Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Just finished 17 & 18 with subs.

Now I think we can safely conclude that ML likes QH too. But she's just a level headed about the whole thing, I'm very impressed. 

The conversation at the temple on how significantly different the consequences for her than they are for him. 

The fact that she only has a handful of rice, while he has a gold vault to gamble with. 

What surprises me though is how could he not understand that and needs to have ML spell it out for him so bluntly, and still believe wholeheartedly that all will be fine because he will marry her as his main wife. 

That's naivete at best...

He likes her, I get that, but can't he see that she's got everything to lose, and almost nothing to gain (other than maybe him)?

As the da niangs maid said later, if Rulan (and for our discussion, ML) marries QH, it will be either she gets bullied by her MIL for life, or just arguments and conflicts all the time, which will also wear QH down. Even though maid understands that, but QH still insists on it and truly believes it will end well?

I dunno, after their temple conversation, I really felt that QH has no plans, and is truly naive in this whole thing. He's just heading for a heartbreak, despite ML warning him to stay away. 

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Just finished 17 & 18 with subs.

Now I think we can safely conclude that ML likes QH too. But she's just a level headed about the whole thing, I'm very impressed. 

The conversation at the temple on how significantly different the consequences for her than they are for him. 

The fact that she only has a handful of rice, while he has a gold vault to gamble with. 

What surprises me though is how could he not understand that and needs to have ML spell it out for him so bluntly, and still believe wholeheartedly that all will be fine because he will marry her as his main wife. 

That's naivete at best...

He likes her, I get that, but can't he see that she's got everything to lose, and almost nothing to gain (other than maybe him)?

As the da niangs maid said later, if Rulan (and for our discussion, ML) marries QH, it will be either she gets bullied by her MIL for life, or just arguments and conflicts all the time, which will also wear QH down. Even though maid understands that, but QH still insists on it and truly believes it will end well?

I dunno, after their temple conversation, I really felt that QH has no plans, and is truly naive in this whole thing. He's just heading for a heartbreak, despite ML warning him to stay away. 

I agree and this is why I don't feel very much for him despite being a nice guy. It's not even his fault because he is too sheltered and pampered. But I prefer people that get the situations and try to act according to them. He doesnt devise a plan. He doesnt imagine their future. He puts her in a difficult situation witout even trying to understand her. Sometimes I feel he idolizes her and likes her, even because she isnt' at his feet.

• Like 9

Rating rocketing tonight. Can't wait for the next sweetness.

• ed114bdaly1fyycosjrw0j20u01hcn2v.jpg
  • ed114bdaly1fyycoss0p1j20u01hcjvw.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, bulubulu said:

What was the conversation between GTY and his father about that GTY cried and got on his knees?

12 eps. 2 eps everyday and 1 ep on Friday and Saturday

Thank you so much!

• Like 3

Tonight minglan cried silently. I can feel her devastation:bawling:. Really loved QH. Don't cry girl, a better man man was waiting for you. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Tonight minglan cried silently. I can feel her devastation:bawling:. Really loved QH. Don't cry girl, a better man man was waiting for you. 

Cant wait to see the episode.  But I imagine losing someone that loved her deeply and she had feelings for was hard. She couldnt fanthom what kind of man her family would pick, she had seen enough bad marriages to hope for feelings or  happiness. It's another hard step for her.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fra8 said:

I agree and this is why I don't feel very much for him despite being a nice guy. It's not even his fault because he is too sheltered and pampered. But I prefer people that get the situations and try to act according to them. He doesnt devise a plan. He doesnt imagine their future. He puts her in a difficult situation witout even trying to understand her. Sometimes I feel he idolizes her and likes her, even because she isnt' at his feet.

Spoiler

When QH told his mother his intention to marry minglan, he actually signed a death warrant for minglan. The grandma understood the precarious situation of minglan and took minglan away. QH didn't understand his mom. How cruel she can be in protecting her family status and nobility. Poor QH. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, fra8 said:

Cant wait to see the episode.  But I imagine losing someone that loved her deeply and she had feelings for was hard. She couldnt fanthom what kind of man her family would pick, she had seen enough bad marriages to hope for feelings or  happiness. It's another hard step for her.

