Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

1 hour ago, mooose said:

Are you saying the pretext for GTY imprisonment is too flimsy? I think its a great showcase to expose ED and Wang opportunism. Outside the families no one really knows what went on, so it is believable to me that people would think that the Emperor was just coming down hard on GTY because Prince Huan's faction was out of favour.

If the writers had used a case was that was more severe, then it would be difficult to explain why he keeps his title and is able to rebound later on. I am not sure why he was imprisoned in the novel?

He was not imprisoned in the novel. This whole plot of GTY's downfall is written just for the drama. They could have not gone with the imprisonment and just shown GTY getting demoted. That could have worked well too. They even had the reason all ready. He came back to the capital without emperor's orders and leaving his post. That is actually a criminal offense. There was no need to make it all super dramatic and then have ML coming to the rescue. She just gave birth to a baby in life threatening circumstances....not to forget she had been stressed to the max just a few days before over granny's life or death situation.....just let the girl rest and recover.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, dito said:

He was not imprisoned in the novel. This whole plot of GTY's downfall is written just for the drama. They could have not gone with the imprisonment and just shown GTY getting demoted. That could have worked well too. They even had the reason all ready. He came back to the capital without emperor's orders and leaving his post. That is actually a criminal offense. There was no need to make it all super dramatic and then have ML coming to the rescue. She just gave birth to a baby in life threatening circumstances....not to forget she had been stressed to the max just a few days before over granny's life or death situation.....just let the girl rest and recover.

I mean if it's not dramatic then it's not a drama.. :lol:.. I really love how they are using the crappy reasons to maybe imprison him since we don't know how it would be.. That's why it's fictional and just based on fantasy imagination.. They are just adapting the novel and not recreating the novel. So they definitely would want to make some dramatic and unreasonable plot to it that would definitely not happen in real life.. So in the end, it's just a fictional fantasy traditional drama where everything, reasonable or unreasonable, can be proposed. :)

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

38 minutes ago, dito said:

@ditoThanks for the info about GTY’s downfall and it seems so much easy to do less work for the actors. Lol lol I guess the writer wanted it to be dramatic and not realistic. 

@Suzzy San We are thinking the same thing. It should be dramatic for  “THE DRAMA “ lol lol

• Like 4

Omg guys looks like there will be a trial for this case and someone brought Manniang back to testify against GTY, woah, this is intense.. Since they neither reported Manniang case or Kang auntie case to the court before this opposing side did, looks like it will be hard to make a believable eveidence now.. Omg I'm so excited for what's coming.. Let the drama begin

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, shenmiao98 said:

How many episodes remain in the uncut version?

I think it's still 73 ep for the uncut version or is it also slated for 79 eps now.. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Suzzy San said:

I think it's still 73 ep for the uncut version or is it also slated for 79 eps now.. 

Oh 

I thought they'd maybe extended it 

Thanks anyways

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

Omooo ... Manniang is back again :confounded: I kinda thought they will bring her back when they decided to just sent her to a farm.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  Ugh!  

• Angry 1
  • LOL 7

6 hours ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Other men, whether like or hate their legal wives can keep as many concubines to their hearts desires.

Must be really difficult to be a woman during those times

@Katrina Abdul Talib  This was Aunt Kang biggest problem. After CL died and she found Danning and her husband marriage had improved she got furious about it and stormed out trying to figure out ways to disrupt her sisters house.. Using Grannty was pwrfect way and she could also get money out of the Gu's since she hated the fact of hearing ML won't take in a concubine for him but I'm sure she knew it wasn;t to no fault of ML that GTY wasn't going to have a concubine it was GTY himsef who said he didn;t want no other women but ML.. He just wasn't ready to take in a concubine all because of Manning.. This also upset Aunt Kamg with jealous rage hearing a Marquis decide to give his love to know one but his main wife who was a concubine born child..

I'm just curious to why she didn't take her Shu daughter to her sister husband to be his concubine.. CL was dead at that time..

6 hours ago, mooose said:

Now we have the battle of the familes and some delicious suspense as we don't know how it  plays out. Old Madam Kang vs ML is way better than Manniang or even Stepmom vs ML.

@moose  I'm looking forward to see how ML bring Old Lady Wang prestigous house down causing the ED also to loose face and hopefully to shut her up once and for all.. I'm hoping ML play the Shu daughters cards with the Old Bat.. Especially the one she told to kill herself in ML house so she could sue for money just to be able to support her husband sons he bore with many concubines.. 

What I'm finding hard to believe is all those servants that got harmed but Aunt Kangs knife is all supposed to be lying.. I see another attempt on ML life afer GTY is sent to the border.. 

