[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

Thanks for responding and giving me more knowledge of the title! @angelangie @thelonetraveller_18 @gleek49 @nnnju I love the fact that they use this title instead using MingLan's name. This is much more meaningful and memorable. 

I only have time to check out episode one and I enjoyed it so far. Nothing that make me want to 'fast-forward' or 'roll my eyes', the pacing, the cinematography, and the acting are all good so far. I can't wait to see them grow up but not impatiently lol

Btw, I saw two versions in YouTube, the TV version and the Uncut version. So they will both end on 73 episodes? Because I think the TV version have uneven timing for each episode and it is a bit confusing. I assume the difference is just the way they cut the length of the episodes and not actually cutting out scenes. Which version are you all watching?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BreezeC said:

Thanks for responding and giving me more knowledge of the title! @angelangie @thelonetraveller_18 @gleek49 @nnnju I love the fact that they use this title instead using MingLan's name. This is much more meaningful and memorable. 

I only have time to check out episode one and I enjoyed it so far. Nothing that make me want to 'fast-forward' or 'roll my eyes', the pacing, the cinematography, and the acting are all good so far. I can't wait to see them grow up but not impatiently lol

Btw, I saw two versions in YouTube, the TV version and the Uncut version. So they will both end on 73 episodes? Because I think the TV version have uneven timing for each episode and it is a bit confusing. I assume the difference is just the way they cut the length of the episodes and not actually cutting out scenes. Which version are you all watching?

Yeah there is no real difference just different length's ill just watch the viki version. 

The acting of all actors/actress are good. I just regret that c-ent is very competitive and malicious. The anti-fans if zly attack douban score yesterday and give only one star in the premise that zly's acting is not good. It is ridiculous as Zly only appeared in the last 20 minutes of 4th episodes last night. Plus they also bombard zly's superspeaking with all kinds of posts concerning other actor/actress. Very childish. 

2 hours ago, Leeza Muhammad said:

The acting of all actors/actress are good. I just regret that c-ent is very competitive and malicious. The anti-fans if zly attack douban score yesterday and give only one star in the premise that zly's acting is not good. It is ridiculous as Zly only appeared in the last 20 minutes of 4th episodes last night. Plus they also bombard zly's superspeaking with all kinds of posts concerning other actor/actress. Very childish. 

Ignore them. ZLY always gets stuff like this when her dramas come out like every other popular celeb.

Today ratings went up, ep. 4 broke 0.9 so the drama is slowly doing better. As long as the plot is good and we have a good drama that is all that matters. 

14 hours ago, BreezeC said:

At the moment, there should be no difference between the two, but Hunan TV sometimes cut scenes or rearrange them. The episodes have uneven timing because on weekends, they get 20 or 30mins episodes to make way for variety show that air that day. I don't think they will cut a lot for a ZLY drama since she tends to bring in lot of viewers. The DVD version is the "uncut" version, the one that was intially passed, and one that gets shown oversea...I think (?).

8.2 on douban is pretty good start, ZLY + Daylight + book fans should bring in fair amount of ratings and word of mouth, as long as they keep up the good adaptation, which they shooould.

Just finished watching untill ep3 and really like it so far, great acting for all of them, most specially little minglan she's so pretty.ep 3 had me cried along:bawling:

So sad she will grow up soon...even though I already want to see li ying appearance;I still want to see that little minglan's acting...love her already...:heart: the mean character...ahhhggg..why her voice is like that,like there is a cakroach inside her esophagous:grin:...

I have watched few scenes of ZYL n ZLY as they r promoted more everywhere.. I understand now y ZYL is hot favorite nowadays.. This man's eyes pours out love for Minglan.. The way he keeps his gaze at her without shaking off.. Even having a distance they have chemistry.. I m gonna have second lead syndrome.. 

w7hbIFG.jpg

Here is the BTS of QH n minglan 

I watched ep 1 with subs.. I m just say I m loving this show's flow.. The kiddo actors r soo good!! 

I'm about to start epi 3 subbed version but I'm completely caught up with the unsubbed version too. I like the pace its neither too fast nor slow....though it seems they're hurrying up the QH falling for ML story track.