[sad]
006lMuvyly1fyydtihqnsj30k00zkad5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, fra8 said:

Personally, I do not judge QH so hard. He honestly believed he could overcome his mother's objections. His plan was simple: ask for marriage the usual way. Who hasn't had a first/young love like that? Where you believe everything & anything is possible because your heart says so? ML & GTY has faced adversities since their youth, so being more pragmatic (ML) and cunning (GTY) is understandable. 

• Like 7

Spoiler

someone please translate what GTY's daughter said to ML? She said that her dad was the one who saved ML but what else? 

Anyone have any idea why GTY is going by his nickname when saving the Generals? Anyone who knows more of what happens next want to enlighten us what happens next? 

Spoiler

Did everyone survive the bandits? How does ML return to Grandma after all this had occurred? 

Second to that... 

GTY's son was taken away by his mother. When will he return? Will he be bad? 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JoycceeDreamer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

someone please translate what GTY's daughter said to ML? She said that her dad was the one who saved ML but what else? 

Reveal hidden contents

Did everyone survive the bandits? How does ML return to Grandma after all this had occurred? 

Second to that... 

GTY's son was taken away by his mother. When will he return? Will he be bad? 

I haven't watched these last episodes so I can help just a little because I don't know if they changed other things from the novel.

Spoiler

According to the novel, the son will be back with Man niang. However he will side with his mother and he will be again exiled with his mother.  He is a sick and frail child. The daughter will side with ML.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

When QH told his mother his intention to marry minglan, he actually signed a death warrant for minglan. The grandma understood the precarious situation of minglan and took minglan away. QH didn't understand his mom. How cruel she can be in protecting her family status and nobility. Poor QH. 

Minglan alr said to QH earlier b4 his feeling runs deep tht he will bring trouble to her yet he is still stubborn, never listen nor think wisely, still dreaming in his own world try to pursue the impossible love, in the end only hurt them more.

Another thing i cant understand QH, at his age he is still blind didnt recognised his own mother well, her behavior in dealing things where she priortise high status & nobility first rather than love even tho to his own son.

As alwys its very rare to find 1st love that will end in marriage.

• Like 10

006FsDz9ly1fyd5e8yjqgj32jv19yu10-1.jpg?r

[ONLINE RATINGS] WEEK 1, 2019

Here are the online ratings for Week 1, December 31 – January 6 (views in million):
1 The Story of Ming Lan 1260
2 Like a Flowing River 872

3 The Lady in Cubicle 367
4 Mystery of Antiques 297
5 Ever Night 222
6 The Demon Master 221

7 The King of Blaze 2 214
8 Love in Nanking 185
9 About Is Love 139
10 The King of Blaze 137

Source: Xunyee

And here are the ratings for each day (views in million):

Monday 2018-12-31

1 The Story of Ming Lan 130
2 Like a Flowing River 117

3 The Demon Master 42
4 Ever Night 36
5 Love in Nanking 34

6 About Is Love 29
7 Mystery of Antiques 25

8 The King of Blaze 20
9 Our Glamorous Time 17
10 The Lady in Cubicle 16

Tuesday 2019-01-01

1 The Story of Ming Lan 126
2 Like a Flowing River 114

3 Love in Nanking 36
4 Ever Night 32
5 About Is Love 32
6 The Demon Master 29

7 The Lady in Cubicle 29
8 Mystery of Antiques 25
9 The King of Blaze 23

10 Flipped 22

Wednesday 2019-01-02

1 The Story of Ming Lan 171
2 Like a Flowing River 137

3 The Lady in Cubicle 58
4 Mystery of Antiques 42
5 Love in Nanking 35
6 Ever Night 29
7 About Is Love 29
8 The Demon Master 19

9 The Learning Curve of a Warlord 18
10 The Great River 17

Thursday 2019-01-03

1 The Story of Ming Lan 186
2 Like a Flowing River 135

3 The Lady in Cubicle 79
4 Mystery of Antiques 66
5 Ever Night 33
6 The King of Blaze 2 32
7 The King of Blaze 31
8 Love in Nanking 24
9 About Is Love 20

10 The Great River 19

Friday 2019-01-04

1 The Story of Ming Lan 206
2 Like a Flowing River 141

3 The Lady in Cubicle 71
4 Mystery of Antiques 52
5 The King of Blaze 2 42
6 Ever Night 37
7 The Demon Master 27
8 The King of Blaze 25
9 Love in Nanking 21
10 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 20

