Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

I saw funny thing somewhere from the net, people said second brother (WRJ) looks the same like second uncle (FSF) so it makes them confused why this person's name always changing (they dont realise that they are 2 different person) :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

@ditoHaven't watched the latest episodes, but I really don't see how she lead him on other than the knee pads. In the temple, she has already told him as clear as possible: "Do not seek me out, do not look for me, if you see me, don't talk to me, if U need to talk to me, go tell my bro to pass the msg".

How much clearer does she needs to be?

She does like him, which is why she hasn't said that she doesn't like him or doesn't care for him, as I don't think she wants to lie. But she has asked him to stop doing whatever he's doing..

And like @cherubstomato mentioned, while QH could go on his own way doing whatever he feels like, ML is the one that has to pay the price. 

I think @mrsyooknit hit the nail in the head. He's out of touch and unrealistic. And even when she has spell it out for him, he doesn't seem to understand the repercussions of his actions. Not to him, but to her. 

@ForgottenSoulx I think she just didn't wanna lie to him and said she doesn't like him. Because she does. But she has also told him more than once why it's just unrealistic and not feasible. Having feelings for someone isn't the end game. In fact, in their lives, it's not even a primary concern. 

• Like 7

Please just tell me GTY brother and step mother get punished these dogs. 

1 minute ago, m0us3y said:

@ditoHaven't watched the latest episodes, but I really don't see how she lead him on other than the knee pads. In the temple, she has already told him as clear as possible: "Do not seek me out, do not look for me, if you see me, don't talk to me, if U need to talk to me, go tell my bro to pass the msg".

How much clearer does she needs to be?

She does like him, which is why she hasn't said that she doesn't like him or doesn't care for him, as I don't think she wants to lie. But she has asked him to stop doing whatever he's doing..

And like @cherubstomato mentioned, while QH could go on his own way doing whatever he feels like, ML is the one that has to pay the price. 

I think @mrsyooknit hit the nail in the head. He's out of touch and unrealistic. And even when she has spell it out for him, he doesn't seem to understand the repercussions of his actions. Not to him, but to her. 

@ForgottenSoulx I think she just didn't wanna lie to him and said she doesn't like him. Because she does. But she has also told him more than once why it's just unrealistic and not feasible. Having feelings for someone isn't the end game. In fact, in their lives, it's not even a primary concern. 

If you know you cant be with someone and they ask do you have feeling's for me and answer nothing then you clearly leading them on. 

• Like 3

Last few episodes, all the leads facing so much trouble :tears: 

A question for the book readers...

Spoiler

In the drama, QH's mother uses the pearls to have ML become QH's 'sister' thus rejecting any prospect of a marriage between the two. I know in the book, she also does this but when both ML and QH are much younger. So how does QH's mother prevent QH later in the book when QH and ML are older? 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, lilkat75 said:

Last few episodes, all the leads facing so much trouble :tears: 

A question for the book readers...

Hide contents

In the drama, QH's mother uses the pearls to have ML become QH's 'sister' thus rejecting any prospect of a marriage between the two. I know in the book, she also does this but when both ML and QH are much younger. So how does QH's mother prevent QH later in the book when QH and ML are older? 

Spoiler

I think by then ML has already moved on to GTY but i could be wrong. I bet his mother really regret's it later on if only she let him marry ML . 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Please just tell me GTY brother and step mother get punished these dogs. 

If you know you cant be with someone and they ask do you have feeling's for me and answer nothing then you clearly leading them on. 

I think ML do have deep feeling for QH, she just can't say anything since any anwers will be untrue (say no but she do like him, say yes but she know it'll never happen) so she just keep her feeling to herself :dissapointed_relieved:

• Like 5

Finished watching episode 19-20

phewww don’t mess with a mans money haha! One thing led to another and the root cause was Manniang. Her character is just as annoying as Mantou in legend of Dugu played by same actress and she will last for long time and won’t meet her demised yet. Ugh! After all she will have other kids with GTY as someone mentioned. Her stunt running away will make GTY realize the kids needs their mother and he was stupid to tell her about his assets despite momo telling him not to! FACE PALM. Now she will cling on him forever. LOL 

Minglan sending GTY some cakes and porridge was thoughtful of her if she would’ve done the same to QYH he would’ve been barking at her door asking for her babies. Lol

I don’t remember QYH asking Minglan if she had feelings for her but if she did and remained quiet I can see why. It’s a delicate subject either answer will still have a bitter end. I take it as Minglan wants QYH to make the decision himself since he is the one proclaiming his love to her. She doesn’t want to be the decision maker for him and be responsible for anything that might happen to him. She already told him to distance himself it doesn’t matter now whether she does or don’t have feelings for him... He really likes to torture himself? So it’s best to not say anything at all. There’s some things in life that it’s better to not know the answer to. Just as how GTY was obsessed to know if his father ever loved him and his mother. That’s why they say being too smart can cause trouble to a person. When it gets to difficult it’s better to leave things as it is. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

47 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think by then ML has already moved on to GTY but i could be wrong. I bet his mother really regret's it later on if only she let him marry ML . 

