Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

3 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

She is always eating and it is obvious she shares food with her maids LOL

During Gty gig at his concubine room, he grumbled when shitou told him that ml was eating with xiaotao. Why are they not acted like madam and maid, but like sisters, eating.. Lol

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

5 hours ago, dopez said:

IMO, Liang Han is actually quite a pity guy. Maybe I have a soft spot for him as I think his looks is very charming lol. But if only Molan actually knows her place and idk being a good wife for him after marriage is better but no. She had to scheme at their house against the concubines and must have done something to his babies. Governess Kong is so correct when she said that Molan is smart and sharp and outstanding in all matters. But she always let herself smart and regard everyone else as fools. A smart man can be ruined by his smarts.

Hopefully Liang Han's brain get the hints given by ML during the fight and Molan's maid in his room. 

I was a bit confused by playboy Liang. I initially thought he was being sarcastic when he asked Molan if she schemed their meeting at the temple. I mean, she was sneaking around in a maid's uniform so how could he believe it was 'fate'? No wonder he still hasn't passed the exams...

• LOL 17

5 minutes ago, mooose said:

I was a bit confused by playboy Liang. I initially thought he was being sarcastic when he asked Molan if she schemed their meeting at the temple. I mean, she was sneaking around in a maid's uniform so how could he believe it was 'fate'? No wonder he still hasn't passed the exams...

Well then, they deserved each other. Seems SH got a son in law that are dumb just like him.. 

• LOL 8

9 hours ago, leeza77 said:

I can't watch the stepmom scene.. She is despicable and the most evil character in this drama...what's more she is actually best friend with Auntie Kang, the equally detestable evil maniac character. I feel like slapping soundly both of them when they were gossipping at the house party. Or just ask ml to slap them for me. Ml slap is the best. The sound was crisp. The angle for her hand just high enough to give an optimum effect abd the location of slapping was exact.. Ha ha. :joy:

Yes, I like ML slap.  Whack!  I want her to slap GTY stepmom.  Her conniving ways and two faced scheming methods made me want to slap her silly.  Seems like these women has nothing better to do than resort to tears, fainting spells, small childlike voice to make themselves pitiful. Grrrrrrrrr

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

@gleek49 GTY and QH were equally selfish in their own ways... GTY has no right to lecture QH just as QH has no right to hold grudges on GTY.

I didn’t think their relationship was casual. Lol They grew up together as well. If it were casual QH wouldn’t be so affected the way he is towards GTY... If it were casual GTY wouldn’t try to help him with a very dangerous plan that could cause his life or his loved ones... I truly believed QH genuinely wished well for ML just as GTY wished well for QH and ML. QH never showed resentment towards Dr He (I’m sure he knows about it as news travel fast) nor did he try to break their engagement off like GTY... He just didn’t imagine it would be his uncle whom he looked up to, confided in, whom had seen the heart break he and ML went through to be that man for ML... It’s not about valuing someone’s emotions over others... It’s about valuing relationship from brother to brother.

Yes, they are both selfish in their own ways. I can sympathize with QH to a point. Yes, his feelings were hurt. However, QH and GTY are really the distant relative you see once in a while. They did not grow up together because GTY has always been in and out of the Gu household. And judging from some of the little snippets of conversation between QH’s parents, they would have avoided any relationship with GTY, if they could.  Also, in small circles like that, marrying someone who someone you know liked years ago, is common, especially in those days where most marriages were arranged. Only difference is QH can’t seem to fully move on and he would be the same if ML was married to Dr. He except there would be no way for QH to act out on his frustrations since Dr He is not a prestigious person with personal faults except the cousin concubine thing. 

My issue with QH is that he is letting it all cloud his judgement and abilities. He’s supposed to be smart but did not investigate things thoroughly with the rumors. His credibility for me as a professional who was only doing his job went out the window at that point. 

I get it, for him ML was the love of his life, however, if everyone obsessed over a lost childhood sweetheart, the world would be in chaos. For me, this is where the writers went wrong. They failed to establish the foundation for depth of QH’s love for ML which is why I have a hard time believing that it is love. From how their relationship was before to how his behavior is now, it’s seems more of an obsession. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 4

24 minutes ago, huahuacaocao said:

agh no eps today acc to the calendar rip my daily dose of minglan :')

Whattttttttt?  How come?  :dissapointed_relieved:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, huahuacaocao said:

agh no eps today acc to the calendar rip my daily dose of minglan :')

I have a withdrawal syndrome tonight.. Need a dose of TSOM.. :bawling:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

Whattttttttt?  How come?  :dissapointed_relieved:

Hunan tv is broadcasting spring festival tonight.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

GTY and ML are so cute in this. But poor QH, looks like ED is really playing on him now. It also makes me curious, if ED took over, who would be her heir? Can this somehow point to QH since QH and his mom are ones that some historical royal blood in her family (since she kinda adopted QH mom). Hmmm...more intrigue and ammo for ED to get certain people on her side for benefits??

