[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

To me, I can see why they added more to Aunty Kang storyline and switched from MN to Aunty Kang in the attack/fire part. They cut out GTY’s first wife that was in the novel. Her death played a large role in the deaths of Third Gu brother’s family and Stepmom’s downfall (first wife’s family got revenge after finding out Stepmom was behind first wife’s death). Without her, they used the collaboration between Stepmom and Aunty Kang so it may be the Wangs (instead of Yu’s in the novel) that gets revenge on Stepmom when they realize the truth that it was her that used Aunt Kang and got her killed. Not having the first wife also brought about the earlier death of GTY’s illegitimate son since he couldn’t be used like in the novel (attempted adoption under dead first wife’s name by her family). So I saw all this as a way to tie up some of those loose ends. It’s just hard to watch all those baddies banding together but if GTY going away is a plan to flush out ED’s rebellion, I can see all this public display being allowed to play out as a way to hush the critics since it is full disclosure on why GTY should be allowed to split up the branches of the family. MN returning, on the other hand is overkill and should have been cut.  I get that there are probably better ways to do it but there’s not many episodes left to do it in.  Either way I am enjoying this drama :)

• Like 16
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

24 minutes ago, hello210 said:

To me, I can see why they added more to Aunty Kang storyline and switched from MN to Aunty Kang in the attack/fire part. They cut out GTY’s first wife that was in the novel. Her death played a large role in the deaths of Third Gu brother’s family and Stepmom’s downfall (first wife’s family got revenge after finding out Stepmom was behind first wife’s death). Without her, they used the collaboration between Stepmom and Aunty Kang. Not having the first wife also brought about the earlier death of GTY’s illegitimate son since he couldn’t be used like in the novel (attempted adoption under dead first wife’s name by her family). So I saw all this as a way to tie up some of those loose ends. It’s just hard to watch all those baddies banding together but if GTY going away is a plan to flush out ED’s rebellion, I can see all this public display being allowed to play out as a way to hush the critics since it is full disclosure on why GTY should be allowed to split up the branches of the family. MN returning, on the other hand is overkill and should have been cut.  I get that there are probably better ways to do it but there’s not many episodes left to do it in.  Either way I am enjoying this drama :)

Thank you for the explanation.I didn't read the book this helps to make sense of the plot.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

LOL at stepmom getting angry at GTY for burning down GTW’s courtyard while all these time she has been trying to kill GTY and ML. At least GTW seems to have a clear head and instead of blaming GTY for the fire at his house, he and his wife blamed the mother instead. As his wife said, GTW tried to have a peaceful life with his brother but mother keeps on interfering. I really hope they keep GTW character and not turning him into a spiteful character like his stepmom, because I think GTW really like GTY but got caught in his mother’s mess. 

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

I really want to believe that the emperor is playing dumb because if he is not, he is really a muddled emperor.. Even to the point of accusing the empress of wishing him illness so that prince Huan can be on the throne with the help of GTY.. That's such a delusional thoughts that shouldn't come to the mind of a wise king.. Please I hope the writers are just making him play dumb 

@Suzzy San me thinks that the emperor has got a plan or using a strategem to create something from nothing as in acting angry with GTY, CB and Prince Huan and make the Dowager's camp believe in the emperor's suspicion of Prince Huan, his accusation of the empress conspiring to make her son, Prince Huan the heir to the throne and the emperor being muddled because of his headaches. I am not sure if the empress is part of the act but maybe she is, since she was the one who mentioned that the emperor had a headache  The emperor  was yelling loudly knowing that the eunuch was listening, and it was the same eunuch who gave the imperial edict to TY to report to the emperor.  Knowing TY the emperor would not expect TY to report to him when his house is on fire. The eunuch he sent with his edict will report that TY will not comply which will make the emperor act mad and the eunuch will report to the dowager and the concubine who came running in with snacks.  In other words the emperor could be baiting the Dowager Empress to believe the lie and make the dowager react by showing her hand, and exposing her supporters.  When that happens, the emperor's team will know how and where to attack. Remember that there are strategists in emperor's team. Chang Bai, Ming Lan and Ting Ye. General Shen has also layed low since that concubine incident but he may secretly be in contact with TY and Prince Huan. Chang Bai has also taken center stage and maybe be the emperor's chief strategist at the moment and he and Ting Ye devised the plan with the emperor? Did not the actor playing the emperor swear that the emperor is not muddled? However, I looked at the trailers posted and it seems TY is in prison and General Shen and his wife are not able to help? but crossing my fingers.

