Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Is this the final episode (ep 73)?

I feel very sorry for GTW - to have such a horrible mother. Also for Rong'er :bawling: but glad those evil somehow got their punishment. I sort of wish they would suffer first, like being flogged to death or something like that instead of having an easy ending like that. 

Also glad that QH can finally open his heart to his wife. Now that QH is likeable again, I just notice the way he dressed up is so regal, compare to other men. Like the way he wears his outwear unbelted makes him look like a real prince :wub: And he's also quite good looking.

Also I've been wanting to ask this, why do the men seems to have 2 names - like Qi Heng is Yuan Ruo, GTY is Zhong Huai? And is there any difference between calling your mother "Niang" vs "Mu Qin"?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

In the book, GTY was demoted without being taken away his Marquess title for leaving his army outside the city and coming back to the city without permission.  ED already knew GTY leaving his post for salt inspection and defying emperor's decree. If they show similar to the book by just taking away GTY's general title, it would have saved at least 3 episodes or more of ruckus, prevented ML from being tortured, one less assassination attempt on the newborn baby, and no need to bring back MN, Bai uncle or Yu Yanran or family members from Youyan. The step-mom would have been already at odds with the OTP for GTY burning GTW's courtyards. He would then be recruited by General Shen just to be a platoon or group leader without a title and much authority.

YESSSSS. They created episodes with more angst that make no sense and does not give depth to the story but shallow excitement for no reason. It makes the emperor and the empress look like the hillbilly yokels come to the capital to put crowns on their heads but don't know what to do with it. I mean they do have scholars whom they could have consulted, eh? 

The character that grew up by leaps and bounds is Yuan Ruo and I am loving him in these episodes. He accepted what is and let go of wanting to prove his love to ML, learned to care, respect and love his wife while keeping the memories of his young and intense love for ML somewhere tucked in the corner of his heart. He still loves ML yet respects her choices and supports her as a friend and fellow man/woman. Hopefully, GTY will learn from Yuan Ruo. Love is not about jealousy or trying to turn the woman you say you love into someone she isn't. Love is accepting and loving the person for who they are warts and all. Yuan Ruo is a good man. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

The character that grew up by leaps and bounds is Yuan Ruo and I am loving him in these episodes. He accepted what is and let go of wanting to prove his love to ML, learned to care, respect and love his wife while keeping the memories of his young and intense love for ML somewhere tucked in the corner of his heart. He still loves ML yet respects her choices and supports her as a friend and fellow man/woman. Hopefully, GTY will learn from Yuan Ruo. Love is not about jealousy or trying to turn the woman you say you love into someone she isn't. Love is accepting and loving the person for who they are warts and all. Yuan Ruo is a good man. 

Yanrou's character grew up so well and awesome.. His wife is also someone that really amazes me.. So I'm so glad he got a happy ending to his story.. So cute.. 

Hmm.. I actually think GTY's character does not want ML to be something she is not, in fact, he wants her to be the person she is, he doesn't want her to be bound by formalities like she was in Sheng house and had to pretend to be something she isn't.. GTY has seen her true self before marriage and as such wants her to be that person, I think like how Ml's trueand free side cared for grandma and her mother, he wants to be cared for by that free, unbounded and true spirit of ML.. Jealousy is just something he thinks once she showed it, it's a sign that she actually cares and like how ML said, it's the amount of stupid things done that shows the love for each other.. We can see that when ML got jealous, he was afraid whe will get angry so his happiness dissipated.. So in all, GTY is a hurt child in a man who wants assurance for the feelings given to him, are you sincerely in love with me, or because your role as a wife deems that, so you are going by your duty of living me to be virtuous? Like how my stepmom did to show the world she is a virtuous woman who loves her husband woman's son while she just hates him so much.. In the end, it's all about the pain each and every character has gone through in their childhood and adult life....my two cents on the matter though, it's nothing much.. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shihuangdi said:

Reveal hidden contents

I feel very sorry for GTW - to have such a horrible mother. Also for Rong'er :bawling: but glad those evil somehow got their punishment. I sort of wish they would suffer first, like being flogged to death or something like that instead of having an easy ending like that. 

Also glad that QH can finally open his heart to his wife. Now that QH is likeable again, I just notice the way he dressed up is so regal, compare to other men. Like the way he wears his outwear unbelted makes him look like a real prince :wub: And he's also quite good looking.

Also I've been wanting to ask this, why do the men seems to have 2 names - like Qi Heng is Yuan Ruo, GTY is Zhong Huai? And is there any difference between calling your mother "Niang" vs "Mu Qin"?

