Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

1 hour ago, Jackie1048 said:

So funny when Gu 3rd son's wife told her mother in law that the flicker of fire that burned their courtyard was in.a form of a tall man named Sitou.

I think the Emperor and Empress is staging an act for the Empress Dowager benefit.

Gu Ting Ye, Ming Lan and baby family moments is so lovely to watch.

Gu Ting Ye got the reaction he wanted from Ming Lan when she questioned him on Mistress Wei.

Be careful what u wish for.. Ml have been racking her brain on how to meet that Prostitute. Xiaotao compounded the matter when she told ml about the talents of the prostitute.. Ha ha. Ml even suggested to book her. 

Gty scolded CB for telling ml about the prostitute. Then CB retorted that u want ml to be jealous.. So, this is the good way for her feel unrest...very bad CB. :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 12

Thanks @dito and @linhlinh111 for the details! :)

Personally, I think I could understand the deviation, and the dramatization. 

The fact that ML is not transmigrated would make a lot of difference. 

As @linhlinh111 pointed out, we have on one side, a fully grown adult stuck in a little girls body, experienced things in life, a lot more jaded and matured. In the drama, we have an actual girl that was forced to grow up faster than she should, hence she would have a child hidden inside. Infatuation, puppy love..

With that, QH became someone that actually moved ML at a point, even if she knew that it's simply impossible due to status differences. 

But because of the feelings between ML-QH, the conversation that ML was supposed to have with GTY, she had with QH, so from viewers pov, it becomes redundant if she has the same with GTY.

And it seems that because GTY was actually there to witness the death of ML's mom, and saw first hand how it affected her, his understanding of her is deeper in the drama. 

Plus their conversation after he saved her from the river, have given him a better understanding of women of their time. 

In terms of over dramatization, incl Molan actually having the affair, personally I think it's what sells with general population. 

While some appreciates the historical accuracy and the accuracy of props and lighting etc, it seems that general viewers prefer a more dramatic show, with lots going, lots of action, lots of drama..

And that drives ratings and profitability...

For one, I've seen multiple comments on multiple sites that the show's too dark, too dim especially the night scenes. 

I appreciate the accuracy, but also enjoy the dramatization, and thought the show did reasonably well balancing the two. 

As some chingus pointed out, SH is actually not a bad father, considering the era they lived in. 

ML going all out against the father would be greatly frowned upon as filial piety was probably more important than anything else at that time. 

Yet, we as viewers are looking from a 21st century lense, with modern thinking, morals and ethics. Sometimes as much as we try, we would never be able to understand those of that time, because we have never experienced them. 

Hence, we applauded ML for finally standing up to the dad, and we criticise SH for being bias and unjust father. 

Personally, I've enjoyed the journey of TSOML, probably because I had no expectations to begin with.

Never read the book, didn't really know what to expect, didn't even know the production company is the one that produces all the great cdramas of recent years. 

I felt that I could relate to a lot of the characters, even the antagonistic ones. 

Most antagonist in the show isn't antagonistic merely because their character is so, which a lot of shows do. 

That there are something, someone, that made them that way. 

That none of the protagonists are perfect, for they too are human, flawed, and have their weaknesses. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 11
  • Insightful 7

I admired SH acting. When he said that this is ML true nature. And ML replied she is a person who remembered people who did good to her

And asked him, do you remember my mother's face? Her birthday date? Her favourite color? Let's continue doing this house's matters in muddled way, why bother ask.. then ML leaved

SH cried silently.

That scenes really touched my heart

How deep he regretted his actions

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Thanks @dito and @linhlinh111 for the details! :)

Personally, I think I could understand the deviation, and the dramatization. 

The fact that ML is not transmigrated would make a lot of difference. 

As @linhlinh111 pointed out, we have on one side, a fully grown adult stuck in a little girls body, experienced things in life, a lot more jaded and matured. In the drama, we have an actual girl that was forced to grow up faster than she should, hence she would have a child hidden inside. Infatuation, puppy love..

With that, QH became someone that actually moved ML at a point, even if she knew that it's simply impossible due to status differences. 

But because of the feelings between ML-QH, the conversation that ML was supposed to have with GTY, she had with QH, so from viewers pov, it becomes redundant if she has the same with GTY.

And it seems that because GTY was actually there to witness the death of ML's mom, and saw first hand how it affected her, his understanding of her is deeper in the drama. 

Plus their conversation after he saved her from the river, have given him a better understanding of women of their time. 

In terms of over dramatization, incl Molan actually having the affair, personally I think it's what sells with general population. 

While some appreciates the historical accuracy and the accuracy of props and lighting etc, it seems that general viewers prefer a more dramatic show, with lots going, lots of action, lots of drama..

And that drives ratings and profitability...

For one, I've seen multiple comments on multiple sites that the show's too dark, too dim especially the night scenes. 

I appreciate the accuracy, but also enjoy the dramatization, and thought the show did reasonably well balancing the two. 

As some chingus pointed out, SH is actually not a bad father, considering the era they lived in. 

