Quantcast
Jump to content
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dancingbee said:

 

@BreezeC  Hi. May I ask which episode the 'inheritance' discussion is?

 

Episode 11 in the uncut version.

 

Happy 2019 everyone!!! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Been trying to stop myself from starting this until the series ends, just so that I wouldn't be caught off guard with the ending. A few trailers and Instagram pics later, I'm up to episode 7! 

 

Read everywhere that this is a slice of life kinda series hence was expecting a real slow start, but the next thing I know I was sobbing with mini ML and the mom. It truly sets the tone on why she would behave the way she does...so sad

 

I do wonder if ML really can't write properly or was it just all for show so that she appears a lil stupid/ docile. 

Also very interesting to see that she wouldn't even put on a fight when the dad wrongly accused her and RL for "shaming" the family as she knew that it wouldn't make a difference. Seems like she really is biding her time, staying low. 

 

And now I wait patiently every day for the subbed episodes to come out....:tears: slowly

 

I think she can write and is playing stupid. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wotad said:

 

I think she can write and is playing stupid. 

Yes, she is playing stupid.

 

Couldn't help smiling each time QH is trying to steal a glance at ML (remembering back in school days when trying to catch a glimpse of a crush:lol:)..I noticed QH's personal assistant is either trying to protect him from getting ML's attention or maybe with QH's mother had him basically spying and reporting back to her on his behavior or she had bid him to stop QH from falling for any of the Sheng 'underlings' ladies.

Btw, isn't he the actor who's under LiYing's studio who also played personal assistant to YX in PA?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wotad said:

 

I think she can write and is playing stupid. 

I have the same feeling. 

But it's quite funny when her maid-in-waiting was saying she doesn't understand why ML seem to master everything with ease but writing, and then laugh at ML because she's been blaming the brush, ink, paper, everything but her skills when it comes to her writing skill! 

 

ML has certainly shown us viewers enough glimpses into her intelligence with the way she carries herself. Even when she makes small remarks, they always seem to mean more than just a passing remark...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im going to really feel for QH its easy to predict what will happen his mother wont allow this to happen and would not surprise me if ML rejects QH marriage advances which im guessing will happen . Im sure eventually QH will accept what his mother say's and wont fight for ML which will be his biggest mistake and regret . Im really curious where this story will go with QH , will he protect ML even after shes married with GTY? Im most curious about that. 

 

QH was to much in love and did not realise the situation that you giving her love is basically dooming her and putting her in danger because , his parents would never allow her to marry him considering their backgrounds.

 

GTY instead will fight and want ML and protect her no matter what people say or do.

 

During these times people respect their family and mothers so much which is why i think QH would give up because of his family while GTY does not really have a mother and the father is useless so hes a natural rebel. 

 

Also in episode 6 i think its Mr's wu and 6th master not exactly sure who they are but im glad they were not arrogant like others in this era are when they were in the carriage. They dont care about Status but i hope he does not go for the snake. 

 

Can i also say i just hate ML dad what a useless and stupid man, i actually feel quite sorry for the main wife i dont think shes totally evil. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wotad said:

 

I think she can write and is playing stupid. 

She is highly intelligent.  Just that she has to pretend just so she won't get herself and her granny into trouble since 5th sister is born to legitimate main wife whereas Molan is born to the favourite (evil) concubine.  In Episode 10 granny explained to Momo (the court lady) who came to teach the girls how to be proficient in ladies tasks.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wotad said:

Im going to really feel for QH its easy to predict what will happen his mother wont allow this to happen and would not surprise me if ML rejects QH marriage advances which im guessing will happen . Im sure eventually QH will accept what his mother say's and wont fight for ML which will be his biggest mistake and regret . Im really curious where this story will go with QH , will he protect ML even after shes married with GTY? Im most curious about that. 

 

QH was to much in love and did not realise the situation that you giving her love is basically dooming her and putting her in danger because , his parents would never allow her to marry him considering their backgrounds.

 

GTY instead will fight and want ML and protect her no matter what people say or do.

 

During these times people respect their family and mothers so much which is why i think QH would give up because of his family while GTY does not really have a mother and the father is useless so hes a natural rebel. 

 

Also in episode 6 i think its Mr's wu and 6th master not exactly sure who they are but im glad they were not arrogant like others in this era are when they were in the carriage. They dont care about Status but i hope he does not go for the snake. 

 

Can i also say i just hate ML dad what a useless and stupid man, i actually feel quite sorry for the main wife i dont think shes totally evil. 

 

I think the drama has made QH's feelings of ML very obvious from the start and from previews it seems ML is also feeling something for him. This is quite a big change from the book. ML in the book was actually an adult in a child's body....she knew how the society worked during those times. So she never even encouraged any thoughts about QH. But since the drama can't show transmigration due to censor rules....and for the story to make sense of why ML rejects QH they may show us ML facing some opposition from one person she doesn't want to be ashamed because of her, Granny,  to completely give up on QH.

