[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

6 minutes ago, Renaro Kopique said:

Oh yea, does anyone know if the grandmother will stay with Minglan or still the Sheng family afterwards like after the poison incident or when GTY and ML moves out of the capital?

Spoiler

In the novel Grandma stays with CB afterwards and they live outside the capital as CB is a local official. To stay with eldest son or eldest grandson is approved by customs, but to live in a granddaughter's household is out of the question. So filial as ML can't win the war of inviting Grandma to live with her, although she does make several attempts in the epilogue.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, matrim said:

According to the regulation of State Administration of Radio, Film and TV in China, any period drama must be set in a particular dynasty, otherwise it can't be released. That's a dilemma many period dramas face when they're apapted from novels with no specific dynasty backdrop. On the one hand they have to add some plot not in the novel but true to history, and on the other hand, they must try to keep the major storyline of the novel intact, as a large part of the viewers are novel fans. It's difficult to strike a balance between these two conflicting requirements, and so it's not surprising to see complaints from history lovers and book fans.

As for incorporating modern elements into period dramas, I think it's common practice and understandable. Dramas have to please modern viewers. If all the plot and characters are all written according the cultural and social norms of that era in ancient China, viewers would find it too boring and alienated. The drama probably wouldn't be a economic success then, a prospect not many producers or directors want to see.

Well said.. Thanks 

@Golden Flower

I can understand some of your sentiments but at the end of the day this is an adaptation of a fictional transmigration lightnovel. We need the modern POV shown otherwise the story loses its 'essence'. If it were based on some ancient story script or historical account, then we could argue details.

Also, our understanding of rules and norms is based on historical records, books and accounts mostly written by men, who like SH, didn't have a clue what was going on in their backyards. Did people always adhere to these rigorous rules? The story is about a dysfunctional ancient grand family's backyard, not adhering to rules and narrated from a modern POV.  If you take this away, there is no drama.

Illicit affairs happened ie SH with CL and 6th Liang, so why is it unrealistic that Molan could have an illicit affair and the families quickly cover it up with marriage?

22 hours ago, dito said:

According to the new preview....Kang Aunts mommy went crying to ED to complain. It seems its after Kang aunt dies. ED got another tool for free. :cold_sweat:

It was funny when QH flinched at GTY's bow....he thought GTY came to fight him.....and wth with QH's wife thinking her husband is a damsel in distress:lol:

And Fengxian is having a pity party with GTY....all with... I have no where to go.....my roof is leaking (not sure about this) blah blah blah.

Uh...she can go to one of the farmsteads :D for being Stepmom’s spy since the roof is only leaking because of the fire set by her fellow minions of Stepmom. I get she really didn’t have a choice but at least if she goes to one of the farmsteads, she can live peacefully under a solid roof? It’s not like her status will ever change in the Fu.

39 minutes ago, Renaro Kopique said:

Sorry this can be off topic but...

Omg, I felt like I had this connection with Auntie Kang somewhere like I've seen her before. Took me long enough to remember her from NIF 1+2 and in AoL as Jinmi's mother. I swear she's so pretty tho, she can be that cold hearted neutral character to a heartbroken one, or be a strong supportive person, and here we have a spoilt villainess. :phew:

Oh yea, does anyone know if the grandmother will stay with Minglan or still the Sheng family afterwards like after the poison incident or when GTY and ML moves out of the capital?

Oh i don't remember if she's there in nif2.. but danniang is there in nif2 as xiao yuanxi's mom

SH in nif2 as the emperor

8 hours ago, m0us3y said:

In the drama, even without the time travel element, grandma still really has no one that's related by 'flesh and blood'...

It's really nice to see regardless of the flesh and blood, she is ML's pillar of strength, her mentor, her everything..

That sometimes, 'flesh and blood' really don't amount to as much as love and care. 

Because, even with ML's flesh and blood connection with Sheng, she still really has no one but grandma to protect her...

Perhaps that's also how ML learned to love Rong'er as her own even if she's not her biological child...

In the novel, ML is a time traveller??? So when did the future ML replace past ML? Since she was a child?

12 minutes ago, tinast said:

Oh i don't remember if she's there in nif2.. but danniang is there in nif2 as xiao yuanxi's mom

SH in nif2 as the emperor

What? Daniang too? SH was the emp? I didn't really pay attention oopsie. :astonished: I need to watch them again XD

She's seen around Lin Xi in S2, it's been so long but I think helps around with herbs and stuff while on the other hand she is on undercover.

Spoiler

N28cQRe.jpg

10 hours ago, dito said:

I don't think 14 epis will be enough to show all this.

My dilemma exactly.. I was anxious when the episodes were too short, and now anxious when they lengthened the episodes :w00t:

8 hours ago, m0us3y said:

In the drama, even without the time travel element, grandma still really has no one that's related by 'flesh and blood'...

It's really nice to see regardless of the flesh and blood, she is ML's pillar of strength, her mentor, her everything..

That sometimes, 'flesh and blood' really don't amount to as much as love and care. 

Because, even with ML's flesh and blood connection with Sheng, she still really has no one but grandma to protect her...

