[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

9 hours ago, gleek49 said:

It's the polo match, it's a public event, everyone knows. Maybe not everyone knows that QH loves ML, but the inner circle can definitely connect the dots. That Wang Fei only needs to investigate a little to figure it out. 

QH should have never played that match with ML. Jia Cheng princess would probably never have liked him and his love to ML would have still been some sort of a secret.

But if QH didn't help ML at the polo match and ML lost (YR lost her mother's hairpin) then people gonna criticize QH for being a chicken (can't stand up and help ML in need) and people gonna say, this is nothing compared dealing with your mum and you still can't do anything, etc, so this drama favour GTY for ML, no matter how many sacrifice QH made for ML, it always end up zero, but no matter how bad GTY is, he always get/achieve something so he can be the perfect match for ML

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

Imo, QH is just being naive thinking ML’s lower status was not going to be huge impact on him and his family as some people marry below their status. He mentioned to his parents that ML cannot be considered concubine-born being raised by her grandmom and both her father and brother are educated and have lots of future potential though they do not have noble title. He is not being selfish, inconsiderate or not understanding ML's circumstances or weak for begging his parents to approve his marriage to ML as this is the only way he know and can do in order to be with ML given the society at that time and his circumstances. In his mind, he needs to at least try to voice his feelings to be with ML and he believed he will succeed in persuading his parents as he is the only son who has always been filial to them, his parents love him dearly, he does not need his wife family's help to further promote his status, and ML being the only girl he likes and close to for many years. It is similar to interracial marriages most Asian parents do not agree to in these days. There are Asian guys and girls who married their gf/ bf from different ethnic groups despite their parents not approving and not talking to their spouses. Are they being selfish to their spouses for putting them in awkward situation and giving emotional baggage for not being able to attend his side of family's functions?  There are interracial marriages which did not get parental blessings even after kids were born. Should they have given up their relationships instead of getting married since their parents didn't approve of or talk to their significance others? 

Reveal hidden contents

in today's epi 28, he realized he was being naive of his circumstances and he has no control over or right to decide whom to marry being the most suitable bachelor in the capital.  It has been shown that QH gave up ML not because he realized that they cannot be together due to differences in their status or his mom disagreement but he was threatened with his father's safety, the live of ML and the livelihood of ML's family by Yong Wang Fei. He did not dare to get help from GTY and follow his suggestions of kinapping Yong Wang’s daughter and kept her hidden as emperor being sick and Yong Wang becoming the most powerful prince with possibility of being the next emperor. GTY critized QH that he was hesitating too much instead of rebelling and doing what makes him happy. However, I did not agree with GTY and agreed with QH’s decision to let go of ML. It matches his character and personality of being a gentleman who is considerate of others above his own feelings. There are many uncertainties and risks involved including lives of ML, her family, her relatives as well as his family and relatives by kinapping county princess even if GTY helped him if Yong Wang became crown prince and later emperor. GTY never gave a damn about any of his family member and used to doing whatever except he was really in shock during the time when his dad was dying and right after his death. Plus, he did not see and face through Yong Wang Fei’s manipulations with QH’s dad and did not see cruelty of Yong Wang Fei with Long second miss LFY. QH was forced to sign marriage agreement to county princess but he could not let anyone know of the actual reason of giving up on ML even to ML. I'm not certain this can be considered his character development as he did not give up on ML due to differences in their status or his fear of ML being in difficult situation after marriage due to his powerful mom. However, it shows that he protected ML in his own way and no longer naive of his and his family standing and circumstances in this dynasty. He was willing to end his life in exchange for his father's release by threatening to kill himself in front of Yong Wang Fei but he gave up on the idea when Wang Fei said that ML will die too after he dies. 

In some people’s opinion, QH's character might seem weaker and weaker compared to GTY by taking this route of being threatened by Yong Wang family. In the book, he married Yong Wang’s daughter being pressured by his mom instead and ML not having any interest in him. 

I understand @Golden Flower QH wasn’t weak but as the only heir for his parents he had do whatever it takes to pro this family. During his era he had no other choices. After all he grew up loved and was given everything he ever needed unlike GTY.  GTY was never loved and was wronged his entire life , so he chose to rebel to find some kind of happiness. 