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, hello210 said:

GTY and ML are so cute in this. But poor QH, looks like ED is really playing on him now. It also makes me curious, if ED took over, who would be her heir? Can this somehow point to QH since QH and his mom are ones that some historical royal blood in her family (since she kinda adopted QH mom). Hmmm...more intrigue and ammo for ED to get certain people on her side for benefits??

I don't think QH as an heir is a possibility. ED's using QH just as a pawn to make trouble in the court for GTY and those on emperors side. For ED to gain power to overthrow the emperor she will need the support of Yong wang's clan as they seemed to be the powerful enough to go against Yan wang's faction. Hence the old emperor was about to make him the crown prince. Qi family has basically no clout, as QH's mom once said. 

There was a scene in the trailer...where QH's meeting a lot of people....looking like clan elders in his house. So QH is going to join the rebellion, it seems. Maybe ED is just being greedy....and QH is being blind and deaf.... her greed and his narrow-mindedness will cost many people their lives. 

I don't understand her purpose in bringing about this chaos in the court....does she not hear that people are happy with the new emperor. Or is it because her and her supporters corruption is coming to light and thats why she wants the attention diverted to emperor's "immoral" supporters. Or was she manipulating the old emperor and the new emperor has his own mind?

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

26 minutes ago, dito said:

I don't think QH as an heir is a possibility. ED's using QH just as a pawn to make trouble in the court for GTY and those on emperors side. For ED to gain power to overthrow the emperor she will need the support of Yong wang's clan as they seemed to be the powerful enough to go against Yan wang's faction. Hence the old emperor was about to make him the crown prince. Qi family has basically no clout, as QH's mom once said. 

There was a scene in the trailer...where QH's meeting a lot of people....looking like clan elders in his house. So QH is going to join the rebellion, it seems. Maybe ED is just being greedy....and QH is being blind and deaf.... her greed and his narrow-mindedness will cost many people their lives. 

I don't understand her purpose in bringing about this chaos in the court....does she not hear that people are happy with the new emperor. Or is it because her and her supporters corruption is coming to light and thats why she wants the attention diverted to emperor's "immoral" supporters. Or was she manipulating the old emperor and the new emperor has his own mind?

I think you are right. She wants to keep the corruption hidden and she wants to control the power. Since the new Emperor might distance himself from her after a while, she starts the rebellion before this happens.  The new Emperor has his men, so the ED should rely on those that aren't inner circle of the Emperor but still powerful like QH's clan.And she needs to put the Emperor's men out of power.

If QH joins the rebellion, I expect a final showdown between GTY and QH.

• Like 5

ML has yet to realize that TY is nothing like her father. TY showers her w/ the upmost respect & love. He may been w/ multiple ladies in the past & had an unwed mistress, but even now, he has no intentions having concubines at all. ML is his one & only legitimate wife. He's made it clear, but it seems it hasn't register in her head.

QH isnt some virginal saint anymore. Hes been w/ two ladies/wives. QH idealizes ML but ML also does the same. She puts QH on a pedestal w/ a brimming halo from the get-go, since he's never been to brothels/play around. This doesnt make him a better marriage prospect/ potential partner. He's nothing but a bland virtuous lala land, a primly dolt.

QH doesnt understand ML's true nature. He wasn't willing to risk everything for her. TY said it so himself. QH waited so long to ask ML's hand in marriage even after QH's 1st wife died, when he couldve went to ML immediately. Instead, QH thought about his reputation first. 

A marriage is two souls & one body. TY is exerting so much energy in their relationship/marriage in terms  emotional weight. I'm not saying ML doesn't love TY, but he isnt someone ML has to repay back because he's kind. TY is her partner & vice versa.

