Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

2 hours ago, hello210 said:

It looked like Official Wang was one of the guys chained up heading for prison or exile? Old Madame Wang probably got something similar to ED due to her late husband’s merits but the usefulness of the former Imperial Tutor’s merits have now been exhausted. All of the enemies have been taken care of. Even Molan, who has no love from her husband and no children which is one of the worst fates for a main wife (drama gave her punishment for killing the concubines’ babies unlike novel where she kind of got away with it, had kids and was treated kindly by her husband since she was generous with letting him have concubines). 

Love the loyalty and trust between GTY and his General buddies, Prince, and Emperor. Their closeness is always emphasized by the Imperial family’s use of GTY’s nickname Zhonghuai just like CB.

QH finally walking next to his wife and taking her hands instead of walking ahead of her like before. Glad he got a more affectionate ending.

:wub: lots of steals for ST and XT with their cuteness. And the Shengs are finally a family, still dysfunctional in their own way but now one family instead of competing parts. They need to do an epilogue of all of them with their children, including General Shen and Madame Zhang’s family.

Thanks for the summary.I hoped for a harsher end to ED.She was the mastermind.The minions got heavy punishment but she was let off so lightly.:triumph: Very dissappinting.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sandrilene said:

I think there's no way he could tell her. It was a covert operation and he would not be allowed to do so. Moreover it is also for her safety if somehow the plan went awry and ED won, it allows Minglan deniability and she wasn't part of the plot. In fact  it would be even safer if she was officially separated from GTY so ED wouldn't be able to execute or exile her as part of GTY's  family if GTY and the Emperor lost. But ML refused flatly so GTY couldn't push that.  The Empress was forced to tell her because ML was so extreme in her measures for GTY that not telling her could have cost her health and life.

I agree and I think the way he framed his proposal of separation was a clear indication of his state of mind. Gty was devoted to the Imperial family, he said thanks to them he could have Ml and his position, so he put himself as a bait. But I doubt it was a light choice.

He couldn’t tell her, but he was broken full of sadness and remorses.  He even said that her life would have been better with He and QH. 

He didn’t want a divorce because he was sure their plan would work but gave her a way to protect herself in a situation that could lead to their ruin and death.

I loved this scene because their love shone without talking about feelings, they remembered their past and it was cute how she got him. She guessed he was happy she made a scene and that he wouldn’t separate knowing He was single.

for me the drama was good. It was a bit a mess the way they put all the evil characters in the court to accuse gty and some inaccuracies were clear. But even the drum beating made sense. It went back to her promising to risk everything for  her mother, her granny and gty. We saw her putting her life on the line for all three.

i liked the last scene because it closed the scene on the Sheng family. However I wanted more scenes in the end for gty,ml and their children

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Sorry everyone but, I just have to finally say this because I have waited so many episodes to do so....Preface - I love the main characters like everyone else!!

But, I have waited until almost the end to see some passion from ML towards GTY and I just don't feel it. The kisses on the cheeks is so weird for me, almost like the ones I give my grandchildren. In addition, the fact that they are a couple in life makes me not get it even more that their lip kisses almost seem awkward. And did she just spit in his face! Thanks for letting me voice my opinion : )

• Like 4

Who else wants a Story of Minglan 2 where the prince is now emperor with GTY being his shield and right hand man.

• Like 2
  • Off-Topic 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

10 minutes ago, afrimpong05 said:

Who else wants a Story of Minglan 2 where the prince is now emperor with GTY being his shield and right hand man.

Nah. Don’t ruin it lmao.

• Like 4
  • Off-Topic 1

2 hours ago, jwhite said:

Sorry everyone but, I just have to finally say this because I have waited so many episodes to do so....Preface - I love the main characters like everyone else!!