Hopefully Ronger will testify how her mom tried to kill her maybe she'll even come out with her son who might not be dead.. But I still see Evil step mom going after ML and her son life

• Like 3

Now I'm wondering what GTY Aunt will think about these aqusation brought against him by evil step mom and the 4th anf 5th house.. Will she also go to bat for her nephew knowing that step mother is out to gain her son the marquis title and if she gets it's she'll cut the rest of the Gu houses out for good according to the wil..l 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

I mean if it's not dramatic then it's not a drama.. :lol:.. I really love how they are using the crappy reasons to maybe imprison him since we don't know how it would be.. That's why it's fictional and just based on fantasy imagination.. They are just adapting the novel and not recreating the novel. So they definitely would want to make some dramatic and unreasonable plot to it that would definitely not happen in real life.. So in the end, it's just a fictional fantasy traditional drama where everything, reasonable or unreasonable, can be proposed. :)

Today in politics (real life) we see all sorts of unbelievable dramas.. just to muddle up voters mind.

So this drama is no exception, poor HS for one you can see him flustered and gawking left centre and right.

• Like 3

Again,  SH surprised that ML isnt the same docile gentle daughter that he know is hilarious.

Have you seen the troubles your marquis son-in-law brought to ml’s life?? Murderous stepmom in law, nosy annoying aunts and uncles in laws, corrupt village officials, spies, cunning crazy baby momma, emperor power strugle with ed, people trying to shove women to her house every chance they got.. it would be a miracle if she stays the same :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

All the villains are crawling out of the wood works to proclaim a united front and bring GTY down.Looks like people who were helped by them desert the couple in their need.

It is them v/s all.

The plotting will be heightened henceforth.Waiting for ML to go on the offense and not spare them at all.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Again,  SH surprised that ML isnt the same docile gentle daughter that he know is hilarious.

Have you seen the troubles your marquis son-in-law brought to ml’s life?? Murderous stepmom in law, nosy annoying aunts and uncles in laws, corrupt village officials, spies, cunning crazy baby momma, emperor power strugle with ed, people trying to shove women to her house every chance they got.. it would be a miracle if she stays the same :joy:

:sweat_smile: so true, she was always not gentke but she didn't show it but after all the troubles, she just had to show them who she is.. I'm so sad about what's to come 

33 minutes ago, minglanfan said:

Looks like the empress is not willing to help ML

So sad she can't help them too, I think she has actually begged the king before in this matter but he dismissed her and got angry at her.. So, maybe so that people don't say she wants prince Huan to rebel, that's why she is now choosing to not help.. But it's still so sad and like ML said during grandma's case, it's those that are willing to give it all up that can help sincerely..... ML let's bang that drum for justice.. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

I love that line.:lol:Now all watchers are in the same boat.No one knows how it will unfold from here on.The emperor has been giving mixed signals.In epi 65 it looked like he was putting up a show and had things up his sleeve...In epi 67 he seems to have forgotten that GTY doesn't care much about trying to become a power center by himself.He is a loyal supporter and would like to remain so.He is becoming a pro at oscillating like SH.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, dito said:

They should have kept the original scene from the book....Molan coming out wet from the water.

Though that wouldn't have caused the same furore as the one Colin Firth caused in his wet shirt in P&P.:blush:

I agree with @minglan1 that 1995 TV version is the best P&P ever.

Anyways, I have to admit with all its inaccuracies and hard to make sense plot twists....this drama is still much better than the others out there. 

I just have to stop watching the freaking previews. They are seriously stressing me out.

But I'm a spoiler addict ...can't help but have a peek.:grimace:

I don't mind a few flaws but when it's such an obvious plot hole then it's irritating to watch.

This drama is actually better than the majority, but it is how it's supposed to be. I rarely watch C drama in the past few years, cuz the quality's been going down, nonsense script writing, crappy idol actors, lousy productions etc. Most big IPs spend a fortune on popular idols, inducing cliche protagonists, trying to squeeze money from female audiences. I normally only watch a drama when it's over with good reviews. Especially with ZLY, her recent dramas all started well but ended up like richard simmons. However I decided to follow TSoML from the beginning bc of 2 reasons:

1. I really like the original novel

2. I have trust in Daylight Entertainment. If you don't know Daylight Entertainment has quite a reputation in drama land recently. Most of their products have really high quality, like NiF, Battle of Changsha, Ode of joy... (I watch all of them). They always put careful preparation and great effort in their production, and they reuse most of their supporting actors (which I like). That's why I have high hopes for this drama and willing to take the risk before the final scene is out, although I was a little worried about the main cast. None of the main leads are recognized for their acting abilities and Daylight Entertainment is known for not working with idol actors. However, TSoML is a big IP and I assume they know what they are doing.

The drama turns out fine, I mean it's fun watching but it doesn't live up to my expectations. The acting is average. There are a few moments of outstanding performances but most of the time it's average. The supporting roles are great though. But there 2 things that they disappointed me. First is the script-writing. I understand they had to change the plot here and there to fit the drama, but they should pay attention to the logic. This is not some lousy cheap production. This is Daylight Entertainment's second biggest drama of the year. It shouldn't make me think "Hey this doesn't make any sense". They had a really good source material at hand and they should have utilized it better. 

Second is the drama completely screwed up my 2 most awaiting scene: GTY and ML's 2 arguments. These 2 scenes in the book were so impressive and they were like, the roots, the foundation of their relationship so I was so excited to see it on screen. I'm so sorry to say none of them lived up to the hype.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1