[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

12 minutes ago, fra8 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Rewatching the trailer it seems so. I don’t find this a good change because in the book one of the best parts was them being at the top  and fighting from the top. I guess it would be a way to show her fighting for him, protecting him but I liked he was loved by the Emperor.

Does that mean in the novel ML never got to help/save GTY? 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Does that mean in the novel ML never got to help/save GTY? 

She helped him a lot fighting his family. But not in that big way. He was always at the top in his career as far as I remember.

however I read the book skipping because I used google translate. I can’t read Chinese, I just understand and speak it.

14 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

So it was the general he saved that invited him to join his army? 

I thought it was his old useless general. Lol

So he actually ditched his old general after saving ML the second time?

Spoiler

Well as advised by ml, he can't ascend to a higher position if he just stay at the back in yongyang. He must march to the front to be successful. Besides, the stupid pompous general did not like him. Better joined the people who appreciated his talent. 

6 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Well as advised by ml, he can't ascend to a higher position if he just stay at the back in yongyang. He must march to the front to be successful. Besides, the stupid pompous general did not like him. Better joined the people who appreciated his talent. 

Hahahah. I somehow just assumed that the useless general realises his importance. Obviously I had too much faith in him. 

So GTY listened to her the first time and enlist to the army, and then listened to her again and ditch the general! :lol:

41 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Yeah. I've read earlier about that on the novel too. 

But it seems like because of their childhood meeting, there are most trust between the 2 than with anyone else. 

ESP when ML openly told him about the mom's death, and the fact every family member turned their back on her then. 

It's also quite funny that despite everything, they would always help each other.  

Like how GTY secretly helped her all the way when she was away from the capital, and it was funny when GTY mentioned that she should run now because the ppl after him are here, and her first reaction was "do U want me to help you hold the spear?" :lol:

Not sure how that would help, but she sure tried! 

And how GTY would tell her that he's leaving for the south for battle (which was where she said he should head to to get promoted quicker!) and she quickly wishes him all the best and be careful. 

And they talk in codes too! :D

That's the kind of rapport that I don't see between ML and QH. 

Can you explain what you mean they talk in codes? 

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

I think earlier on, gty has saved a general and he was very thankful to him. Then in episode 28, the general has invited him to join his troupe. During the conversation between ML and GTY in episode 28, he told her that he is already a high position person in the army. Even without the rebellion, he still be able to marry ML. 

I’m glad he joined them and not that other general he was with at first. I thought he went to join him again. 

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

And gty said to her you too can do anything you want. But ML said no i can't. Gty insisted yes you can.. and the servant came and interrupted them. I keep on guessing what gty wanted to say to ML at the time. Maybe 'if u marry me"??? Ha ha.. Not likely but it will be nice shock to ML. :P

LMAO my thought exactly during that scene I was rolling my eyes he can be more obvious. Haha 

13 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

Can you explain what you mean they talk in codes? 

Lol. When GTY went to give the clay doll to ML as requested by QH, he mentioned about a calligraphy book, and ML just know that he meant QH. 

and then the whole conversation was using the calligraphy as a substitute for QH. 

That the calligraphy work was bad and the calligrapher has ruined his own work. 

And he has no excuse except feeling sorry that the work is ruined. 

40 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

I’m glad he joined them and not that other general he was with at first. I thought he went to join him again. 

LMAO my thought exactly during that scene I was rolling my eyes he can be more obvious. Haha 

Spoiler

I check the previous episode again. You r right. He went to the same pompous general xie but no longer stupid and Not the one he saved earlier. So, the general has realised the talent of gty and politely invited gty to join him again. 

It's the useless general who asked for him back. The guy who went to his house was the assistant to the useless general. They specifically said his name - General Xie - wanted him back. The good general he saved was General Zhao. GTY played them a little when they came to his house, he told Momo that he had to play hard to get a little so they would appreciate him more. I don't think he would use that kind of attitude to General Zhao.

18 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Hide contents

I check the previous episode again. You r right. He went to the same pompous general xie but no longer stupid and Not the one he saved earlier. So, the general has realised the talent of gty and politely invited gty to join him again. 

Darn. So he did go back to the useless general! I thought the guy who asked him back looked like the useless general's assistant. But was hoping I was wrong...

So I guess I didn't get it wrong Afterall...:tears:

3 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

He is a great strategist. In episode 28, when scolding QH for tarnishing ML's reputation, he told qh that when planning something you should have planned 5 moves ahead and 3 moves backwards. Lol, ML's has just to wait to be caught by gty. She has no chance at all to escape him. 

That’s why a smart girl like ML can still be trapped by a rogue, a military general rogue :D

3 hours ago, dito said:

I too wish they at least keep some of his behind the scenes machinations. I want to see his smart brain working hard to get the girl. 

Though I think there will be no cousin of the Dr coming in to ruin everything....coz I don't see an actress listed for that role.

Eh?? But the doctor arc imo is pretty important..

16 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

That’s why a smart girl like ML can still be trapped by a rogue, a military general rogue :D

Eh?? But the doctor arc imo is pretty important..

I think the elders will start talking of engagement between the Doc and ML. But the writers may skip the whole cousin drama. Coz it may seem a little nasty of GTY to ruin a perfectly good match like that. He was just telling ML he will beat up people if they talk crap about her to ruin her potential matchmaking.

