[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

10 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

QH and his Ms.Shen are a compatible couple.Both can't handle their problems and need to vent/irk the person they believe has wronged them.

They are perfect examples of children of rich nobles who hold themselves in high esteem and thus any problem coming their way is due to someone else.

It’s actually sad, because their society taught them inequality. Even though some of the philosophies /teachings they learn hold high moral values and worldly views of life. It’s embedded to them the difference and treatment of high and low birth. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

It’s actually sad, because their society taught them inequality. Even though some of the philosophies /teachings they learn hold high moral values and worldly views of life. It’s embedded to them the difference and treatment of high and low birth. 

So true.Even though QH firmly believes in this he overlooked it only in ML's case.He wouldn't have accorded the status to ML's mom as GTY did.I believe GTY did make ML fall for him at that instance when he accepted her mom as his MIL.

The radical departure of QH's character from the book is the only thing I am disliking about this drama adaptation. In the book he took his heartbreak like a man, went to a bar, got drunk, got over it and moved on, like most guys would even today.

The drama QH goes for unnecessary second lead soulful heartbreak which just strays too far from realism. I understand the need for conflict and tension in the drama but I wish it was just political differences without ML in the center. It takes so much away from QH who had his flaws but was otherwise such a great character. 

44 minutes ago, mooose said:

The radical departure of QH's character from the book is the only thing I am disliking about this drama adaptation. In the book he took his heartbreak like a man, went to a bar, got drunk, got over it and moved on, like most guys would even today.

The drama QH goes for unnecessary second lead soulful heartbreak which just strays too far from realism. I understand the need for conflict and tension in the drama but I wish it was just political differences without ML in the center. It takes so much away from QH who had his flaws but was otherwise such a great character. 

Yes agree. I believe it’s partly his parents mostly mothers fault for sheltering him all his life. That he doesn’t even have a single friend he can cry on their shoulder. It would’ve done him good to sit down to talk with some drinks like GTY and that Shen guy having some therapy sessions lol. The last thing QH needs or anyone for that matter is the person he hates to see the most confront him and the woman who is the reason for his pain to scold him... I really hope he opens up to his wife, and find comfort in her. Since she seems level headed enough to not hold any unfounded grudge on ML.

EPISODE 53: 

I don’t know why I can’t take it seriously and laugh whenever GTY and ML bicker like old married couple. :joy:

if I were ML personal maid I would’ve busted my richard simmons off laughing at ML retorts to GTY. She is very clear minded but also very simple. GTY face in disbelief cracks me up. :joy: Maybe their attennas are not working because they can’t channel into each other’s mind anymore like before when they weren’t married. Lol

ML wins again in winning people over. It’s refreshing to see ML encouraging woman instead of plotting against each other. I see now how she climbs up to be the woman amongst woman. They will surely admire her in the end... 

In episode 52, the conversation between ML and Danju really drove home some really sad truths. 

Women, in general, could never expect an equal relationship. If she isn't pregnant, she should let the husband take in women who could help with the propagation of the family bloodline. 

When she gets pregnant, she will be once again forced to take in more women to "serve" the husband while she's pregnant. 

That's their fate....

And worse, is the fate of the servants..

Danju went as far as offering themselves to serve GTY when ML gets pregnant so that no other spies/woman would come to the household. 

When Molan made the grave mistake, the maidservants were beaten to death. 

When QH displeased his mom, Buwei was beaten to death. 

Their life is worth as much as whatever the master deemed it to be. 

XiaoTao, Danju and CuiWei are all very "lucky" for ML cares for them, and wouldn't sacrifice them for her own benefit, but it does show how sad the fate of servants can be. 

Comparatively, human to human, QH's fate is far more fortunate. Born as Di, son of Duke, he could pursue his dreams. He has a say in his life. He could to some extent, control his own fate. And he would never have to share his wife with other men. 

I used QH as comparison, and not GTY because QH has been moping around, blaming fate for the lost of his love. But really, looking at the bigger picture, comparatively, he hasn't lost that much...but he wouldn't be able to see that, because he was born entitled at the very first place. 

13 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

In episode 52, the conversation between ML and Danju really drove home some really sad truths. 

Women, in general, could never expect an equal relationship. If she isn't pregnant, she should let the husband take in women who could help with the propagation of the family bloodline. 

When she gets pregnant, she will be once again forced to take in more women to "serve" the husband while she's pregnant. 

That's their fate....

And worse, is the fate of the servants..

Danju went as far as offering themselves to serve GTY when ML gets pregnant so that no other spies/woman would come to the household. 

When Molan made the grave mistake, the maidservants were beaten to death. 

When QH displeased his mom, Buwei was beaten to death. 

Their life is worth as much as whatever the master deemed it to be. 

XiaoTao, Danju and CuiWei are all very lucky for ML cares for them, and wouldn't sacrifice them for her own benefit, but it does show how sad the fate of servants can be. 