ML going all out against the father would be greatly frowned upon as filial piety was probably more important than anything else at that time. 

Yet, we as viewers are looking from a 21st century lense, with modern thinking, morals and ethics. Sometimes as much as we try, we would never be able to understand those of that time, because we have never experienced them. 

Hence, we applauded ML for finally standing up to the dad, and we criticise SH for being bias and unjust father. 

Personally, I've enjoyed the journey of TSOML, probably because I had no expectations to begin with.

Never read the book, didn't really know what to expect, didn't even know the production company is the one that produces all the great cdramas of recent years. 

I felt that I could relate to a lot of the characters, even the antagonistic ones. 

Most antagonist in the show isn't antagonistic merely because their character is so, which a lot of shows do. 

That none of the protagonists are perfect, for they too are human, flawed, and have their weaknesses. 

Just my 2 cents. 

I never read the novel and don't plan to do so..

I agree with u.. for those who don't like the dramatisation, personally i think it's all about preferation.

So far TSOML doesn't let me down

Usually i watched cdrama after finished since i need to know is the ending sad or happy first.

But wiki said it's happy ending so i decided to watch it without waiting. And here i am, stuck with this cdrama LOL.. waiting everyday for the raw eps

• Like 11

@nichiwoohee @leeza77

I actually don't think GTY will be able to handle her if she's really jealous tho. 

Not because he's incapable to, but because he doesn't have the heart to. 

Once, ML said that if he feels sorry because she did so much, he just needs to lose to her for 2 rounds of touhu games. 

GTY responded that "I'll lose to you forever"..

It felt like he meant more than just the games. 

That he will give in to her...

So it seems GTY only wanted ML to be anxious, but not quite ready to deal with the ML that's actually angry anxious. 

That's why GTY told CB that he won't let him go if ML gets mad at him over prostitute Wei. 

The way he reacts when ML brought up prostitute Wei was funny.

And more hilarious, when he was happy that ML is jealous of FengXian, but then looked totally bewildered when ML went to the extent of asking XiaoTao to not help him get dressed! :lol:

• Like 8
  • LOL 6

Spoiler
16 minutes ago, tinast said:

I never read the novel and don't plan to do so..

I agree with u.. for those who don't like the dramatisation, personally i think it's all about preferation.

So far TSOML doesn't let me down

Usually i watched cdrama after finished since i need to know is the ending sad or happy first.

But wiki said it's happy ending so i decided to watch it without waiting. And here i am, stuck with this cdrama LOL.. waiting everyday for the raw eps

We are in the same boat @tinast 

Jumped in cuz I read this is happy ending and I generally enjoy period dramas. And I've enjoyed ZLY's dramas as she has a knack of picking strong female leads, not the damsel in distress in need of saving all the time. With the idea of if it disappoints, I'll just drop it. 

Spoiler
25 minutes ago, tinast said:

I admired SH acting. When he said that this is ML true nature. And ML replied she is a person who remembered people who did good to her

And asked him, do you remember my mother's face? Her birthday date? Her favourite color? Let's continue doing this house's matters in muddled way, why bother ask.. then ML leaved

SH cried silently.

That scenes really touched my heart

How deep he regretted his actions

Actually I really liked the acting of most actors and actresses in this show. All of them are pretty strong. 

But I do especially like that scene between SH-ML coming clean about her being pretentious all these while...felt like it was long time coming. 

That finally ML would say that to his face, and that SH could not retort. Could see that he wasn't even angry...because deep down, he knew it wasn't untrue. 

After ML left, it shows SH trying to pick up the Go piece on the floor, and he couldn't reach it.

It was visually spot on, and felt there was a deeper meaning to it...that SH could no longer go back and pick up the pieces that he "dropped" in the past.

No longer correct the wrongs. 

No longer repair the damage...

That he has a hand in ML being who she is today...

• Like 16

21 minutes ago, m0us3y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

We are in the same boat @tinast 

Jumped in cuz I read this is happy ending and I generally enjoy period dramas. And I've enjoyed ZLY's dramas as she has a knack of picking strong female leads, not the damsel in distress in need of saving all the time. With the idea of if it disappoints, I'll just drop it. 

Reveal hidden contents

Actually I really liked the acting of most actors and actresses in this show. All of them are pretty strong. 

But I do especially like that scene between SH-ML coming clean about her being pretentious all these while...felt like it was long time coming. 

That finally ML would say that to his face, and that SH could not retort. Could see that he wasn't even angry...because deep down, he knew it wasn't untrue. 

After ML left, it shows SH trying to pick up the Go piece on the floor, and he couldn't reach it.

It was visually spot on, and felt there was a deeper meaning to it...that SH could no longer go back and pick up the pieces that he "dropped" in the past.

No longer correct the wrongs. 

No longer repair the damage...

That he has a hand in ML being who she is today...

