[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

1 minute ago, cherubstomato said:

@UnniSarah Yes, I agree. He shouldn’t bring his personal grudge with him to work. He is holding a grudge far too long and it’s getting the best of him.

ZYL was such a good actor, that scene of him and FSF confrontation. And he was all tears, ugh I couldn’t help but also in tears. I don’t know why his expression just show a whole lot. And in that moment was when I sympathize with QH. Resentment, regret, shame all sharp blades slicing through his heart. All the words that GTY said to him went for the kill, straight in the heart because he knows himself that it’s true. 

@cherubstomato...ZYL’s performance was very good. I think once I saw that performance, I felt he realized that he was targeting GTY for personal reasons. When he started tearing up he kept repeating that he was just doing his job. Now we have to wait to see will he stop or contact down the path of revenge.  What do you think??

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UnniSarah said:

@cherubstomato...ZYL’s performance was very good. I think once I saw that performance, I felt he realized that he was targeting GTY for personal reasons. When he started tearing up he kept repeating that he was just doing his job. Now we have to wait to see will he stop or contact down the path of revenge.  What do you think??

Yes, I feel as if he was trying to reassure his heart that he is over ML. He was trying his best but it was more like pretending to move on... He is in denial. The way to let go/move on, one must first learn to accept. He still hasn’t accepted the fact ML is GTY now. This I feel is hindering him from moving on, as well as him holding onto grudge... The confrontation with GTY may have opened QH to realize that he still loves ML. We’ll see how it plays out. It’s hard to make a judgement based on previews. 

I hope QH isn't involved because it would taint his feelings for ML. But I am not sure since I doubt his role is over after the confrontation with ML.  Next episodes are really packed and we have tons of vilains, I'd be fine without QH playing that role too.

However they stresses their antagonism in court, they even looked at each other in one of the clip, QH is on ED side and if he is there for ML during the fire, while GTY isn't, he could convince himself GTY doesnt deserve her and he has to act to protect her.

6 hours ago, hello210 said:

That smug look on her face showed that she was probably expecting a position but we saw that GTY wasn’t really going to sleep with her.  I think she stirs up trouble if that’s her that was trying to take a blade to the throat in front of ML in one of the previews? Probably because she has not been made an official concubine and GTY basically didn’t want her or touch her. 

Also so on another note, in one of the previews we can see that 3rd Gu bro, GTW, may be aligning himself with ED like in the novel so we may see that twist in his character since he can’t get away from Stepmom’s influence completely. 

I know right?  LOL.  Served her right.  She was looking a tad smug when Aunt Gu told ML that she is giving a concubine to GTY since ML is still not pregnant despite being married for almost a year :triumph:.  She looked uncomfortable around GTY and he just went off to sleep with his beloved wifey.....I was like "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, so sweet":heart:

1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

Same, but it is already all bad. Since her trusted maid might become sixth Liang new concubine and he is onto Molans act. I just hope to see that she pays for the caused of the other concubine miscarriage.

I'm loving the fact that Sixth Liang is taking Molan's maid as his concubine. This should drive Molan crazy. I hope the maid is also cunning and can handle Molan. Also the maid was supposed to get married but not released by Molan. So I think the maid should hold some grudge towards her. 

3 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

She is always eating and it is obvious she shares food with her maids LOL

During Gty gig at his concubine room, he grumbled when shitou told him that ml was eating with xiaotao. Why are they not acted like madam and maid, but like sisters, eating.. Lol

5 hours ago, dopez said:

IMO, Liang Han is actually quite a pity guy. Maybe I have a soft spot for him as I think his looks is very charming lol. But if only Molan actually knows her place and idk being a good wife for him after marriage is better but no. She had to scheme at their house against the concubines and must have done something to his babies. Governess Kong is so correct when she said that Molan is smart and sharp and outstanding in all matters. But she always let herself smart and regard everyone else as fools. A smart man can be ruined by his smarts.

