[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

@zenya22 :lol: Honestly, QYH attitude is exactly what his mother wants.... There is such a thing as parents not wanting their kids to be independent from them. His way of trying to persuade her in her eyes was better than GTY unruly nature. She was waiting to take the matters in her own hand to make the clear break for them and the time came. Though her method will cause a little mistrust to her son she needed to do it where there are witness and the two of them. This is why being direct is not something they do. They have to have an alternate meaning. When his mom talked about CB wedding she was clever in making him think that she agreed but it was only to visit the party so it was his fault for misunderstanding and can’t blame his mother later on. 

If I were Minglan I can’t imagine how awkward and humiliated I would be in that situation knowing also my trusted maid and granny is watching. I probably would’ve shed tears right there for making a fool of myself believing the impossible when I was the one who kept telling QYH to give up... 

I mean its clever until he finds out and hates you lmfao and he will still blame his mum for tricking him which she did. 

16 minutes ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

Anyone know if In the end grandma was proud and happy for ML’s marriage? Did grandma come to accept GTY? 

I dont think she was happy at the start i mean neither was ML when you look at GTY past. 

35 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

So, that is mama, controlling. I am not talking about unruly. I am talking about being mature, honorable and unselfish as in thinking about and being considerate of the woman you love and as a person in general. If that is what the princess wants, a sissy son, then poor woman whomever her son marries and poor QH because ML who is already mature and responsible would have left him in the dust and married someone else more deserving. I like QH a lot, he is a beautiful person, but he needs to break from his mother's control one way or the other and grow up. Study, pass the exam, concentrate on his career, go to the army or do whatever he wants and needs to do to be his own man. Can't be a mama's boy forever. Claim his independence .... boy 

I made the example of GTY like his mother did because the way he tried to persuade him was his only option. His mom seems to wear the pants in the house and he can only be but a mamas boy. Even though his dad was trying to meditate the situation. It’s clear the mom has final say who he will marry... Even if he did matured and redeemed himself worthy he would just be even more in demand to the other high rank daughters. Either way his mother still wouldn’t choose Minglan that is why he wager on passing the exam in exchange to have her wed first but that was futile. Also the acceptance of marriage from the family is important even if he breaks free from the control of his mother he still needs to receive his parents blessings. That’s why it’s so complicated. 

But like you said he is still immature but sadly even though he followed suit to his moms liking he still held her in his heart. 

QYH is the pretty boy type I laughed the thought of him going in army. :lol: 

7 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I mean its clever until he finds out and hates you lmfao and he will still blame his mum for tricking him which she did. 

I dont think she was happy at the start i mean neither was ML when you look at GTY past. 

But he didn’t. He is a sweet child and can’t take it to heart to blame his mother. He knows his parents wants the best for the whole family... That’s why when he apologized to Minglan he said he didn’t want to talk badly of his mom but blamed himself. :cookie:

1 hour ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

In regards to GTY, where are his wealth from his mother side? Thought he has some land and shops or something in his own name? DI'd his mistress sold it all off?

:blink:

Did his older brother eventually die in the book?

Did he get revenge on his step mom in the book?

I wanna know about older brother and step mom as well.

7 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

But he didn’t. He is a sweet child and can’t take it to heart to blame his mother. He knows his parents wants the best for the whole family... That’s why when he apologized to Minglan he said he didn’t want to talk badly of his mom but blamed himself. :cookie:

Spoiler

Actually he keeps him self in the room for like 5 month's and barely eat's so he does blame his mother. 

2 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

In regards to GTY, where are his wealth from his mother side? Thought he has some land and shops or something in his own name? DI'd his mistress sold it all off?

Spoiler

From the spoilers I read, GTY was going to let the Gu family name be destroyed as revenge (the Gu family was going to be labeled as traitors or something) but his brother gives him a copy of the father’s will and changes GTY’s mind about ruining the family name, convince him cause of history of military family service and how GTY got to his status...He dies later so GTY inherits the Marquis title. 

It seems GTY slowly plots revenge on the Gu family in calculating ways. Didn’t see all the details but I’m imagining it’ll be clever like what ML did with the spy maids but much crueler. Stepmom eventually gets her karma.

if someone has the details, I would like know it too.

39 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

I made the example of GTY like his mother did because the way he tried to persuade him was his only option. His mom seems to wear the pants in the house and he can only be but a mamas boy. Even though his dad was trying to meditate the situation. It’s clear the mom has final say who he will marry... Even if he did matured and redeemed himself worthy he would just be even more in demand to the other high rank daughters. Either way his mother still wouldn’t choose Minglan that is why he wager on passing the exam in exchange to have her wed first but that was futile. Also the acceptance of marriage from the family is important even if he breaks free from the control of his mother he still needs to receive his parents blessings. That’s why it’s so complicated. 