Comparatively, human to human, QH's fate is far more fortunate. Born as Di, son of Duke, he could pursue his dreams. He has a say in his life. He could to some extent, control his own fate. And he would never have to share his wife with other men. 

I used QH as comparison, and not GTY because QH has been moping around, blaming fate for the lost of his love. But really, looking at the bigger picture, comparatively, he hasn't lost that much...but he wouldn't be able to see that, because he was born entitled at the very first place. 

Well said.Women and slaves/servants were no better than second class citizen to be placed wherever the men in charge of their fate drove them too.The ones who could skillfully  manipulate had hope for a modicum of decent life.Thus we see so much of ruthless kitchen politics in the inner households.Be smart and cunning to survive or perish.

Equality, fairness was nothing more than a jargon.

Even if there was an intention to overcome the barriers from a man the society in those times disapproved such a move.It would make it difficult for the man to keep his resolve even if he wished.

The one thing that has impressed me about TSoML is the treatment of female characters. From the villainous upperclass women to the lowly servants, there's alot of depth to them.

ML's characterization has been great. I love how ML seamlessly treads through struggles while staying upright. I've seen many dramas where female characters are put in awful situation that demeans their character so ML has been such a breathe of fresh air. She's so competent & smart. I like that she's still in the process of growing & learning. Her relationship w/TY is icing on the cake. 

2 hours ago, mooose said:

My POV QT's behaviour changs in d novel and drama prolly to relate more to current viewers behaviours? Those days it cld be unacceptable or even disastrous to express feelings so openly like QH. Wrongly interpreted or falling into wrong ears may even cost them their heads. Imagine who else can QH safely express his unsettled feelings if not to ML?

Today we r more civil in our approaches, more connected, we even have the luxury to pay psychiatrist to listen to our woes..

First love is never easy to forget 

So true, this is why I like historical dramas the most. Whether we can blame it on fate or circumstances ultimately we know the world we live in especially in historical dramas is unfair. That’s why I find the stories so much more interesting because my modernist views goes out the door and we can really look at the characters for who they are and not put upon our preconceived notions.

The human nature knows no name, gender, status, nor age. This is why even the most fortunate people (rich) compared to the unfortunate (poor) can also live a miserable life. Have a messed up broken family/household. Living a life on someone else foot path. Being used as a tool for political marriage. Having to follow the career path of the parents/inheriting the parents business/household... There is barely any room for someone to truly discover/know who they are. Or have a dream of their own... That’s why they can only blame it on fate and karma for being born low or high status. 

This is like the conversation ML had with Madam Zhang. Because we can’t change our fate, we can only learn to accept ones fate and live our days and make the most of it. 

That Auntie Kang is so annoying, why does she bother with Minglan so much when she is not even related to her. I can understand the evil stepmother or evil concubine or evil wife of ex boyfriend or evil half sister, but Auntie Kang is fully an outsider. She is not even the sister of Sheng Hong, she is the sister of Wang Ruofu. Even Wang Ruofu is not that evil towards Minglan. What is she gaining from being evil to Minglan? At least with the stepmom, it would be the Gu wealth and title. 

When GTY fifth aunt was interfering with the maids at GTY new house, Minglan indirectly told her off that she is nobody. At least she has a little shame and left after realising that she is not even her mother in law nor sister in law. Why is Auntie Kang has no shame and why is Minglan not saying anything??

7 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

EPISODE 53: 

I can’t stop laughing at GTY. He is so childish making the defenseless sleeping beauty ML smell his dirty socks. :joy: I’m literally dying. I thought he would draw on her face next as well. And when ML woke up to GTY her smile was so cute I was awed that she was very pleased to wake up with hubby by her side and didn’t sleep with the concubine. I was grinning. That’s how you do it GTY. In fact I think that concubine brought them closer. ML getting the taste of what it’s like giving her man to another woman. ML wakes up and asked GTY why he’s in her room? My my ML were you dreaming last night? 

I died laughing at that part too:joy:.you can see how happy he was when he reached her bed.then try to wake her up with smelling his socks ,then he was disappointed that she wasn`t awake.It`s really a cute scene for GTY.smiling so happily just to sleep next to her:joy:.

---------------

But that concubine thing.Did she know that he doesn`t touch her or not? also she asked him about her in ep 54 if she make any trouble for him.well.Minglan.I lift up my hat for your coldness .she looks like she totally doesn`t care when her maid said GTY was cold these days.and when he was mad going to the court she said maybe there`s some problem there..where is your smart head girl:pensive:

---------------

About their fight scene.was that the fight scene that we were waiting for?.i don`t think they will sort out their feeling that way:blink:.But also it was so funny when ML rode that thing and he change his tone voice and say i won`t ride with her.he is so childish when it come to ML really:joy:.

Spoiler
17 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

So true, this is why I like historical dramas the most. Whether we can blame it on fate or circumstances ultimately we know the world we live in especially in historical dramas is unfair. That’s why I find the stories so much more interesting because my modernist views goes out the door and we can really look at the characters for who they are and not put upon our preconceived notions.

