Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

14 minutes ago, AngelaL said:

Although some may think it’s too slow, but I actually like how they are taking the time to flush out each character and family dynamic. Every episode feels like a warm bowl of soup, warm, and nutritious.

After reading the book, I’m enjoying the flow of the story being painted on screen.

A few highlights of the show:

- All the grandmas are supper adorable and full of feels.

- 大娘子 is such a surprising comedic relief hahaha.

- the little looks they give, or gentle hand gestures, especially from the backup characters.

- This show is truly a light and enjoyable family show. My mom was like is this a comedy hahaha. The music really helps to highlight these golden moments haha

- We both agree the drama is shot beautifully. From the gorgeous and historically accurate sets, to the use of real candles instead of electric lights, to the natural plants and cinematography, everything feels so purposeful. We never felt jarred out of this century like many bad period dramas.

- as for the characters. I’m surprised to find myself liking the development of each family and how they ultimately help shape our characters and the path they will go on. It feels more like a life drama, with a slow wave of character understanding, and growth coming. This feels more natural and actually better developed than the novel.

- also compared to the novel, they did make some changes that is more world building, and we get to better understand each main character better not through flash back but actually see into their homes. In the novel we kinda stay within the view of Minglan’s family and flashback more.  I think the show can better help those who didn’t read the novel to understand the characters, their growth, and how in the end they make their decisions.

Hhaha I love how everyone is team 2nd lead already (he is cute eh haha) Let’s keep watching Shall we ^v< 

Haha...I might be alone in team GTY right now but I like the bad boy turn good characters in historical romance novels. 

I’m with you on liking how they showed each character development. You can totally see how each of them were shaped by their environment and everything is so natural. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Its like Yanxi all team second lead before the first came along and won our hearts

It might be hard to ship GTY and ML

Reveal hidden contents

due to him having wife and children right? 

Spoiler

He doesn’t have a wife yet. He has a mistress and children that he takes responsibility for which to me is honorable. It was the times...things like that are normal in that time period. Many noble sons have mistresses and children but they don’t take responsibility for them.

The novel spoilers I read explained how the mistress tricked him using his sympathies. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

He doesn’t have a wife yet. He has a mistress and children that he takes responsibility for which to me is honorable. It was the times...things like that are normal in that time period. Many noble sons have mistresses and children but they don’t take responsibility for them.

The novel spoilers I read explained how the mistress tricked him using his sympathies. 

Spoiler

I looked at Wiki and he has two wife's and 3 children before ML im pretty sure , yeah one of them does trick him but he has another wife whose his official. It might be hard for me to like him but we shall see i like the more loyal type's but i suppose this is how the times were. 

I watched alot of historical drama's where even some princes/noble's fall in love with one girl and is loyal to that one girl so seeing everyone here having so many wife's is a little weird . 

Does Qi Heng have wife's and children? 

This is spoilers ofc

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Haha...I might be alone in team GTY right now but I like the bad boy turn good characters in historical romance novels. 

I’m with you on liking how they showed each character development. You can totally see how each of them were shaped by their environment and everything is so natural. 

Haha nah I’m with you on GTY. Character development is what I love too. We shell see

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wotad said:
  Hide contents

I looked at Wiki and he has two wife's and 3 children before ML im pretty sure , yeah one of them does trick him but he has another wife whose his official. It might be hard for me to like him but we shall see i like the more loyal type's but i suppose this is how the times were. 

I watched alot of historical drama's where even some princes/noble's fall in love with one girl and is loyal to that one girl so seeing everyone here having so many wife's is a little weird . 

Does Qi Heng have wife's and children? 

This is spoilers ofc

Spoiler

Yeah...in the novel he has the mistress, and one official wife who died before he married Ming Lan. He only had 2 children with the mistress before Ming Lan. The first wife cheated on him with his cousin while he was away and died. All his other children are with Ming Lan. He is loyal to Ming Lan after they marry and never went back to the mistress. He only took responsibility by providing for them until the mistress tried to harm Ming Lan. Even when high officials and the Prince give him women, he doesn’t touch them.

That’s why I can ship them but we shall see how the drama plays out the stuff in the novel.

Qi Heng has wives and children. All political marriages due to his status. His character couldn’t stand against the elders.

Spoilers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

Yeah...in the novel he has the mistress, and one official wife who died before he married Ming Lan. He only had 2 children with the mistress before Ming Lan. The first wife cheated on him while he was away with his cousin and died. All his other children are with Ming Lan. He is loyal to Ming Lan after they marry and never went back to the mistress. He only took responsibility by providing for them until the mistress tried to harm Ming Lan. Even when high officials and the Prince give him women, he doesn’t touch them.

That’s why I can ship them but we shall see how the drama plays out the stuff in the novel.

Qi Heng has wives and children. All political marriages due to his status. His character couldn’t stand against the elders.

Spoilers.

Ok you make me feel better about it lets see how it play's out. 