Saturday 2019-01-05

1 The Story of Ming Lan 226
2 Like a Flowing River 129

3 The Lady in Cubicle 52
4 Mystery of Antiques 45
5 The Demon Master 41
6 Ever Night 33
7 The King of Blaze 2 30
8 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 23
9 The Great River 20
10 The King of Blaze 19

Sunday 2019-01-06

1 The Story of Ming Lan 215
2 Like a Flowing River 99

3 The King of Blaze 2 62
4 The Lady in Cubicle 62
5 The Demon Master 47
6 Mystery of Antiques 41
7 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 24
8 Ever Night 22
9 The Great River 21
10 Love in Nanking 17

Source: VLinkage

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:
006FsDz9ly1fyd5e8yjqgj32jv19yu10-1.jpg?r

[ONLINE RATINGS] WEEK 1, 2019

Here are the online ratings for Week 1, December 31 – January 6 (views in million):
1 The Story of Ming Lan 1260
2 Like a Flowing River 872

3 The Lady in Cubicle 367
4 Mystery of Antiques 297
5 Ever Night 222
6 The Demon Master 221

7 The King of Blaze 2 214
8 Love in Nanking 185
9 About Is Love 139
10 The King of Blaze 137

Source: Xunyee

And here are the ratings for each day (views in million):

Monday 2018-12-31

1 The Story of Ming Lan 130
2 Like a Flowing River 117

3 The Demon Master 42
4 Ever Night 36
5 Love in Nanking 34

6 About Is Love 29
7 Mystery of Antiques 25

8 The King of Blaze 20
9 Our Glamorous Time 17
10 The Lady in Cubicle 16

Tuesday 2019-01-01

1 The Story of Ming Lan 126
2 Like a Flowing River 114

3 Love in Nanking 36
4 Ever Night 32
5 About Is Love 32
6 The Demon Master 29

7 The Lady in Cubicle 29
8 Mystery of Antiques 25
9 The King of Blaze 23

10 Flipped 22

Wednesday 2019-01-02

1 The Story of Ming Lan 171
2 Like a Flowing River 137

3 The Lady in Cubicle 58
4 Mystery of Antiques 42
5 Love in Nanking 35
6 Ever Night 29
7 About Is Love 29
8 The Demon Master 19

9 The Learning Curve of a Warlord 18
10 The Great River 17

Thursday 2019-01-03

1 The Story of Ming Lan 186
2 Like a Flowing River 135

3 The Lady in Cubicle 79
4 Mystery of Antiques 66
5 Ever Night 33
6 The King of Blaze 2 32
7 The King of Blaze 31
8 Love in Nanking 24
9 About Is Love 20

10 The Great River 19

Friday 2019-01-04

1 The Story of Ming Lan 206
2 Like a Flowing River 141

3 The Lady in Cubicle 71
4 Mystery of Antiques 52
5 The King of Blaze 2 42
6 Ever Night 37
7 The Demon Master 27
8 The King of Blaze 25
9 Love in Nanking 21
10 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 20

Saturday 2019-01-05

1 The Story of Ming Lan 226
2 Like a Flowing River 129

3 The Lady in Cubicle 52
4 Mystery of Antiques 45
5 The Demon Master 41
6 Ever Night 33
7 The King of Blaze 2 30
8 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 23
9 The Great River 20
10 The King of Blaze 19

Sunday 2019-01-06

1 The Story of Ming Lan 215
2 Like a Flowing River 99

3 The King of Blaze 2 62
4 The Lady in Cubicle 62
5 The Demon Master 47
6 Mystery of Antiques 41
7 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 24
8 Ever Night 22
9 The Great River 21
10 Love in Nanking 17

Source: VLinkage

Well look at that!! I thought LAFR is too strong.. but never again shall I doubt Yingbao’s power (ofc also the fact that the drama is actually good)

• Like 5

Spoiler

In the book after his first wife dies, QH pushes for ML again. Dunno if that will happen in the drama?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Well look at that!! I thought LAFR is too strong.. but never again shall I doubt Yingbao’s power (ofc also the fact that the drama is actually good)

Yingbao's dramas have a strong hold on online ratings.. Her shows always gets placed at 1 position when it's aired!! Hoping that this drama would take over in ratings side too!! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, fra8 said:

This is exactly why i feel sorry for him hes sheltered and pampered and does not really know what to do , he think's he doesnt need a plan because his mum will let it just happen.