But like you said he is still immature but sadly even though he followed suit to his moms liking he still held her in his heart. 

QYH is the pretty boy type I laughed the thought of him going in army. :lol: 

Then it is much more important for him to not have a pants wearing contest with his mother. He thinks that going through his mother is his only option. Maturity would have given him self awareness, patience and forbearance as well as intelligence to know that there are other more feasible choices and still get his family involved. Like I said, maybe a heartbreak will help him to mature and whether he marries ML or not he would have learned self responsibility. 

Watching the episode in subs gives me a better understanding of what's going on. I'm waiting for sub on ep 23 & 24. Can't understand the battle part where GTY lead the soldiers and took over the enemy I think. Not sure the general who came out is good or bad. 

So he joined the army as an ordinary man hiding his title.

Did he ever meet the 2 general whom he rescued again?

23 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

Then it is much more important for him to not have a pants wearing contest with his mother. He thinks that going through his mother is his only option. Maturity would have given him self awareness, patience and forbearance as well as intelligence to know that there are other more feasible choices and still get his family involved. Like I said, maybe a heartbreak will help him to mature and whether he marries ML or not he would have learned self responsibility. 

Other more feasible choices, as in marriageable choices? :lol: GTY was able to scheme to marry Minglan we know his character can have the audacity to do so but even if QYH acquires that maturity it’ll be out of character of him to start plotting against his mother unless this some twist in novel and he becomes evil. He’s already at age of marriage and his mother will be pushing for it. Minglan can’t wait forever. All he can do is give up and mature that way until there was a chance again.

24 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Other more feasible choices, as in marriageable choices? :lol: GTY was able to scheme to marry Minglan we know his character can have the audacity to do so but even if QYH acquires that maturity it’ll be out of character of him to start plotting against his mother unless this some twist in novel and he becomes evil. He’s already at age of marriage and his mother will be pushing for it. Minglan can’t wait forever. All he can do is give up and mature that way until there was a chance again.

I never said plotting, that would still be immature. GTY is GTY, QH is QH I am not even comparing them. I am only talking about QH. Feasible choice: as you said here is give up and mature until there was a chance. Exactly. That is what I mean. 

3 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

That was the novel yeah? Cuz from trailers it seemed like ML was happy with the marriage? 

There were a few scenes, which I assumed is before marriage (because she seems to have a diff hairstyle after marriage) that they seem to have mutual feelings? 

10 hours ago, hello210 said:

One of the princess's (not Emperor's child but Royal blood) was quite blatant with her admiration for Qi Heng and the 1st wife arranged for her carriage to be ambushed, everyone except her killed and have her raped. That princess's father was the 4th prince's faction hence why he raped and killed Qi Heng's first wife and first wife's mother during the rebellion.

Qi Heng was super sad now and was complaining to his mother that she knows his heart but refuses to give him the match he wants. His mother replies that since the 8th prince is becoming Emperor now and they are sort of related to the 6th prince they are under pressure from his father's rivals and his marriage is even more important to secure alliances. He understands but is still sad and cries into his mother's arms.

Man... QH's first wife was total psycho....I did not get that at all from the GT....I did understand that she caused the death of that princess and her father used the revolt to takes his revenge. But I thought she was connected to 4th Prince and thats why got killed during the purge.

Anyways, Yes that was the scene I was talking about. Maybe before talking to QH his mom and dad had that conversation. His mom also told his father why QH's wife caused that princess's death.....and that QH was partly to blame. He used to go stand outside some place waiting to look at ML....after ML spotted him she changed her exit route. Thats where QH's wife saw the princess and thought he was coming to look at her. 

10 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

That was the novel yeah? Cuz from trailers it seemed like ML was happy with the marriage? 

There were a few scenes, which I assumed is before marriage (because she seems to have a diff hairstyle after marriage) that they seem to have mutual feelings? 

I have the same feeling. She seems happy.

Spoiler

However their main sl as a couple in the novel is to learn how to love completely. Mostly ml, but even gty. So I don’t know if the show can make her having feelings so soon. It would change a lot. Maybe she is just happy he is someone she respects. I wonder when they starts the courtship or the tricking part.

Hello everyone wow wow wow 

Just finished watching episode 19- 21with subs. Viki does a great job subbing but I decided to wait some until they are finished completely because sometimes there some words that don’t get translated until later. 

I say again so amazed. 

