Quantcast
Jump to content
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, hell59 said:

Thank you so much for the info. The one thing about Chinese dramas is that they are so long and I invest so much time in them and then in the end all the leads die. It is so frustrating. I was very hesitant in watching this because I watched Princess Agents which started so good and ended in disaster. I would like to see all evil people in this particular drama to finally get their punishment.

Another person scarred by PA...nice to meet you.:lol:

PA was the reason I stopped watching Chinese dramas for a few years. That drama's name should be "How to screw over the fans".

  • Like 1
  • LOL 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dito said:

 

I know this will be easier to prove than something that ED frames him for. I just want this to make sense. For e.g. GTY owns the Bai family salt mines but has never managed them personally. So ED framing him for mismanagement of salt mines....that would be believable for me. But in this case, there are a lot of loop holes in the writing....which is annoying the hell out of me. This is making smart characters look stupid and on the top of that its questioning the viewers intelligence. 

First of all Kang Aunt escaping is the biggest logic fail for me. Like is it possible that ML, GTY, Changbai or Sheng family would leave a vicious woman like her not locked up...and without guards. :confused:

Another thing mentioned in the book was no one among the people involved in this matter was high enough in rank to go in front of the emperor to petition for Kang Aunt...except for GTY and ML....because of their titles.  

Stepmom getting a title makes sense now.....so she can cause trouble like this.....but why is Wang mother and son there.....son is not an official, I think.

 Somebody, please explain this to me so it makes sense.

I agree things don't appear to logical.I guess they are wrapping it up and still have to tie GTY's getting in a tight spot and ML saving him.Emperor solidifying his throne for good.This appears the convenient way out.Logic and dramas tend to part ways then catch up to again lag behind.I have seen very few series which have kept a tight grip on logic throughout. 

I haven't read the book so have no idea on the plot progression in it.

Aunt Kang's father was a highly respected official looks like they are trying to use his good name to cry foul in front of ED/emperor.

I guess it also will give QH a chance to redeem himself.

  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dito said:

 

I know this will be easier to prove than something that ED frames him for. I just want this to make sense. For e.g. GTY owns the Bai family salt mines but has never managed them personally. So ED framing him for mismanagement of salt mines....that would be believable for me. But in this case, there are a lot of loop holes in the writing....which is annoying the hell out of me. This is making smart characters look stupid and on the top of that its questioning the viewers intelligence. 

First of all Kang Aunt escaping is the biggest logic fail for me. Like is it possible that ML, GTY, Changbai or Sheng family would leave a vicious woman like her not locked up...and without guards. :confused:

Another thing mentioned in the book was no one among the people involved in this matter was high enough in rank to go in front of the emperor to petition for Kang Aunt...except for GTY and ML....because of their titles.  

Stepmom getting a title makes sense now.....so she can cause trouble like this.....but why is Wang mother and son there.....son is not an official, I think.

 Somebody, please explain this to me so it makes sense.

As for how Kang auntie got out, the maid Molan sent into minglan's house sets fire in the kitchen first, then all guards went there so she sneaked to bang down Kang aunt's door and Kang aunt ran out and went to step mom who helped her get into ML's house when she was in labor .. Wang mother and the others were given audience by the ED and of you don't forget they already said the Wang family are prestigious and are somehow close to imperial family in terms of what they mightve done in the past.. But forgetting that, the ED gave them an audience with the king since they are reporting a high official.. For the Bai family's salt business, if you remember he no longer deal with the Bai family salt again directly so the ED wouldn't even make a point there.. I think this is the logic the writers are trying to create.. But really they must accuse him of something more than this crappy kang's death because it won't make any intensifying sense to put him in prison for this alone.. So I hope another reason is behind the arrest like him leaving his army behind and not requesting for a leave before returning to the city, this is still better as an excuse than this killing the Kang aunt.. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I agree that it is a way to tie everything up and solve it in a few episodes. If the Emperor has a plan, he is going to use the death of auntie kang and his coming home without permission granted to demote him. They are excuses but he doesn’t need something serious. Anyway GTY made few mistakes during his period at the Court, so they could explain this as the last straw.

if the Emperor hasn’t a plan, I guess he is poisoned and doesn’t trust him anymore. But since it is nothing serious, it’d be easier to forgive him and give him the status back when gty helps him again.

