[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

Is Molan having a baby? In the preview, I saw Molan sitting next to a crib, talking to her third brother. I assume that's her kid? Because the others probably won't leave their baby with Linniang's kids. I really want to see what really happen at the Liang's manor after that sixth Liang found out the true Molan.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dito said:

From the book......ML's thoughts after she found out the truth of the poisoning. I tweaked it a bit for better understanding. 

In just half a day, Old Madam Sheng looked thin, her skin was yellow, dry and wrinkled, but the vomiting and diarrhea has stopped. Ming Lan sat on the edge of the bed and slowly put her head on the old lady’s shoulder, just like she used to when she was a child.

Silently, in her heart she said - Thank you. When I was the most helpless, you raised me, protected me, taught me to grow up, and let me have the courage to face this nasty place.

She has been very good at pretending. Pretending to be indifferent, pretending to be without fear, in fact, she had been afraid to death. In this strange world, if she had no care and warmth of this old woman, then what would she be? Old Madam Sheng was like a solid rock, standing firmly behind her, letting her rely on her, whenever and wherever, she was always sure that when she turns back, there will be a safe haven for her.

"I will not let them go," she said softly. "You shouldn't die like this." Grandmother should live to be in her 100s. Honored and loved by her children and grandchildren, and then pass away in her sleep.

"You are lonely, have no flesh and blood, no home, so they bullied you. Rest assured, you still have me." 

There is one more sentence at the end....but even with 3 different translators, I can't make sense of it.

@dito Thanks for sharing this chingu. I want to read this books so badly but been waiting for the drama to end. 

@matrim     Even after Aunty Kang’s death she still find ways to torment ML behind the grave. I thought Old Madam Wang was Aunty Kang’s grandmother not her mother. Question 

Does Old Madam fond Aunty Kang trying to murder her in laws something acceptable?? I saw a clip of Old Madam feeling sorry but she felt that Aunty Kang doesn’t need to be punished. Why does everyone think Aunty Kang doesn’t deserve to be punished. It is so confusing and disappointing. It’s like AK’s family also doesn’t have any morals at all. Doesn’t Old Madam Wang doesn’t know she tried to kill Ming Lan. Old Madam Wang is a terrible human being in my eyes. Her determination to protect AK at all cost even when she is wrong. Smh smh smh

1 minute ago, UnniSarah said:

@dito Thanks for sharing this chingu. I want to read this books so badly but been waiting for the drama to end. 

@matrim.     Even after Aunty Kang’s death she still find ways to torment ML behind the grave. I thought Old Madam Wang was Aunty Kang’s grandmother not her mother. Question 

Does Old Madam fond Aunty Kang trying to murder her in laws something acceptable?? I saw a clip of Old Madam feeling sorry but she felt that Aunty Kang doesn’t need to be punished. Why does everyone think Aunty Kang doesn’t deserve to be punished. It is so confusing and disappointing. It’s like AK’s family also doesn’t have any morals at all. Doesn’t Old Madam Wang doesn’t know she tried to kill Ming Lan. Old Madam Wang is a terrible human being in my eyes. Her determination to protect AK at all cost even when she is wrong. Smh smh smh

I think someone said that Old Madam really spoilt Aunty Kang since she was little. Whatever wrongs Kang did, Old Madam always covered it for her. Hence Kang grew up to become that kind of person. I don't think Old Madam actually cares about moral, she only cares about Aunty Kang. I think she is a little similar to General Shen, they both doted and spoilt on a person, regardless of what sins they've committed. 

If you also think about how GTY was raised by his stepmom (before he found out how fake she truly is), then you see the amount of damage that could be done when you love your kids too much. But for Old Madam Wang and General Shen, they did it without evil intention, they just love them, unlike stepmom who did it to destroy GTY.

37 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

I think someone said that Old Madam really spoilt Aunty Kang since she was little. Whatever wrongs Kang did, Old Madam always covered it for her. Hence Kang grew up to become that kind of person. I don't think Old Madam actually cares about moral, she only cares about Aunty Kang. I think she is a little similar to General Shen, they both doted and spoilt on a person, regardless of what sins they've committed. 

