Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

In the beginning I was also confused with Molan’s ending and why she is received with such an open arm. But from what I think - nobody figure out that Molan released Aunt Kang. The one who released aunt was LN’s old maid and she is probably go far away after being given money from Molan. So, everyone thinks that it was stepmom trick. And then the problem with her husband, I assume Molan’s family heard about it, so they pity her. I kinda hope Molan at least apologise to ML but giver her character she probably won’t do it. But I feel like in the end she shown great remorse because she starts helping grandma to walk. I think after the husband incident, she probably realise that her mom’s teaching are all wrong. 

Now trying to find another drama to watch ... any recommendation? I’m waiting for Queen Dugu to be sub, currently watching Haolan.

i tried watching NIF because it is recommended so much by ppl in this sub. But I watched 2 episodes but don’t understand a single thing :sweatingbullets:. I ended up watching Luzhen because of Zhao Li Ying (and Chen Xiao is there). 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, 12blbl said:

So what happen to the Wang family? The man who chained at the end of ep, was he from Wang family?

I thought that was the Wang official, Aunty Kang’s brother who brought up the fake charges against GTY in court.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

In the beginning I was also confused with Molan’s ending and why she is received with such an open arm. But from what I think - nobody figure out that Molan released Aunt Kang. The one who released aunt was LN’s old maid and she is probably go far away after being given money from Molan. So, everyone thinks that it was stepmom trick. And then the problem with her husband, I assume Molan’s family heard about it, so they pity her. I kinda hope Molan at least apologise to ML but giver her character she probably won’t do it. But I feel like in the end she shown great remorse because she starts helping grandma to walk. I think after the husband incident, she probably realise that her mom’s teaching are all wrong. 

Now trying to find another drama to watch ... any recommendation? I’m waiting for Queen Dugu to be sub, currently watching Haolan.

i tried watching NIF because it is recommended so much by ppl in this sub. But I watched 2 episodes but don’t understand a single thing :sweatingbullets:. I ended up watching Luzhen because of Zhao Li Ying (and Chen Xiao is there). 

NIF started off slow just like TsoML so give it a few more epis and it will sucks u in, trust me, u will not regret it :).

• Like 6

6 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

You need to watch at least 8-10 epis to start understanding the background, the plot and where all the main characters are coming from. The first 2 episodes are confusing because after the very first scene of the battlefield, the story quickly jumps to 12 years later,  with the main plot already in progress and many things have happened in between those years. The aftermath of that battlefield in the first scene and the other events that happened in those 12 years will be slowly revealed as the episodes advance. You'll need a lot of patience in the first 4-5 episodes but please don't forward anything....or you'll miss some important things. 

I guarantee you'll love this drama by the end and never regret putting your time into watching this.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, m0us3y said:

What a journey! 

Every artiste played their character so well, from our beloved ML & GTY, to our second leads QH & WIFE, everyone from Sheng Family (Beloved granny, SH, DaNiang, RL, HL, CB, Molan), Shitou & XiaoTao, Rong'er, Danju, Mdm Zhang, even DaNiang's maidservant, to our protagonists, Mdm Qin, Aunty Kang, Aunty Wang, even MN. 

Relationships and love goes beyond our OTP of ML - GTY.

Granny - ML, GTY- Shitou, ML - XiaoTao & Danju, Rong'er - ML & GTY, CB - GTY, ML - Mdm Zhang, QH - wife were all very heartwarming and lovely to watch. 

I've laughed at GTY's antics, CB's hilarious actions, DaNiang's amusing expressions;

I've cried with ML over the mum's passing, granny's poisoning, and finally in her desperate attempt to save GTY, cried with Rong'er to witness the death of her own mum, and when she finally called ML "mum";

I've smiled at the sweetness and little intimate moments between ML - GTY.

Loved both the explosive GTY, and the more subtle, quiet and subdued ML; full of wisdom granny, straightforward RL, and comical DaNiang & CB.

Cheered when those that ML extended help to came back to show support, friendship, and loyalty from Mdm Zhang, Yanran, the Sheng's couz, Danju. 

Really liked the friendship formed btw ML and QH's wife under the most unlikely circumstances

It has its flaws and shortcomings, but pulled enough heartstrings, and gave enough hope to keep me going. 

It's a relatively "quiet" slice of life family drama, and I've enjoyed the subtleties of things, appreciated the suffering & limitations for women during the era, and loved the various relationships, that goes beyond blood and family.

It's not a perfect show, but definitely worth every minute of the time watching (and re-watching). 

It's been a great 1.5 months watching TSOML; reading & discussing the difference thoughts, perspectives, insights and analysis of the show and characters, sharing of spoilers,  previews and bts, historical facts, and translations. 

Thank you @cherubstomato @linhlinh111 @Golden Flower @nichiwoohee @dancingbee @lclarakl @Suzzy San @frenchfan @dito@minglan1@mooose @minoku2209 @leeza77 @jewelsc @hello210 @matrim @zenya22 @Jackie1048 @sava2sava @heatherbee @greenwatch08 @UnniSarah @lilkat75 @fra8 

The finale was bittersweet.  Suddenly my days seemed empty.  I tried watching Queen of Dugu but I got a little bored during the beginning of the 1st episode.  Maybe if I watched it later on, it will be better.  I will give my brain to relax a little.  I have thoroughly enjoyed TSOML.  Like really enjoyed it eventhough sometimes I have to rewatch to understand the conversation.  I loved the way the actors and actresses portrayed their roles.  So vivid, so alive. There were moments where I cried, where I rolled out laughing, moments where I totally hate  BUT It just shows that these people are so good.  Again, I must congratulate the producer and all the people working on this production.

