Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

I think you’re all right about ML’s character and Grandma’s lessons. Grandma takes ML’s thoughts into consideration which is rare in those times because young women really only had the illusion of choice, but she did make sure ML was equipped to give her best fight no matter the situation she’s in. ML puts it best during the debate “It might be better to be a simple subject instead, to be spared from meaningless fights.” Which tells us that she has a very clear and strategic view on things. Being the time frame they are in, this is why the Doc was her and Grandma’s first choice. QH was never a choice because no matter how tempting, Grandma’s (voice of reason) would not put her in that position (would be like jumping from the pot into the fire cause no matter the lessons taught, QH’s mom, being a Princess, could do whatever she wanted to ML if she was part of the household, Grandma knows from experience in the palace, and whoever the QH favors would be a target for other women). When she doesn’t have a choice and ends up marrying GTY and going into a large Nobel household anyways, we’ll definitely she her employ all the stratagems of war that Grandma has taught her and given her the chance to practice when she became the steward with her own courtyard. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

But I think it would naive to think that ML is quiet because of fear. 

I feel that she's being quiet and hiding her abilities not because she fears trouble, but she simply do not want to attract unnecessary trouble and have unnecessary fights. 

She's biding her time and learning her way so that when she goes to war, she wins, catching everyone off guard. And not fight and win unnecessary battles, whilst showing everyone her capabilities, and could jeopardize her war when everyone becomes more wary of her. 

Also, she may be able to handle both QH and GTY's families, but it is also true that women in that era is more oppressed, with background and status playing a significant role in their lives. 

To go with QH would mean she wants to fight the hierarchy, family, status and of course, QH's very calculative moment, the princess. Being a realist she is, I feel she simply do not want to fight the world for love. 

Also from QH's response during their class debate, it doesn't seem like he understands how hard the battle could get, as he had a relatively conflict-free life to date. 

He may learn from ML, true, but I really do wonder if he will ever truly understand her. 

I think we could see ML is already her own, with her own thoughts and understanding on things and her surroundings. Its also clear that she sees things with a lot more clarity than even the men. And that's why she would be able to help whoever she gets together with to achieve greater heights. 

Question is, does she want to fight alongside someone who has no experience in how these battles are fought, or with someone who has been through similar experiences? Or does she want a peaceful quiet, simple life with someone simpler (the doc)?

I agree, thank you. You wrote and explained better what I was trying to say about  the Strategems of War and what granny is teaching her. 

Anyway, I never knew about the Strategems of War until granny brought it up"Besiege Wèi to rescue Zhàowhile teaching ML. Granny mentioned this story of a woman general who used the 2nd Strategem of War to defeat the enemy and helped his father to become the emperor and found a dynasty. A gate was erected in her honor and the pass where the war commenced was named after the princess heroine and still exist today. That is what ML's mother gave her a painting of the gate in the pass where the heroine princess won the day. If I am not mistaken that is what ML hung beside the painting Molan gave her at her new home. I think that since this was a special mention in the drama that this same situation and strategy may come up sometime in the drama in the life of ML and GTY? I hope so. There is a situation here where royal princes are vying for the crown prince position. So ML may be the heroine to save the day for the "emperor to be"??

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Thanks @zenya22 for the interesting lesson strategems of war. :)

I've never read that so I can't say I'm familiar with it. 

But I think it would naive to think that ML is quiet because of fear. 

I feel that she's being quiet and hiding her abilities not because she fears trouble, but she simply do not want to attract unnecessary trouble and have unnecessary fights. 

She's biding her time and learning her way so that when she goes to war, she wins, catching everyone off guard. And not fight and win unnecessary battles, whilst showing everyone her capabilities, and could jeopardize her war when everyone becomes more wary of her. 

Also, she may be able to handle both QH and GTY's families, but it is also true that women in that era is more oppressed, with background and status playing a significant role in their lives. 

To go with QH would mean she wants to fight the hierarchy, family, status and of course, QH's very calculative moment, the princess. Being a realist she is, I feel she simply do not want to fight the world for love. 

Also from QH's response during their class debate, it doesn't seem like he understands how hard the battle could get, as he had a relatively conflict-free life to date. 

He may learn from ML, true, but I really do wonder if he will ever truly understand her. 

I think we could see ML is already her own, with her own thoughts and understanding on things and her surroundings. Its also clear that she sees things with a lot more clarity than even the men. And that's why she would be able to help whoever she gets together with to achieve greater heights. 

Question is, does she want to fight alongside someone who has no experience in how these battles are fought, or with someone who has been through similar experiences? Or does she want a peaceful quiet, simple life with someone simpler (the doc)?

Adding to the discussion, I agree that minglan already figures herself out, she is smart and strong willed with or without QH or GTY, another question is not what kind of partner she wants, but which partner can actually drag her real self out. QH will give her love, its true, but ML will still have a barrier up because she knows she’s inferior due to her status, and she will still need to hide real self

the doctor is the best choice so far, simple peaceful life without feeling inferiority, but ML know how fickle men are, but

Spoiler

A childhood sweetheart? 

ML can sense trouble brewing miles away.