The human nature knows no name, gender, status, nor age. This is why even the most fortunate people (rich) compared to the unfortunate (poor) can also live a miserable life. Have a messed up broken family/household. Living a life on someone else foot path. Being used as a tool for political marriage. Having to follow the career path of the parents/inheriting the parents business/household... There is barely any room for someone to truly discover/know who they are. Or have a dream of their own... That’s why they can only blame it on fate and karma for being born low or high status. 

This is like the conversation ML had with Madam Zhang. Because we can’t change our fate, we can only learn to accept ones fate and live our days and make the most of it. 

Indeed...but in an era where there are more people dying from famine, struggling to stay warm, struggling to have enough food to feed the family, or just threading on thin ice to ensure they don't anger their master and lose their lives for no reason or fault of theirs, getting into loveless political marriage and forced to take over the family household is a luxurious problem to have. 

I guess it's fair to say everyone is fighting their own battle, where the aristocrat is also fighting each other to stay in power or not lose favour of imperial family/ powerful officials. 

Just that if we look at it holistically, they are by far, much more privileged. 

And if they are men, born into a noble family, by a legitimate/main wife, it's really a jackpot.

Again my POV aft watching up to eps 54.. if GTY's proposal was on equal grounds with QT (did not involve palace) and dowries still not sent, I think marrying QH should be the better option. 

That QH and ML without doubt and known to many are in love, being mamas boy and tht mama now have consented, their live could be less problematic, less stressful hence more peaceful and happier??... prolly even having lots of children (QH had twins right?)

We can feel how sincere and open both were when they had that conversation on the bridge.

13 minutes ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Again my POV aft watching up to eps 54.. if GTY's proposal was on equal grounds with QT (did not involve palace) and dowries still not sent, I think marrying QH should be the better option. 

That QH and ML without doubt and known to many are in love, being mamas boy and tht mama now have consented, their live could be less problematic, less stressful hence more peaceful and happier??... prolly even having lots of children (QH had twins right?)

We can feel how sincere and open both were when they had that conversation on the bridge.

Personally, I’d choose GTY over QH. Just because QH and ML were in love, doesn’t mean they will have a happy life. His mother consented the marriage not because she likes ML but because of the current situation the Qi family was in at that time. The Qi parents were also seen bad mouthing ML when they heard about GTY buying food for ML and her “antics” at the Gu household. 

I feel like GTY can protects ML better. He doesn’t care about his or his family image, he just do whatever he likes. He can stand up to his stepmom and uncles/aunts, the thing I doubt QH can. If ML is with QH, I don’t think she can be freely expressing herself like when she is with GTY. I think QH only see the soft, weak, elegant, virtous side of ML.

Also we don’t know what that arrogant Princess (Qi Mama) would do as ML mother in law. QH may loves ML and defends her at times but what about those time he is not home. ML probably continues to live a pretentious life like she was at the Sheng house so she is safe. And he will not have the guts to move out of the Qi manor like GTY did. There is also no guarantee that QH wouldn’t take in a concubine even when he said he wouldn’t. GTY said when he propose that he can’t guarantee that life with him would be easy, but I think with GTY, ML can become herself rather than pretending to be stupid and in daze all the time. 

30 minutes ago, m0us3y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Indeed...but in an era where there are more people dying from famine, struggling to stay warm, struggling to have enough food to feed the family, or just threading on thin ice to ensure they don't anger their master and lose their lives for no reason or fault of theirs, getting into loveless political marriage and forced to take over the family household is a luxurious problem to have. 

I guess it's fair to say everyone is fighting their own battle, where the aristocrat is also fighting each other to stay in power or not lose favour of imperial family/ powerful officials. 

Just that if we look at it holistically, they are by far, much more privileged. 

And if they are men, born into a noble family, by a legitimate/main wife, it's really a jackpot.

Honestly, if I were in their era, I’d wish I were like in Mengfei comes across. Living off the emperor, just live my days trying to be an unnoticed concubine. Enjoy eating and gossiping with the other unfavored concubines and reading manhuas all day all night. What a great life. 

@cherubstomato when I was watching Ruyi/Yanxi, I was discussing with my friends how life inside the palace is really bad. But life as a maid/slave would even be worse. We came to a conclusion at that time, that if we became daughter of the Lords then maybe it wouldn't be as bad, since we would be powerful enough not be bullied but not significant enough to be killed by those who want power. And then we watch Minglan ... and life as daughters of the Lords are just equally as bad :joy:

Dang! I'm finally caught up and finally caught up on everyone's frustration with Minglan. GTY is absolutely correct, Minglan acts like a 3 year old in romance. I'm finally frustrated with her. She is ridiculous. She's so smart, she can fix other people's marriages, why can't she talk to him about it, at least? I accept she doesn't get it. But she knows he's mad at her, she should swallow her pride to fix things with him. He should also spell it out for her because she's too darn clueless. 

Archived