It has been great exchanging with you all as well.  I will miss you all too.  Let's hope there will be other opportunities to exchange point of views etc....:kiss_wink::heart: And happy belated Valentine Day everyone.  Love, kisses and hugs

4 hours ago, hello210 said:

I thought that was the Wang official, Aunty Kang’s brother who brought up the fake charges against GTY in court.

I think it is him too.  

• Like 7
  • Love 5

5 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

Youw ill love Luzhen.  ZLY is totally awesome there.

• Like 6

Can someone explain to me who was the random couple who eloped/escaped during the chaos of rebellion?

We saw them with Gu houses 4th or 5th uncle, there was a lot of gold on the table, the woman gave up her jewelry (bought her freedom), got a (her slave?) contract and tore it up and then escaped.

I really didn't understand who the couple was or their significance to the plot. Help, what did I miss?

• Like 6

I loved this drama and my enjoyment was enhanced by the comments from this forum. All the actors were excellent,  I loved Minglan relationship with the old grandma,  it was so natural,  but  the evil stepmother takes the  Oscar. She managed to show evilness while her face was most loving and caring. I have never seen it anywhere, the director who cast her made the perfect choice. Kudos to everyone connected to this drama, its the first chines drama that I anxiously waited to be subbed. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, annakas said:

Can someone explain to me who was the random couple who eloped/escaped during the chaos of rebellion?

We saw them with Gu houses 4th or 5th uncle, there was a lot of gold on the table, the woman gave up her jewelry (bought her freedom), got a (her slave?) contract and tore it up and then escaped.

I really didn't understand who the couple was or their significance to the plot. Help, what did I miss?

I think it's Fengxian running away, the 3rd aunt helped her run away since they all thought step mom will be successful so she got scot free.. And if the assassin that tried to kill MLan's son is Fengxian them the assassin ran away, but if the assassin is not Fengxian, it might be the assassin that was helped to run away.. So it's either Fengxian or the assassin 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, annakas said:

I don’t know who’s the guy is but the girl is definitely prostitute Wei.  She finally able to freed herself from the brothel.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, pralee said:

I don’t know who’s the guy is but the girl is definitely prostitute Wei.  She finally able to freed herself from the brothel.

Oh really, maybe I will watch again to assure myself but if it's pros Wei, I'm so. Happy for. Her.. So cool, she is such an intelligent and smart person, her wisdom shouldn't get overshadowed by the fact that she is a prostitute.. So happy they did that if the lady leaving is pros Wei 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jewelsc said:

NIF started off slow just like TsoML so give it a few more epis and it will sucks u in, trust me, u will not regret it :).

If u can withstand few more hours of Palace internal politics, plots, conspiracies etc, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace (handsome Wallace Hoe) and The story of Yanxie Palace .. very colorful and casts performances wr all fantastic.

• Like 4

Just watched the sub version of the end episodes. I must say in the end, I pitied Stepmother. She blamed the Gu family for her own predicament but she should also be smart enough to overcome it. Look at Grandmother who raised her whole family not of her bloodline and in defending her own decision she cut ties with her own Marquis family. In the end, it is rather a lame excuse. I suppose she took on a "character" that is so different from her true personality. Remember she said she would had more a satisfying life if she had been a prostitute in a brothel.

Her son was her worst disappointment as he did not reflect any of her genes and said that a lowly born Bai family had a better son in Gu Ting Ye.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

I have not finished the drama yet but does TsoML have 73 episodes or 79? Currently on Viki it is listed for 73. Is there extended episodes or is 73 the last episode?

Final ep is 73 

• Like 3

I finally finished it all...it has been a smooth and rough journey watching TSOM, ( this was my 2nd historical cdrama that I religiously fallowed every ep after PA.)

I love this drama, so many lessons learned after watching it,love all the characters from antagonist to protagonist,each artist executed their roles very well and made us feel them, love them, hate them.

I wont say that ZLY was overshadowed by others, coz every characters have their own designated roles.

Most memorable scene to me that made me cry somuch is when Young  Minglan mother dies..and at ship crying with GM arms.and also rong er finally calling ML' Mother.

GrandMa and Minglan's love and care for each other is such a beautifull life.

Love the bonding relationship of ml and rulan on the first half of the drama.Daniang's meme face is such a funny and entertaining scene,

I like how it ended up, all family are there, except daniang..ML's wish "a peacefull life,a safe and sound family"have been granted.A loving, caring and understanding husband.and a cute lovely son.( Im a bit sad coz they dnt have much bonding as a family in the end.)

Thank you also for the producers, directors,writters and to all hardworking staffs and crews behind this beautifull drama this year.I will be rewatching this with my sister after resuming my lost sleeps.( having a 3-4 hrs sleep for 1.5 mnts is not healthy at all).

I ddnt joined the discussion much but I enjoyed reading everyone's opinion.thank you to all and God bless you all.and to my fellow cp shippers lets discuss again on the cp thread.

• Like 12