But, I have waited until almost the end to see some passion from ML towards GTY and I just don't feel it. The kisses on the cheeks is so weird for me, almost like the ones I give my grandchildren. In addition, the fact that they are a couple in life makes me not get it even more that their lip kisses almost seem awkward. And did she just spit in his face! Thanks for letting me voice my opinion : )

Most chinese period dramas don't do passionate kisses. If not pecks its mostly just quick smooches. Last chinese drama I saw that had kisses with a bit of passion was 10 miles of peach blossoms...and then too the passion was from the guy's side only....the lady looked like she was just barely tolerating it.

You may find good passionate kisses in taiwanese dramas but chinese dramas and actors still need to loosen up a bit.

Though I admit the modern dramas have started putting in proper kisses....whether its passionate or not , that is up to you. For me I find them awkward. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, dito said:

Most chinese period dramas don't do passionate kisses. If not pecks its mostly just quick smooches. Last chinese drama I saw that had kisses with a bit of passion was 10 miles of peach blossoms...and then too the passion was from the guy's side only....the lady looked like she was just barely tolerating it.

You may find good passionate kisses in taiwanese dramas but chinese dramas and actors still need to loosen up a bit.

Though I admit the modern dramas have started putting in proper kisses....whether its passionate or not , that is up to you. For me I find them awkward. 

I think this was the first C-drama I watched that had a lot of PDA between the main couple . During the scene where Minglan is fanning GTY's wounds after he was caned, if you watch closely GTY was stroking Minglan's thighs and I could not believe my eyes.  For me it was the subtle ways in which they always touched each other, that made me enjoy their romance.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, afrimpong05 said:

I think this was the first C-drama I watched that had a lot of PDA between the main couple . During the scene where Minglan is fanning GTY's wounds after he was caned, if you watch closely GTY was stroking Minglan's thighs and I could not believe my eyes.  For me it was the subtle ways in which they always touched each other, that made me enjoy their romance.

True true, their subtle touch makes it so much better.. I love them 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, afrimpong05 said:

Yes I noticed that too. There were lots of little touches like that between FSF and ZLY that brought out the comfortable intimacy in their relationship. He was not shying away from touching her. Sometimes it even looked liked it was not planned and he did it spontaneously. Like when he was asking her to call him Er lang. That pat on the back. I also remember he rubbed her back a lot. He also touched her face a few times.....I've noticed actors in cdrama and Kdramas avoid doing that....and touch the shoulders instead...maybe coz of makeup? but it looses that intimate tone of the scene.

Mostly actors even though they have good relationship off screen with their female costars mind their hands in close body scenes. Like not getting too close to the butt or the chest unless the scene demands that. If you notice, the back hug scenes in most dramas....the guys usually hug the ladies on the shoulders...not the waist.

In this drama the few times FSF carried ZLY, his hand was very close to her chest. So their real life intimacy was crossing over to their reel life. Only thing missing were good kisses...:lol:

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

I’ve finally successfully avoided peeking into this thread :D although the last ep is yet to be subbed, I already watched the raw LOL

ep 69:  -cb and gty’s friendship remains one of the best thing the drama ever made, one is the model scholar and the other is the military ruffian, I cracked up when gty threatened to sever his relationship with sheng family, and cb called his bluff by saying as if ml will allow that. Cb again called his bluff that he has a plan, just for gty to knock him out to silence him :joy: *I seriously love the comic element of this drama, they always show up unexpectedly*

- the generals banding together to defend gty was also imo a good addition to the story, I can see that the emperor really favors his old subject from the hometown, one kick up a fuss, he just ignored him. Another openly slandered ED and he just threw fruits at him, it’s cute how he treats them as children

- ML feeling guilty and gty telling her that just by waking up beside her, he fells contented, is another leap for their love. Old ml wouldnt be so emotional and wont believe what gty said, hopefully it comes from her heart and not postpartum hormones LOL

ep 70: -opening with another cb comic scene, cb has become one of my fav char, cracked up when the servants lifted him back even after he resorted to violence

- ml reminding the empress that she was the one who brought the prev emperor’s decree (you tell them girl! You basically have the same contribution or maybe more than gty)

- their conversation in the prison cell, basically ml making gty cancelling his decision by mentioning he hongwen LOL good for ml, gty was being a jerk by saying he could just marry her again after everything settled

-QH starting to open up his heart for his wife. Finallyyyy let’s all move on

ep71: The plot that didnt make sense the most in the entire drama is fengxian knowing martial arts :crazy: wth... then why did they instigate aunt kang to harm ml?? Why not just tell fx to hurt pregnant ml?? 