28 minutes ago, AngelaL said:

Haha nah I’m with you on GTY. Character development is what I love too. We shell see

Not seen much of GTY and Ming Lan together yet so cant judge at the moment ;p 

Only use this youtube channel because they cover the chinese subs the best.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrR1ynvdUJ_zSXWQCE5TK8A/videos

• Like 1

Honestly, GTY is as good as a man can get in that society. Sure, he's not perfect right now and he's going to make mistakes since he's still young and naive (even now he is quite an upstanding and responsible man, he could have abandon the mistress to save his reputation and save himself from the burden, but he insists on protecting and taking care of her and the kids, so he's actually a really good person if you think about it that way). He's going to go through a lot, but after that he will turn into one of the most reliable and capable husbands in the story, and that is because he makes many mistakes that he can learn from. I'm not worry about everyone having SLS right now, because people will see how GTY grow into the man that is worthy and they will get why he's the one for Minglan and why Qi Heng is not. Isn't it how life is? We meet our actual spouse much later in life, not everyone marry their first love. 

About GTY has many women before ML, we have to understand that this is the time in which men are allow to have many women. Even ML herself does not believe in fairy tales and one true love and all that, she never expects her husband to be faithful to only her (she's lucky she gets the one who's willing to be faithful). Also, it's not like GTY is ML's first man, she might not marry anyone before him, but she did have other contenders that she likes/wants to marry before him. Let's just say that they both has some sort of past behind them and the marriage requires work and compromise on both sides. GTY allows ML to be his equal, that's quite impressive considering the society they live in, I think.

Plus, after reading the novel, my assessment of Qi Heng is that he's quite a wet blanket so I'm no where near that ship. I hope the drama makes him a better character so that I can at least feel bad for him a little.

• Like 8

Also, is there anyone who is an absolute fan of Zhang Jianing's Rulan like me? She's so stinking cute! Even though she's a spoiled brat who's not very bright, but her animated many expressions keep me laughing every time she shows up :D I hope she has a lot of screen time.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Also, is there anyone who is an absolute fan of Zhang Jianing's Rulan like me? She's so stinking cute! Even though she's a spoiled brat who's not very bright, but her animated many expressions keep me laughing every time she shows up :D I hope she has a lot of screen time.

Rulan makes me laugh because she’s spoiled and bullies Minglan to do her chores like sewing but is not viscous. Molan makes me want to slap her with all her tricks. Both of them are reflections of their mothers with their interactions. Minglan makes me feel for her and route for her because of her quiet strength and smarts. So glad she’s learned in a good way from her mom’s death and from grandma. To me, all of the actresses are doing well with their characters and making their characters an extension of the kids versions too. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Honestly, GTY is as good as a man can get in that society. Sure, he's not perfect right now and he's going to make mistakes since he's still young and naive (even now he is quite an upstanding and responsible man, he could have abandon the mistress to save his reputation and save himself from the burden, but he insists on protecting and taking care of her and the kids, so he's actually a really good person if you think about it that way). He's going to go through a lot, but after that he will turn into one of the most reliable and capable husbands in the story, and that is because he makes many mistakes that he can learn from. I'm not worry about everyone having SLS right now, because people will see how GTY grow into the man that is worthy and they will get why he's the one for Minglan and why Qi Heng is not. Isn't it how life is? We meet our actual spouse much later in life, not everyone marry their first love. 

About GTY has many women before ML, we have to understand that this is the time in which men are allow to have many women. Even ML herself does not believe in fairy tales and one true love and all that, she never expects her husband to be faithful to only her (she's lucky she gets the one who's willing to be faithful). Also, it's not like GTY is ML's first man, she might not marry anyone before him, but she did have other contenders that she likes/wants to marry before him. Let's just say that they both has some sort of past behind them and the marriage requires work and compromise on both sides. GTY allows ML to be his equal, that's quite impressive considering the society they live in, I think.

Plus, after reading the novel, my assessment of Qi Heng is that he's quite a wet blanket so I'm no where near that ship. I hope the drama makes him a better character so that I can at least feel bad for him a little.

I know these stories are not similar but i am getting some flashbacks to Yanxi ill spoiler it incase people not watched Yanxi yet.

Spoiler

Qi Heng reminds me of Fuheng based on what people are saying he obviously loved her but he gave her up and did not fight for while while GTY will fight for her , i find it similar because i just watched Yanxi. 

Im only on episode 5 so when i see more of GTY ill still like him i just wonder will QI Heng be friendly with ML through the story or will their relationship just break? 

• Like 1

This show is just so charming normally i would wait for the youtube to cover the Chinese sub's but couldn't want..