Ep 49 was really good. It perfectly illustrates the slight disconnect & tension between the ML&TY. The dramatic nuance is great. It will be interesting to see how this internal conflict resolves.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I’m kinda curious of how the aftermath of granny’s poisoning is going to be. I feel like the heart to heart talk between them is already done after ml’s outburst  after the arguments at the Sheng’s house.

Gty said he was surprised that the calm ml could be so scary, isnt that what he is supposed to say in the novel after watching ml rage after the poisoning? What will their talk going to be? :huh:

Why do I feel like they switch the personality of book and drama gty and ml?  Drama ml is more stoic while gty is more candid and witty. Great decision on gty’s part tho.. since they got rid of the things I cant stand about him :sweatingbullets: book ml had it worst after the marriage, I just want her to say I’m OUTTA here :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

15 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

I’m kinda curious of how the aftermath of granny’s poisoning is going to be. I feel like the heart to heart talk between them is already done after ml’s outburst  after the arguments at the Sheng’s house.

Gty said he was surprised that the calm ml could be so scary, isnt that what he is supposed to say in the novel after watching ml rage after the poisoning? What will their talk going to be? :huh:

Why do I feel like they switch the personality of book and drama gty and ml?  Drama ml is more stoic while gty is more candid and witty. Great decision on gty’s part tho.. since they got rid of the things I cant stand about him :sweatingbullets: book ml had it worst after the marriage, I just want her to say I’m OUTTA here :joy:

In the novel there was also the bit about him confessing he wasn't completely open since he was able to act completely rational during the fire. So yeah, it depends on how they are going to deal with the fire accident.

I agree, the changes make them more relatable and adorable, But apart few things, I like the drama more. It might be because I skipped a lot and it was hard to read with translation

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

I've been re-reading some chapters and have to agree....ML was stressed out completely handling all his messy family affairs. 

It was only a few of GTY's lines from there. ML lines was not spoken.

In the book after the granny poisoning is handled...

Spoiler

He says he couldn't believe she would risk everything, without a single thought, blackmailing people, putting pressure, torturing them to get what she wants. It was then that ML told him why she's disappointed in him. She almost lost her life during child birth....manniang attacking her, stepmom burning the house down during her delivery....and though he came in time to save her, he did nothing avenge her. He just sent manniang away and started planning to take revenge in the near future. She was disappointed that even in such a situation, he was calm enough to think clearly. While she was so blinded by rage and vengeance when granny was poisoned that all she could think about was getting her hands on those people and destroying them.

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

8 minutes ago, fra8 said:

In the novel there was also the bit about him confessing he wasn't completely open since he was able to act completely rational during the fire. So yeah, it depends on how they are going to deal with the fire accident.

I agree, the changes make them more relatable and adorable, But apart few things, I like the drama more. It might be because I skipped a lot and it was hard to read with translation

Its hard because I look forward to the arc from the novel, but also like the changes from the drama. And I like the drama more too, although

Spoiler

I kinda miss witty book ml, her narration is hilarious, but I understand since there’s no time traveling, it would look out of place. As a replacement we got witty gty. All is well I guess

one of my fav bits from the book was when ml just finished fending of stepmom, gu family, his tongfangs, and in comes gty, so ml cursed him silently for bringing so much drama in her life. I wish I could see that in the drama :P

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

5 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

In what way do I view ML as an object owned by QH? I never said ML should’ve waited for QH to fix his family issues, passed the exam, and marry him? 

I never said ML should’ve asked permission to QH before marrying GTY or Dr. He. 

Im not talking about ML POV, I’m talking about the relationship between QH and GTY. Man to man. Brother to brother. 

Imagine if one of ML trusted maid betrayed her and becomes a concubine to GTY. That is the point I’m saying, that I understand QH POV to why he holds some resentment towards GTY. I also know GTY POV, but there’s no reason for me to highlight it since everyone agrees to GTY pov. I’m highlighting QH POV because I sympathize with him in Episode 51. 

Hmm. OK I will rephrase then.. I think I understand your points.. As a brother to brother, it seems as if GTY betrayed him.... Since that's Qh's pov but to me he is still just trying to blame someone for his inability.. So it has nothing to do with their relationship, he just was able to blame him since he is someone that can't be said to be a strange to him. That's all.. Everyone doesn't have it greatly like QH does if we want to be frank and that's why he is pompous and believes that what doesn't go well for him is because someone else sabotaged it.. Like really.. I admit he is hurt, but he shouldn't go pinning his anger on someone else.. 