Hes naive but i still have pity for him.

3 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

This is exactly why i feel for him alot its Fuheng all over again

2 hours ago, scorpio1m said:

Personally, I do not judge QH so hard. He honestly believed he could overcome his mother's objections. His plan was simple: ask for marriage the usual way. Who hasn't had a first/young love like that? Where you believe everything & anything is possible because your heart says so? ML & GTY has faced adversities since their youth, so being more pragmatic (ML) and cunning (GTY) is understandable. 

Exactly GTY and ML know the tough reality but QH simply does not. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, minoku2209 said:

Minglan alr said to QH earlier b4 his feeling runs deep tht he will bring trouble to her yet he is still stubborn, never listen nor think wisely, still dreaming in his own world try to pursue the impossible love, in the end only hurt them more.

Another thing i cant understand QH, at his age he is still blind didnt recognised his own mother well, her behavior in dealing things where she priortise high status & nobility first rather than love even tho to his own son.

As alwys its very rare to find 1st love that will end in marriage.

You need to put your self in his shoes if you are so sheltered and never gone through any trouble or denied anything , your mother is "loving" why would you think differently? Its Young Blind Love at first sight where you think everything will go the way you want. 

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:
  Hide contents

In the book after his first wife dies, QH pushes for ML again. Dunno if that will happen in the drama?

It most likely will i dont see him simply giving up. 

1 hour ago, icyphoenix said:

Yingbao's dramas have a strong hold on online ratings.. Her shows always gets placed at 1 position when it's aired!! Hoping that this drama would take over in ratings side too!! 

1 Like a Flowing River (BTV) 1.361
2 The Story of Ming Lan (Hunan TV) 0.981
3 Like a Flowing River (Dragon TV) 0.95
4 The Great River (JSTV) 0.887
5 The King of Blaze 2 (Hunan TV) 0.75
6 The Lady in Cubicle (ZJSTV) 0.636
7 Our Youth (Shandong TV) 0.451
8 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.306
9 Our Glamorous Time (SZTV) 0.299
10 Forty Years We Walked (HLJTV) 0.272

Friday 2019-01-04

1 Like a Flowing River (BTV) 1.38
2 Like a Flowing River (Dragon TV) 0.956
3 The Great River (JSTV) 0.857
4 The Lady in Cubicle (ZJSTV) 0.728
5 The Story of Ming Lan (Hunan TV) 0.599
6 Our Youth (Shandong TV) 0.487
7 Our Glamorous Time (SZTV) 0.369
8 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.327
9 Forty Years We Walked (HLJTV) 0.294
10 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.279

Saturday 2019-01-05

1 The Great River (JSTV) 0.818
2 The Lady in Cubicle (ZJSTV) 0.805
3 Behind the Scenes (BTV) 0.712
4 Behind the Scenes (Dragon TV) 0.702
5 The Story of Ming Lan (Hunan TV) 0.662
6 Our Youth (Shandong TV) 0.44
7 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.341
8 Our Glamorous Time (SZTV) 0.322
9 Forty Years We Walked (HLJTV) 0.31
10 Forty Years We Walked (Guangdong TV) 0.273

Sunday 2019-01-06

1 The Story of Ming Lan (Hunan TV) 0.995
2 The Great River (JSTV) 0.901
3 The Lady in Cubicle (ZJSTV) 0.755
4 Behind the Scenes (Dragon TV) 0.647
5 Behind the Scenes (BTV) 0.506
6 Our Youth (Shandong TV) 0.487
7 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.331
8 Our Glamorous Time (SZTV) 0.309
9 Forty Years We Walked (HLJTV) 0.304
10 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.303

Im not sure why those 4th/5th days were so low, does like a river not air on Sunday/Saturday's. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

I saw that the drama has over 2 billion views without counting iQYI which doesnt report anymore

http://www.xunyee.cn/rank-teleplay-play-3.html

Pretty good so should end with 10 billion which would not be bad. 

Shows cant get over 20 billion now day's it seems due to iQYI not counting, maybe 10 miles of peach blossoms season two can get it. 

• Like 5