In ancient China a person's names was a complicated matter. Usually one had two names: Ming and Zi. The former was given by one's parents and used by elders, the latter was given when one turned 20 (in the case of females, 15) and used by peers. Generally Zi bore similar or same meaning of Ming and sometimes it's a complement to Ming. Some had a third name Hao which reflected one's ideal or characters. To show respect for others, one should use Zi or Hao instead of Ming. So we seldom hear QH but Yuan Ruo. As Qi was his family name and Heng given name, Yuan Ruo his Zi (sorry there's no English equivalent for this). Niang is the informal word for Muqin, carrying more intimate feel, their relationship similar to that of mom and mother in English.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I think GH (who I agree is georgous) came around largely because his wife finally let go of her insecurities and he was able to see her in a new (intelligent) light. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

:sweat_smile:I think a lot of the story were explained in ep 70.. Waiting for the subs but from what has been translated, GTY's punishment will just take place after autumn, so they still can stay in their house, ML told grandma she will put on her noble dress and plead for GTY, even though their title have been deranged, she said she doesn't care about the offense..  separation request was already told to ML by changbai's mom so that the kids don't become the son of a convict, but ML said she will stay by him,after that GTY also said it, but it eventually became an emotional moment for the couple.. GTY already told changbai, when he asked that what's his plan and he said he can't reveal it now.... So I think they still staying in the general's house is like a case of landlord giving notice of eviction, they still have like 2 months to leave the post fully and the house.. Since someone begged that he should go to war first before they enact the punishments, and they can just remove his general title if they want to show the people that his crimes and punishment have not be leviated, so that why he went as a foot soldier. There might still be some inconsistencies or flaws to some but not to me, since I don't really care about the dynasty or the supposed way it should go.. And I think it's better this way, since we are now getting the unrealistic view to the drama.. In short, it's a drama, let's not be too emotionally, realistically, logically, righteouslly, deeply vested into the ways it could have went.. We will just be writing a new drama ourselves.. :joy:

• Like 7
  • Love 3

Premiere Rating Story of Minglan 5.jpgx180-6Ca.jpgdg5yiMy.jpg&key=e1813a5c71fb4ccbbcab086d2fc6b37a23f814f8561a5016260b1f482cf2191c

I know nothing of what's historical fact or is fiction and I haven't read the book or even all the comments in this thread.  Yet I appreciate the knowledge of those here that do and have.  For someone like me I can only share in what my heart feels and sees through the words of its writer and the images set before me. 

I can tell you that while watching the banging of the Deng Wen Drum by ML and others with her, my heart was pounding too.

Boom... Boom... Boom... Over and over and over again.   In watching her kneel, beg and plead with her arms held up using every strength within her and her courage in not allowing herself to ever give up.  Seeking out all those around her in crying out loudly showing  us that same desperation we saw and felt when she was a child in her every action and in not willing to let one stone or chance go unturned or undone.

What broke my heart  more than anything was this feeling as if this little girl ML although all grown up now had returned to a place she knew all to well.  That sense of helplessness in seeking out anyone and everyone to please listen, please help me, all the while knowing her once savior was now locked up.  The man who loved her, their son and her family more than even himself.

Yet this broken moment would in so many ways express the way in which love sacrifices and protects and the courage it gives you in ones willingness to never give up hope even when  justice is hard to find.  It's even harder when you know the truth but everyone tells you it's at to high of a price to be set free.  When throwing ones headpiece and crumbling to the ground I thought how cruel a fate to have to lose ones Mother at the hands of others and then to be faced with losing her husband in the same way too.

Still there was a sense of beauty within their constant struggles and  the pain in which they always seemed to face.  That in a cold dark and gloomy jail cell with tears in their eyes and brokenness crushing down on their spirits and hearts.   There was a glimmer of light that night that shined ever so bright.  Seeing their faces all a glow as if in a bubble all their own.  Looking at each other, their loves strength that seemed even in their darkest hour to surround them .   In their thankfulness an understanding without any doubts what was always true.   Just what the person in front of them meant and what they meant  through  the eyes of the person looking back at them too.

My love, my heart, my life, they are all you... :heart:

I am confused, are there 79 or 78 episodes? How about on VIKI, what's the total there?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

Just an observation, Zhu Yi Long (Qi Heng) reminded me of Tony Leung Chiu Wai

You are totally right.  I thought he looked so familiar.  The young version of Tony Leung.  :kiss_wink:

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, hell59 said:

I am confused, are there 79 or 78 episodes? How about on VIKI, what's the total there?