Hopefully Liang Han's brain get the hints given by ML during the fight and Molan's maid in his room. 

I was a bit confused by playboy Liang. I initially thought he was being sarcastic when he asked Molan if she schemed their meeting at the temple. I mean, she was sneaking around in a maid's uniform so how could he believe it was 'fate'? No wonder he still hasn't passed the exams...

5 minutes ago, mooose said:

I was a bit confused by playboy Liang. I initially thought he was being sarcastic when he asked Molan if she schemed their meeting at the temple. I mean, she was sneaking around in a maid's uniform so how could he believe it was 'fate'? No wonder he still hasn't passed the exams...

Well then, they deserved each other. Seems SH got a son in law that are dumb just like him.. 

9 hours ago, leeza77 said:

I can't watch the stepmom scene.. She is despicable and the most evil character in this drama...what's more she is actually best friend with Auntie Kang, the equally detestable evil maniac character. I feel like slapping soundly both of them when they were gossipping at the house party. Or just ask ml to slap them for me. Ml slap is the best. The sound was crisp. The angle for her hand just high enough to give an optimum effect abd the location of slapping was exact.. Ha ha. :joy:

Yes, I like ML slap.  Whack!  I want her to slap GTY stepmom.  Her conniving ways and two faced scheming methods made me want to slap her silly.  Seems like these women has nothing better to do than resort to tears, fainting spells, small childlike voice to make themselves pitiful. Grrrrrrrrr

2 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

@gleek49 GTY and QH were equally selfish in their own ways... GTY has no right to lecture QH just as QH has no right to hold grudges on GTY.

I didn’t think their relationship was casual. Lol They grew up together as well. If it were casual QH wouldn’t be so affected the way he is towards GTY... If it were casual GTY wouldn’t try to help him with a very dangerous plan that could cause his life or his loved ones... I truly believed QH genuinely wished well for ML just as GTY wished well for QH and ML. QH never showed resentment towards Dr He (I’m sure he knows about it as news travel fast) nor did he try to break their engagement off like GTY... He just didn’t imagine it would be his uncle whom he looked up to, confided in, whom had seen the heart break he and ML went through to be that man for ML... It’s not about valuing someone’s emotions over others... It’s about valuing relationship from brother to brother.

Yes, they are both selfish in their own ways. I can sympathize with QH to a point. Yes, his feelings were hurt. However, QH and GTY are really the distant relative you see once in a while. They did not grow up together because GTY has always been in and out of the Gu household. And judging from some of the little snippets of conversation between QH’s parents, they would have avoided any relationship with GTY, if they could.  Also, in small circles like that, marrying someone who someone you know liked years ago, is common, especially in those days where most marriages were arranged. Only difference is QH can’t seem to fully move on and he would be the same if ML was married to Dr. He except there would be no way for QH to act out on his frustrations since Dr He is not a prestigious person with personal faults except the cousin concubine thing. 

My issue with QH is that he is letting it all cloud his judgement and abilities. He’s supposed to be smart but did not investigate things thoroughly with the rumors. His credibility for me as a professional who was only doing his job went out the window at that point. 

I get it, for him ML was the love of his life, however, if everyone obsessed over a lost childhood sweetheart, the world would be in chaos. For me, this is where the writers went wrong. They failed to establish the foundation for depth of QH’s love for ML which is why I have a hard time believing that it is love. From how their relationship was before to how his behavior is now, it’s seems more of an obsession. 

26 minutes ago, huahuacaocao said:

agh no eps today acc to the calendar rip my daily dose of minglan :')

I have a withdrawal syndrome tonight.. Need a dose of TSOM.. :bawling:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

Whattttttttt?  How come?  :dissapointed_relieved:

Hunan tv is broadcasting spring festival tonight.. 

46 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

GTY and ML are so cute in this. But poor QH, looks like ED is really playing on him now. It also makes me curious, if ED took over, who would be her heir? Can this somehow point to QH since QH and his mom are ones that some historical royal blood in her family (since she kinda adopted QH mom). Hmmm...more intrigue and ammo for ED to get certain people on her side for benefits??