Spoiler

To be honest, I think QH’s mom won’t regret it because it doesn’t matter about ML’s abilities if the opportunity isn’t there and within QH’s household, she wouldn’t have that opportunity.  Even though QH’s household currently has high standing, the imperial court is in limbo and in order for them to keep their standing, they need QH to marry someone that comes from a similar or more powerful family. If ML was the daughter of a royal concubine with a powerful father, QH’s mother would probably overlook the concubine born status because of the connection. By the time all of them start getting married, I think the royal faction that QH’s family supports looses power so they really needed his wife to be from a powerful family. 

If we think about it, the only reason why she will have the opportunity to be a leader among women later is because of becoming GTY’s wife, the wife of a powerful general. GTY’s stepmom at that point doesn’t have any hold over him since he knows her true colors (stepmom can only employ tricks that don’t work until the attempted murder) and GTY/ML have their own separate household granted by the emperor. If she had ended up with Doc He, she would just be a normal wife running a simple household. If she married QH, there would really be resentment and more inner court squabbles like Grandma said because her family’s standing is not powerful enough and unlike QTY, QH is not the head of the household so his parents, mainly mom, has the power. QH’s mom would probably push concubines into their relationship if she couldn’t provide kids right away and neither can really fight it if they want to be virtuous and filial. The mother-in-law using concubines to manipulates their son’s marriage is a very common palace trick. In the novel, it took our main couple  a year I think to get prego, and apparently GTY and her got along very well in that department. When his stepmom and Aunt try to push a concubine on ML to provide an heir, GTY put a stop to it since he could care less about the Gu’s opinions. QH wouldn’t be able to go against his mother like that because of being filial and being the only son. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Finished watching episode 19-20

phewww don’t mess with a mans money haha! One thing led to another and the root cause was Manniang. Her character is just as annoying as Mantou in legend of Dugu played by same actress and she will last for long time and won’t meet her demised yet. Ugh! After all she will have other kids with GTY as someone mentioned. Her stunt running away will make GTY realize the kids needs their mother and he was stupid to tell her about his assets despite momo telling him not to! FACE PALM. Now she will cling on him forever. LOL 

Minglan sending GTY some cakes and porridge was thoughtful of her if she would’ve done the same to QYH he would’ve been barking at her door asking for her babies. Lol

Spoiler

Don’t worry, there won’t be anymore kids with Maniang. GTY’s eyes are open now and he won’t touch her again. The only other kids he has are all legitimate born from his one and only love, ML.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

To be honest, I think QH’s mom won’t regret it because it doesn’t matter about ML’s abilities if the opportunity isn’t there and within QH’s household, she wouldn’t have that opportunity.  Even though QH’s household currently has high standing, the imperial court is in limbo and in order for them to keep their standing, they need QH to marry someone that comes from a similar or more powerful family. If ML was the daughter of a royal concubine with a powerful father, QH’s mother would probably overlook the concubine born status because of the connection. By the time all of them start getting married, I think the royal faction that QH’s family supports looses power so they really needed his wife to be from a powerful family. 

If we think about it, the only reason why she will have the opportunity to be a leader among women later is because of becoming GTY’s wife, the wife of a powerful general who’s stepmom at that point doesn’t have any hold over GTY since he knows her true colors (stepmom can only employ tricks that don’t work until the attempted murder) and GTY/ML have their own separate household granted by the emperor. If she had ended up with Doc He, she would just be a normal wife running a simple household. If she married QH, there would really be resentment and more inner court squabbles like Grandma said because her family’s standing is not powerful enough and unlike QTY, QH is not the head of the household so his parents, mainly mom, has the power. QH’s mom would probably push concubines into their relationship if she couldn’t provide kids right away and neither can really fight it if they want to be virtuous and filial. The mother-in-law using concubines to manipulates their son’s marriage is a very common palace trick. In the novel, it took them a year I think, and apparently GTY and her got along very well in that department. When his stepmom and Aunt try to push a concubine on ML to provide an heir, GTY put a stop to it since he could care less about the Gu’s opinions. QH wouldn’t be able to go against his mother like that because of being filial and being the only son. 

Spoiler

If you know how QH's life goes in the book then His mom will definitely regret it. He will have a pitiful life compared to what it could have been with GTY. Also she becomes leader among the women due to who she is not simply due to marrying GTY sure his status help's but she does good stuff also.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

Don’t worry, there won’t be anymore kids with Maniang. GTY’s eyes are open now and he won’t touch her again. The only other kids he has are all legitimate born from his one and only. 

Thank you I forgot it is not Manniang but the other main wife....

saw the spoilers for episode 23-24 I must say FSF looks better with beard and mustache lol 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

5 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Thank you I forgot it is not Manniang but the other main wife....

saw the spoilers for episode 23-24 I must say FSF looks better with beard and mustache lol 

Spoiler

Sorry, I edited it to say ML... the first wife got pregnant from an affair with his cousin and died from miscarriage so no kids with GTY.