 

however, it is better if the reason is this one because it involves directly ml and it is easier and more natural for her to help. If it were salt corruption, it’d be less believable that ml could help.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fra8 said:

At this point, I agree that it is a way to tie everything up and solve it in a few episodes. If the Emperor has a plan, he is going to use the death of auntie kang and his coming home without permission granted to demote him. They are excuses but he doesn’t need something serious. Anyway GTY made few mistakes during his period at the Court, so they could explain this as the last straw.

if the Emperor hasn’t a plan, I guess he is poisoned and doesn’t trust him anymore. But since it is nothing serious, it’d be easier to forgive him and give him the status back when gty helps him again.

 

however, it is better if the reason is this one because it involves directly ml and it is easier and more natural for her to help. If it were salt corruption, it’d be less believable that ml could help.

 

That's what I'm hoping too. Either that or they use this accusation as an opportunity and construct a plan around it. Either way is fine.

And isn't ML managing his books...all his businesses and properties....ML has full knowledge about them. So she could have helped with the salt issue too.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really confused about QH's wife. Looked on Wikipedia and it said that he's on his second wife, what happened to the first wife and why did he marry the second wife? I remember her family blackmailed Qi family to marry QH. Also is second wife related to the Shen family whose had trouble delivering her baby? Man this drama is very complex :sweatingbullets:

 

Also I was watching the First Love ver and at the QH x ML horse polo match there was a woman on the side who said something like "I have no interest in the game, but I have interest in the person," was this the first wife?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dito said:

 

I do not like how they are dragging this. She was trying to kill an innocent child....many people saw her and tried to stop her.

Also they had a freaking box full of evidence against Kang aunt for the poisoning...how can this mother be so shameless as to call her monster of a daughter, innocent?

 

Seeing old madam Wang, I understand why aunt Kang turned out to become that kind of person. Trying to protect her daughter is one thing, but claiming that she is pure and innocent, I wanna punch her face even though its frown upon to punch old people. 

 

But isn’t the poisoning case not made known outside of the Sheng manor (the house is blocked by Tu Er Ye and nobody going in/out). I think its because SH doesn’t wanna lose face about what happened. If that’s the case, then its understandable why GTY couldn’t bring up the issue. Also old madam has stepmother statement about Aunt Kang just went to the courtyard to help with the fire (I assume nobody knows that she was actually under arrest for poisoning grandma). And GTY killed her. I think this is also why ML apologised to GTY that her family brings him so much trouble. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@huahuacaocao QH first married the daughter of Prince Yong. She is also the woman at the polo match and fell in love with him. Her family then blackmailed QH to marry her daughter. During the court rebelling, prince yong’s family (including QH wife) was killed, thus leaving QH a widow. QH then married his second wife. She is not related to anyone, I think her family came from outside the capital, she originally wasn’t aware of QH story with ML. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dito said:

Another person scarred by PA...nice to meet you.:lol:

PA was the reason I stopped watching Chinese dramas for a few years. That drama's name should be "How to screw over the fans".

After about midway, I fast forwarded almost every scene while watching PA. The ending though :crazy: the same with King’s Woman and Rise of the Phoenix. They started good but lost its plot half way. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info, that clears a lot up! :)

 

I too fast forwarded through PA (partly unintentional, I didn't check version names so ended up watching an episode that was super far ahead in content and then didn't want to go back bc it got spicy). The ending felt too rushed and sudden and not very fitting. Reminds me of HQG also, hopefully this ZLY drama has a well developed ending or the curse of great dramas with poor endings will continue for me.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shihuangdi said:

Seeing old madam Wang, I understand why aunt Kang turned out to become that kind of person. Trying to protect her daughter is one thing, but claiming that she is pure and innocent, I wanna punch her face even though its frown upon to punch old people. 

 

But isn’t the poisoning case not made known outside of the Sheng manor (the house is blocked by Tu Er Ye and nobody going in/out). I think its because SH doesn’t wanna lose face about what happened. If that’s the case, then its understandable why GTY couldn’t bring up the issue. Also old madam has stepmother statement about Aunt Kang just went to the courtyard to help with the fire (I assume nobody knows that she was actually under arrest for poisoning grandma). And GTY killed her. I think this is also why ML apologised to GTY that her family brings him so much trouble. 

 

I don't know about the drama but in the book they sent Kang Aunt to a prison for women or something. Confinement and hard labor....cutting wood, washing laundry,etc. So I suppose it was official. But Da niang's part was kept secret. 

 

59 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

After about midway, I fast forwarded almost every scene while watching PA. The ending though :crazy: the same with King’s Woman and Rise of the Phoenix. They started good but lost its plot half way

 

I was so excited for ROP but the changes from the book totally disappointed me. I still tried to watch but it was too much palace stuff...and Chen Kun was doing weird stuff.....couldn't connect. 