Watching even the raws shows how much I’m enjoying this show. Can’t  understand a word, but truly enjoyable, and addictive, to watch:wub:

Quick question in regards to episodes 24/25. Why was the registration deed of the prositute so important? I have some ideas, but I’m a little bit muddled in that section. Thanks :blush:

Just looked at Youtube for the upcoming episodes 26 -28 unsubbed but can still get the gist 

Spoiler

GTY and ML speak to each other like friends, as in GTY: Hey you and ML: hey back to you..then some bickering

QHY and ML: their conversations: young love, with lot of longing tinged with impossibility, it breaks the heart  to see their hopes broken

It is also hard to watch QHY as he gets his wake up call, his naivette broken and he begins to see the facts of life (family politics/rules of conduct and expectations) and accept the inevitable. Ming Lan,s first love, her hopes of marriage unfulfilled and her heart also breaks. She was pragmatic enough to know to have a clean break and returned the symbols of promise. 

Question: what does xiucai mean? 

2 hours ago, tomo74 said:

But if QH didn't help ML at the polo match and ML lost (YR lost her mother's hairpin) then people gonna criticize QH for being a chicken (can't stand up and help ML in need) and people gonna say, this is nothing compared dealing with your mum and you still can't do anything, etc, so this drama favour GTY for ML, no matter how many sacrifice QH made for ML, it always end up zero, but no matter how bad GTY is, he always get/achieve something so he can be the perfect match for ML

OK, first, I have to say that I don't like how people use the reason of the guys being the leads/second leads to judge who is more deserving of the girl or that the drama favors one character more than the other. Because imo, the drama put way more work into portraying QH than GTY. QH fail because of his hesitation and indecisiveness, resulted from his sheltered upbringing, which was reasonable, not because the drama force him to be that way.

Second,  I would like to respectfully disagree with your opinion, that GTY get the girls because that drama wanted him to. You're making it sound like GTY has no redeeming qualities, not as good of a man as QH and the only reason he gets the girl is because of his male lead status? I'm sorry no one is better than the other, the drama does not try to make this man looks better than the other one. GTY is right for her not necessarily because he's a better man, but due to a combination of his personality, his circumstances and his timing; not because he's the best man in the world, but because he's the most suitable one for her. That's why he gets the girl; and getting the girl is what makes him the male lead, not the other way around.

Regarding the polo match, QH was not the only male person there, if he didn't help her, no one would've singled him out to judge. I haven't seen any other male presented there that day being criticized for not helping her, not even her brother who abandon her middle of the match. If he didn't play, he would have been like any other male who were there that day, no better, no worse. By doing that, he only made their relationship a public topic of gossip and speculation and put a target on her back. QH himself even said to ML that he did not play to help Yanran win the pin back, he played it for her.

Omg Chingu's  , ( by the way how do u say friends in chinese????   I found this  CLIP it is so amazingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg  I am dying to see this  PLease check it ouuuuuuuuuu  LOL LOL 

I don't know if it is SPOILER so I will put in in tag 

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

OK, first, I have to say that I don't like how people use the reason of the guys being the leads/second leads to judge who is more deserving of the girl or that the drama favors one character more than the other. Because imo, the drama put way more work into portraying QH than GTY. QH fail because of his hesitation and indecisiveness, resulted from his sheltered upbringing, which was reasonable, not because the drama force him to be that way.

Second,  I would like to respectfully disagree with your opinion, that GTY get the girls because that drama wanted him to. You're making it sound like GTY has no redeeming qualities, not as good of a man as QH and the only reason he gets the girl is because of his male lead status? I'm sorry no one is better than the other, the drama does not try to make this man looks better than the other one. GTY is right for her not necessarily because he's a better man, but due to a combination of his personality, his circumstances and his timing; not because he's the best man in the world, but because he's the most suitable one for her. That's why he gets the girl; and getting the girl is what makes him the male lead, not the other way around.

