[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

10 hours ago, dito said:

GTY splurged a lot of money.....and I think some big political and military figures were in attendance ...so yeah it was big affair.

All I remember is that his bride price was huge. Tons of expensive fabrics, jewelry, accessories, etc

edit.....I went and checked...heres the list...Apparently GTY filled their whole yard with his gifts.

100... Horses, Pigs( it says Minglan pigs...I don't know if there really is a pig named like that),

abalone, clams, oysters, mushrooms, shrimp, squid, sea cucumber, shark's fin..... etc

1200 feet of fabric..which includes....80 feet of crepe, 88 feet of camlet, 180 feet of various colors of Shu embroidered brocade, etc

34 gold dragon phoenix bracelets....another 18 pieces of some dragon phoenix jewelry I can't make out.

Then there were different kinds of fish, wine, tea and candy for all 4 seasons. 

GTY didn't know instead of making people happy his gifts made some people unhappy. Da niang and Rulan to be exact. Both had no objections to GTY marrying ML before but when they saw the bride price both start to regret letting GTY go from their hands. And GTY was so petty sending the bride price for ML on day Rulan's lite-bride price came.

Is it possible that GTY throw such a generous gifts for ML because he wants to shut the gossiper's mouth (like what he told ML to not pay any attention to any gossip people might talk) that her reputation ruined (because of QH's mum's saga), like he want to show the world that ML is worth and he is the luckiest man?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Yeah. Rulan indeed has a love story. I'm just wondering if they will use GTY to use Rulan to marry ML, or will Rulan story be a stand alone. 

Spoiler

I think gty will use the same manipulation as the novel. During one of the interviews, he fsf told media that gty was scheming to catch ML. And after marrying her, he told the truth to ML he said nothing should be hidden in the marriage. 

3 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

They should keep the GTY scheming to get ML

Hide contents

He not only scheme Rulan, I think he also orchestrated the childhood cousin of The Doctor to appear. Such scoundrel that GTY :D

Spoiler

He is a great strategist. In episode 28, when scolding QH for tarnishing ML's reputation, he told qh that when planning something you should have planned 5 moves ahead and 3 moves backwards. Lol, ML's has just to wait to be caught by gty. She has no chance at all to escape him. 

Spoiler

I can't wait for QH family to lose their royal backing. The mother are confident that Prince Yong will be named crown prince and ascend to the throne. Since GTY is going off to the frontline now while ML will get a little of revenge at home. Her reputation tarnished? just wait until GTY comes back :D 

2 hours ago, gleek49 said:

I'm not sure about the rebellion. There are two in the book, one is during the old emperor's reign and one right after the start of the new emperor's reign. GTY really earned his merits in the second one. I'm thinking that they will only do with one rebellion in the drama. How they gonna do it, we'll have to see.

I'm curious how they'll going to deal with Ru Lan's love story. I don't think they will cut it, since I saw one scene of them dating in one of the trailers.

Spoiler

I think earlier on, gty has saved a general and he was very thankful to him. Then in episode 28, the general has invited him to join his troupe. During the conversation between ML and GTY in episode 28, he told her that he is already a high position person in the army. Even without the rebellion, he still be able to marry ML. 

49 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

They should keep the GTY scheming to get ML

Reveal hidden contents

He not only scheme Rulan, I think he also orchestrated the childhood cousin of The Doctor to appear. Such scoundrel that GTY :D

43 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He is a great strategist. In episode 28, when scolding QH for tarnishing ML's reputation, he told qh that when planning something you should have planned 5 moves ahead and 3 moves backwards. Lol, ML's has just to wait to be caught by gty. She has no chance at all to escape him. 

I too wish they at least keep some of his behind the scenes machinations. I want to see his smart brain working hard to get the girl. 

Though I think there will be no cousin of the Dr coming in to ruin everything....coz I don't see an actress listed for that role.

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

That's why they will both be very powerful couple! Both have great foresight! 

GTY plans for 5 moves ahead, 3 moves backwards, ML planned for 6-7 years ahead! :D

That's why she told GTY she cannot judge Rong'er 's happiness on that moment alone.

I am really liking how they build the relationship between ML-GTY out of trust and a solid base, and then love. 

GTY really listens to her. And all their interactions show that they know each other so well. Including the fact that he's still a foot soldier cuz he must have been too proud and hence angered the general. Or he must have achieved too much victory too fast! :lol:

Just the way they can speak so frankly and comfortably with each other....from "why are you still a foot soldier?" To the toast because "I admire you". :wub:

2 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

GTY plans for 5 moves ahead, 3 moves backwards, ML planned for 6-7 years ahead! :D

That's why she told GTY she cannot judge Rong'er 's happiness on that moment alone.

I am really liking how they build the relationship between ML-GTY out of trust and a solid base, and then love. 

GTY really listens to her. And all their interactions show that they know each other so well. Including the fact that he's still a foot soldier cuz he must have been too proud and hence angered the general. Or he must have achieved too much victory too fast! :lol:

Just the way they can speak so frankly and comfortably with each other....from "why are you still a foot soldier?" To the toast because "I admire you". :wub:

Spoiler

And gty said to her you too can do anything you want. But ML said no i can't. Gty insisted yes you can.. and the servant came and interrupted them. I keep on guessing what gty wanted to say to ML at the time. Maybe 'if u marry me"??? Ha ha.. Not likely but it will be nice shock to ML. :P

Let's go back to the begining, the current emperor had no direct heirs. So there are two candidates in line to the throne. Prince Yong is the one with many concubines who gave loads of sons and one daughter. The other is the General Zhou Gu Te Ye saved both father and son in an ambush.