Its ironic that QH has always been under restrictions due to his family status and he's never even tried to get free....ML will be his one desire of his entire life, his only rebellion. But sadly he won't fight hard enough for her....at least in the book he didn't.....but I think in the drama we may see QH putting up a fight and then forced to give up after ML gives up on him. 

While GTY, on the other hand has rebelled his entire life, going against his family in spite and taking in the conniving ex.....even so far as he almost ruined himself. ML will be the one to make him realize he was being played by his ex and thats when he starts to look at ML differently. And then soon after he lays to work this elaborate scheme to get ML to marry him.....ruthlessly manipulating people left and right. 

Finally about Sheng Hong, what concerns ML's dad most is his political position and his family's name. He'll forget all the love he has for Lin Niang or anyone else if they do anything that will bring shame to him and Sheng family name....for Lin niang countdown has already begun ever since she put her unrealistic aspirations in Molan's head to get QH and turned that girls head completely.

I feel pity for Da niang too. What she needs most is some guidance in controlling her anger and playing the generous main wife instead of the jealous shrew.....hopefully granny will step in soon.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dito said:

 

 

https://www.viki.com/videos/1141388v-trailer-1


1:36 shows some spoiler's as to what might come

 

https://www.viki.com/videos/1141406v-trailer-2

 

Also at the end of this one.

Spoiler

 

he said he wont withdraw from the difficulty , he asks his parents to propose marriage as well. 

 

Someone also says the mountain wife knifes and sea of blood i shall go through them for you but that sounds like GTY, the ML says none of them dares take the stake only i dare to . Not sure who that is directed at. 

 

It looks like he would fight for her based on these but maybe she gives him up instead.

 

 

 

 

 

Story%2BOf%2BMinglan%2BCharacter.jpg

 

Just found this which is interesting. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dito said:

 

I think the drama has made QH's feelings of ML very obvious from the start and from previews it seems ML is also feeling something for him. This is quite a big change from the book. ML in the book was actually an adult in a child's body....she knew how the society worked during those times. So she never even encouraged any thoughts about QH. But since the drama can't show transmigration due to censor rules....and for the story to make sense of why ML rejects QH they may show us ML facing some opposition from one person she doesn't want to be ashamed because of her, Granny,  to completely give up on QH.

Its ironic that QH has always been under restrictions due to his family status and he's never even tried to get free....ML will be his one desire of his entire life, his only rebellion. But sadly he won't fight hard enough for her....at least in the book he didn't.....but I think in the drama we may see QH putting up a fight and then forced to give up after ML gives up on him. 

While GTY, on the other hand has rebelled his entire life, going against his family in spite and taking in the conniving ex.....even so far as he almost ruined himself. ML will be the one to make him realize he was being played by his ex and thats when he starts to look at ML differently. And then soon after he lays to work this elaborate scheme to get ML to marry him.....ruthlessly manipulating people left and right. 

Finally about Sheng Hong, what concerns ML's dad most is his political position and his family's name. He'll forget all the love he has for Lin Niang or anyone else if they do anything that will bring shame to him and Sheng family name....for Lin niang countdown has already begun ever since she put her unrealistic aspirations in Molan's head to get QH and turned that girls head completely.

I feel pity for Da niang too. What she needs most is some guidance in controlling her anger and playing the generous main wife instead of the jealous shrew.....hopefully granny will step in soon.  

I think based on the previews, GH makes an attempt but doesn’t really carry through. There is a major difference between GH and GTY in that GTY has his mother’s/maternal grandfather’s inheritance so can essentially be independent whereas GH relies solely upon his family status. Being the only legitimate male heir and having a princess mother, the most he can hope for to have ML is to make her a concubine and he feels too much for her to do that to her.

 

GTY’s status is both a blessing and curse because he stands in the way for his maternal “uncles” for the Salt fortune and stands in the way of the 3rd brother for the Marquis inheritance since his older brother is sickly with no male children. I can see how he will have the ability to make a name for himself and be a husband that’s faithful to his wife. All his experiences has shaped his character to be a protector as shown how he provides for his children despite society and family pressures. GH will always be too protected and restrained to gain the same experiences and fortitude. 

 

I too pity Da Niang since she is the way she is because of her husband, being the main wife with none of the authorities because of her husbands fears from his past. Sheng Hong was lucky Grandma Sheng adopted him after her son died. Grandma Sheng was in Da Niang’s shoes before, but unlike Da Niang who basically ignored ML and her mother, she protected Sheng Hong and his concubine mother as much as possible from the favored concubine in her generation. At least that’s what I interpreted from the scenes after ML’s mom died.  Now, she’s putting all her experiences and knowledge into raising ML to keep her from being a target as much as possible. Love ML’s smarts...it’s how she survives but will also be her asset that will make her thrive as the wife of a powerful noble. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Wotad said:

https://www.viki.com/videos/1141388v-trailer-1


1:36 shows some spoiler's as to what might come

 

https://www.viki.com/videos/1141406v-trailer-2

 

Also at the end of this one.

