Quantcast
Jump to content
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

 

I mean its all good saying that but doesnt GTY go higher? so..

GTY earning his status is supposed to all be before marriage. GTY earned himself (known military family background) high military positions and had the right connections by then so really, he didn’t need a wife that would put him in any higher position because that would make him look like a threat to the crown, too much power. Taking a bride from a lower household would be more ideal (avoid meaningless fight). So all he really needed was a wife that could complement him and keep order at home which meant he could be freer with his choice, only limitation was that he had to at least “try” to marry a legitimate born daughter due to his status but we all know how that is going to turn out and who he will really want to marry. Too many societal rules that many of us in modern times can’t imagine having to deal with which is why I understand his tricks to circumvent the rules and I really think that in the drama, ML consents to the marriage based on the previews.

      QH wouldn’t get the same opportunities like GTY to leave home. Since he’s the only son of a Princess and Duke, they would protect him from any harm to preserve the family line so their only way to maintain their family’s power and standing is to have QH get a high official position and through marriage. I think Kim Woo Bin’s character in the K-drama Heirs put it best when he described his father’s marriage, M & A, it’s all about Mergers and Aquisitions for such families in those days. Even if QH was to try and go military, his family would ensure he had a safe officer position that kept him away from danger but enough so he can get credit for good deeds. Usually how it is with noble families unlike GTY who actually starts as a foot soldier if the previews are correct. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

 

 

 

I mean its all good saying that but doesnt GTY go higher? so..

 

I would prefer that.

 

I had to rush through these pages you guys speaking alot xd 

 

 

The main difference is that GTY is his own man, he has a bad reputation but at the same time he can choose on his own what he wants. He doesn’t need the status of a wife.QH is trapped by his status. 

 

Me too. I would be happy if the show avoided that SL. i dont think GTY’s sl needs it. I feel it might be too much.

Spoiler

Not because of the wife, but I fear it wouldn’t be well developed

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I'm up to episode 17 on Viki and reading/skimming through this entire thread :) But can someone tell me why ML embroidered "Yuan Bao" on the knee pads instead of Yuan Rou? I've been trying to understand if she forgot his real name or it has some other meaning. I know ML is very smart so it was weird that she would not recall his name when it's used by everyone.

 

I know ZYL is not the main male lead & he will not have a happy ending :( but I am really enjoying his performance and portrayal of a young lord in love.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hello210 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So Maniang ruined both marriage prospects so maybe there won’t be a first wife?? 

 

@hello210  Man Niang ruined the marriage prospects so that GTY did not have any choice but to make her the main wife. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

@hello210  Man Niang ruined the marriage prospects so that GTY did not have any choice but to make her the main wife. 

Bad move for her on that part since GTY never really thought of making her anything more than a concubine in order to give the kids a place in his family. Even though he’s rebellious, he still wouldn’t go that far. He was studying so hard to pass the exam and having a ex-singer as a main wife is is a big no no if he had aspirations. Like everyone else, I’m hoping they leave out GTY’s first wife from the novel since MN ruined both marriage prospects.

Spoiler

In the novel his first wife was from the Yu family (second engagement after broken one with Yanrun ). 

 

I like GTY’s long lasting friendship with CB and how they still call each other by their nicknames like when they first met. Also like ML’s support of their friendship. I can see the little memories that will be etched into GTY’s mind that makes him start to think of her later on. We can see how both QH and GTY develop their feelings for ML in this drama. QH got to see her grow up as classmates and QTY gets little memorable interactions here and there before thoughts of love. I like it more than when love just appears out of nowhere and the audience is wondering when they fell in love. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hello210 said:

Bad move for her on that part since GTY never really thought of making her anything more than a concubine in order to give the kids a place in his family. Even though he’s rebellious, he still wouldn’t go that far. He was studying so hard to pass the exam and having a ex-singer as a main wife is is a big no no if he had aspirations. Like everyone else, I’m hoping they leave out GTY’s first wife from the novel since MN ruined both marriage prospects.

  Reveal hidden contents

In the novel his first wife was from the Yu family (second engagement after broken one with Yanrun ). 

 

I like GTY’s long lasting friendship with CB and how they still call each other by their nicknames like when they first met. Also like ML’s support of their friendship. I can see the little memories that will be etched into GTY’s mind that makes him start to think of her later on. We can see how both QH and GTY develop their feelings for ML in this drama. QH got to see her grow up as classmates and QTY gets little memorable interactions here and there before thoughts of love. I like it more than when love just appears out of nowhere and the audience is wondering when they fell in love. 