3 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I see a few people sympathizes with QH there is nothing wrong with that but I find his opinion of being betrayed by GTY pathetic. I feel that if he truly understood or know GTY, know matter how mad he is . He would never believe the ranting of MN or rumors that are going around the town about him. QH has lead such a sheltered life that he could never smell conspiracy brewing in his own life/court. He is such a follower, he can never be a leader because he doesn’t know how to think outside the box.  TBH GTY was never really close to QH .  If he was close to him like Changbai is he would of have asked him what is going on instead of trying to ruin him without physical proof. We all watched the Prince tell the Emperor that once The Scholars saw the stab wound , they stop trying to bully GTY. QH  and his parents easily believe in rumors and are very bad at judging peole. They believe/trust people who are on high position. With the exception of QH, his parents do look down on people of the lower cast instead of judging someone on their character because of how they grew up. Like @gleek49 QH has never been there for him or seen his struggle and pain since they were young. CB is like a brother to him and respected  GTY . 

So spot on.. Like if we are truly saying it, QH knows deep down that GTY is not like MN is claiming but because of 9f his personal grudge, he took it as an opportunity to destroy GTY.. He is just a broken guy that's bent over personal revenge right now, who needs to be beaten back to reality 

3 hours ago, gleek49 said:

As I was saying, QH was affected because he himself is hurt, he's looking for someone to bear the blame for his misery. He can't be angry at the stranger like Dr.He, of course it's easier to blame someone he knows. They didn't grow up together, they know each other growing up, there's a difference. GTY was going to risk himself for ML's future happiness too, not just for QH. If it wasn't for ML, I doubt he would go to talk to QH the minute he heard about his engagement. 

QH doesn't have to ask for her hand right away, but he could at least let his intention known. No one was obligated to go and ask for his permission to propose to his ex girlfriend, years after he'd already married someone else. 

Yes QH doesn't care about anyone's feelings other than himself. He didn't care about ML's feelings when he ignore all of her warnings and rejections. He didn't care about her feelings when he decided ALL ON HIS OWN that he should marry her after his wife died. He didn't care about his parents' feelings when he pull the birthday stunt on his mother or starve himself. Did you see how he was treating his 2nd wife? He obviously didn't care about her feelings either. I would say that he didn't care for GTY's feelings, but you would just say that GTY doesn't deserve it, so don't bother. I mean honestly, have you seen him talking about anything other than his own feelings, his own issues?

And please don't say that QH had it "unfair", everyone in the world has some sort of hardship. QH was born rich, handsome and talented, with parents completely devoted to him. Right now his career is going along greatly, he can have a nice marriage too if he's willing to work on it. Life is not unfair to him, he's bleeping blessed. He's the only one doesn't appreciate it. I'm honestly so done with his whiny, entitled richard simmons throwing tantrums and blaming others when things doesn't get his way. So what if GTY wanted to put his own need first? He doesn't own QH anything, he has already tried to help QH the best way he knows how, he doesn't have to curate his life to please some random guy who's only his friend when he need him and nowhere to be seen when his life is hard. That's how I see it, GTY did nothing wrong to QH and QH needs to stop acting like a spoiled child.

Exactly, QH does not care about anyone's feelings, he only sees his feelings like the only thing that matters, like i said QH is just a dogmatic person and a zombie at feelings.. He absolutely loves someone but to him his feelings on what to do and what to gain matters most.. He needs to stop acting so pious when he is not in anyway pious.. He has a lot more than anyone will, so like ML said he should just cherish it and stop being a pain in the neck.. 

3 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I see a few people sympathizes with QH there is nothing wrong with that but I find his opinion of being betrayed by GTY pathetic. I feel that if he truly understood or know GTY, know matter how mad he is . He would never believe the ranting of MN or rumors that are going around the town about him. QH has lead such a sheltered life that he could never smell conspiracy brewing in his own life/court. He is such a follower, he can never be a leader because he doesn’t know how to think outside the box.  TBH GTY was never really close to QH .  If he was close to him like Changbai is he would of have asked him what is going on instead of trying to ruin him without physical proof. We all watched the Prince tell the Emperor that once The Scholars saw the stab wound , they stop trying to bully GTY. QH  and his parents easily believe in rumors and are very bad at judging peole. They believe/trust people who are on high position. With the exception of QH, his parents do look down on people of the lower cast instead of judging someone on their character because of how they grew up. Like @gleek49 QH has never been there for him or seen his struggle and pain since they were young. CB is like a brother to him and respected  GTY . 

