that got me was when GTY volunteered to abduct the Princess. Like dude ... is there no one to overhear this crap you're spouting lol. He said it so loudly toooo

4 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

Okay, no idea if this has been asked or answered when I was going through the massive paragraphs debating QH's character and judgement lol.

Buuut, I was wondering if the Princess he marries gets any form of retribution? Does QH's mother also suffer in any way in the future? Over bearing daughter-in-law or during the rebellion and so forth

Spoiler

She and her mother the wang fei, both got raped and killed from the 1st rebellion

dunno about QH’s mother tho.. as she isnt as scary in the novel

4 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

That’s why I suggested they watch the show and see for themselves. ZLY is a good actor but to know which is her best performance can differ in opinions as we all have different views on what is best. 

She really becomes the characters she plays. She studies and gets to know it and reads the novel. That’s why I always believe I am watching the character and not ZLY. I love that they also used their real voice... Over all I think the cast is very good. Some say some actors are not good looking or some look too old or support class look better than male lead etc etc... This is why I prefer C-drama over K-drama. Because a lot of good shows is not just baiting people with good looking young actors... J-drama have a lot of good slice of life dramas which I appreciate but the acting is a hit or miss. I only watch C dramas nowadays and glad more shows are being subbed.

Yes I agree.. yingbao is definitely live up to her immense popularity. Imo mostly c actors/actresses are popular with huge following but subpar (even below subpar, even tho I do like them) acting. But I can say yingbao is good. Maybe not the best, but at least you dont see her over acting or being wooden

her best acting is yet to come in this drama, maiden minglan is subdued, wait until she becomes Marchioness Gu and unleash her potential

OT, but personally for me, yingbao’s best character is as yin xinyue in the mystic nine. Like how the saying goes “dying is easy, comedy is hard” she really stole every scene she was in

9 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Hide contents

She and her mother the wang fei, both got raped and killed from the 1st rebellion

dunno about QH’s mother tho.. as she isnt as scary in the novel

If the drama followed the novel, they got their karma :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Yes I agree.. yingbao is definitely live up to her immense popularity. Imo mostly c actors/actresses are popular with huge following but subpar (even below subpar, even tho I do like them) acting. But I can say yingbao is good. Maybe not the best, but at least you dont see her over acting or being wooden

her best acting is yet to come in this drama, maiden minglan is subdued, wait until she becomes Marchioness Gu and unleash her potential

OT, but personally for me, yingbao’s best character is as yin xinyue in the mystic nine. Like how the saying goes “dying is easy, comedy is hard” she really stole every scene she was in

I watched the drama (mystic nine) just the zly's part. Ha ha. She was only a comeo in the drama but she stole the limelight anf brought herself best actress award. 

On the matter when Hualan told Molan why the Duchess picked Ming Lan over Molan is due to their character. Even the Duchess said that Ming Lan will never get herself in such a predicament. Duchess said that Molan is a "fox".

Molan's mother entered the Sheng's household after getting herself pregnant while Ming Lan entered the Sheng household as a maiden who need to.pay off a family financial debt so there is a difference in morals of the two concubines.

I cannot wait for the bubble to burst on Molan about her aspirations to marry into a noble family. Marrying into such family is not an end but the very begining of a lifetime of suffering.

About rulan, she just a lazy, spoiled girl. Have an 'i don' t care attitude' because everything is easy for her. Still immature and have no ambition at all. That's why she can only be a supporting character. Ha ha. :lol:For molan, she us ambitious and eventhough the way she went for her ambitious is vile, at least she'd fought for her happiness and future. B)

4 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I concurred and that’s what I have been commenting in my previous posts (even wrote long pointing out out of logic scenes) that I was a bit disappointed in drama writing for being inconsistent with main theme/ logic of the story of “how tough the life of the women those days and worse if they’re are Shu daughter”.

Your argument is not logical. Molan was a shu daughter and she probably had the best childhood in that house. Minglan had an enviable upbringing by her grandmother's side. Shu daughters were disadvantaged when it came to marital and financial matters but their lives were not necessarily 'tough'.

Its not a historical drama but a slice of life 'character' drama based on a lightnovel (not historic facts), showing us how the characters are shaped by the sum of their experiences.

36 minutes ago, Jackie1048 said:

On the matter when Hualan told Molan why the Duchess picked Ming Lan over Molan is due to their character. Even the Duchess said that Ming Lan will never get herself in such a predicament. Duchess said that Molan is a "fox".

Its karma that Concubine Lin's moral conduct blocked her daughter's marital chances.

The getting prego to enter the household only worked because she was a relative of Old Madam and it was an internal issue, so she got away with it. The entire circle probably knows how she disrupted the household.  Sins of the mother..

53 minutes ago, Jackie1048 said:

Molan's mother entered the Sheng's household after getting herself pregnant while Ming Lan entered the Sheng household as a maiden who need to.pay off a family financial debt so there is a difference in morals of the two concubines.

I cannot wait for the bubble to burst on Molan about her aspirations to marry into a noble family. Marrying into such family is not an end but the very begining of a lifetime of suffering.

I think Molan doesn't think that marriage is the beginning of lifetime suffering (or happiness), she just don't want to lose to ML (and RL), she doesn't like Liang's 6th son but her only focus is how to get into Liang's family so she can win and her sibling will bow to her because of her new status.

After the satisfaction of Concubine Lin and Molan's downfall, I will now await GTY's stepmother's downfall. Something about that woman's two-facedness gets me even more than the other women in the show. Grrrrr it annoys me that she's living such a lux life now, throwing parties here and there.

11 hours ago, mooose said:

Its karma that Concubine Lin's moral conduct blocked her daughter's marital chances.

The getting prego to enter the household only worked because she was a relative of Old Madam and it was an internal issue, so she got away with it. The entire circle probably knows how she disrupted the household.  Sins of the mother..

"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" Lin's children's moral are very much the same like hers :skull:

6 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

The Dr He seems like a good fit for ML just like QH. They will have a very normal peaceful marriage if he didn't have a cousin crushing on him. Did Dr He reciprocated his cousin's feeling's too? He looks a bit like QH too.

6 hours ago, m0us3y said:

I don't mind Dr.He too. Like granny said he's very submissive. I like that he just does whatever ML asks him to, including going into the brothel! :D

Sorry for cutting your posts.

Dr He was a good fit for ML in every way she wanted. His family was small and peaceful. He had no ambitions other than practicing medicine and being a good doctor. But his biggest flaw was his soft heart, which became obvious when his cousin came to the capital with intentions and he didn't deal with her fast enough. He pitied his cousin as she was a widow/divorced....and couldn't have children...which was revealed later. Thats why she shamelessly threw herself on Dr He. As he was her only option to have a good life in the future.  ML was about to give in and accept her as a concubine when GTY's proposal for Rulan came and turned the whole Sheng house upside down. 

Archived