Perhaps that's also how ML learned to love Rong'er as her own even if she's not her biological child...

For me her little monologue in the novel gives out the feeling of pity, because by modern standard grandma is a childless old lady surrounded by people who are bounded by confucianism to treat her well, sincere or not is up to debate. But drama minglan only feels love and full of filial piety because she sees grandma as her own grandmother who raise her. While book minglan seems more clear that grandma is her benefactor who treated her well and protected her, somewhere along the way she genuinely comes to love her.

Ml’s relationship with rong er is a mix of grandma’s teaching, her own self who always pity illegitimate children and maybe the fact that she at that point didnt love gty yet, so she saw it as part of the job. But afterwards you can see ml really is fond of rong er and the cousin.

What stood out for me in ep 59 was when ml threw the tea cup after the biao mei said auntie kang was planning to harm gty.. ooohhhh the love comes creeping in :wub:

11 minutes ago, Renaro Kopique said:

What? Daniang too? SH was the emp? I didn't really pay attention oopsie. :astonished: I need to watch them again XD

She's seen around Lin Xi in S2, it's been so long but I think helps around with herbs and stuff while on the other hand she is on undercover.

Hide contents

N28cQRe.jpg

Oww ic.. i don't remember her since it was a short appearance. Just a few episodes. An assassin

Hello chingu

I do love the Empress but there was a scene where I think she intentionally hurt ML by telling her about Prince Huan faced two assassination attempt and her husband saved her son. ML reaction was on point but I wondered if the Empress facial reaction was of guilt or glee to hurt ML because ML told her that she has to fix the problem because it began with her. 

16 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Hello chingu

I do love the Empress but there was a scene where I think she intentionally hurt ML by telling her about Prince Huan faced two assassination attempt and her husband saved her son. ML reaction was on point but I wondered if the Empress facial reaction was of guilt or glee to hurt ML because ML told her that she has to fix the problem because it began with her. 

Sorry i don't agree with you.

Since empress told ML about the assassination before ML told empress about her strategy

49 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Hello chingu

I don't think that empress has any ill intention towards ml when she said about the assisination attempt. She didn't know that gty didn't send the news to ml about that. Her reaction just.. Opps i've said something that i'm not supposed to. Regret. Uncomfortable. But not glee. 

2nd point ml didn't tell empress to fix the problem bcoz it's originated from her.. But to solve it as an example of leadership eventhough the mistake was not done by her. 

This move by the empress actually stupefied ED and put ED in a difficult. She has to be magnanimous and accept the apology from emperor and empress and not to insist on heavy punishment for general sheng. Lol.. She did wonder who gave the excellent advice to the empress as she knows the empress is not someone who can think of that insightful and brilliant move as she's more a straightforward honest woman. ED v Ml: Ml scored twice vs ED

10 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Is that when ML kisses him on the cheeks multiple times?

It's heartwarming to see that the fearful child she locked deep within is finally seeing she too has someone to rely on...and finally open up herself again...

Maybe she's happy now that he's back and she can finally eat and sleep to her hearts content. He can handle all the stress.:lol:

The kiss did also happen in the book but way before when she first came into Gu manor. I think the writers didn't think it appropriate to put it in then so they added it now. If I remember correctly,  it was when everyone was forcing concubines on them and even ML gave her consent but GTY got mad and refused and told everyone he wanted Di (legitimate) heirs. Granny told her to appreciate the good things he was doing for her. So she did it as a thank you. I think it was when she was comparing him with Doc HHW and saying he left her to handle the thing with the cousin while GTY stood beside her to handle it all himself.

9 hours ago, minglan1 said:

I was wondering if ED used her tricks to implicate GTY in Aunt Kang's death by creating ruckus in the court.It would leave the emperor no choice other  than  imprison and then get him out by demotion.

I really hope GTY does not get trapped in ED schemes. They have shown us again and again how smart he is. He's also keeping notice of all that ED is doing ....so getting trapped will be very unbelievable. I'm hoping he willingly enters their trap so that ED plans are out in the open and the emperor's side can face this enemy head on.  

1 hour ago, shihuangdi said:

In the novel, ML is a time traveller??? So when did the future ML replace past ML? Since she was a child?

When ML's mother died and ML fell sick, the past ML died and future ML took over.

17 minutes ago, dito said:

Maybe she's happy now that he's back and she can finally eat and sleep to her hearts content. He can handle all the stress.:lol:

The kiss did also happen in the book but way before when she first came into Gu manor. I think the writers didn't think it appropriate to put it in then so they added it now. If I remember correctly,  it was when everyone was forcing concubines on them and even ML gave her consent but GTY got mad and refused and told everyone he wanted Di (legitimate) heirs. Granny told her to appreciate the good things he was doing for her. So she did it as a thank you. I think it was when she was comparing him with Doc HHW and saying he left her to handle the thing with the cousin while GTY stood beside her to handle it all himself.

I really hope GTY does not get trapped in ED schemes. They have shown us again and again how smart he is. He's also keeping notice of all that ED is doing ....so getting trapped will be very unbelievable. I'm hoping he willingly enters their trap so that ED plans are out in the open and the emperor's side can face this enemy head on.  