  Reveal hidden contents

 

he said he wont withdraw from the difficulty , he asks his parents to propose marriage as well. 

 

Someone also says the mountain wife knifes and sea of blood i shall go through them for you but that sounds like GTY, the ML says none of them dares take the stake only i dare to . Not sure who that is directed at. 

 

It looks like he would fight for her based on these but maybe she gives him up instead.

 

 

 

Spoiler

I think when ML said she is the only one who would dare, she’s referring to marrying GTY cause her sisters and most of the nobility/officials daughters are scared of GTY’s bad reputation (darn step mom’s and his family’s fault for using his name to falsely set him up to ruin his marriage chances).

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hello210 said:

I think based on the previews, GH makes an attempt but doesn’t really carry through. There is a major difference between GH and GTY in that GTY has his mother’s/maternal grandfather’s inheritance so can essentially be independent whereas GH relies solely upon his family status. Being the only legitimate male heir and having a princess mother, the most he can hope for to have ML is to make her a concubine and he feels too much for her to do that to her.

 

GTY’s status is both a blessing and curse because he stands in the way for his maternal “uncles” for the Salt fortune and stands in the way of the 3rd brother for the Marquis inheritance since his older brother is sickly with no male children. I can see how he will have the ability to make a name for himself and be a husband that’s faithful to his wife. All his experiences has shaped his character to be a protector as shown how he provides for his children despite society and family pressures. GH will always be too protected and restrained to gain the same experiences and fortitude. 

 

I too pity Da Niang since she is the way she is because of her husband, being the main wife with none of the authorities because of her husbands fears from his past. Sheng Hong was lucky Grandma Sheng adopted him after her son died. Grandma Sheng was in Da Niang’s shoes before, but unlike Da Niang who basically ignored ML and her mother, she protected Sheng Hong and his concubine mother as much as possible from the favored concubine in her generation. At least that’s what I interpreted from the scenes after ML’s mom died.  Now, she’s putting all her experiences and knowledge into raising ML to keep her from being a target as much as possible. Love ML’s smarts...it’s how she survives but will also be her asset that will make her thrive as the wife of a powerful noble. 

Im not sure because based on previews i have seen he asks for marriage

 

also at the end of this makes me think he would fight for her.

 

https://www.viki.com/videos/1141406v-trailer-2

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Im not sure because based on previews i have seen he asks for marriage

 

also at the end of this makes me think he would fight for her.

 

https://www.viki.com/videos/1141406v-trailer-2

That’s why I think that he’ll make an attempt to convince his mother but it won’t go through because he really doesn’t have anything without his family. There’s another preview where it looks like he pulled out a knife which reminds me of the comment about his character being a “wet blanket” in the novel and idealistic. It makes me wonder if he’ll threaten to harm himself if he doesn’t get to marry ML which would tell me that he wouldn’t be strong enough to protect ML against household politics. Household politics was no joke during those times since the concubine basically killed ML’s mom. GH being from a noble family, his princess mother will not allow a concubine born to be the main wife, especially because ML is only the daughter of an official, not a noble family so the connection will not really benefit their family.

 

I’m going to feel bad for GH when all this goes down because ZYL is good at expressing the pitifullness in the previews but I wouldn’t feel too bad since it would mean that ML would dodge an even scarier in-law. She literally sold someone off for dressing up to “tempt” her son.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want to see the BTS of the scenes in the previews where GTY picks up ML and swings her around. LY is so skinny but in some of her dramas they still had her loose weight and don’t know if it’s because of her co-stars having to pick her up. Some of these guys may look big in costumes but look small in regular clothes. At the press-con ZYL’s suit looked too big on him making him seem really skinny...unless he really is skinny??

 

Some of these actors have really good height but not a lot of muscles. Do they only bulk up if they have shirtless scenes but stop after?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, hello210 said:

That’s why I think that he’ll make an attempt to convince his mother but it won’t go through because he really doesn’t have anything without his family. There’s another preview where it looks like he pulled out a knife which reminds me of the comment about his character being a “wet blanket” in the novel and idealistic. It makes me wonder if he’ll threaten to harm himself if he doesn’t get to marry ML which would tell me that he wouldn’t be strong enough to protect ML against household politics. Household politics was no joke during those times since the concubine basically killed ML’s mom. GH being from a noble family, his princess mother will not allow a concubine born to be the main wife, especially because ML is only the daughter of an official, not a noble family so the connection will not really benefit their family.