I hope that by now Yuan Ruo realizes the intentions of the dowager and help with the emperor's team or at least stop supporting the dowager.

Every episode have conversations that question family values that when adhered to strictly destroys families

@minoku2209the trailer shows a flashback of the young ML holding the embroidery that her mother gave her of the Princess Zhao general who helped her father to become king, and giving that embroidery to the young GTY. It seems that finally, GTY presents it back to ML and that scene will be played out in the dowager's rebellion? 

• Like 11
  • Insightful 2

So funny when Gu 3rd son's wife told her mother in law that the flicker of fire that burned their courtyard was in the form of a tall man named Sitou.

I think the Emperor and Empress is staging an act for the Empress Dowager benefit.

Gu Ting Ye, Ming Lan and baby family moments is so lovely to watch.

Gu Ting Ye got the reaction he wanted from Ming Lan when she questioned him on Mistress Wei.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

5 hours ago, minoku2209 said:

1) Congrats TSoML team.

2) Updt extended tv airing sched to 13 Feb

3 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Webcast reached 10 billions

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

So happy for the team :bawling: I remember many were skeptical and already deemed the drama as boring etc from the early episodes, some even joyfully said yingbao is declining <_<

Edited by angelangie
Mod Edit: Do not Quote Images
  • Like 7
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Jackie1048 said:

So funny when Gu 3rd son's wife told her mother in law that the flicker of fire that burned their courtyard was in.a form of a tall man named Sitou.

I think the Emperor and Empress is staging an act for the Empress Dowager benefit.

Gu Ting Ye, Ming Lan and baby family moments is so lovely to watch.

Gu Ting Ye got the reaction he wanted from Ming Lan when she questioned him on Mistress Wei.

Be careful what u wish for.. Ml have been racking her brain on how to meet that Prostitute. Xiaotao compounded the matter when she told ml about the talents of the prostitute.. Ha ha. Ml even suggested to book her. 

Gty scolded CB for telling ml about the prostitute. Then CB retorted that u want ml to be jealous.. So, this is the good way for her feel unrest...very bad CB. :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 13

Thanks @dito and @linhlinh111 for the details! :)

Personally, I think I could understand the deviation, and the dramatization. 

The fact that ML is not transmigrated would make a lot of difference. 

As @linhlinh111 pointed out, we have on one side, a fully grown adult stuck in a little girls body, experienced things in life, a lot more jaded and matured. In the drama, we have an actual girl that was forced to grow up faster than she should, hence she would have a child hidden inside. Infatuation, puppy love..

With that, QH became someone that actually moved ML at a point, even if she knew that it's simply impossible due to status differences. 

But because of the feelings between ML-QH, the conversation that ML was supposed to have with GTY, she had with QH, so from viewers pov, it becomes redundant if she has the same with GTY.

And it seems that because GTY was actually there to witness the death of ML's mom, and saw first hand how it affected her, his understanding of her is deeper in the drama. 

Plus their conversation after he saved her from the river, have given him a better understanding of women of their time. 

In terms of over dramatization, incl Molan actually having the affair, personally I think it's what sells with general population. 

While some appreciates the historical accuracy and the accuracy of props and lighting etc, it seems that general viewers prefer a more dramatic show, with lots going, lots of action, lots of drama..

And that drives ratings and profitability...

For one, I've seen multiple comments on multiple sites that the show's too dark, too dim especially the night scenes. 

I appreciate the accuracy, but also enjoy the dramatization, and thought the show did reasonably well balancing the two. 

As some chingus pointed out, SH is actually not a bad father, considering the era they lived in. 

ML going all out against the father would be greatly frowned upon as filial piety was probably more important than anything else at that time. 

Yet, we as viewers are looking from a 21st century lense, with modern thinking, morals and ethics. Sometimes as much as we try, we would never be able to understand those of that time, because we have never experienced them. 

Hence, we applauded ML for finally standing up to the dad, and we criticise SH for being bias and unjust father. 

Personally, I've enjoyed the journey of TSOML, probably because I had no expectations to begin with.

Never read the book, didn't really know what to expect, didn't even know the production company is the one that produces all the great cdramas of recent years. 

I felt that I could relate to a lot of the characters, even the antagonistic ones. 

Most antagonist in the show isn't antagonistic merely because their character is so, which a lot of shows do. 

That there are something, someone, that made them that way. 