I would normally never like this show but something about it just makes me excited for next episode./ 

Really hope this show takes off in China its doing decently online but wish it did better live. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Me! Me! Me! Especially when she said to her mom that she rather marry below her and live in comfort (able to voice her opinion and live care-freely) than marry above her to live in misery like her big sister. Although she is not wise but she does see clearly on that point and understand what she want and not pressure herself to satisfy or obey others. She is spoiled but not mean. Her character is quite straightforward and one of the few and rare one that does what she wants. I think I can classify her with QH in the same category because only son and daughter that are protected and sheltered can have thoughts of doing what they want and pursuing things like love and happiness. Most of the characters in this story are bonded by social status or trying to survive, only people like QH and RL are naive enough to think about marrying the person they like. RL said even if she doesn't have to learn much, she will still marry into a family as the main wife because of her status. As for QH, he doesn't really need to take the imperial examination since he will be assigned a noble title once the time comes. Yeah, so basically they have really nothing to worry about and have spare time to think about what they want and like. Unlike ML and GTY, where one is trying to survive and the other trying to break free. However, QH's mother is much more scarier and dominating for QH to even have a chance. The poor boy can't even stare at his mother directly when she gave off that "No, means No" vibe. It is adorable how he try to praise her (the most beautiful woman in this world lol) but unfortunately your mom see right through you. 

I know a lot of people feels a little off putting because GTY already have a mistress and children but after you adjust yourself to their time and not think about our modern society, it is not that big of a deal. At least, she is not going to be causing trouble like ML's family second concubine between our main couple. If anything, you can just treat her as the evil ex-wife in modern time. Also, if you compare him with some of the other guys like marrying for money and treating the woman like s*** GTY is quite a honorable man lol 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Your not alone:Dthe first time a saw her on ep 5 cuddling to her mothers arm:ojusr makes me smile.and also I have this feeling every time  I watch the sisters scenes that she's the youngest:grin:.yahh hoping to see more of them together..Minglan+Rulan:blush:

• Like 3

I'M only at ep 6 and I can already relate to this family drama..most specially the punishment part...I can picture myself as one of the sisters,thats how my father punish us also with my sisters when we are still kids using a rathan stick..that hursts a lot still rememember it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, BreezeC said:

10 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Glad more people are a fan of her i find her so adorable and she add's good humour to the show , i also think she will be a kind character at least i hope and also a ally of ML . 

• Like 3

I am totally enjoying this so far.  Ruolan is a spoilt brat but she is harmless.  I like her.  So sweet. I like the way she bickered with the nasty 4th sister Molan.  That one was the exact copy of her mother who is a conniving richard simmons in this drama.  I really like Liying here and Qiheng is sweet although seems to be bound to his family and what his family wants.  I like FSF too as he seemed like the least spoilt among the other men (except one of Minglan's elder brother).  

• Like 4

The scene where they discuss 'inheritance' is the highlight of the latest episode for me. From the discussion, we can clearly see the difference in personality and perspective between the two male leads. QH's thoughts are too idealistic which shows that he is really sheltered. I just realized he is also the only child, oh boy, no wonder his mother will be so strict on him. His views are too restricted, following the rules type of personality. In contrast, GTY's thoughts are rebellious, even he said people should inherit based on talents and skills, which goes against the 'proper' way of this society. One is going with the flow and the other is going against the flow which would make GTY's life faced with a lot more hardship and challenge. And it would take a lot of determination to come out as the 'winner' at the end. 

To be completely honest, I think MingLan is too good for either guys. She is just so clear, wise, and intelligent. After I heard her analysis, my first thought was that if only she is a male, she would be a great asset to the kingdom and a great husband lol Unfortunately, she is not. Someone who can see the bigger picture and not hung up on small matter and self worthiness and gain, is truly a rare gem. B)

Spoiler

Based on ML sweet smile while she is sewing the extra knee pad, I am assuming that she does like QH. Their relationship right now is that high school crush type of liking and it is really sweet to watch. I am almost dead from the way QH promised with that soft tone of his after ML left the classroom. If I threw away the thought of them not meant to be, it is really sweet and enjoyable to watch them secretly crushing each other. As for most first love, it started out sweet but never really work out. Still I am enjoying it so far, hopefully, I won't be too heartbroken later on...:joy:

• Like 7

Been trying to stop myself from starting this until the series ends, just so that I wouldn't be caught off guard with the ending. A few trailers and Instagram pics later, I'm up to episode 7! 

Read everywhere that this is a slice of life kinda series hence was expecting a real slow start, but the next thing I know I was sobbing with mini ML and the mom. It truly sets the tone on why she would behave the way she does...so sad

I do wonder if ML really can't write properly or was it just all for show so that she appears a lil stupid/ docile. 

Also very interesting to see that she wouldn't even put on a fight when the dad wrongly accused her and RL for "shaming" the family as she knew that it wouldn't make a difference. Seems like she really is biding her time, staying low. 

And now I wait patiently every day for the subbed episodes to come out....:tears: slowly

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, BreezeC said:

The scene where they discuss 'inheritance' is the highlight of the latest episode for me.

@BreezeC  Hi. May I ask which episode the 'inheritance' discussion is?

• Like 1