 

I’m going to feel bad for GH when all this goes down because ZYL is good at expressing the pitifullness in the previews but I wouldn’t feel too bad since it would mean that ML would dodge an even scarier in-law. She literally sold someone off for dressing up to “tempt” her son.

Im not sure i think GH will fight hard for ML but ML will be the one to back off , from those two previews i posted especially end of the second one it does not sound like a wet blanket. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, hello210 said:

At the press-con ZYL’s suit looked too big on him making him seem really skinny...unless he really is skinny??

 

Recently ZYL is a bit skinny because I think he is a bit tired from his recent project (digging up tomb lol) but in his earlier BTS for another drama he can lift up to 80kg of weight. That's pretty strong. I believe he does regularly exercise and are good at kickboxing (his father is an instructor). Plus I have seen him effortlessly lifting up his co-stars many time in older drama. :) 

 

Btw, I have been really enjoying the BTS released so far, I hope to see more. Their filming environment and the crew seem very happy together.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched ep 10 on Viki and love the Grandma and Aunt moments. Can’t wait for more of it. I also wish the Momo could stay forever. 

Spoiler

Love what Grandma said. “If a person’s life goes too smooth, they will go blind and deaf. Ming Lan you must be awake always.”  It’s something both GTY and ML learns through their adversities.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hello210 said:

Just watched ep 10 on Viki and love the Grandma and Aunt moments. Can’t wait for more of it. I also wish the Momo could stay forever. 

  Hide contents

Love what Grandma said. “If a person’s life goes too smooth, they will go blind and deaf. Ming Lan you must be awake always.”  It’s something both GTY and ML learns through their adversities.

 

 

I also loved the talks between Grandma/Aunt it made me quite emotional, what show this will turn out to be.

 

Spoiler

I thought the dad hated ML but in episode 10 he was softer does he turn more hateful later or nicer.

 

 

God i detest the father being stupid towards Lin Qinshuang and Sheng Molan i want these two to suffer. 

 

First in online rating's https://cdramabase.com/online-ratings/

 

This does not include QIY where they dont report online views now right? 

 

 

 

This video is the actors singing right? they sound good saw some juicy scene's, espically around 1:57/8/9 spoilers obviously.

 

After this video i ship GTY and ML 100% now you can feel the chemistry and love. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wotad said:

 

I also loved the talks between Grandma/Aunt it made me quite emotional, what show this will turn out to be.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

I thought the dad hated ML but in episode 10 he was softer does he turn more hateful later or nicer.

 

 

God i detest the father being stupid towards Lin Qinshuang and Sheng Molan i want these two to suffer. 

 

First in online rating's https://cdramabase.com/online-ratings/

 

This does not include QIY where they dont report online views now right? 

 

 

 

This video is the actors singing right? they sound good saw some juicy scene's, espically around 1:57/8/9 spoilers obviously.

 

After this video i ship GTY and ML 100% now you can feel the chemistry and love. 

Wow...Daylight is doing so well...isn’t Like a Flowing River also their production? And they are both on top for ratings. I can see why because the cinematography in both dramas are so natural with the time periods and detailed. I’ve been trying to find MingLan and Jin Han OGT songs on iTunes with no luck. I love the MV and the song, especially that version with LY/FSF. FSF sang it for the Hunan New Year’s Eve concert (too bad LY didn’t make it but she posted about it on her Weibo)...just haven’t been able to find the full video. Both FSF and ZYL performed and from the little parts I found on YouTube, they did good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wotad said:

Im not sure i think GH will fight hard for ML but ML will be the one to back off , from those two previews i posted especially end of the second one it does not sound like a wet blanket. 

Based on the trailers it sure does seem like it. I recall one of the trailer ML met up with GH after she's married to GTY, and it seems like that made GTY angry for a bit. 

I don't understand the whole convo with my half baked mandarin, but it seems like ML is a true realist, and she told GTY that if one day, he wants to take another wife/ concubine, she will accept that...and GTY asked if given a choice to choose again, will she still choose to marry him.

 

So it seems like GH still loves ML after her rejection and marriage to GTY! :tears:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Wow...Daylight is doing so well...isn’t Like a Flowing River also their production? And they are both on top for ratings. I can see why because the cinematography in both dramas are so natural with the time periods and detailed. I’ve been trying to find MingLan and Jin Han OGT songs on iTunes with no luck. I love the MV and the song, especially that version with LY/FSF. FSF sang it for the Hunan New Year’s Eve concert (too bad LY didn’t make it but she posted about it on her Weibo)...just haven’t been able to find the full video. Both FSF and ZYL performed and from the little parts I found on YouTube, they did good.

The OST for Ming lane is now on Spotify. But the ending song is by the original singers - Hu Xia and Yisa Yu. I'm also hoping they would have a version with ZLY and FSF! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...