If you also think about how GTY was raised by his stepmom (before he found out how fake she truly is), then you see the amount of damage that could be done when you love your kids too much. But for Old Madam Wang and General Shen, they did it without evil intention, they just love them, unlike stepmom who did it to destroy GTY.

@shihuangdi... Well said chingu and my brain finally lit up to connect the dots. Thanks for answering me.... 

36 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

@matrim     Even after Aunty Kang’s death she still find ways to torment ML behind the grave. I thought Old Madam Wang was Aunty Kang’s grandmother not her mother. Question 

Spoiler

In the novel Old Madam Wang accepts, though reluctantly, that Aunt Kang is to be sent into prison (specifically for guily ladies from noble and official families) for life. To save her daughter, she even threatens Sheng house with their reputation and career future. The last straw is from CB, who says he will bring the case to court if Wang house don't accept the punishment, even at the cost of his career. He really plays an important role in handling the matter, negotiating and persuading multiple parties. And yes, Old Madam Wang doesn't occupy moral high ground and in the drama she even stoops lower.  

1 hour ago, shihuangdi said:

Is Molan having a baby? In the preview, I saw Molan sitting next to a crib, talking to her third brother. I assume that's her kid? Because the others probably won't leave their baby with Linniang's kids. I really want to see what really happen at the Liang's manor after that sixth Liang found out the true Molan.

I think its Changfeng's baby daughter.

In the book she was asking him to beg their father to bring Lin niang back to see her grandchildren. (Not possible in the drama)

But Changfeng's wife was a very smart woman and kept him away from Molan's nasty tricks. As this was just a way to break the peace in the Sheng House. After Changfeng's daughter was born everybody thought CF would be disappointed with a girl child but he was actually very happy. The birth of this child actually mended relations between the siblings. The reason being Changfeng's daughter was the spitting image of Hualan. So Hualan and Minglan got attached to her. Because of this Changfeng's relationship with his other sisters got better. Molan hated that...and tried to sow discord between them...with this bring mommy back trick.

5 hours ago, dito said:

"I will not let them go," she said softly. "You shouldn't die like this." Grandmother should live to be in her 100s. Honored and loved by her children and grandchildren, and then pass away in her sleep.

"You are lonely, have no flesh and blood, no home, so they bullied you. Rest assured, you still have me." 

There is one more sentence at the end....but even with 3 different translators, I can't make sense of it.

When I mtl’d the book I was really moved by what ml said here. As a time traveller she can see how pitiful grandma really is, that “you still have me” is really sad, because in that house they do only have each other

Gong Xi Fa Cai to everyone   

@heatherbee @linhlinh111  @dito  @nichiwoohee  @Suzzy San  @dopez @shihuangdi @matrim  @m0us3y @minglan1 @dancingbee @fra8 @mooose @leeza77  @doubleicon  @annakas @selen4ever @Serena H. @Jackie1048  @tinast  @Golden Flower @zenya22  @watchumlots  @lilkat75  @mingerling @Asgarla @   If I miss anyone   Happy New year  

giphy.gif

56 minutes ago, dito said:

I think its Changfeng's baby daughter.

In the book she was asking him to beg their father to bring Lin niang back to see her grandchildren. (Not possible in the drama)

But Changfeng's wife was a very smart woman and kept him away from Molan's nasty tricks. As this was just a way to break the peace in the Sheng House. After Changfeng's daughter was born everybody thought CF would be disappointed with a girl child but he was actually very happy. The birth of this child actually mended relations between the siblings. The reason being Changfeng's daughter was the spitting image of Hualan. So Hualan and Minglan got attached to her. Because of this Changfeng's relationship with his other sisters got better. Molan hated that...and tried to sow discord between them...with this bring mommy back trick.

Thank you. I remember the Shengs were talking about Changfeng marriage potential back then, but I thought they didn't end up finding anyone. Glad he managed to find a great lady as his wife. I actually hope that Molan could become nicer after her mother's death, but looks like she is still out to create trouble. So in the novel, Linniang wasn't beaten to death?

