[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

Many discussions on SH so I rewind to look closely at him.. eps 55-57 - the heated debate on Emperor's bio father title and ED decree tho SH hardly utter a word camera seemed to zoom on his face many times.

Maybe looking from his silent facial expressions when certain issues wr touched, we may understand more about him??

Ep55 (54:08)

In awe when ED stood and in raised voice shouted "SHUT UP"

EP55 (45:24)

Grimaced at CB as GTY was walking out to receive his punishment

Ep56 (21:48)

QT raised issue on seniority in inheritance

Ep56 (23:24)

As QH extended his hand to confirm contents in ED decree 

Ep57 (1:24)

Look of awe when ED bowed b4 the Emperor

Ep57 (3:34)

Coughed when QH started complaining and later offerd to be removed fm his post

Ep57 (05:21-6:27) 

His various reactions as the debate became heated until Emperor demoted QH

• Like 3

Personally, I think FSF is perfect as GTY, this is the first time that I actually like him in anything. He makes me like GTY so much that I'm willing to defend him to the end of the world (as many of you may have noticed :))) I even feels like his acting has not been given enough credit, really. His performance in ep 19-20 was probably one of the best acting moments in this drama. But that's just my opinion, even though it's sad to see negative views from others, I can't force them to see what I see, so each to their own I guess :)

• Like 21

5 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Personally, I think FSF is perfect as GTY, this is the first time that I actually like him in anything. He makes me like GTY so much that I'm willing to defend him to the end of the world (as many of you may have noticed :))) I even feels like his acting has not been given enough credit, really. His performance in ep 19-20 was probably one of the best acting moments in this drama. But that's just my opinion, even though it's sad to see negative views from others, I can't force them to see what I see, so each to their own I guess :)

Agree with.. He's perfect as gty. 

• Like 11

7 hours ago, bulubulu said:

So in viki its takes only to ep 60 to catch up with the eps thats airing in china (tv version?) but the tv version is already at ep 66. Im quite confused, i saw people say viki is airing uncut, but does it still ends at ep 7

YALL JUST WATCH IT ON YOUTUBE https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv80wwC58SKqmF4mO-5aBcg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golden Flower said:

@sava2sava @minglan1

FYI: All my post today related to SH was actually mentioned/ shown in the drama though some are very brief and easy to miss. So, you don't need to read the book but just to rewatch the scenes where SH as well as Sheng family members are involved and shown (minus QH, GTY, ML scenes and court politics). The only thing I specifically mentioned from the book about SH was "SH requesting grandma to let the girls go back to school after CL pressured him" just to point out the fact that drama writers try to dramatize by adding some scenes. 

@minglan1 I just scanned episode 1-4 for ML alone and ML and her mom scenes but couldn't find anything about her mom reading the book of art of war to ML. I knew her mom told her story about princess Pingyang and the art of war but I don't remember being mentioned she read the book to ML. ML's maternal grandfather was educated and I assumed her mom was verbally told/ taught about the art of war. To me, the drama wasn't clear whether ML's mom was educated up to CL's level. I'm not saying she cannot read at all. However, I'm pretty sure she didn't talk about poetry, writing and chess with SH like CL. CL's talent was mentioned a few times in the drama by grandma and SH.

ML mentioned  mom reading to her about war strategies while she talked with GTY after being rescued from drowning.Since your earlier post mentioned that she was uneducated thus I mentioned it.In one of the conversation's ML's aunt also mentioned their family also received education.

About SH, he didn't treat all children same.To do that isn't a crime but he willfully neglected Rulan and ML.

RL had a sharp tongue so it can be taken as a

reason but there was no justification provided for treating ML so since childhood.

He used ML's logic to be saved from emperor's wrath, yet he tried to sacrifice her to be married to count Liang's son / GTY to save his position. He didn't punish Molan severely for trying to enter the men's poetry enclosure during the polo match or trying to harm M's face and ruin marriage prospects.Neither Changfeng for landing him in serious trouble. 

He mentioned about killing Rulan for having an affair but only punished Molan to kneel at the ancestral hall.

He has specifically tried to not dish out harsh punishment to CL's children.He even berated ML for coming home with fanfare post marriage.None in the family were displeased about the issues except  Molan and Aunt Kang because the couple had been courteous and polite.