Regarding the polo match, QH was not the only male person there, if he didn't help her, no one would've singled him out to judge. I haven't seen any other male presented there that day being criticized for not helping her, not even her brother who abandon her middle of the match. If he didn't play, he would have been like any other male who were there that day, no better, no worse. By doing that, he only made their relationship a public topic of gossip and speculation and put a target on her back. QH himself even said to ML that he did not play to help Yanran win the pin back, he played it for her.

About the polo match i agree with you. Actually molan's mother in law to be wanted to play with ML but QH volunteered. So, there is no issue of someone was not helping ML. 

Regarding gty suitability, he has what it takes to win ML and he was caring and generous enough to offer to help QH to be to be with ML. Alas, as it was pointed out by our fellow soompier, he has too many on his plate at that time and lost the opportunity. That lost chance will be his forever regret for the lifetime. 

37 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

I understood your opinion, I'll have to say, the script (story, book or drama) make QH like this and GTY like that, because we are watching drama, people made the story (it might be different if this is in a real world, real people, no one knows the future) and only in drama we know the end story that QH is not suitable for ML, because the script choose GTY for ML, if they chose QH, they can easily changed his story eg: his mother finally chose her son's happiness over family security, GTY got kill during war (since he's in army), etc 

And if QH didn't help ML and no one will judge him?, in previous comment, many people call him sissy, no backbone, etc, I believe, people will judge him eventually.

And when he said, I played for you, it's understandable since he's trying to win her heart, he made sure that ML knows his intention, it's because of her not YR

Ep 28 is so hard to watch.  QH is no match to the scheming & cunning in law. He was practically being blackmailed to marry the princess. The mother is stupid to think her daughter would be happy being married to a forced guy. 

But like GTY said to QH ... hé could have tit for tat with that royalty. As he pointed out QH lead a very sheltered life and he didn't think using devious method is the right way to solve the problem.  GTY was also right that QH could have married ML long time ago with his parents approval if he know's how to play his cards right. 

GTY even offered to kidnapped the Princess for QH and will take the blame for everything if anything happens.  QH I think didn't dare to take the risk and ruin everyone. GTY made QH realised that how things turned out this way is all his own fault. He could have fought cunningly and smartly. Everything would be alright.

This ep is so sad and a rude awakening for QH. He grew up overnight. His beloved servant die in front of him. His mother is so hard & cruel to her only n most beloved son. 

QH is such a sad character in the story. He was never his own man. He is owned by his mom and family and later his wife. His life was always run by people. His only 1 happiness in life is ML and his man servant. Both taken from him cruelly by his mom and his scheming wife family. 

I guess by marrying his grandson with ML granddaughter is his way of fulfilling his un-fulfilled life time wish to marry ML.

21 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

I understood your opinion, I'll have to say, the script (story, book or drama) make QH like this and GTY like that, because we are watching drama, people made the story (it might be different if this is in a real world, real people, no one knows the future) and only in drama we know the end story that QH is not suitable for ML, because the script choose GTY for ML, if they chose QH, they can easily changed his story eg: his mother finally chose her son's happiness over family security, GTY got kill during war (since he's in army), etc 

And if QH didn't help ML and no one will judge him?, in previous comment, many people call him sissy, no backbone, etc, I believe, people will judge him eventually.

And when he said, I played for you, it's understandable since he's trying to win her heart, he made sure that ML knows his intention, it's because of her not YR

People call QH out on him having no backbone is from his way of dealing with his parents disapproval, not because of him helping her in the polo match or not. If he didn't help her there, the audience would have understood that he was being considerate of her reputation, not calling him a sissy. No one was asking him for help, Madam Wu was going to help her anyway, he's the one who insisted on helping while she refused. I'm not trying to find fault on him here, but I think his action in the polo match was a bit short-sighted. He was not doing anything horrible, only focusing on being her knight in shining armor, trying to show her his affection; but he obviously didn't think far enough on the consequences, how his public display of affection could hurt her. Sure, he couldn't have predicted the crazy Yong Wang family, but he should've at least knew playing polo closely with a outside male would hurt her reputation, make people notice their relationship and anger his mom.

I have watched ep 28 and I think there is simply no more options for QH family. QH just have no options left.