GTY shouldnt even been a choice 

Spoiler

Since he tricked ML into marriage, I’m pretty sure ML wouldnt even dream of getting involed with a man filled with trouble like GTY

ML may be adapt with war strategy, but GTY is a real life general, who knows his war, with cunningness to add. He knows how to wear ML down, patience is something he always lacks, but he have no choice but to be patient with ML if he wants to win her heart and make her comfortable being her true self

• Like 6

It seems ML and her aunt are investigating the true reason behind her mothers death and Lin Niang is worried that ML still remembers her mother

Does anyone know how ML will get her revenge on Lin Niang? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, frostflower14 said:

It seems ML and her aunt are investigating the true reason behind her mothers death and Lin Niang is worried that ML still remembers her mother

Spoiler

I dunno how the drama will twist about the issue, but in the novel lin niang poisoned grandma and minglan insisted that linniang be given severe punishment (sheng hong disagreed for fear of stain to family name). Changbai supported minglan and linniang was exiled to monastery to reflect on her wrongdoings. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Adding to the discussion, I agree that minglan already figures herself out, she is smart and strong willed with or without QH or GTY, another question is not what kind of partner she wants, but which partner can actually drag her real self out. QH will give her love, its true, but ML will still have a barrier up because she knows she’s inferior due to her status, and she will still need to hide real self

the doctor is the best choice so far, simple peaceful life without feeling inferiority, but ML know how fickle men are, but

Reveal hidden contents

A childhood sweetheart? 

ML can sense trouble brewing miles away.

GTY shouldnt even been a choice 

Reveal hidden contents

Since he tricked ML into marriage, I’m pretty sure ML wouldnt even dream of getting involed with a man filled with trouble like GTY

ML may be adapt with war strategy, but GTY is a real life general, who knows his war, with cunningness to add. He knows how to wear ML down, patience is something he always lacks, but he have no choice but to be patient with ML if he wants to win her heart and make her comfortable being her true self

I think she would have all three men in the putty of her hands if she wanted. The Doc is mild mannered, QH is beyond infatuated, and GTY is actually very loving too. Being the main wife or favored concubine makes you a target. And also in the case of QH, anyone that comes between Princess mama and her boy’s potential can be a target. The lessons she learns would help her manage the politics of a large household.

• Like 5

I think some supporting actors filmed Happy camp this week. One of the few dramas where I am okay with no main actor filming it since I really like the cast and I think a lot of the supporting actors never had a lot of limelight. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

I think some supporting actors filmed Happy camp this week. One of the few dramas where I am okay with no m qss in actor filming it since I really like the cast and I think a lot of the supporting actors never had a lot of limelight. 

Yes, zly accompanied dear hubby for recording at changsa today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

I dunno how the drama will twist about the issue, but in the novel lin niang poisoned grandma and minglan insisted that linniang be given severe punishment (sheng hong disagreed for fear of stain to family name). Changbai supported minglan and linniang was exiled to monastery to reflect on her wrongdoings. 

Spoiler

In the drama, all of Concubine Lin’s words does make it seem like she’ll harm Grandma.

In the novel Concubine Lin was exiled because of their trickery to get Molan’s marriage...not in the drama, but a side note...in the novel spoilers, they said that while she was exiled, she tried to escape so Wáng Shi had her locked up and had them feed her lard 3 times a day so she got fat and lost her looks. 

Dan Niang Wáng Shi get exiled for poisoning Grandma after Concubine Lin was exiled.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

2 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

Wow really? I didnt know..so will she be on it?

Nope, just accompanied him like she did during the new year.. Be a cheer lady to the hubby (behind the scene). Maybe go eating hotpot again. Ha ha:lol:

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

I agree, thank you. You wrote and explained better what I was trying to say about  the Strategems of War and what granny is teaching her. 

Anyway, I never knew about the Strategems of War until granny brought it up"Besiege Wèi to rescue Zhàowhile teaching ML. Granny mentioned this story of a woman general who used the 2nd Strategem of War to defeat the enemy and helped his father to become the emperor and found a dynasty. A gate was erected in her honor and the pass where the war commenced was named after the princess heroine and still exist today. That is what ML's mother gave her a painting of the gate in the pass where the heroine princess won the day. If I am not mistaken that is what ML hung beside the painting Molan gave her at her new home. I think that since this was a special mention in the drama that this same situation and strategy may come up sometime in the drama in the life of ML and GTY? I hope so. There is a situation here where royal princes are vying for the crown prince position. So ML may be the heroine to save the day for the "emperor to be"??

Ahhhh. Thanks !! So that's what the mom's painting meant! 

The mom only mentioned to ML that the painting was very well embroidered hence wanted ML to keep it. I didn't know the meaning behind that painting. So it turns out that the painting has deeper meaning to it after all! Thanks!!! 

15 minutes ago, hello210 said:

The lessons she learns are not really needed to manage her husband but more for managing everyone else in the household because she would have all three men in the putty of her hands if she wanted. The Doc is mild mannered, QH is beyond infatuated, and GTY is actually very loving too. Being the main wife or favored concubine makes you a target. And also in the case of QH, anyone that comes between Princess mama and her boy’s potential can be a target.