In contrast Grandma even though favored ML, tried to help with regard to Rulan, Hulan's in-law woes.She was also gentle and polite to changbei's bride. 

Her dealings with her grandchildren had fairness unlike SH which had favoritism.

I don't know how it is in the book but in the drama SH only paid some attention to ML's qualities when tutor Momo called out his bias.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Golden Flower said:

Reveal hidden contents

If you rewatched CW interaction with SH in epi 2, you would see that SH would feel (his facial expression) CW being repulsive to him and he wasn't welcome in her room unlike CL clingy attachment to him. She told him to go back to main house as her house was cold as she was hot from her pregnancy hot flashes. CW didn't complain to SH a bit but lied to him everything was great. When SH found out the truth from ML, he did his best to inquire and stood on CW's side reprimanding both Daniang and CL. It was CL who was good in manipulations making up all the false account books and accusing CW's maid of stealing with all the proofs and witnesses. My point was not about education but CW's efforts to get a place in SH's heart/ mind vs CL's efforts. For SH, CW was just someone Daniang bought for him without much attachment or guilt towards unlike CL. So, he thinks that as long as he provides well and care for her and her children, he fulfills his responsibilities. How could SH know of CW's difficulties and mistreatment if she didn't complain to him or to Daniang who SH considered CW's person? (I do understand CW didn't want to fight and cause trouble within the family but her tolerant was even disappointed by Daniang.) 

@nichiwoohee I'm not trying to police anyone. I quoted your post as it was the most recent post mentioned about SH and I really felt that you were comparing two very different situations. However, I mentioned, that post was intended for characters which are being called evil, stupid and morons and I was using SH as an example to explain the nuances  for those who didn't grasp them and who did not understand to see things in characters' perspectives.

Yin Guo Gong or his wife did not talk to general Shen or go cause ruckus at his house when his concubine Zhou did not respect to their daughter in public by talking back to her many times, making fun of her in public or attending to parties she shouldn't attend. I'm pretty sure they knew that their daughter Zhang did not even attend parties, mainly stayed in her own courtyard at her home where she is supposed to be the main wife in charge and she was badly humiliated by CZ at ML's house which are worse situation than Hulan needing to contribute money to the household to please her mom-in-law in private. He talked to general Shen calmly when they were summoned by ML for their daughter's close to death difficult birth caused by CZ. Btw, YGG's position is higher than general Shen as he is not only general with military control/ 1st grade military minister but also held nobility title and general Shen is only second or third grade military official. SH is only 5th grade official and HL's FIL was third grade nobility. SH even has to give face and respect to his 4th and 6th sons-in-law as their family status is higher than him. So, do you think he would dare to go talk to HL's FIL about his wife giving HL's husband concubines (which is acceptable, he had at least two in drama) and using HL's dowry especially since HL willingly gave the money for household to use to prevent her MIL forcing concubines. Also, SH being a man would not go talk to the wife of Count. If husbands of HL and RL were mistreating them (especially RL's) by ignoring them and giving their concubines position like main wife that HL and RL had to hide in their own yard like (the way General Shen did to his new wife in the beginning), I'm pretty sure SH will have a chat with them. 

My original comment are sequences from my comment how relieved I am that there is still a family who would risk everything for their daughter. Duke ying might be mightier then general shen, but if ber daughter were to be divorced or separated, it will put a dent on his family name. But he didnt care and for that I applause. Sh is still the father in law, who hl’s husband should respect, he could have mentioned how skinny or unhappy hl is, for her husband to pay more attention to her, but he wont, again because he’s bound by all the things you mention. If every evil characters so far could afford being nosy, I’m sure a little talk to his son in law wont hurt, if he really cares for her that is.

It’s inevitable for people to find certain characters as evil or stupid and ignite discussion, if we dont judge the characters based on what they potray, might as well watch documentaries, sit back and learn some history

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, mingminglanlan said:

I like it on viki better. No watermark even tho the watermark is just a writing on the right corner and i go to viki for the timed comments. I go to youtube for better quailty when i want to rewatch some scenes tho.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

47 minutes ago, minglanfan said:

Why is gty yelling at minglan in the new preview posted by leeza77

He asked her why she didn't even write to him when such a big thing happened at her house. ML said it happened too fast and she didn't think about it. GTY says no, its because you didn't believe I'd come.....that I'd rush back to protect you. You didn't trust me to take care of this problem for you. You don't have faith in me......you don't believe that I'll spare nothing to protect you. 