I felt that if we view the matter from a political perspective, QH family was simply too weak to fight against the other party. Like what QH's mother said, other than their family, the entire Qi family was in ruins. QH father did not hold any actual position for power. QH family may seemed as prosperous with close links to the Emperor, but I think their family in actual had no real power in the political landscape.  I actually sympathized with Qh's mother , doing all she could to sustain and keep her family intact. QH had failed to see the harsh reality that his family was in. Besides I think GTY made the right comparison that QH was Ming Huang. I do not believe that QH will actually sacrifice his family honor for ML.  

In addition, Yong Wang is seemed as the prospective Emperor, and if QH had refused to marry the princess, it would deemed as undermining the power of prospective emperor and I believed they would go all out to harm QH father for the sake of optics. Especially when the backdrop of the situation was that the current emperor have no direct heirs and he's selecting the heir. All the more his Yong wang will ensure that the princess gets to marry QH. It is actually a show of his actual power.  By marrying Qh whom's family appeared to be close to the current emperor,  all the more Yong Wang is showing to the whole country that he is the heir apparent to the throne. To conclude,  the princess, ML, QH are all sacrificial items in this political fight. It is a tragedy for QH and I guess a call for him to look at the harsh reality for he has been sheltered all his life. 

@zenya22 @leeza77

My comment on the drama not doing a good job in explaining and potraying well was only related to “certain important societal norms and certain conducts expected of women from different status during that time in Song Dynasty”. 

I’m not saying about poetic/historical references or Chinese traditions and cultural nuisances that non-native cannot grasp. I'm also not on anyships or fan of any actors in this drama or dislikes for anyone. I did expect good consistent script and drama flow since writers are from Battle of Changsha which was great family drama (I watched it accidentally and it was out of my expectation though being set in period of Sino-Japanese war, a genre which I really don’t watch) and Newlight is Production company of NIF I & II. So, obviously, I’m a little bit disappointed. 

Yes, of course, comments/ answers from posters from this thread is very helpful and necessary for close to fully understanding the drama. That’s why I read most of the posts here since drama started to make sure my understanding was right as I’m non-native speaker, and grew up in totally different culture though my mandarin reading and listening skill can be considered intermediate. (I actually improved my mandarin from watching Chinese drama past 7 years). 

I’m referring to script inconsistencies from scene to scene as well as a few scenes with overall theme in regarding to potraying those basic societal norms since they are groundwork of this family drama. 
First eg, I was comfused on why GTY was so angry and accusing ML for destroying his marriage with Yanran (YR) at the desert store since he wasn't supposed to know it was ML who had confrontation with Maniang on behalf of YR. So, how did GTY find out??? MN did not know ML's name or she wasn't from Yu family and MN would not tell GTY that she went to Yu's house. Before that scene, there was a scene where ML was reprimanded verbally by grandma for confronting MN on behalf of YR as granny was worried that her reputation will be ruined as it will be seen as improper conduct for unmarried shu daughter like ML. ML told GM that she dared to confront MN as nobody will know she was the one who had face-off with MN as Yu family would have kept MN's visit as secret (which they did by not mentioning even having marriage proposal from GTY for YR), YR and her grandparents are moving back to their hometown and MN didn't know who she was. 
Woman's reputation, conducts and virtues were one of the main focus of the story, emphasizing that they effect not only her but also her sisters and her maternal family. ML, grandma and Kong Momo have been shown talking about the importance of these conducts a few times. So, why did drama show that GTY know it was ML who prevented his marriage and how did he even manage to find out when Yu family and ML have been deligent in hiding that fact??? To me, this whole scene is out of place. 

Spoiler

In the book, GTY did not know ML’s involvement, he was angry at YR’s grandfather for denying his marriage proposal by saying he forgot about YR’s former verbal proposal from his friend’s grandson. He was just asking ML what was the issue since she is close friend of YR. Then, ML told him about MN’s visit to Yu’s house and YR’s grandfather throwing up blood because of that. 

I know the later part of this scene where GTY and ML cat fight was some of your favorite scene. 