The actor played SH commented on his wb about the scene;

48f36fd3ly8fzxnjp9xr1j20ro0ro40b.jpg

Liu Wei 

2-7 10:29 from Huawei MateRS Porsche Design

Why did the red wolf pick up the pieces? Why didn't you pick up and finally cry? What is the meaning? Everyone is coming to guess. (Answer A: The chess piece means Minglan, lost the daughter, and pushes farther and farther. B: It is revealed by the daughter, trying to control the emotion. C: It is just the reluctance of the red wolf. D: I can’t insist on the opposite, I become my own. Obstacles. E: I sigh that I am old, and I can't even get a piece of chess. F: The red wolf is too short to reach. G: The screenwriter makes you sly, and you have nothing to do.) Welcome everyone to add. @知否知否是绿肥红瘦官微[doge][doge]
  • Like 3
  • LOL 7

Looking at the preview, it doesn't seem like Aunt Kang's death is the single reason for GTY's imprisonment. 

It seems more like the trigger, and everyone else just adds their accusations on top of it.

In short, it seems to have made it look like GTY misused his power and status to bully the weak and hopeless. 

With his existing reputation of rebellious, domineering, unfilial child, with horrible temper, and uncontrollable, it's not that hard to make him look like he's the biggest jerk/bully in capital with too much power in his hands. 

May not be true, but certainly plausible with his reputation. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

8 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Liu Wei 

Why did the red wolf pick up the pieces? Why didn't you pick up and finally cry? What is the meaning? Everyone is coming to guess. (Answer A: The chess piece means Minglan, lost the daughter, and pushes farther and farther. B: It is revealed by the daughter, trying to control the emotion. C: It is just the reluctance of the red wolf. D: I can’t insist on the opposite, I become my own. Obstacles. E: I sigh that I am old, and I can't even get a piece of chess. F: The red wolf is too short to reach. G: The screenwriter makes you sly, and you have nothing to do.) Welcome everyone to add. @知否知否是绿肥红瘦官微[doge][doge]

B for me

• Like 5

All the villains come together to accuse gty.. I'm so anxious and readily to defend him despite the facts that i didn't understand what they are talking about, just the reactions of gty and the villains make me want to jump into the drama and give a good slap to each one of th villains :triumph:... Really good at pretending as victims. 

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4337879229356211

• Like 8
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

Just my 2 cents. 

This said it all.. I didn't hold any kind of prelude expectations be it as regards the alignment with the novel or in regards to the aspect of the production agency.. It's just a normal chines drama for me and I have been really enjoying it all the way.. There is no low quality for me here, in terms of setting or story, or plot development or characterization or romance.. This for me is a perfect drama I will definitely watch over and over again.. TSoML is that drama for me 

• Like 10
  • Love 4

16 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Looking at the preview, it doesn't seem like Aunt Kang's death is the single reason for GTY's imprisonment. 

It seems more like the trigger, and everyone else just adds their accusations on top of it.

In short, it seems to have made it look like GTY misused his power and status to bully the weak and hopeless. 

With his existing reputation of rebellious, domineering, unfilial child, with horrible temper, and uncontrollable, it's not that hard to make him look like he's the biggest jerk/bully in capital with too much power in his hands. 

May not be true, but certainly plausible with his reputation. 

All accusations are piled up on gty's head. I'm agree with ml when she said the reason why she didn't write to him, about grandma poisoning was because she feared gty will face problems because of this. His reputation was not spotless. Thanks to the evil stepmom. Well, what ml's afraid of has manifested. Poor ml. 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

All accusations are piled up on gty's head. I'm agree with ml when she said the reason why she didn't write to him, about grandma poisoning was because she feared gty will face problems because of this. His reputation was not spotless. Thanks to the evil stepmom. Well, what ml's afraid of has manifested. Poor ml. 

i don't understand tho. don't they have written testimonies that can prove kang and manning are evil bitchess? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mingerling said:

i don't understand tho. don't they have written testimonies that can prove kang and manning are evil bitchess? 

They only have that but they didn't even report to the local court when the case happened, so the written testimonies are very much invalid and it looks like a lot of people came to accuse GTY for misusing power

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Suzzy San said:

They only have that but they didn't even report to the local court when the case happened, so the written testimonies are very much invalid and it looks like a lot of people came to accuse GTY for misusing power

oh shitttt!! my poor babiesss :bawling:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Spoiler
39 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Liu Wei 

Hahahahaha.

Did he reveal the answer @leeza77?

What's truly sad was that he had a few opportunities before. 

When the Momo from palace came and gave them all "the lesson", SH was aware, and he took a step forward to reconcile and reconnect with ML, only to take 3 steps back right after when something more "urgent" called for him. 

When Molan asked for CL to be moved to the temple, and ML fought tooth and nail against it, having her first outburst since the mum's death..

When she finally asked (subsequently demanded) for grandma to be given justice over her poisoning, she was at the last straw...

That slap from SH sealed it...

That he has chosen to turn a blind eye and stay muddled for reputation..

But to have ML saying it as they are, to his face, his facade, pretenses, could no longer hold, the facade fading away. 

• Like 8