- ml drumming the whole night, yasss girl.. if you cant sleep, why should the emperor get a good night sleep. 

Ep72: the sheng family shoo-ing away nanny xiang like she’s an alley cat, loved it!

- glad that gtw actually is a decent brother to gty

-awesome ml defending her home, smart calculating ml is the best ml

-madame shen equally awesome, that’s what a general daughter should be like, state uncle is so lucky, his 2 wives have guts like none other

-I actually gasp when manniang gone killing mode, in the novel I think rong er is the one who saved ml’s son, I was worry they might stick with that too and make her kill her mother?!! Luckily the badass nanny did it

Let me just add that the music/score they use in the drama is so good. Really sets the mood of the scene. The music when prince huan said he’s here and then pan out to the soldiers, gty and state uncle, all the way to them charging into the city is brilliant, got my heart racing LOL

I do have some questions:

- Ml just recently  named his son tuan er? I thought gty already know his son’s name, I remember ml already called him tuan’er before

- why did the soldiers at the prime minister’s house all crying out gty’s name? Why did it seem like they are happy he’s back? 

-who/what is ma huai (the word prime minister shouted at the end of ep 72)?

Cant wait for the subbed last ep!:innocent:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, afrimpong05 said:

I too was shocked.. he just casually kinda touching his wife lustily while being bed ridden :joy:

7 minutes ago, dito said:

Yes I noticed that too. There were lots of little touches like that between FSF and ZLY that brought out the comfortable intimacy in their relationship. He was not shying away from touching her. Sometimes it even looked liked it was not planned and he did it spontaneously. Like when he was asking her to call him Er lang. That pat on the back. I also remember he rubbed her back a lot. He also touched her face a few times.....I've noticed actors in cdrama and Kdramas avoid doing that....and touch the shoulders instead...maybe coz of makeup? but it looses that intimate tone of the scene.

Mostly actors even though they have good relationship off screen with their female costars mind their hands in close body scenes. Like not getting too close to the butt or the chest unless the scene demands that. If you notice, the back hug scenes in most dramas....the guys usually hug the ladies on the shoulders...not the waist.

In this drama the few times FSF carried ZLY, his hand was very close to her chest. So their real life intimacy was crossing over to their reel life. Only thing missing were good kisses...:lol:

Not only when carrying yingbao, I noticed even when hugging her, he placed his hand  near her chest, not her shoulder. I actually mentioned at the CP thread, sometimes fsf/gty would act (touching, hugging) more intimately only half way and then turn it into something casual. 

I know a lot of people not fond of the couple getting together initially, but I think this drama actually make the irl couple likable  

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 2/12/2019 at 10:18 PM, Jackie1048 said:

Just an observation, Zhu Yi Long (Qi Heng) reminded me of Tony Leung Chiu Wai

As a long time tony fan, I see the resemblance, but not yet there.. not by a long mile  :sweatingbullets:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Okay, can we talk about how proud SH was that Minglan acted her part in the final play? When Minglan told him it was all an act, the smile he had lmao. Ah a proud papa I see. Even scolding GTY for not telling ML the plan and if she were to get sick later its all his fault. Lmao

GTY calling himself a fox, and minglan fox ancestor. lol ugh this series was so freaking good. I followed from the beginning and the pay off was worth it.

Also at the end with ChangFeng using the fan for ChangBai, but he's blowing too hard and Cb like "wtf bro!" lmao. The little comical moments you catch are truly funny.