33 minutes ago, hello210 said:

GTY and ML are so cute in this. But poor QH, looks like ED is really playing on him now. It also makes me curious, if ED took over, who would be her heir? Can this somehow point to QH since QH and his mom are ones that some historical royal blood in her family (since she kinda adopted QH mom). Hmmm...more intrigue and ammo for ED to get certain people on her side for benefits??

I don't think QH as an heir is a possibility. ED's using QH just as a pawn to make trouble in the court for GTY and those on emperors side. For ED to gain power to overthrow the emperor she will need the support of Yong wang's clan as they seemed to be the powerful enough to go against Yan wang's faction. Hence the old emperor was about to make him the crown prince. Qi family has basically no clout, as QH's mom once said. 

There was a scene in the trailer...where QH's meeting a lot of people....looking like clan elders in his house. So QH is going to join the rebellion, it seems. Maybe ED is just being greedy....and QH is being blind and deaf.... her greed and his narrow-mindedness will cost many people their lives. 

I don't understand her purpose in bringing about this chaos in the court....does she not hear that people are happy with the new emperor. Or is it because her and her supporters corruption is coming to light and thats why she wants the attention diverted to emperor's "immoral" supporters. Or was she manipulating the old emperor and the new emperor has his own mind?

26 minutes ago, dito said:

I don't think QH as an heir is a possibility. ED's using QH just as a pawn to make trouble in the court for GTY and those on emperors side. For ED to gain power to overthrow the emperor she will need the support of Yong wang's clan as they seemed to be the powerful enough to go against Yan wang's faction. Hence the old emperor was about to make him the crown prince. Qi family has basically no clout, as QH's mom once said. 

There was a scene in the trailer...where QH's meeting a lot of people....looking like clan elders in his house. So QH is going to join the rebellion, it seems. Maybe ED is just being greedy....and QH is being blind and deaf.... her greed and his narrow-mindedness will cost many people their lives. 

I don't understand her purpose in bringing about this chaos in the court....does she not hear that people are happy with the new emperor. Or is it because her and her supporters corruption is coming to light and thats why she wants the attention diverted to emperor's "immoral" supporters. Or was she manipulating the old emperor and the new emperor has his own mind?

I think you are right. She wants to keep the corruption hidden and she wants to control the power. Since the new Emperor might distance himself from her after a while, she starts the rebellion before this happens.  The new Emperor has his men, so the ED should rely on those that aren't inner circle of the Emperor but still powerful like QH's clan.And she needs to put the Emperor's men out of power.

If QH joins the rebellion, I expect a final showdown between GTY and QH.

ML has yet to realize that TY is nothing like her father. TY showers her w/ the upmost respect & love. He may been w/ multiple ladies in the past & had an unwed mistress, but even now, he has no intentions having concubines at all. ML is his one & only legitimate wife. He's made it clear, but it seems it hasn't register in her head.

QH isnt some virginal saint anymore. Hes been w/ two ladies/wives. QH idealizes ML but ML also does the same. She puts QH on a pedestal w/ a brimming halo from the get-go, since he's never been to brothels/play around. This doesnt make him a better marriage prospect/ potential partner. He's nothing but a bland virtuous lala land, a primly dolt.

QH doesnt understand ML's true nature. He wasn't willing to risk everything for her. TY said it so himself. QH waited so long to ask ML's hand in marriage even after QH's 1st wife died, when he couldve went to ML immediately. Instead, QH thought about his reputation first. 

A marriage is two souls & one body. TY is exerting so much energy in their relationship/marriage in terms  emotional weight. I'm not saying ML doesn't love TY, but he isnt someone ML has to repay back because he's kind. TY is her partner & vice versa.

Ep 49 was really good. It perfectly illustrates the slight disconnect & tension between the ML&TY. The dramatic nuance is great. It will be interesting to see how this internal conflict resolves.

Archived