• Like 17
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

EP 59 Finding out the real intention behind 

It still took Grandma Sheng to come to the rescue. Even the clever Ming Lan did not see beyond that great act of the girl Aunt Kang sent. Almost everyone thought that it was merely GTY's stepmom trying to fix Ming Lan's husband a concubine from Aunt Kang's household. The way they manipulated the whole setup was to make it look like ' family matter', adding a second wife to GTY of the girl who was 'Ming Lan's cousin'  from the family of Ming Lan's legitimate mother's side aunt.

After Grandma's questioning, the girl confessed that she was sent on a suicide mission to die in Ming Lan's house so that later on, Aunt Kang could come over and brought her death to sue GTY and Ming Lan in court. The final objective was to drag down Marquis Gu's manor and to completely destroy GTY and Ming Lan.

Ming Lan's first reaction to this was a big rage. She shoved her tea cup from the table to the floor. It was the first time to see her display this much violent anger. However, very soon after that shock, she returned to her usual self's calmness. She spoke with such tranquility how she empathized with the girl as she reminded Ming Lan of her situation when she was young.

With such graciousness, Ming Lan gave the girl two choice. One was to become her husband's concubine and the other was to let Grandma find her a husband and marry her to a household far away from the city.   The girl said she did not want to be any man's concubine. Of course, she would be much better off becoming a man's main wife even if he was not from a rich family.

I wonder how many women in Ming Lan's shoes are able to control that much anger and shock and quickly come up with a win-win solution for the girl and at the same time for herself and her household while speaking with a soft tone and gentle facial expression.  Zhao Liying carried out this performance outstandingly.

Amid all these crying, screaming, grandma's intervention...etc, the big picture that nobody has yet seemed to realize is that both the girl and Aunt Kang are all being used and manipulated by GTY's stepmother for that final goal of killing GTY and robbing him of his marquis title and assets.

5kz7vqR.png

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, dancingbee said:

EP 59 Finding out the real intention behind 

It still took Grandma Sheng to come to the rescue. Even the clever Ming Lan did not see beyond that great act of the girl Aunt Kang sent. Almost everyone thought that it was merely GTY's stepmom trying to fix Ming Lan's husband a concubine from Aunt Kang's household. The way they manipulated the whole setup was to make it look like ' family matter', adding a second wife to GTY of the girl who was 'Ming Lan's cousin'  from the family of Ming Lan's legitimate mother's side aunt.

After Grandma's questioning, the girl confessed that she was sent on a suicide mission to die in Ming Lan's house so that later on, Aunt Kang could come over and brought her death to sue GTY and Ming Lan in court. The final objective was to drag down Marquis Gu's manor and to completely destroy GTY and Ming Lan.

Ming Lan's first reaction to this was a big rage. She shoved her tea cup from the table to the floor. It was the first time to see her display this much violent anger. However, very soon after that shock, she returned to her usual self's calmness. She spoke with such tranquility how she empathized with the girl as she reminded Ming Lan of her situation when she was young.

With such graciousness, Ming Lan gave the girl two choice. One was to become her husband's concubine and the other was to let Grandma find her a husband and marry her to a household far away from the city.   The girl said she did not want to be any man's concubine. Of course, she would be much better off becoming a man's main wife even if he was not from a rich family.

I wonder how many women in Ming Lan's shoes are able to control that much anger and shock and quickly come up with a win-win solution for the girl and at the same time for herself and her household while speaking with a soft tone and gentle facial expression.  Zhao Liying carried out this performance outstandingly.

Amid all these crying, screaming, grandma's intervention...etc, the big picture that nobody has yet seemed to realize is that both the girl or Aunt Kang are all being used and manipulated by GTY's stepmother for that final goal of killing GTY and robbing him of his marquis title and assets.

Yes agreed. Kudos to ML that she kept her calm and came up with that plan very fast and under stress of the situation. 

I'm not sure about the drama but in the book, that offer was actually a test to see whether the girl is telling the truth or not. If it was just a sob story to get ML to keep her and then create a mess later on on Kang Aunt's order.....then the cousin would choose to become the concubine....giving the reason of having no choice. But if the girl really wanted to escape Kang aunts clutches she will pick the other offer.

• Like 7