That none of the protagonists are perfect, for they too are human, flawed, and have their weaknesses. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 12
  • Insightful 7

I admired SH acting. When he said that this is ML true nature. And ML replied she is a person who remembered people who did good to her

And asked him, do you remember my mother's face? Her birthday date? Her favourite color? Let's continue doing this house's matters in muddled way, why bother ask.. then ML leaved

SH cried silently.

That scenes really touched my heart

How deep he regretted his actions

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Thanks @dito and @linhlinh111 for the details! :)

Personally, I think I could understand the deviation, and the dramatization. 

The fact that ML is not transmigrated would make a lot of difference. 

As @linhlinh111 pointed out, we have on one side, a fully grown adult stuck in a little girls body, experienced things in life, a lot more jaded and matured. In the drama, we have an actual girl that was forced to grow up faster than she should, hence she would have a child hidden inside. Infatuation, puppy love..

With that, QH became someone that actually moved ML at a point, even if she knew that it's simply impossible due to status differences. 

But because of the feelings between ML-QH, the conversation that ML was supposed to have with GTY, she had with QH, so from viewers pov, it becomes redundant if she has the same with GTY.

And it seems that because GTY was actually there to witness the death of ML's mom, and saw first hand how it affected her, his understanding of her is deeper in the drama. 

Plus their conversation after he saved her from the river, have given him a better understanding of women of their time. 

In terms of over dramatization, incl Molan actually having the affair, personally I think it's what sells with general population. 

While some appreciates the historical accuracy and the accuracy of props and lighting etc, it seems that general viewers prefer a more dramatic show, with lots going, lots of action, lots of drama..

And that drives ratings and profitability...

For one, I've seen multiple comments on multiple sites that the show's too dark, too dim especially the night scenes. 

I appreciate the accuracy, but also enjoy the dramatization, and thought the show did reasonably well balancing the two. 

As some chingus pointed out, SH is actually not a bad father, considering the era they lived in. 

ML going all out against the father would be greatly frowned upon as filial piety was probably more important than anything else at that time. 

Yet, we as viewers are looking from a 21st century lense, with modern thinking, morals and ethics. Sometimes as much as we try, we would never be able to understand those of that time, because we have never experienced them. 

Hence, we applauded ML for finally standing up to the dad, and we criticise SH for being bias and unjust father. 

Personally, I've enjoyed the journey of TSOML, probably because I had no expectations to begin with.

Never read the book, didn't really know what to expect, didn't even know the production company is the one that produces all the great cdramas of recent years. 

I felt that I could relate to a lot of the characters, even the antagonistic ones. 

Most antagonist in the show isn't antagonistic merely because their character is so, which a lot of shows do. 

That there are something, someone, that made them that way. 

That none of the protagonists are perfect, for they too are human, flawed, and have their weaknesses. 

Just my 2 cents. 

I never read the novel and don't plan to do so..

I agree with u.. for those who don't like the dramatisation, personally i think it's all about preferation.

So far TSOML doesn't let me down

Usually i watched cdrama after finished since i need to know is the ending sad or happy first.

But wiki said it's happy ending so i decided to watch it without waiting. And here i am, stuck with this cdrama LOL.. waiting everyday for the raw eps

• Like 12

@nichiwoohee @leeza77

I actually don't think GTY will be able to handle her if she's really jealous tho. 

Not because he's incapable to, but because he doesn't have the heart to. 

Once, ML said that if he feels sorry because she did so much, he just needs to lose to her for 2 rounds of touhu games. 

GTY responded that "I'll lose to you forever"..

It felt like he meant more than just the games. 

That he will give in to her...

So it seems GTY only wanted ML to be anxious, but not quite ready to deal with the ML that's actually angry anxious. 

That's why GTY told CB that he won't let him go if ML gets mad at him over prostitute Wei. 

The way he reacts when ML brought up prostitute Wei was funny.

And more hilarious, when he was happy that ML is jealous of FengXian, but then looked totally bewildered when ML went to the extent of asking XiaoTao to not help him get dressed! :lol:

• Like 9
  • LOL 6

Spoiler
16 minutes ago, tinast said:

I never read the novel and don't plan to do so..

I agree with u.. for those who don't like the dramatisation, personally i think it's all about preferation.

So far TSOML doesn't let me down

Usually i watched cdrama after finished since i need to know is the ending sad or happy first.