I too like the friendship with Changbai and GTY.  To not shame his friend, GTY decided not to attend CB's wedding.  Episode 20 is very exciting as he saved two general's lives.  When they asked his name, he told them his name is Bai Ye (Bai is the surname of his mother side of the family).  I guess this will give him the opportunity to start anew.   

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scorpio1m said:

Hi! I'm up to episode 17 on Viki and reading/skimming through this entire thread :) But can someone tell me why ML embroidered "Yuan Bao" on the knee pads instead of Yuan Rou? I've been trying to understand if she forgot his real name or it has some other meaning. I know ML is very smart so it was weird that she would not recall his name when it's used by everyone.

 

I know ZYL is not the main male lead & he will not have a happy ending :( but I am really enjoying his performance and portrayal of a young lord in love.

 

 

I couldn't understand much about this scene in the book with google translate but from what little I did get (and assumed the rest) is that ML made first letter 'Yuan' bigger which used up a lot of space and so she didn't have enough for the other letter....which made the other letter look messy..and also she may have run out of the thread and tried to finish with what was left. (Been there, done that):blush:

In the book, ML was 10-11 years old when this scene happened.....when he was making fun of her embroidery skills...and at that time ML was not that good at it.....and it took her ages to finish.

Spoiler

There was a funny scene where she started embroidering plum blossoms but took so long that peach blossom season came and granny told her to add a few petals and make the plum blossom into peach blossom....when ML said they don't look the same....Granny joked they don't look that different when you make them.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • LOL 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

I too like the friendship with Changbai and GTY.  To not shame his friend, GTY decided not to attend CB's wedding.  Episode 20 is very exciting as he saved two general's lives.  When they asked his name, he told them his name is Bai Ye (Bai is the surname of his mother side of the family).  I guess this will give him the opportunity to start anew.   

Yeah, CB knows GTY well and has not forsaken him even if he has to sneak out to see him. Sad when GTY had to do his bowing for his father on his own in the sidestreet but at least CB was there to support him. There’s different cut versions on YouTube and I just found the longer one that has those scenes you’re talking about. The ep 20 version I saw earlier stopped after MN left. Bai Ye is the alias (also connection to maternal family...think his mom called him that too in the nanny’s flashback) that he uses when he travels anonymously it seems cause that’s what he did in the first few episodes and people at the Sheng’s old town didn’t realize he was the son of Marquis Gu until he went missing. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Not wedding gift but a gift as a brother to sister. Keke to meme (brother to sister) . So QH and minglan were a brother and sister.. Very cunning. Pity QH. U can see his surprise face. He's going to cry

 

Spoiler

Poor QH. He even tried kissing up to his mom first to put her in a good mood before he made his request. But Princess mama knows how to play the game better. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

 

He’s a second uncle to QH in terms of family generation, so everyone also calls him that way (the sheng girls, started by molan who wanted to put a generational distance with GTY as she deems him unworthy and scared of attracting him)

Plus the fact that Molan was really hoping to get together with QH, and if my memory was right, she said if she calls GTY as is, it would suddenly make her QH's "aunt" in terms of generation. So she wanted to call GTY the same way QH does. And Rulan and ML pretty much just follow suit. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hello210 said:

Yeah, CB knows GTY well and has not forsaken him even if he has to sneak out to see him. Sad when GTY had to do his bowing for his father on his own in the sidestreet but at least CB was there to support him. There’s different cut versions on YouTube and I just found the longer one that has those scenes you’re talking about. The ep 20 version I saw earlier stopped after MN left. Bai Ye is the alias (also connection to maternal family...think his mom called him that too in the nanny’s flashback) that he uses when he travels anonymously it seems cause that’s what he did in the first few episodes and people at the Sheng’s old town didn’t realize he was the son of Marquis Gu until he went missing. 

 

i dont think they are cut just appear in the following episode right? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

 

i dont think they are cut just appear in the following episode right? 

Yes, they just appear in the following episodes. It looks like the different viewing sources break up the episodes at different points of the drama. I think someone mentioned that before.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i saw some ppl commented on viki that the show is slow paced. having read some of the novel, imo, the drama is so fast-paced in comparison to the novel!! considering that there are so many episodes left, are they gonna have enough source material? perhaps, the show will flesh out side characters (like it's been doing) and additional scenes?