In Viki, it says there are 76 episodes. And given the days countdown, it seems last episode is this Friday. There seem to be less ep in Viki because they're running DVD version, which I believe has longer running time per ep, compared to TV version.

Edited by savingrace
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

Hide contents

I'm also glad QH has his own happy ending. He deserves it. 

I'm waiting for Xiaotao's and Shitou's happy ending as well. I hope just like Danju, I see Xiaotao in a wedding dress. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, savingrace said:

In Viki, it says there are 76 episodes. And given the days countdown, it seems last episode is this Friday. There seem to be less ep in Viki because they're running DVD version, which I believe has longer running time per ep, compared to TV version.

Thank you!

• Like 2

I don't always care about historical facts in drama, it depends on which type of drama I'm watching. For example if it's some kind of comedy or action or sci-fi period drama then it doesn't matter (like Eternal Love or Princess Agent or Ten miles of peach blossoms), but TSoML is good bc it depicts the realistic life of women in the Song dynasty, so of course I want to know if it's doing it right. I really doesn't have to be very accurate, but if at least it shouldn't feel absurd. Even if it didn't follow history, if the plot was consistent then it would feel more real and relatable. Even if not comparing it to the book, the drama has started to lose its touch in the later one-third. 

4 hours ago, matrim said:

In ancient China a person's names was a complicated matter. Usually one had two names: Ming and Zi. The former was given by one's parents and used by elders, the latter was given when one turned 20 (in the case of females, 15) and used by peers. Generally Zi bore similar or same meaning of Ming and sometimes it's a complement to Ming. Some had a third name Hao which reflected one's ideal or characters. To show respect for others, one should use Zi or Hao instead of Ming. So we seldom hear QH but Yuan Ruo. As Qi was his family name and Heng given name, Yuan Ruo his Zi (sorry there's no English equivalent for this). Niang is the informal word for Muqin, carrying more intimate feel, their relationship similar to that of mom and mother in English.

None of the females in this drama have Zi, so I guess it's not common for females? Or females don't have Zi in Song dynasty but they do in a different period?

• Like 6

If her banging on that drum gave her sympathy from the public and had them knowing her mother in law was a devil- i'd be fine, happy actually, but she legit got nothing from doing ALL that. total waste man :/ 

• Like 2

Omg I can say grandma understands ML best.. While we are saying GTY wants ML to be someone she isn't with all  being lovey dovey..  Grandma explains it best, when ML had to go to Sheng house in ep 69 because someone wants to prison them in Gu house through their medicine, she said if she lives here, GTY will also have to live there.. So Grandma was like, hmm 'I know your husband is obedient to you, and you also want him to be obedient to you, so isn't it better now that you're no longer acting careful and cautiously just to grasp him, this is how married couple should live'.. Grandma is truly the one for me. :joy:.. One thing I know about TSoML is that, you can't really connect things without focusing on the dialouges.. If we just watch previews and unsubtitled episodes based on actions alone, things will seem absurd, but with the actual knowledge of the dialouges, it becomes more understandable 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Omg I can say grandma understands ML best.. While we are saying GTY wants ML to be someone she isn't with all  being lovey dovey..  Grandma explains it best, when ML had to go to Sheng house in ep 69 because someone wants to prison them in Gu house through their medicine, she said if she lives here, GTY will also have to live there.. So Grandma was like, hmm 'I know your husband is obedient to you, and you also want him to be obedient to you, so isn't it better now that you're no longer acting careful and cautiously just to grasp him, this is how married couple should live'.. Grandma is truly the one for me. :joy:.. One thing I know about TSoML is that, you can't really connect things without focusing on the dialouges.. If we just watch previews and unsubtitled episodes based on actions alone, things will seem absurd, but with the actual knowledge of the dialouges, it becomes more understandable 

Dialogues and cinematography.So.many interesting nuances...I liked the scene between empress and ML after she wakes up from the fainting spell post drumming the justice drums..Her concern for Zhounghai,ML..thoughtful and filled with care...Yet her words were harsh as a whiplash.Actions and words at odds with each other.Nice execution.

• Like 6

Omo in ep 69 looks like GTY already knows that killing the Wang aunt will bring a lot of troubles and he also told maybe prince Huan or someone else that them not suing him in court the next day means that they must be waiting for all fingers to form, as in for all his crimes to be so much and he, like us, also said that the Kang aunt already has a lot of lives on her hands, so can they really sue him.. It's also revealed that apart from the father of Kang being an imperial tutor, another Kang official works in the private court..