Prince Yong is seen as the hot favourite to suceed the throne. General Zhou did the wise thing and stayed away from the capital from the palace intrigues. Because of this Peince Yong thinks he is all powerful and even got rid of Miss Rong who was in talks with Qi Heng's family as a potential bride, just because his own daughter fancied Qi Heng.

The Emperor always ask who side his ministers are with and remember Ming Lan's father gave a neutral answer that saved his life.

Qi Heng's mother is fearful as they are a noble family based on bloodline but of no substance. Qi Heng laughed at his fate that he compared his fate to that of the famous beauties sent to bring down dynasties.

So it is a matter of betting on the right horse.

2 minutes ago, Jackie1048 said:

Let's go back to the begining, the current emperor had no direct heirs. So there are two candidates in line to the throne. Prince Yong is the one with many concubines who gave loads of sons and one daughter. The other is the General Zhou Gu Te Ye saved both father and son in an ambush.

Prince Yong is seen as the hot favourite to suceed the throne. General Zhou did the wise thing and stayed away from the capital from the palace intrigues. Because of this Peince Yong thinks he is all powerful and even got rid of Miss Rong who was in talks with Qi Heng's family as a potential bride, just because his own daughter fancied Qi Heng.

The Emperor always ask who side his ministers are with and remember Ming Lan's father gave a neutral answer that saved his life.

Qi Heng's mother is fearful as they are a noble family based on bloodline but of no substance. Qi Heng laughed at his fate that he compared his fate to that of the famous beauties sent to bring down dynasties.

So it is a matter of betting on the right horse.

Spoiler

Even if it's a bet, it still require wisdom and knowledge. Qi heng family bet on the wrong horse because they lack of wisdom abd insight, whilst gty chose the right one because his wisdom and insight. 

17 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I actually think the drama version of their relationship is tons better than the book version. We can see their feelings slowly building. Their trust and admiration growing with each meeting. Book really didn't do justice to both these characters. Even after marriage they didn't really trust each other entirely until very near the end.  

5 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

whilst gty chose the right one because his wisdom and insight.

And a whole lot of luck, if I remember it right they both didn't use their real names. So they both don't know who the other person really is.

I think GTY will meet them again and help them in some way.....now that he is on his way to the war.

18 minutes ago, dito said:

I actually think the drama version of their relationship is tons better than the book version. We can see their feelings slowly building. Their trust and admiration growing with each meeting. Book really didn't do justice to both these characters. Even after marriage they didn't really trust each other entirely until very near the end.  

Yeah. I've read earlier about that on the novel too. 

But it seems like because of their childhood meeting, there are most trust between the 2 than with anyone else. 

ESP when ML openly told him about the mom's death, and the fact every family member turned their back on her then. 

It's also quite funny that despite everything, they would always help each other.  

Like how GTY secretly helped her all the way when she was away from the capital, and it was funny when GTY mentioned that she should run now because the ppl after him are here, and her first reaction was "do U want me to help you hold the spear?" :lol:

Not sure how that would help, but she sure tried! 

And how GTY would tell her that he's leaving for the south for battle (which was where she said he should head to to get promoted quicker!) and she quickly wishes him all the best and be careful. 

And they talk in codes too! :D

That's the kind of rapport that I don't see between ML and QH. 

5 minutes ago, dito said:

And a whole lot of luck, if I remember it right they both didn't use their real names. So they both don't know who the other person really is.

I think GTY will meet them again and help them in some way.....now that he is on his way to the war.

Spoiler

In ep 28, the rep of the general xie came to gty house invite him to join him and he agreed to the invitation. He was also given a high position in the troupe. He might be lucky, but without ability and talent, he will not be regarded so high by the general

10 hours ago, m0us3y said:
  Hide contents

Actually, I second @ForgottenSoulx

I think the drum scene was ML trying to save GTY..

I remember watching that too.. There was a scene that ML knocking on the drum, with the background voiceover saying she's here for the husband (or something along the line), and another scene, with her dressed as GTY wife, was visiting GTY in jail? 

It didn't show his full face, but it looks like GTY alright. Found it. 

It's trailer no.4 in Viki. That's a darn good trailer, showing the other side of ML.

Also wasnt there a scene where GTY, as a foot soldier and ML sending him off? I was thinking could it be the "punishment" after he got released from prison. 

Spoiler

Rewatching the trailer it seems so. I don’t find this a good change because in the book one of the best parts was them being at the top  and fighting from the top. I guess it would be a way to show her fighting for him, protecting him but I liked he was loved by the Emperor.

10 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

In ep 28, the rep of the general xie came to gty house invite him to join him and he agreed to the invitation. He was also given a high position in the troupe. He might be lucky, but without ability and talent, he will not be regarded so high by the general

So it was the general he saved that invited him to join his army? 

I thought it was his old useless general. Lol

So he actually ditched his old general after saving ML the second time?

Archived