48 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

@heatherbee @linhlinh111  @dito  @nichiwoohee  @Suzzy San  @dopez @shihuangdi @matrim  @m0us3y @minglan1 @dancingbee @fra8 @mooose @leeza77  @doubleicon  @annakas @selen4ever @Serena H. @Jackie1048  @tinast  @Golden Flower @zenya22  @watchumlots  @lilkat75  @mingerling @Asgarla @   If I miss anyone   Happy New year  

giphy.gif

@UnniSarah..Happy new year to you too and 

Happy New Year To All Our Friends Here.:D

Little ML's efforts to save her mother were in vain.Life gave a 2nd chance to not let the same thing happen again to her most loved person in the world. Now she is a grown woman capable enough to fight and bring the perpetrators to justice.

Her actions can be termed unfilial.When one has been driven to the brink twice, procrastination on being filial is the last thing on your mind.

If Shen Hong's own mother had been poisoned would he still behave the way he did during this incident?

Just the memory of his concubine mother being ill treated led him to defy convention. He treated his concubine with status and rights that befit a main wife.

If it was his birth mother on the death bed DaNiang might not have seen the light next day.

ShenHong and ML both were saved and  flourished because old madam Sheng nurtured and supported them.

Yet when the time came it wasn't the son but the granddaughter who sincerely repayed the kindness bestowed.

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

giphy.gif

Happy new year to you and everyone  here who are celebrating.

3 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

When I mtl’d the book I was really moved by what ml said here. As a time traveller she can see how pitiful grandma really is, that “you still have me” is really sad, because in that house they do only have each other

I was tearing up after I read this scene. I think when ML pointed it out that granny is not blood related to them it drove home that granny actually was all alone in this world....except for ML.  Basically living in that house on SH's good will.

I remember skipping much of the book during the first reading. What I didn't skip was Granny and ML's scenes.Their beautiful relationship is the best part of this book.

3 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

Thank you. I remember the Shengs were talking about Changfeng marriage potential back then, but I thought they didn't end up finding anyone. Glad he managed to find a great lady as his wife. I actually hope that Molan could become nicer after her mother's death, but looks like she is still out to create trouble. So in the novel, Linniang wasn't beaten to death?

Lin niang was sent away to a farmstead I think. She was brought back later. But before she was brought back Daniang made her loose her looks. I don't remember reading this but I read a spoiler that said Daniang ordered the servants to starve her for few days and then feed her lard day and night.....so that she becomes fat.  

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

giphy.gif

Happy new year to you and everyone!

One of the best scenes in the drama, I think,  is in the ending of episode 60 when the elderly Duke of Ying carried her daughter who just gave birth and was emotionally and physically exhausted and Duchess of Ying carrying her grandchild away from General Shen and his concubine. And ML brandishing that sword. In a way she was able to do what she could not do when she was a child for her mother and brother. She was not going to let another mother and child die. 

Go Ahead, Make MY Day!!!! 

13 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

One of the best scenes in the drama, I think,  is in the ending of episode 60 when the elderly Duke of Ying carried her daughter who just gave birth and was emotionally and physically exhausted and Duchess of Ying carrying her grandchild away from General Shen and his concubine. And ML brandishing that sword. In a way she was able to do what she could not do when she was a child for her mother and brother. She was not going to let another mother and child die. 

I agree, episode 60 was the episode that really showcased that not everyone are crude animals. The Duke and Duchess of Ying and their daughter, Grandma, Xiotou and Shitou are welcome reminders in a story filled with vultures picking at GTY, ML and the Emperor. 

I concur. the Duke and the Duchess of Ying could afford their choice but it was great to see them putting their daughter first, ignoring any practical or formal reason to keep the appearence. I found this couple very moving.

41 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

Agree. The Duke and Duchess of Ying are one of the few parents in this drama who truly care for their children instead of using them for their advantage. I love how they ask for a separation despite knowing how bad it would look for the family and then bring their daughter to safety. 

Archived