Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

10 minutes ago, lolalarue said:

He has all the advantages and one day whenever he wants to he can have another woman. And another. And another. And he would be lauded for it. I can’t blame her for protecting her heart. It’s her entire life.

Yes, you nailed it. Pretty much how I felt when I saw MN. I did feel sorry for her even though she deserved it. It goes to show how a woman’s life in their time is really in the hands of the man in their life. 

@m0us3y Well said, it is why I know I am going to be so frustrated and sad when their upcoming fights happens regarding QH. 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

During various conversations between ML and Granny, Granny used to always say "As long as you understand, that's the most important."

In this case, I feel ML understands it better. 

ML may not love him the way he wants her to be. 

But it doesn't mean she doesn't love him the way she knows how.

The best she can. 

It's never easy to take a child her husband has with another woman as her own. 

She took Rong'er and treated her like her own. 

She was every step of the way with him in his search for Chang'er. 

She was his voice of reason when he loses his cool. 

She was there every step of the way for him.

She was protecting him and his reputation at every turn, with her every move. 

If someone tells me it's because it's her job and duty, she's doing one helluva fantastic job, above and beyond what's expected of any woman, really. 

It's not that she wants to push her to MN, 

It's not that she wanted to take the woman in. 

She knows how much he dotes on her, how much he protects her. 

She also knows how much everyone around them wants him dead, or down and out. 

She only wants to protect him the way she knows how. 

Her not taking in the woman might be what he wants right now, but that simply means more trouble for him when they just keeps coming non-stop. 

If he couldn't see the hurt in her eyes when he tries to make her feel jealous by saying he will stay with the new woman, clearly he's not paying attention enough. 

Having ML starting to be jealous and sad, in her mind, only gives him more trouble and worries. Why go there when it can be avoided?

If he can't see all that she's done, and he can't see her reactions with his actions, he clearly doesn't understand her very well...

He loved her because she's different from normal girls. 

Yet now he wants her to be like any other girl, fighting for his sole love and be jealous?

Talk is cheap. Anyone can tell him what he wants to hear. Action speaks louder than words. She said this to him when he last saved her. 

Yet, he can't seem to see it now...

Yes, I think both of them are not paying attention to each other enough and lack of real communication that's why there's all this misunderstanding; they need to speak their feeling truthfully, what it is that they truly want from each other rather than just talk with hints and in circle. This is good that there's this fight, so that they can better understand each other.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Isn't the guy at the polo match the one whom ML slashes with a sword in the earlier trailers?

They are different guys.

Spoiler

The guy at the Polo match is Shen Guo Jiu (empress’s younger brother) who is also general. 

I’m guessing the one ML going to slash is either one of GTY’s Bai relatives or someone from stepmom’s side. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

During various conversations between ML and Granny, Granny used to always say "As long as you understand, that's the most important."

In this case, I feel ML understands it better. 

ML may not love him the way he wants her to be. 

But it doesn't mean she doesn't love him the way she knows how.

The best she can. 

It's never easy to take a child her husband has with another woman as her own. 

She took Rong'er and treated her like her own. 

She was every step of the way with him in his search for Chang'er. 

She was his voice of reason when he loses his cool. 

She was there every step of the way for him.

She was protecting him and his reputation at every turn, with her every move. 

If someone tells me it's because it's her job and duty, she's doing one helluva fantastic job, above and beyond what's expected of any woman, really. 

It's not that she wants to push her to MN, 

It's not that she wanted to take the woman in. 

She knows how much he dotes on her, how much he protects her. 

She also knows how much everyone around them wants him dead, or down and out. 

She only wants to protect him the way she knows how. 

Her not taking in the woman might be what he wants right now, but that simply means more trouble for him when they just keeps coming non-stop. 

If he couldn't see the hurt in her eyes when he tries to make her feel jealous by saying he will stay with the new woman, clearly he's not paying attention enough. 

Having ML starting to be jealous and sad, in her mind, only gives him more trouble and worries. Why go there when it can be avoided?

If he can't see all that she's done, and he can't see her reactions with his actions, he clearly doesn't understand her very well...

He loved her because she's different from normal girls. 

Yet now he wants her to be like any other girl, fighting for his sole love and be jealous?

Talk is cheap. Anyone can tell him what he wants to hear. Action speaks louder than words. She said this to him when he last saved her. 