Loosing the plot halfway....thats the problem with most of the chinese dramas these days. I blame the huge number of episodes....some stories are better narrated when they are short. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EP 63 & 64 (64 partial Eng subs):

 

WOW!  MingLan should have been an attorney or military strategist.  She laid out the whole Aunt Kang sinister plot, including timelines.  "We were having dinner together and she send Mr. X to buy poison."  It was awesome!   Aunt Kang is a true sociopath and yes, it's her family's fault.  

 

That wishy-washy Sheng dad, he doesn't have two vertebrae that connect, he is more spineless than an octopus!  MingLan finally had the Kangs in a bind, and Wimpy let them out.  The matriarch of the family performed an end-run saying Aunt Kang would at most get exiled, so the Shengs can't kill her.  And what about Sheng's wife who was in on the murder scam too?  Matriarch is saying if one goes, they both go.  

 

LOVE the way Kang's maid/nanny tried to hustle her out of the house, kept interfering and making scenes during the family sit-down when the evidence was presented.  That gave MingLan reason to interject, else her mamby-pamby, spineless father would have just let everything go to have them all exit the house and end the mess.

 

Dyin' to get the subs for the second half of Ep 64, see what MingLan's hubby has to say.  

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hell59 @dito

I believe we are in for happy ending. 

So far, the sequence of events have been consistent with the background painting at the end credits. So if we go by that, it should end with them finally leaving the capital, for some peace and quiet..

 

It better be...

This is the first cdrama I watch while it's still airing, without knowing the ending...

I've always watched cdramas which have finished airing, just so to set my expectations...

Jumped into this just to check it out and the next thing I know, I'm waiting religiously every day for the new episodes :blink:

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

@hell59 @dito

I believe we are in for happy ending. 

So far, the sequence of events have been consistent with the background painting at the end credits. So if we go by that, it should end with them finally leaving the capital, for some peace and quiet..

 

It better be...

This is the first cdrama I watch while it's still airing, without knowing the ending...

I've always watched cdramas which have finished airing, just so to set my expectations...

Jumped into this just to check it out and the next thing I know, I'm waiting religiously every day for the new episodes :blink:

Actually if they don't change it and don't put the actors in suspense like they did for PA, Feng shao feng already said it's a happy ending 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sprightly steps of QH rush into Cheng Garden defying family objections,societal norms.He has finally mustered enough courage to not care about anything except saving ML.

Luck has never been kind to him,before he can enter the inner room..crisis has already been averted.

 

He witnessess the happy family picture that resonate deep affection and an undying bond of care that binds the new family.

QH can only retrace his steps and douse the fire outside with the pail of water in hand..

He has truly become the outsider in ML's heart.The embers of first love that burn in his heart needs to cool down as well..

Life..his love all have moved on...It is time for him to step out from the past into the present.

 

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

Auntie Kang's husband was not involved in the negotiation of the poison incident because if he knew he will divorce Auntie Kang for sure.

@Jackie1048  Of course he would have divorce her, It seems to me that he's looking for a good enough reason to divorce her.. One would think the selling of his children would be enough guess not.. With Auntie Kang having the finale say in the Shu daughters marriages.. I thought ML should have brought all the money she has rip off BMain Mother (Danning) and how she tried to have one of the Shu daughters kill herself in her home all so she could sue her husband for money.. 

 

8 hours ago, matrim said:

Have to applaud Old Madam Wang, another master manipulator, whose silver tongue not only confused SH, but almost caused ML to lose ground

@matrim  Yes by looking at that scene one could tell she was loosing ground.. Sh should be slap, I still don't see how he made it to be a court official dumg as he is.. No wonder he and Danning or a perfect match they both easly manipulated.. ML had to que him in on the matters before he even entered the hall.. Also she gave him expanations of what they would say and do if not for her he wouldn't have a clue as to what to do.. Also I could see why Aunt Kang hates concubine born children.. Big Mdm must have really talk bad in front of her about them and may have some choice words and ideas for Aunt Kang about all the Shu daughters her husband bore that old Mdm and brother had to help her take care of them due to her lousy husband..   I mean they really look down on concubine children telling ML she hsd no right to be there or speak.. Happy to see SH speak up for concubine born children being he's also one which make me think they talked bad about him also behind his back..

 

8 hours ago, Lunkera said:

@dito Probably because one wrpng move can cost him his status or even his life. If ED is after GTY, she won't spare his relatives most likely, doesn't matter that they are against him. In those eras it was safer and better to pull the weed of by it roots.

you explained it right in point @Lunkera  ED would have killed them all and the new born of ML.. ED isn't stupid she don't want any trouble to come back and bite her in the rear.