Lol. Good point there. 

I think whoever she chooses as her husband, she would be able to handle them just because she's so intelligent. 

They are either already beyond smitten (as the case with QH) or will truly admire her wits and intelligence (as with the doc and GTY)

The problem would always be everyone else. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

Not in the drama, but a side note...in the novel spoilers, they said that while she was exiled, she tried to escape so Wáng Shi had her locked up and had them feed her lard 3 times a day so she got fat and lost her looks. 

I was hoping for something more dramatic since Lin Niang practically got away with murder. But I guess losing her looks means she lost Papa Shengs affection since he seems the superficial kind of man. Plus she and her daughter MoLan were really annoying with their fake crying.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, frostflower14 said:

I was hoping for something more dramatic since Lin Niang practically got away with murder. But I guess losing her looks means she lost Papa Shengs affection since he seems the superficial kind of man. Plus she and her daughter MoLan were really annoying with their fake crying.

Spoiler

She lost Papa Sheng’s affection when her and Molan plotted to marriage with the Marquis 6th son when the country was supposed to be in mourning due to a royal death bring shame to the Sheng family. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

Nope, just accompanied him like she did during the new year.. Be a cheer lady to the hubby (behind the scene). Maybe go eating hotpot again. Ha ha:lol:

How did you know :lol:?so Feng Shaofeng will appear on happy camp with the cast?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

His online diary. 

I don`t know about that.Is that weibo or something else?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hello210 said:

I also think it’s funny and contradicting that after her little talk with QH, ML didn’t pay any mind to propriety when she was arguing in public with GTY. Really starting to see the contrast in her behavior with the two leads now. GTY can really provoke her.

@hello210    I too find it funny, love the way GTY knows how to get under her skin. Make her forget where she is and fight back. ZLY looks so cute when she argued wth him in public. Everyone saw her and yet she trie to hide behind the wall. lol lol 

5 hours ago, m0us3y said:

@m0us3y I agree ML is her own woman, intelligent  but she decided  at her mother's deathbed to not STAND OUT.  She is following her mother's wisdom so her life can be peaceful. She understands that she only has grandmother ( not her biological grandma) by her side that is why she is so careful. 

Episode 17  Concubine Li is heartless proof of not caring about Sheng Hong ‘s reputation 

x4TF0nmyf3aWJA5q7nCP6V862dkNG9oo8RbGiD3R

All mama Concubine Li had to mention private saving that will last 3 GENERATIONS , was able to convince Mo Lan to go after the Sixrh Mastee is the Liang Family.

nEdgvMg_kpXYYlawlS4U4i_KyzQob-ygYPWh7kXR

• Like 4

4 hours ago, frostflower14 said:

I don't actually remember if she did get her revenge or not....or considered Lin niang's turn of fate as a form of justice for her mother.

Spoiler

Lin niang started facing trouble soon after Kong momo came....she had to try extra hard to manipulate Sheng Hong. Da niang was still the easy one.

Sheng Hong actually started being alert to Lin niang's manipulations after Kong momo made him aware of how unfair he was being in his treatment of his main wife and his concubine. She also explained how much trouble that could bring if the concubine started thinking above herself. She showed him how the mother and daughter were using his love for them to their advantage. Then soon after everything Kong Momo told him was being played out in front of him. Lin niang tried to convince him to go talk to the princess about Molan for QH and he was furious. Shocked that she'd even consider such a thing. LN realized that Sheng Hong was not in her control anymore and Sheng Hong realized he had let LN get out of hand with his affections. So he ignored her for a while. After that he became wary of Lin niang and kept his head whenever she started using her viles for something or the other.

I don't think they kept this in the drama...coz this scene already happened......without SH loosing his temper.

4 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

I think it was...

Spoiler

Da niang who poisoned Granny on her sister/cousin's? egging. Her sister was manipulating her to do it for spite or something...can't remember. ML totally stood her ground and got both sisters punished. She even got her fathers house under total lock down...complete with guards from GTY's house....no one coming in or going out.

I gained new respect for Chang bai after he supported ML against his mother. He knew the only way this situation would be resolved was his mother taking the punishment so he threatened to resign from his official position. Da niang was exiled to live in a temple, I think. 

4 hours ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

In the drama, all of Concubine Lin’s words does make it seem like she’ll harm Grandma.

In the novel Concubine Lin was exiled because of their trickery to get Molan’s marriage...not in the drama, but a side note...in the novel spoilers, they said that while she was exiled, she tried to escape so Wáng Shi had her locked up and had them feed her lard 3 times a day so she got fat and lost her looks. 

Dan Niang Wáng Shi get exiled for poisoning Grandma after Concubine Lin was exiled.

Lol trust Wang shi to choose such a punishment as she's been watching Lin shi use her looks to keep herself in favor for years.

I loved reading all the discussions about ML and who's right for her. I agree with most of what you guys said....but maybe we should also try and understand who needs her the most out of the three guys....for me thats always been GTY. I think even GTY realized this. All his tricks and schemes to get her kind of screams his desperation to me. Sometimes, needing someone is a more powerful persuasion than love.

• Like 4