@zenya22  The people GYt saved are in the picture.  Zhao Ceying and his father was saved by Bai He. Since he goes by that name I will call him that... :D:D

wlooBcRKV5z0qLnY6JX0hZqR_De69YqA3F-IRJY6

5 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

Finished watching episode 21-22. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry! :unsure: QYH mom is a great example of leading a man with full of hopes. LOL I can see that in this episode QYH has touched Minglans heart. But she should’ve known that the proposal was too good to be true even had the granny fooled for a sec. But despite that it opened her eyes that he was really determined and that gave her a bit of hope but now she’ll just leave it to fate.... 

The scene with the bandits got my heart raising Xiaotao was giving me a nervous breakdown. Haha

Cant wait for the next episodes! 

5 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

If anything happens to Xiaotao ill be depressed.. please

I went back to read this scene again in the novel coz i couldn't remember much except ML jumping in the water and GTY saving her.

That scene in the book was so so much better. ML and Xiaotao kicked some bandit butt...

Spoiler

Bandits attacked the boat in front of them first....ML and her maids and others on the boat were watching it happen. ML ordered every light to be extinguished on the boat and ran to the kitchen and got all the knives, heavy pots and pans that could be wielded as a weapon. Then she distributed them to everyone and told them to hide. She took her own maids and hid in the lower level of the boat which had one door and one window. she and Xiaotao and one other maid stood guard at the door. The maids on upper level got caught and told them about ML hiding below. They heard the bandits talking and knew they were discovered. Xiaotao wanted to kill those people for selling them out. When one of the bandits broke through the door....Xiaotao hit him on the head so hard he fell like a log...then other came the next maid hit him on the head...he fell too...third bandit became alert...and came cautiously....ML jumped out and stabbed with the kitchen knife. Then they hid the bodies and jumped out the window. Only later ML found out Xiaotao never jumped in the water but hid behind the boxes and no one even looked because the bandits thought everyone jumped.

I think 2 bandits died. When GTY saved ML and brought her back, he had his people check out the whole boat. He found the bodies and told ML he will take care of it and told her not to say a word to anyone about it. 

That scene showed all of her quick thinking and smarts. ML even had a plan B fully organized. Suppose the bandits didn't find them but set fire to the boat like they did the first one. Then they will tie themselves with ropes to the wooden boxes kept in the lower level and jump out the window.

5 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I wish we had more of CB i really like his character. 

I wished there was more of CB too. He is an awesome brother and friend. @ForgottenSoulx WOW, he even told Bai He, everything that happened to him was a TRAP. I believe Bai He  took the blame because he was blinded  by his stepmom's kindness (fake).  I especially loved what he quoted that described her to a T.  The way every single one of his family were ready to remove him from the genealogy record. I sometimes wondered why didn't they do that??? It's probably because they hope to gain something from his death. That family is so so calculating. 

5 hours ago, hello210 said:

Good imagination :lol: QH really sucked with his timing but then he didn’t learn from his previous attempts at sucking up to his mom (or not very observant). His mom already knows his kissing up attempts so him using her birthday celebration as an opportunity to ask her to propose marriage was not a good idea. I think she was extra cruel because she accused him that he was only doing the nice things for her birthday as a pretense. Poor QH was really duped by his mother’s agreement. 

@hello210  I will be honest with you, I understand why QH's mother was so upset. His gift was so thoughtful but damn she is one smart lady. She knew who he was crushing on. QH's love for ML is so real and he really respect her, he was appalled at the thought of making her his concubine.  Yes his timing was all wrong and I feel bad for him because he is a FOOL IN LOVE. TBH I don't think ML loved him but she does like him, respect him. She was shocked that he did ask his parents about pursuing her ( a concubine daughter) and touched that is why she hold his gift so dearly. He is another person in her life who has shown her they love her besides her grandmother. 

5 hours ago, zenya22 said:

He is young, spoiled and seems not used to hearing the word no...and the reasons for it. It is all about him because if he were thinking maturedly, he would have asked himself the question, how can I be worthy of the woman I love, what can I Qi Heng, offer her and do to make her happy? But it is also the fault of the parents for making everything easy for him. Instead of Mom directly explaining why she can't help QH, she went to indirectly shame the Sheng family and hurt Ming Lan and the grandmother. QH was never taught patience and endurance it seems. 

Sorry for cutting your post.

See the contrast in their personalities. ML is taking the biggest heart breaking decision of her life for him. But QH on the other hand has not even once considered her situation, her future or her reservations with this relationship. Yes she might love him but she does have enough smarts to not give into his persuasion. Coz she knows there is very little chance of his promises getting fulfilled. But because of her feelings she still let him try.....and ended up getting her family and her granny humiliated. 