Another eg is the differences in status of woman (main wife, concubine, di vs shu daughters) in this society as one of the main foundations of story. 

(1) the drama let ML manages the house when she gained her own courtyard. 

This act is opposing from main foundation of story which is differences in woman's status. The chance of shu daughter managing government official household in the capital is none in that time period. If it is possible for shu daughter to have this status, why is the drama and book making a big deal about ML needing to be reserved and cautious in nature since she is shu daughter, QH's mom and other characters in drama looking down on her because she is shu born and she can't be with QH because she was shu born. In the book, she just gained her own courtyard and showed her ability to dispose spies from LYN and WS with the help of their own hands like in the drama. Basically, she does not need to be managing the house by herself in order to show her smarts, her growth and her having hands-on experience in managing household to be realistic for her managing General’s house and Marquess Gu house later. They could have made ML helping grandmom or WS. 

Spoiler

(2) the conflict in Sheng’s house aroused from SH favoring LYN over main wife. Even a lot of posters are saying how annoying it is for father SH to continually favor Lin Yinaing even after he was told by grandma not to favor her anymore after the death of ML’s mom as it can effect family reputation as well as his reputation as official (as well as after Kong Momo reminded him of the importance of concubine knowing her place and its negative effect on family structure and reputation). They could have shown SH less favoring LYN like in the book or tone it down since it is impossible to be favoring concubine over the main wife in the capital  being governmental official. 

In the book, SH did favors a lot less to Lin Yiniang after listening to grandmom words when ML’s mom died and Kong Momo’s reminder of effecting his officialdom for favoring concubine over main wife, he became more respectful to big madam (WS), and reprimands LYN greatly when she cause ruckus or did not know her place. He even removed Molan from her courtyard and let her move into WS’s courtyard when he realized that Molan conducts becoming improper under her guidance (forgot exact cause). Unlike in the drama, he did not let the girls go back to Master Zhaung’s class at all even after LYN begged him many times. He was really pissed at LYN and even slapped her when she persuades him to talk to Duke Qi family for Molan’s marriage continuously even after he told her it is improper.  In the drama, he was still going to her room even after she committed a big crime of selling properties.    

1 hour ago, tomo74 said:

Its not modern times you know.... where you can help your crush whenever you want. That period didn't allow that freedom. Liang Mama was all ready to help ML. QH hadn't even offered yet so all he should have done was stay silent. But QH jumped in without a thought. He arranged this whole polo thing so he could meet ML openly. He invited everyone....he should have thought about what kind of people were present there. He should have known what kind of consequences his actions would bring for ML.

QH being criticized is because of the way he helped her, which brought all the unwanted attention on ML. Before this no one, other than few close people, even knew he had feelings for ML and so no one could have threatened her life or used her as a threat against him. His helping her actually put her life in danger.

GTY, too helps ML as we saw in recent episodes. But he does it in a way that it doesn't attract attention on ML. Yes, it may also be coz he has a bad rep. in the society....but I still think he would never be so free with his actions as to not care about the consequences for an unmarried girl. He knows his help would only bring questions about his intentions. The society would pay attention to his goodwill...and make the girl fodder for gossip. So he chooses to help in a round about way. Just look at how he helped Yanran. He could have simply won the hair pin and presented it to her. Maybe earn a few points before he sent his proposal....but he let ML win it. Helping ML go home safely, escorting her in secret....so that no one unwanted attention come on her.....and no questions on her virtue.   

The drama has actually leveled the playing field in terms of main lead and second lead by giving them equal narrative space and development. If the drama had followed book's pattern...we'd be getting introduced to GTY character properly right about now. And QH would not be getting any screen time after epi 20 coz he kind of disappeared after ML rejected him. 

Yes this drama pronounced GTY's goodness. Coz they need to show us his connection to ML early on. And that he is a good person,  So we get more scenes of GTY doing good early on.

About changing the lead to QH...well, they could do that. But that will make this story no different from all the others. Girl and boy meet as children ...fall in love.....carry their pure love to adulthood , face objections from boys rich family....stubbornly reject their parents intentions.....and after whole lot of tears we get a happily ever after....that would not be even possible in those days.