I also realized that some events in the book that were made known to us through gossip, overhearing and second/third person accounts are being shown to us directly. Like GTY's past and his history with his family, the political scenes, etc. So we are going to see it all first hand....their entire journey ....QH, ML and GTY. And not to forget the sisters...Hualan, Ruolan and Molan. Therefore, before GTY takes notice of ML he will have to go through betrayal and heartbreak. Til then lets enjoy the first love and the angst it brings between ML and QH.

Just so you guys know Lin Niang is not the big bad of the story....she will have her downfall before the girls marry.

Later part of the story has a number of bad guys....like GTY's ex and his stepmother.... I think his stepmother was the last one....don't remember exactly. But there are still a few pesky nuisances in between.

One thing disappointed me a great deal. It's been 6 episodes...4 after the kids part ended.....I wanted to see the development of ML and Granny relationship. That's what I loved the most in the book....but there has not been a single grownup ML-Granny scene. I mean ML lives with her, eats with her....sometimes even sleeps with her in the same bed....yes, even after she grew up...thats how close they have become by this time in the story. I just can't understand it. I do remember ZLY joining the filming later then everyone else but that still doesn't explain it.

Anyways I loved the actress playing little ML and her cute as a button little maid....they are both good at crying and made me cry with them.

1 hour ago, dito said:

...I wanted to see the development of ML and Granny relationship. That's what I loved the most in the book....but there has not been a single grownup ML-Granny scene. I mean ML lives with her, eats with her....sometimes even sleeps with her in the same bed....yes, even after she grew up...thats how close they have become by this time in the story. I just can't understand it. I do remember ZLY joining the filming later then everyone else but that still doesn't explain it.

Yes, i'd wanted to see the interactions between little Minglan and granny too unfortunately there weren't any, i supposed due to viewers were already 'gasping' at the 70+ episodes they didn't  dare to include that part ?

16 minutes ago, jewelsc said:

Yes, i'd wanted to see the interactions between little Minglan and granny too unfortunately there weren't any, i supposed due to viewers were already 'gasping' at the 70+ episodes they didn't  dare to include that part ?

Maybe we will get flashbacks to that who knows. 

I was worried i would get bored of this drama but first 4 episodes were fun to watch so looks like this drama will be a fun ride.

3 hours ago, dito said:

Based on what your saying there wont be much of the young ML and Granny which i find sad i hope we can get flash backs or something because even though we only had a little scene in episode 4 it was still impact ful. 

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

I was worried i would get bored of this drama but first 4 episodes were fun to watch so looks like this drama will be a fun ride.

Based on what your saying there wont be much of the young ML and Granny which i find sad i hope we can get flash backs or something because even though we only had a little scene in episode 4 it was still impact ful. 

There were lots of great scenes between little ML and granny in the book. I'll write down a few I remember....

Spoiler

ML got very sick after her mom died and the maids alloted to her by Lin Niang didn't take care of her properly, even not feeding her properly....The doctor told them her body was malnourished or something thats why she's taking so long in getting better. When granny took over her care ML barely ate any food.... Granny due to her old age and poor health was used to a very bland diet and little ML after she recovered from her illness became very weak and thin.....So granny ordered her kitchen to make stuff that children like....so that ML would want to eat the food. After a while granny's personal maid realized that having ML around was making the granny feel better...even her health got better .So she approved of ML and looked after her even more.

Even though granny was still a little strict but whenever at night ML sometimes had nightmares so she would sneak into bed with the granny and granny would cuddle her to sleep together.

When the Palace Momo, who was granny's friend came to teach the girls etiquette and stuff....granny asked her what she thought of her granddaughters...the momo replied one of the girls is very bright....must be the one you're raising? 

This happened in epi 8 but in the book it happened when ML was still little. After that granny started teaching ML more stuff by herself.

ML realized that because of the granny she might have a good life in the future so she started making sure she followed granny's every teaching and make her proud.

Even QH's mom complimented ML when she first met her.

These all took place when ML was still little........I can't remember exactly but I think some of these might be in the chapters that have been translated in english. I should go back and read again.....

Archived