6 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

How GTY getting his revenge and inherits.from the spoiler site

Spoiler

From when he returned to the capital, the ML was granted a separate residence (General fu) by the Emperor, and that is where he lives with Minglan (after their marriage) all along, apart from the family's main residence (Marquis fu). A bit later, when his family is about to be ruined, the 1st brother asks the ML to petition the Emperor to forgive the family (which is in the ML's power to achieve). In exchange, the brother promises not to adopt a child, so the ML as the old Marquis' 2nd son can inherit safely after the 1st brother dies. He takes him to the ancestral hall NOT to show him a memorial of the ML's mother (it's not true that the ML's father loved her--his one and only great love was his 1st wife) but to show him proof of the family's past glory and their originally bestowed plaque with their title, and to convince him that even his current rank as a general was possible because their family is of illustrious military lineage (which is why the ML could so easily be accepted as commander by his army). Yet if he destroys their family name now, even if the Emperor bestows him a title later, it would be a new title, without the history and weight of their old and famous title. So the ML eventually takes the deal and saves the family from being branded as traitors, then pursues his revenge against the nasty members of his family in other, arguably more insidious ways.

When the ML inherited and the family branches divided the property, he didn't take everything and he didn't have the power to exile his uncles from the start. Nevertheless, his fair share was the greatest (because his was the main branch, and he carried the Marquis title), and the 2 uncles struggled a long time because they didn't want to leave their easy, luxurious life in the Marquis fu and have to strike out on their own, with a smaller budget. They were too used to extravagant living. The ML and his wife managed to kick them out eventually, but the stepmom helped (at that moment, it was also in her interest to get rid of the uncles' 4th and 5th branch), and she and her son stayed with ML's main branch for now, though in separate residences. Of course, the ML is still not done with the uncles' branches at this point as he still has some people to punish more harshly, which he does later.

6 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I wish we had more of CB i really like his character. 

I think we may have more soon....there's going to be political upheaval soon.....

Spoiler

and changbai was about to loose his life but got saved at the last moment. His wife played a major part in keeping that conniving mother daughter pair confined for a while. She also cleaned house and got rid of every spy, every person loyal to Lin niang from the house.

1 hour ago, danatepe said:

How GTY getting his revenge and inherits.from the spoiler site

Reveal hidden contents

From when he returned to the capital, the ML was granted a separate residence (General fu) by the Emperor, and that is where he lives with Minglan (after their marriage) all along, apart from the family's main residence (Marquis fu). A bit later, when his family is about to be ruined, the 1st brother asks the ML to petition the Emperor to forgive the family (which is in the ML's power to achieve). In exchange, the brother promises not to adopt a child, so the ML as the old Marquis' 2nd son can inherit safely after the 1st brother dies. He takes him to the ancestral hall NOT to show him a memorial of the ML's mother (it's not true that the ML's father loved her--his one and only great love was his 1st wife) but to show him proof of the family's past glory and their originally bestowed plaque with their title, and to convince him that even his current rank as a general was possible because their family is of illustrious military lineage (which is why the ML could so easily be accepted as commander by his army). Yet if he destroys their family name now, even if the Emperor bestows him a title later, it would be a new title, without the history and weight of their old and famous title. So the ML eventually takes the deal and saves the family from being branded as traitors, then pursues his revenge against the nasty members of his family in other, arguably more insidious ways.

When the ML inherited and the family branches divided the property, he didn't take everything and he didn't have the power to exile his uncles from the start. Nevertheless, his fair share was the greatest (because his was the main branch, and he carried the Marquis title), and the 2 uncles struggled a long time because they didn't want to leave their easy, luxurious life in the Marquis fu and have to strike out on their own, with a smaller budget. They were too used to extravagant living. The ML and his wife managed to kick them out eventually, but the stepmom helped (at that moment, it was also in her interest to get rid of the uncles' 4th and 5th branch), and she and her son stayed with ML's main branch for now, though in separate residences. Of course, the ML is still not done with the uncles' branches at this point as he still has some people to punish more harshly, which he does later.

@danatepe.... Thanks for that info. I have no idea how happy I am for the news. 

OMG!!! cCan someone please help me... What happened to Bai He's Momo. I haven't seen her since episode 21. Will she make an appearance later on. I really love this character. She is the only person besides Bai He's mom and grandpa who ever gave a damn for Bai He.  She is one smart cookie. SHe followed that witch until  she can find the proof that the evil richard simmons can be ditched. She is so loving to him.  We need her when he finally establish himself and get a wife. 

Archived