Everyone looking at Shitou when he ran over to Xioatou lmao. WE STAN LOVING HUSBANDS IN THIS HOUSEHOLD!

This series really warmed me. In 3 months, I'll rewatch this and Yanxi Palace. I love rewatching good dramas lol.

It's been fun ya'll. See ya in the forums of another drama!

• Like 4

I finally have the maybe accurate answer to them still leaving in the house, 

1. The punishment will only take place after autumn although he is still imprisoned at first.. So like ML said in ep 72, they still have more time to plan.. This sis the strongest reason 

2. Since the marquis house is a generational house of marquis, considering that GTY was not the only one in it, the house was left for them..and that's why the step mom's nanny could come and bash ML as if not because of them they wouldn't have a house to live in.. This is not likely since the house wasn't a marquis house but maybe after joining the two houses, it's has been officially made the marquis house.., that is the next marquis gets to live there.. But it looks like it's true now, since the step mom called it the house of GU and that her son can inherit the marquis title now that GTY is supposedly dead in ep 72...so the house even though was given by the king, has been made the marquis house legally and is now bound by family of GU, so even though GTY is punished, he can still live there as a member of GU house under maybe another marquis of GU.. This is the absolute reason after all.. Wow.. So surprisingly cool that they still based it on family affairs.. Story of Minglan is really a family story 

3. When General shen wanted to ask the king to let GTY go, he said he will just be a vanguard, do he later said, they can discard the royal punishment for now and just make him an ordinary citizen without achievements so he gets to become a foot soldier.. So because of this the order that should've happened, didn't get executed, as such made them keep the house as a former glory bestowed on GTY.. This is like a literary reason.. 

4..or the punishment might just be taking away the farmsteads and not the house, since it was only 2 plots that was mentioned in the royal order to be taken and that's the 2 farms.. This is a very direct reason.. More like, his good deeds are considered so they let him stay in his house for his efforts, but his supposed bad deeds can't go unpunished, so they took away all other grace he has,like his position, title and farmstead,....this is a very direct reason that does not involve too much thinking. 

PS.. THE BOLD ONE IS THE MOST ACCURATE REASON BUT YOU CAN STILL READ OTHER REASONS I DEDUCED FOR FUN.. 

Does anyone know where I can listen to the music score with the music only. Not the soundtrack w/songs.

TSoML ends this week or next week? I'm not quite sure. I still have a handful of episodes to catch up to & want to avoid spoilers. It's been such a great run.

• Like 1

Wow, it's been such an adventure watching the story of Minglan., she was brave, courageous, determined, dedicated, clever, smart, intelligent, and lovely.. I don't even know what to say.. My favorite character was GTY, I guess.. I just love his flaws, insecurity, his bravery, his outspoken nature, his cunning ways, in short his everything.. That was such an all round character.. Then we have QH, that got so maturedly developed that made me miss him so much now, his wife, for being such an amazing wife, she looks at the big picture when dealing with things and I appreciate that.. Our Sheng family, they totally rocked and somehow, this drama is about them and that's why they ended that drama with Sheng family.. Our xiatao and shitou for being the loyal back of GTY and ML.. Glad they got married.. Even though we didn't get to see much epilogue, but I think it's still OK, we can guess the happiness.. 

In all, the story of minglan made me so proud of women and also so afraid of what we can become if we are not cherished or nurtured well.. So i wish parents can train children well and even if we are not trained well, we should also try to be magnanimous about our disadvantages.. Thanks to the cast and crew of this amazing drama, there were lags but as much as the lags made it more of a drama, so I've no complain.... Hmmm, and I'm so glad I get to meet so many people through this drama.. Thank you all so much for sharing your opinions and making me think more about this drama and making me know a lot about the history.. It's been such an amazing experience.. 

Hmm, as such, I say thank you to everyone on this forum.. Love you all:heart:

• Like 10
  • Love 5