I'm really tired of all these childhood sweetheart storylines....modern or historicals.....both have done it to death.

The reason we all watch a drama is to see something special....for me this story is doing that very well.  

1 hour ago, thelonetraveller_18 said:

I have watched ep 28 and I think there is simply no more options for QH family. QH just have no options left.

I felt that if we view the matter from a political perspective, QH family was simply too weak to fight against the other party. Like what QH's mother said, other than their family, the entire Qi family was in ruins. QH father did not hold any actual position for power. QH family may seemed as prosperous with close links to the Emperor, but I think their family in actual had no real power in the political landscape.  I actually sympathized with Qh's mother , doing all she could to sustain and keep her family intact. QH had failed to see the harsh reality that his family was in. Besides I think GTY made the right comparison that QH was Ming Huang. I do not believe that QH will actually sacrifice his family honor for ML.  

In addition, Yong Wang is seemed as the prospective Emperor, and if QH had refused to marry the princess, it would deemed as undermining the power of prospective emperor and I believed they would go all out to harm QH father for the sake of optics. Especially when the backdrop of the situation was that the current emperor have no direct heirs and he's selecting the heir. All the more his Yong wang will ensure that the princess gets to marry QH. It is actually a show of his actual power.  By marrying Qh whom's family appeared to be close to the current emperor,  all the more Yong Wang is showing to the whole country that he is the heir apparent to the throne. To conclude,  the princess, ML, QH are all sacrificial items in this political fight. It is a tragedy for QH and I guess a call for him to look at the harsh reality for he has been sheltered all his life. 

I agree. I think the mother should not have shielded QHY too much and prepared and trusted her son to be able view and accept the harsh realities of their family situation. Maybe he would not have promised ML to make her his first wife. Now he is shocked into reality painfully. He not only lost ML, but his man servant who is like his brother who has been with him since childhood and marry the princess for the sake of his family. I think breaking off of first love or unrequited first loves are painful. I am afraid if his family bet on the wrong horse  what will happen to them. 

23 minutes ago, dito said:

About changing the lead to QH...well, they could do that. But that will make this story no different from all the others. Girl and boy meet as children ...fall in love.....carry their pure love to adulthood , face objections from boys rich family....stubbornly reject their parents intentions.....and after whole lot of tears we get a happily ever after....that would not be even possible in those days.

I'm really tired of all these childhood sweetheart storylines....modern or historicals.....both have done it to death.

The reason we all watch a drama is to see something special....for me this story is doing that very well.  

Sorry I had to cut your post. This is just too hilarious! 

Because that was exactly what I was thinking when QH shows his affection for ML. 

Rich privileged boy, with poor (lower status) girl. If they get together, this will be like typical kdrama! Fought the odds, a bucket of tears, and then finally they get together. Or if they make it a bad ending, one of them ends up dying from some sickness, and the other mourn for his loved one ever after. :lol:

And I was thinking so for once it's more realistic whereby they show the impossible, and why it's not practical, and the grow from the experience, and move on! 

So your post just hit the jackpot to me! :lol:

2 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Omg Chingu's  , ( by the way how do u say friends in chinese????   I found this  CLIP it is so amazingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg  I am dying to see this  PLease check it ouuuuuuuuuu  LOL LOL 

I don't know if it is SPOILER so I will put in in tag 

Hide contents

Spoiler

His smile is just so beautiful he seems so in love ;p 

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:

About the polo match i agree with you. Actually molan's mother in law to be wanted to play with ML but QH volunteered. So, there is no issue of someone was not helping ML. 

Regarding gty suitability, he has what it takes to win ML and he was caring and generous enough to offer to help QH to be to be with ML. Alas, as it was pointed out by our fellow soompier, he has too many on his plate at that time and lost the opportunity. That lost chance will be his forever regret for the lifetime. 

As much as i like QH helping ML at polo would have loved to see the mother in law help QH two bad richard simmons female's winning xd 

2 hours ago, tomo74 said:

I dont think anyone would have really called him out for not doing the polo when someone was about to help ML , people are saying he has no backbone for other reasons. 

Archived