So spot on.. QH is just being in denial now that he is doing all this for personal reasons and that he is trying to 'save' ML when he hasn't even saved himself.. So it's OK to sympathize with him, which I don't feel, but trying to say his Pov that GTY should have told him about ML considering their relationship is right to me, is not right at all.. Even if my blood brother was in love with someone, and he left her positively, not negatively like QH did, I will never tell him that I love your ex girlfriend, so can I date her.. I will date her and if we eventually marry, I will just tell my brother, it has nothing to did with you and you are not entitled to her anymore, so I definitely owe you no explanation.. A wise man will know that I'm saying the bitter truth.. So QH should act the pious side he thinks he is, and stop disturbing the society. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, dito said:

I've been re-reading some chapters and have to agree....ML was stressed out completely handling all his messy family affairs. 

It was only a few of GTY's lines from there. ML lines was not spoken.

In the book after the granny poisoning is handled...

Hide contents

He says he couldn't believe she would risk everything, without a single thought, blackmailing people, putting pressure, torturing them to get what she wants. It was then that ML told him why she's disappointed in him. She almost lost her life during child birth....manniang attacking her, stepmom burning the house down during her delivery....and though he came in time to save her, he did nothing avenge her. He just sent manniang away and started planning to take revenge in the near future. She was disappointed that even in such a situation, he was calm enough to think clearly. While she was so blinded by rage and vengeance when granny was poisoned that all she could think about was getting her hands on those people and destroying them.

Spoiler

Yes, which will be out of character for drama gty to NOT murder manniang. So far ml has been his consciousness from being reckless, cant wait how the drama incorporates the poisoning arc and the *maybe* new arc of gty fall from grace

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hello210 said:

Yes, they are both selfish in their own ways. I can sympathize with QH to a point. Yes, his feelings were hurt. However, QH and GTY are really the distant relative you see once in a while. They did not grow up together because GTY has always been in and out of the Gu household. And judging from some of the little snippets of conversation between QH’s parents, they would have avoided any relationship with GTY, if they could.  Also, in small circles like that, marrying someone who someone you know liked years ago, is common, especially in those days where most marriages were arranged. Only difference is QH can’t seem to fully move on and he would be the same if ML was married to Dr. He except there would be no way for QH to act out on his frustrations since Dr He is not a prestigious person with personal faults except the cousin concubine thing. 

My issue with QH is that he is letting it all cloud his judgement and abilities. He’s supposed to be smart but did not investigate things thoroughly with the rumors. His credibility for me as a professional who was only doing his job went out the window at that point. 

I get it, for him ML was the love of his life, however, if everyone obsessed over a lost childhood sweetheart, the world would be in chaos. For me, this is where the writers went wrong. They failed to establish the foundation for depth of QH’s love for ML which is why I have a hard time believing that it is love. From how their relationship was before to how his behavior is now, it’s seems more of an obsession. 

It's an obsession, the writer from the start didn't paint their love as an healthy thoughts at all, ML had a sort of infatuation for him as she is also like other girls that sees him as an ideal and she was glad that this man of the city was fighting for her, while QH amazed by her temperament had an obsession over her and want their to be called his by the whole world thinking he is the righteous of the all.. So I think from the start, the writer never painted it as a sincere love but as an obsessed love being pretentiously seen as pure 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, nichiwoohee said:

The couples habits are rubbing off each other slowly. I bursted out laughing when ML threw that chopsticks. She should’ve thrown the plate for better sound effect. :joy:

I wish they added that narration of ML thoughts. That would give us a better insight on her cleaverness...And that would give the drama some comedy. But I guess they don’t want it to be like a comedy drama.

34 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Its hard because I look forward to the arc from the novel, but also like the changes from the drama. And I like the drama more too, although

Hide contents

I kinda miss witty book ml, her narration is hilarious, but I understand since there’s no time traveling, it would look out of place. As a replacement we got witty gty. All is well I guess

one of my fav bits from the book was when ml just finished fending of stepmom, gu family, his tongfangs, and in comes gty, so ml cursed him silently for bringing so much drama in her life. I wish I could see that in the drama :P

• Like 5

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:

I have a withdrawal syndrome tonight.. Need a dose of TSOM.. :bawling:

Reveal hidden contents

Hunan tv is broadcasting spring festival tonight.. 

Is it just today or will they not be showing it because of Chinese New Year?

• Like 2