Hahaha...ML almost didn’t recognize GTY because of the beard.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

2 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Hide contents

If you know how QH's life goes in the book then His mom will definitely regret it. He will have a pitiful life compared to what it could have been with GTY. Also she becomes leader among the women due to who she is not simply due to marrying GTY sure his status help's but she does good stuff also.

This is where it becomes an alternate route. I doubt that QYH would’ve been as great influencial man like GTY this is why I agree with @hello210 that she was able to become a leader amongst woman due to being with GTY. Because with him she is a free bird. But if she was with QYH from the get go her MIL would think she is a tramp for trying to get his son after all when you’re low status they won’t think about true love or true happiness only think that she is trying to become a Phoenix. So there would be little room for her to shine by QYH side. She would all over again just try to survive the courtyard... :( 

But an alternate route I don’t mind for Minglan is with the Doctor. Because he will treat her as his equal as well based on how he views woman. He will sincerely respect Minglan if she were his wife. But of course they won’t happen. Lol

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Sorry, I edited it to say ML... the first wife got pregnant from an affair with his cousin and died from miscarriage so no kids with GTY.

Hahaha...ML almost didn’t recognize GTY because of the beard.

I hope this other wife does not happen

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

If we think about it, the only reason why she will have the opportunity to be a leader among women later is because of becoming GTY’s wife, the wife of a powerful general. GTY’s stepmom at that point doesn’t have any hold over him since he knows her true colors (stepmom can only employ tricks that don’t work until the attempted murder) and GTY/ML have their own separate household granted by the emperor. If she had ended up with Doc He, she would just be a normal wife running a simple household. If she married QH, there would really be resentment and more inner court squabbles like Grandma said because her family’s standing is not powerful enough and unlike QTY, QH is not the head of the household so his parents, mainly mom, has the power. QH’s mom would probably push concubines into their relationship if she couldn’t provide kids right away and neither can really fight it if they want to be virtuous and filial. The mother-in-law using concubines to manipulates their son’s marriage is a very common palace trick. In the novel, it took our main couple  a year I think to get prego, and apparently GTY and her got along very well in that department. When his stepmom and Aunt try to push a concubine on ML to provide an heir, GTY put a stop to it since he could care less about the Gu’s opinions. QH wouldn’t be able to go against his mother like that because of being filial and being the only son. 

Um... right now, they don't know if GTY will have a good future (we know since it's only drama), if you live in that time, you wont choose GTY either (at this moment), bad reputation, expelled from his family, has 2 kids with bad women, not future job, and he is rough, that's why during the argument, ML said I won't marry you, I better become a nun or monk.

And we can't blame QH's mum, as a mother she wants his precious son to have a good wife with similar status level (not a gold digger like manniang) and ML's status failed her

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

This is where it becomes an alternate route. I doubt that QYH would’ve been as great influencial man like GTY this is why I agree with @hello210 that she was able to become a leader amongst woman due to being with GTY. Because with him she is a free bird. But if she was with QYH from the get go her MIL would think she is a tramp for trying to get his son after all when you’re low status they won’t think about true love or true happiness only think that she is trying to become a Phoenix. So there would be little room for her to shine by QYH side. She would all over again just try to survive the courtyard... :( 

But an alternate route I don’t mind for Minglan is with the Doctor. Because he will treat her as his equal as well based on how he views woman. He will sincerely respect Minglan if she were his wife. But of course they won’t happen. Lol

Even he hongwen (the doc) also has 

Spoiler

Even he hongwen (the doc) also has his entanglement. Which is his cousin who was so in love with him and wanted to be in with him. So, even simple guy was not so simple. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, cherubstomato said:

That’s my thoughts too on how it would be if she had married Doc He. No powerful position, but more peaceful and mutual respect like Grandma expected. I really try to look at it based on the time period. And in that time period women only had the opportunities granted to them by their positions in marriage and the household which is why Molan tried so hard to get QH and then 6th Liang son due to her delusions of marrying a noble. Another alternate route if 6th Liang son’s mom had her way, her son would marry ML cause she really liked her.

Spoiler

And unlike what Molan will have to go through, I bet since Madame Liang liked ML, she would back her up if a concubine tried to overstep her place. However since she doesn’t like Molan, Molan will end up like Da Niang due to a favored concubine.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

Um... right now, they don't know if GTY will have a good future (we know since it's only drama), if you live in that time, you wont choose GTY either (at this moment), bad reputation, expelled from his family, has 2 kids with bad women, not future job, and he is rough, that's why during the argument, ML said I won't marry you, I better become a nun or monk.

And we can't blame QH's mum, as a mother she wants his precious son to have a good wife with similar status level (not a gold digger like manniang) and ML's status failed her

Lol...yeah, GTY isn’t a good prospect for anyone at the moment and he knows that too. Neither of them even thinks about the other in that way presently. I like that he messes with her like that. His smile when he was walking away like “haha, I got you fired up” just like the polo match taunt. At this point, GTY is only her savior and brother’s friend. And ML is just his friends kid sister, a baby, that he can tease.

• Like 6

Thank you to all of you in this thread, I really enjoy discussing this drama with you guy, no one easily get offended and everyone are very nice ♡

• Like 9