Also drama GTY is a much nicer character than the book GTY....so he might not do something like that. 

22 minutes ago, dito said:

I think the elders will start talking of engagement between the Doc and ML. But the writers may skip the whole cousin drama. Coz it may seem a little nasty of GTY to ruin a perfectly good match like that. He was just telling ML he will beat up people if they talk crap about her to ruin her potential matchmaking.

Also drama GTY is a much nicer character than the book GTY....so he might not do something like that. 

I guess that will also work, that ending of ep 28 is so cute tho

Spoiler

You just wait for my return ML.. I will beat up anyone who thrash talk you.. THEN I will trick you into marriage lol

5 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Hahahah. I somehow just assumed that the useless general realises his importance. Obviously I had too much faith in him. 

So GTY listened to her the first time and enlist to the army, and then listened to her again and ditch the general! :lol:

No, not really, she did not advise him to ditch the general. This is one of the conversations where they spoke in codes like you said, when she did not actually advise him on how to advance his career but he let her guess what he was up to. She asked why he was still a foot soldier and was it because he was arrogant and acted pompously and was punished. TY did not answer just raised his eyebrows and she said ahhhh that was not it, you did something valorous to save the day and let the general take the credit and (indebted to you) and mentioned one of the strategies in Strategems of War, don't remember exactly what she said the strategy was, then praised his ingenuity. This is also when he told her that he did not enlist in his father's army because he wanted to advance through his own efforts as that was the honorable thing to do. But this conversation shows how in touch they are with each other. All he has to do is raise his eyebrows and boom.... she knows. TGY: I better be honest with her, she has ESP. she reads me . :lol:

Anyhow, since GTY is going to the frontlines, do we see him in action in the frontlines? How he gets his stars and stripes and become general? 

5 hours ago, Lunkera said:

@tomo74 Probably. ML has been looked down upon and been neglected, by giving such a huge ammount of gifts he's probably stating that she should not be messed with and looked down on.

You got it right there I think.  I saw in one of the trailers that GTY said to ML something like "I don't want you to suffer anymore and being looked down upon".  So I guess this is his way of showing to people that regardless of the fact that she was born a shu (from a concubine), it does not mean that she has less value.  This is his way of protecting her.  We all know that GTY is a sucker for "defenceless" women : Manniang, Yanran, ML.  It may seemed like a petty gesture (I personally do not look at it this way), but I think his priority is Minglan and to ensure that people know that he value her a lot.  Ruolan is a nice enough girl but you can see glimpses of her being quite spoilt and self important since she is born "Di" daughter.  I hope they all get happy ending.   Most of them anyways :) 

I know this is late but I just want to say I perfectly understand the fact that there is tongfang and how the guys in this era aren't that pure. However I just ignore this facts like how I ignore other relastic details to try and enjoy the show. 

Well that's that carry on with the topic. 

I usually don't watch alot of chinese drama. But the korean dramas that has been the last 1 year has been pretty boring. So i started watching Yan Xi Palace and i was hooked on it. Haven't watched much of cdrama since TMOPB. The last 3 weeks i've been hooked :D . I tend to read alot of chinese translated novel though so i've waited on Minglan for over a year along with Joy of Life. I prefer watching more realistic dramas than fantasy. I'm amazed by the quality of Yan Xi Palace and Story of Minglan. Two amazing dramas. Can't wait until GTY and ML is married.

11 hours ago, hello210 said:

I think since Molan had made it very obvious with her intentions for 6th Liang son that ML is using it to her advantage and may be making Molan feel desperate after the whole gift thing to push her into action. Kind of stoking the fire and letting Molan hang herself quicker, taking Concubine Lin down with her since mothers are responsible for the actions of their children because of how they raised them. Plus by this point, I don’t think anyone will believe that Concubine Lin may not have helped Molan.

I don't think ML did this since if Molan's name is tainted then both Rulan and ML herself would be ruined too. Molan was lucky Grandma found a way to blackmail the Liang family, otherwise the whole family's reputation was done for. And Molan's virginity was definitely not lost since she knew for sure if she was not a virgin she could never be married off as the main wife. Back then it was really harsh on women. Being hugged was enough to ruin a girl's name.

1 hour ago, nichiwoohee said:

I guess that will also work, that ending of ep 28 is so cute tho

Hide contents

You just wait for my return ML.. I will beat up anyone who thrash talk you.. THEN I will trick you into marriage lol

I was laughing thinking the same. He seemed to hint that he wants her to wait for him and don’t get married. He will be the one to protect her. 

10 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

I don't think ML did this since if Molan's name is tainted then both Rulan and ML herself would be ruined too. Molan was lucky Grandma found a way to blackmail the Liang family, otherwise the whole family's reputation was done for. And Molan's virginity was definitely not lost since she knew for sure if she was not a virgin she could never be married off as the main wife. Back then it was really harsh on women. Being hugged was enough to ruin a girl's name.

Besides if Molan really pulled the pregnant con then I have to say she was really stupid. She could just use her looks and sweet talking to gain Liang's son attention, but she chose to be married off in such a shameful way. And actually if Liang family refused to take her (they had a valid reason not to) then she is doomed for sure.

Archived