7 hours ago, leeza77 said:

OH a handsome lil fella

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, watchumlots said:

EP 63 & 64 (64 partial Eng subs):

 

WOW!  MingLan should have been an attorney or military strategist.  She laid out the whole Aunt Kang sinister plot, including timelines.  "We were having dinner together and she send Mr. X to buy poison."  It was awesome!   Aunt Kang is a true sociopath and yes, it's her family's fault.  

 

That wishy-washy Sheng dad, he doesn't have two vertebrae that connect, he is more spineless than an octopus!  MingLan finally had the Kangs in a bind, and Wimpy let them out.  The matriarch of the family performed an end-run saying Aunt Kang would at most get exiled, so the Shengs can't kill her.  And what about Sheng's wife who was in on the murder scam too?  Matriarch is saying if one goes, they both go.  

 

LOVE the way Kang's maid/nanny tried to hustle her out of the house, kept interfering and making scenes during the family sit-down when the evidence was presented.  That gave MingLan reason to interject, else her mamby-pamby, spineless father would have just let everything go to have them all exit the house and end the mess.

 

Dyin' to get the subs for the second half of Ep 64, see what MingLan's hubby has to say.  

 

 

Clever madam Wang had to end up with 2 muddled daughters.She should be cursing fate to not have given her a smart girl like ML instead.

  • LOL 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

The sprightly steps of QH rush into Cheng Garden defying family objections,societal norms.He has finally mustered enough courage to not care about anything else except saving ML.

Luck has never been kind to him before he can enter the inner room..the crisis has already been averted.

 

He can only witness the happy family picture that resonate deep affection and an undying bond of care that binds the new family.

QH can only retrace his steps and douse the fire outside with the  pail of water in his hand..

He has truly become the outsider in ML's heart.The embers of the first love that burns in his heart needs to cool down as well..

Life..his love all have moved on...It is time for him to step out from the past into the present.

 

 

I was so happy when he went to save her, like my gracious heart was over the top, and for that time I just want to hug him that he has done well.. When GTY went to thank him, he was so surprised and he finally realized that everything is not what people make it to be.. I'm glad they somehow gave QH a peace of mind in the drama.. And somehow this made him a little bit closer to his wife.. So proud of his developments

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@watchumlots the recent episodes with the grandma poisoning incident really showed it's who could raise the stakes higher, who's willing to throw away more. 

 

As ML aptly put it, "In life, it's always about who's willing to sacrifice more. Father, DaNiang, Kang Family, Wang Family all dare not, but I do"...

 

Just like a game of poker. None of them seems to be holding good cards, as everyone has a bit to lose. 

After a while it became a game of dare and Double dare, to see who would fold first. 

 

Old Mdm Wang is indeed quite a schemer herself, and she caught ML on her one weakness- the children. She always believed that children should not be implicated or pay for the mistakes the parent makes, but Old Mdm Wang puts all Sheng's kids at stake, which made her so mad because one thing she couldn't bear to do would be to destroy the brother and sisters life. 

Thank god ChangBai came home in time, and raised the stakes even higher by putting his own career on the line, which forced Old Mdm Wang to fold her cards. 

 

There were a few witty comebacks by ML and GTY which I thought was hilarious though! 

- When Old Mdm Wang played the caring elderly card on SH, ML merely said "oh, so it turns out you have done us such a big favour including raising my Father and mentoring him to his career great heights:lol:", to remind SH that it was grandma that raised him! 

- When Old Mdm Wang tried to send ML away saying that she's a married daughter hence should not meddle in Sheng issues, GTY responded "If so, why are you here?"

BURNNNN! :lol:

Old Mdm Wang reaction on both times were priceless! 

  • Like 4
  • LOL 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh I love this cdrama but at the same time ahhhh!!! It's literally one thing after the other. I really hope they have a happy ending. Also, there were so many witnesses for the house fire and the stabbing so I honestly don't understand how they are still able to frame GTY. It doesn't make sense to me. It would make more sense if he was arrested for not reporting to the emperor first rather than killing that evil wicked woman. Ugh I just want all the evil characters to have tragic deaths so I can laugh in happiness. My god if I was Minglan I probably won't have the strength to go on dealing with all of this. Literally her whole life and GTY whole life people have been plotting against them. Do people not get tried? How do you make it your life's work to destroy someone? 

  • Like 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...