When ML's mother died and ML fell sick, the past ML died and future ML took over.

Gty said that ml can always lean on him and he was content with what he has now. This is where ml decide to be open with her love and affection towards gty as  gty has accepted her true self and no longer kind of buldoze her to reveal her feeling to him. 

2 hours ago, matrim said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In the novel Grandma stays with CB afterwards and they live outside the capital as CB is a local official. To stay with eldest son or eldest grandson is approved by customs, but to live in a granddaughter's household is out of the question. So filial as ML can't win the war of inviting Grandma to live with her, although she does make several attempts in the epilogue.

Thanks for this info @matrim  ML really has come out of her shell. I am glad Old Mrs Shen  will be in a safe environment.  

@tinast and @leeza77  Thanks for answering me, :D I sometimes mix up the scene with the timing when watching these dramas. 

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c5aa3122e676c6c49

2 hours ago, Renaro Kopique said:

Sorry this can be off topic but...

Omg, I felt like I had this connection with Auntie Kang somewhere like I've seen her before. Took me long enough to remember her from NIF 1+2 and in AoL as Jinmi's mother. I swear she's so pretty tho, she can be that cold hearted neutral character to a heartbroken one, or be a strong supportive person, and here we have a spoilt villainess. :phew:

1 hour ago, Renaro Kopique said:

Reveal hidden contents

N28cQRe.jpg

Changfeng was MuQing....Nihuang's brother

Emperor was Shen Zui in NIF...Prince Jing's first supporter

Kang Aunts husband was Cai Quan...Prince jing second supporter

Duke of Ying was Xia Jiang in NIF

Prince Yong...QH's first father inlaw was Prince Ji, emperor's brother who liked music and frequented brothels

Qi daren...QH's dad looks like one of Jingrui dads....the one who was used as an assassin by Marquis Xie 

Daylight production like to use many of the same actors, it seems.

11 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Indeed was sad to see her that way.She found it so hard to believe her own sibling could betray her so mercilessly. She had strong faith in her blood ties so ignored everyone's warning of not associating with her elder sister.The actress who played big madam was very good in emoting the scenes.

She played the naive role very well.  She may appear a little mean at times but you could see where her sister is concerned she is totally blind to reasons.  Her disbelief that her own blood sister could manipulate her so well so as to be able to later on blackmail her for favours. That her own grandson could have eaten the cakes was not even in her thoughts.   You could see the fleeting emotion on her face.  This actress is indeed well chosen for her part.

9 hours ago, matrim said:

I don't like the downfall plot either but somehow understand the intention behind it. Drama ML is a stronger and more independent character compared with novel counterpart. To show this the drama has to make some changes in power dynamics between GTY and ML. From the beginning of their marriage GTY has been the protector and the stronger one, but after his downfall it's the other way around. ML is the protector and his savior now. The dramatic change of position can force them to reveal their inner self, to deepen their mutual understanding and acts as a catalyst, to speed up their love towards each other.

If you want to know if someone truly loves you, this is perhaps the best test ever.  If someone is prepared to go through hardship for you, then it is a keeper.  :D 

1 hour ago, dito said:

Changfeng was MuQing....Nihuang's brother

Emperor was Shen Zui in NIF...Prince Jing's first supporter

Kang Aunts husband was Cai Quan...Prince jing second supporter

Duke of Ying was Xia Jiang in NIF

Prince Yong...QH's first father inlaw was Prince Ji, emperor's brother who liked music and frequented brothels

Qi daren...QH's dad looks like one of Jingrui dads....the one who was used as an assassin by Marquis Xie 

Daylight production like to use many of the same actors, it seems.

Ohh, Kang aunts' husband...he is Cai Quan? wow I really miss that one. 

yeah, Daylight production seems like to use many actress and actors already well known to them (not that I complain though, the actors and actress are very good); maybe because it's easier to work with as they already know each other well enough so less trouble in location shooting. However, I think many actress and actors are very much willing to work with daylight production too since their works are usually very successful. 

4 hours ago, leeza77 said:

If the main characters should be like sh and danniang i. e ordinary, selfish and having no affection towards children, well i willn't watch this drama. Sorry. :joy:

LOL - you said it all @leeza77  

We are all watching this drama because it is what it is.  Otherwise it would have been quite boring.  :glasses:  Let's just all enjoy the drama.  Naturally, a debate is healthy but let's do it peacefully.  We could all get carried away and that is totally fine.  It means that the actors and actresses did a darn good job hence we are emotionally involved :joy:    

I did not read the novel and preferred not to do so, so I can totally enjoy the drama the way it is and not constantly comparing.  The last time I did it with Harry Potter, it totally ruined it for me.  That doesn't mean that I was not curious.  I think all of us agreed (to some extent) that this is a good watch so lets enjoy!  I am discovering a lot of actors and actresses that I have never heard of before which is a good thing as I hardly ever watch dramas except when something caught my fancy. I hope their rating continues to go up.......YESSSSSSS    

Archived