The old Madam Wang was granted audience after beating the drum. Just like what ML wanted to do. The Dongwen drum has been revealed to be a drum of grievance; that is for the citizens to complain.. So anyone granted audience from that drum can enter the court. And that's why Dongwen drum's case especially involving an official is important once granted, it goes to the kaifeng precinct and the dourt of judiciary, this info was said by the king 

Wow, I can already see the reasons why GTY couldn't escape the prison deed,

1. His own step mom and uncle testified against him, that's one of the greatest testifier ever, one's family.. And their claim is true GTY actually set fire to GTW's house.. But they changed it for him as covering up his deeds of killing that stupid aunt.. This family is trash 

2. The old woman Wang had already planned no retreat for both her and GTY by trying to force to reveal what happened to grandma and as such bring the Sheng family down.. She knows GTY wouldn't do that and if he just keep saying 'does a killer needs reason to kill?', it will become another weakness in his statement. Changbai was so shocked when he didn't say the grudge between Kang aunt and ML.. I really appreciate him for this

3. Like above family against family is one of the hardest case to win, and we see another one.. Kang aunt is the maternal aunt of ML. Like to those that knows nothing, how can the real sister of Ml's legitimate mother want to kill her.. I seriously wish there is a diary to keeping tabs on one's behavior everyday so that people can know someone's true self. And GTY also said she has killed a lot of people, but looks like there is no evidence for those too as the old Madam Wang has kept it under control and now Kang aunt is dead so there is no way to ask her now.. What a pity.. 

4. Of course the Kang being a maternal aunt doesn't mean she can't do it in the eyes of the law but the law will only believe she did it with accurate evidence and that is the other problem,. NO UNITED WITNESSES.. In Gu's house, those of GTY says Kang did it, those of Qin step says Kang didn't.. And like the king says its now a problem of he says this, she says that.. Which makes the case harder to close. As such giving opponents for more stupid accusations like killing his son and misuse of power from the likes of crazy Manniang and delusional Bai uncle. Crappy people just wants to see GTY fail.. 

5. It all boils down to imperial purpose, the king can literally just say 'GTY has saved the king before as such all his crimes are hereby nullified', but it will surely bring unrest in the court and subjects won't be pasified as like an official advised the king, GTY is a new subject while the Kangs are old and aristocratic subjects. So GTY had to be used as a key and a scape goat for bringing unity to the court.. 'oh the king is justand not bias, he even punished a loyal servant for his misdeeds' those stupid and old officials will curb their rebel heart.. What a joke, as if it will actually stop the main rebel from Ed to happen.. Such a shortsighted officials. And the imperial matters is also the reason why, even though the king and generals knows that this is the doing of the ED, they still can't say it.. Royal life is so hard.. An ED can even put a king in hind.. Xiao Duan was so cute how he kept on mentioning Ed's name and the king kept on throwing things at him.. 

6. Omg this is probably the most cruel reason, using the witness as an excuse the judge brought in Manniang and Bai uncle, to make their claims, one of bullying through power that GTY killed his own son in front of Manniang( the greatest of all lies), and through this the stepmother, using her innocent and loving face, also used the excuse to bring forth GTY's father that he killed him too,while she truly doted on him, ( omg the greatest two faced person ever) That is ; GTY has no feelings for family at all, as such he is definitely capable of killing his own  son, bullying his maternal house, causing his father's death, attempting murder in his brother by setting his house in fire and as such killing Kang aunt without reasons and definitely without remorse..

Wow, these are too much, I said it before the law can set you free but that's if all evidences and witnesses favors you.. Even if the law knows the truth, without evidence, the truth and reality is as useless as anything.. I have never feel sad for GTY so much as I felt sad that he was even accused of killing his own son by a crazy richard simmons.. These are the things from ep 69 that can answer some of the questions proposed as regards the plot correlation.. I hope some have been answered.. 

As such, GTY could have been logically saved if the reason of grandma's case was said making him have a strong reason for killing, but that has been removed 

If the people in Gu house had one statement that kang aubt truly tried to kill ML, it would have been the second evidence.. But the stupid step mom did her job 

Without all these two above, It allowed for more witness making the crazy Manniang bring forth her stupid accusations.. Which insights that GTY has no affection for family as such can definitely kill his maternal aunt-in-law too if she just offends him.. But this offense can't be stated... Dongwen drum made the case come to court and the king considering the imperial seat does not just want to say GTY should be forgiven.. Note that with all this I'm evading the fact that it might be a plan from the king and GTY because it's not been said or proven form the drama.. 

I will come back with the reasons from ep 70

• Like 8