 

ML in the show is very clever. i think i like some of book ML's inner thoughts more because they're unexpected and hilarious. in the novel, as a child, book ML was very depressed and didn't have a will to live. after she witnesses concubine lin's machinations and award winning performances (lol), she's inspired to persevere. with that said, it's hard to convey those same thoughts since show ML is not a transmigrator like book ML. not saying that show ML isn't clever or anything, in fact she's far-sighted and prudent. 

 

i'm unexpectedly loving show Ruolan's characterization. she's kind of goofy, huh?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

In which episode does GTY find out about Manniang?

Spoiler

19th episode. And it became a topic of hot search over weibo. Lol

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hello210 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So Maniang ruined both marriage prospects so maybe there won’t be a first wife?? 

 

I don’t think there will be @hello210

Spoiler

I don’t think it will be. They introduced GTY to ML very early on in the drama.  Was GTY saving ML on the ship just like in the novel???  I heard the polo match wasn’t in the novel either. My curiosity is peeked now and was thinking that it would be better if GTY doesn’t trick her into marrying him at all.  In episode 18 episode we saw ML’s mom stitching in GTY’s hand and he remembered the past.  Ming Lan also made him soup because of the news that his father death.  I don’t think it will  the the same as the novel.  Making them fall in love will make it so much better because there will be no misunderstanding. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

I don’t think there will be @hello210

  Reveal hidden contents

I don’t think it will be. They introduced GTY to ML very early on in the drama.  Was GTY saving ML on the ship just like in the novel???  I heard the polo match wasn’t in the novel either. My curiosity is peeked now and was thinking that it would be better if GTY doesn’t trick her into marrying him at all.  In episode 18 episode we saw ML’s mom stitching in GTY’s hand and he remembered the past.  Ming Lan also made him soup because of the news that his father death.  I don’t think it will  the the same as the novel.  Making them fall in love will make it so much better because there will be no misunderstanding. 

 

Spoiler

Yeah, I think he’ll still go through the whole asking for Rulan’s hand thing but they’re going to have their paths cross more than in the novel so we’ll be able to see more feelings develop before they get married. Maybe not love completely at first but I think they’re going to have an understanding cause the previews look like she’s very amiable to the match. Plus, we still have to see how Doc He gets removed because as of now, he’s got nothing against him and is Grandma’s first choice. We already know from Grandma’s conversation with Yanrun’s Grandma that she’s not in favor of GTY so the trickery will be played out.

 

Haha, not much escapes GTY when it comes to ML since he called out ML about QH. He was just dumb about the other people and still sees ML as his friend’s little sister...maybe the water rescue will start changing that. I just know that in the novel, he’s saves her from drowning and pirates. After seeing the boat scene, I’m curious if the bandits were sent by Concubine Lin cause in the previews, I think Concubine Lin has a worse ending in the drama than in the novel (if that was Concubine Lin falling off the bed while ML was walking away).

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scorpio1m said:

Hi! I'm up to episode 17 on Viki and reading/skimming through this entire thread :) But can someone tell me why ML embroidered "Yuan Bao" on the knee pads instead of Yuan Rou? I've been trying to understand if she forgot his real name or it has some other meaning. I know ML is very smart so it was weird that she would not recall his name when it's used by everyone.

 

After watching episode 17 it is clear that she did it on purpose. If he ever lost it no one will care for a Yuan Bao like when his handkerchief went missing and in that way it won’t implicate him nor the person who made it, Minglan. I also believe that whether he was smart enough to know it was from her didn’t matter because from my perspective she wants to have a clear conscience/break for repaying his kindness and gift. That’s all she hoped for and not after attention or leading him on.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

After watching episode 17 it is clear that she did it on purpose. If he ever lost it no one will care for a Yuan Bao like when his handkerchief went missing and in that way it won’t implicate him nor the person who made it, Minglan. I also believe that whether he was smart enough to know it was from her didn’t matter because from my perspective she wants to have a clear conscience/break for repaying his kindness and gift. That’s all she hoped for and not after attention or misunderstandings.

The word "boa" is some kind of nickname in chinese. Like zly, the fans and friend call her "yingbao". 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...