But wiki said it's happy ending so i decided to watch it without waiting. And here i am, stuck with this cdrama LOL.. waiting everyday for the raw eps

We are in the same boat @tinast 

Jumped in cuz I read this is happy ending and I generally enjoy period dramas. And I've enjoyed ZLY's dramas as she has a knack of picking strong female leads, not the damsel in distress in need of saving all the time. With the idea of if it disappoints, I'll just drop it. 

Spoiler
25 minutes ago, tinast said:

I admired SH acting. When he said that this is ML true nature. And ML replied she is a person who remembered people who did good to her

And asked him, do you remember my mother's face? Her birthday date? Her favourite color? Let's continue doing this house's matters in muddled way, why bother ask.. then ML leaved

SH cried silently.

That scenes really touched my heart

How deep he regretted his actions

Actually I really liked the acting of most actors and actresses in this show. All of them are pretty strong. 

But I do especially like that scene between SH-ML coming clean about her being pretentious all these while...felt like it was long time coming. 

That finally ML would say that to his face, and that SH could not retort. Could see that he wasn't even angry...because deep down, he knew it wasn't untrue. 

After ML left, it shows SH trying to pick up the Go piece on the floor, and he couldn't reach it.

It was visually spot on, and felt there was a deeper meaning to it...that SH could no longer go back and pick up the pieces that he "dropped" in the past.

No longer correct the wrongs. 

No longer repair the damage...

That he has a hand in ML being who she is today...

• Like 16

21 minutes ago, m0us3y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

We are in the same boat @tinast 

Jumped in cuz I read this is happy ending and I generally enjoy period dramas. And I've enjoyed ZLY's dramas as she has a knack of picking strong female leads, not the damsel in distress in need of saving all the time. With the idea of if it disappoints, I'll just drop it. 

Reveal hidden contents

Actually I really liked the acting of most actors and actresses in this show. All of them are pretty strong. 

But I do especially like that scene between SH-ML coming clean about her being pretentious all these while...felt like it was long time coming. 

That finally ML would say that to his face, and that SH could not retort. Could see that he wasn't even angry...because deep down, he knew it wasn't untrue. 

After ML left, it shows SH trying to pick up the Go piece on the floor, and he couldn't reach it.

It was visually spot on, and felt there was a deeper meaning to it...that SH could no longer go back and pick up the pieces that he "dropped" in the past.

No longer correct the wrongs. 

No longer repair the damage...

That he has a hand in ML being who she is today...

The actor played SH commented on his wb about the scene;

48f36fd3ly8fzxnjp9xr1j20ro0ro40b.jpg

Liu Wei 

2-7 10:29 from Huawei MateRS Porsche Design

Why did the red wolf pick up the pieces? Why didn't you pick up and finally cry? What is the meaning? Everyone is coming to guess. (Answer A: The chess piece means Minglan, lost the daughter, and pushes farther and farther. B: It is revealed by the daughter, trying to control the emotion. C: It is just the reluctance of the red wolf. D: I can’t insist on the opposite, I become my own. Obstacles. E: I sigh that I am old, and I can't even get a piece of chess. F: The red wolf is too short to reach. G: The screenwriter makes you sly, and you have nothing to do.) Welcome everyone to add. @知否知否是绿肥红瘦官微[doge][doge]
  • Like 3
  • LOL 7

Looking at the preview, it doesn't seem like Aunt Kang's death is the single reason for GTY's imprisonment. 

It seems more like the trigger, and everyone else just adds their accusations on top of it.

In short, it seems to have made it look like GTY misused his power and status to bully the weak and hopeless. 

With his existing reputation of rebellious, domineering, unfilial child, with horrible temper, and uncontrollable, it's not that hard to make him look like he's the biggest jerk/bully in capital with too much power in his hands. 

May not be true, but certainly plausible with his reputation. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

8 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

The actor played SH commented on his wb about the scene;

48f36fd3ly8fzxnjp9xr1j20ro0ro40b.jpg

Liu Wei 

2-7 10:29 from Huawei MateRS Porsche Design

Why did the red wolf pick up the pieces? Why didn't you pick up and finally cry? What is the meaning? Everyone is coming to guess. (Answer A: The chess piece means Minglan, lost the daughter, and pushes farther and farther. B: It is revealed by the daughter, trying to control the emotion. C: It is just the reluctance of the red wolf. D: I can’t insist on the opposite, I become my own. Obstacles. E: I sigh that I am old, and I can't even get a piece of chess. F: The red wolf is too short to reach. G: The screenwriter makes you sly, and you have nothing to do.) Welcome everyone to add. @知否知否是绿肥红瘦官微[doge][doge]

B for me

• Like 5