Yet, he can't seem to see it now...

She cant even see the hurt in him either thats pretty clear since  she keep doing the same things.

Its unfair to act like  he suppose to  notice everything when she  herself does not seem to notice how angry or sad he gets  with her suggestions  and such.

Like I said just because she does not mean something does not make it less hurtful to him,this happen many times

now.We cant just ignore is perspective in all of this and just see it from hers

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2

@cherubstomato

I watched the latest episodes raw. 

My heart just broke for her. 

She had a bad day at home with her own dad blatantly showing favouritism and on the brink of hitting her, and she came back to yet another one pushing for a woman for GTY. 

Yet, for the sake of his reputation, she still took the woman in, with a smile, because she feels her husband had enough to deal with at work for her to give him more to worry about. 

That night, GTY thought it would be good to push her for a reaction by staying the night with the woman...

The girl can't get a break!

• Like 4
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

@cherubstomato

She had a bad day at home with her own dad blatantly showing favouritism and on the brink of hitting her, and she came back to yet another one pushing for a woman for GTY. 

Yet, for the sake of his reputation, she still took the woman in, with a smile, because she feels her husband had enough to deal with at work for her to give him more to worry about. 

That night, GTY thought it would be good to push her for a reaction by staying the night with the woman...

For someone who's so astute and scheming I really don't understand why GTY is so blind to what he's doing to his wife. I would have thought he'd be smarter than this. She works so hard to be a good wife to him and I feel like he wants the kind of doting that Manniang (and Concubine Lin with Sheng Hong) "acted" out. We know they were both acting and Concubine Lin even admitted it. But Minglan has even said, he would know she was faking it, so what would be the point. I get he wants it to be real, but for it to be real he has to soothe the parts of her that can't give what he wants yet. He has to convince her. And that means explaining to her and promising her and then showing her what she needs to love him the way he needs. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

@cherubstomato

Agreed with you. Ml was attacked left and right. She has too many on her plate right now for her to sit still and analysed her feeling towards gty. If what she did now were not consider as cherishing him, i dunno what else she can do. Did gty expect her to cry and throw jealousy tantrums everytime someone want to gift  concubines to gty to show her love? Or inverstigate every woman that gty had slept with? Or scold him in front if her maids, screaming at him like what danniang did, bawling her eyes like linniang did.. That's not her character. 

What she did is defending his honor everytime someone try to insult him, protecting his home from his stepmother machination even she went ti extra length and outwitted the empress dowager for him. 

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

She cant even see the hurt in him either thats pretty clear since  she keep doing the same things.

Its unfair to act like  he suppose to  notice everything when she  herself does not seem to notice how angry or sad he gets  with her suggestions  and such.

Like I said just because she does not mean something does not make it less hurtful to him,this happen many times now.

Actually she can, but she simply doesn't understand why he would be...this is the part I agree she is a lil dense. Because U can see that she knows he's mad, and would try to pacify him...

To her, she's trying to help him solve the problems, find his son, reduce his troubles and worries.. 

Like another chingu said, every husband would want a wife who's virtuous and accept the other women of his.

GTY is, in this aspect, way more progressive than that of the era. 

I do agree with @fancia though. Just go to the point, and stop talking in circles and hints!

Difference is this. One is unable to see with her rational mind, the other is trying to invoke a reaction with action, intentionally...

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, lolalarue said:

For someone who's so astute and scheming I really don't understand why GTY is so blind to what he's doing to his wife. I would have thought he'd be smarter than this. She works so hard to be a good wife to him and I feel like he wants the kind of doting that Manniang (and Concubine Lin with Sheng Hong) "acted" out. We know they were both acting and Concubine Lin even admitted it. But Minglan has even said, he would know she was faking it, so what would be the point. I get he wants it to be real, but for it to be real he has to soothe the parts of her that can't give what he wants yet. He has to convince her. And that means explaining to her and promising her and then showing her what she needs to love him the way he needs. 

I dont get this when she just as blind  as what she is doing to her  husband again I dont get this one sided thing going on.

You think what she doing isnt hurtful to him as well?I dont get this really this was no small matters at all.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Agreed with you. Ml was attacked left and right. She has too many on her plate right now for her to sit still and analysed her feeling towards gty. If what she did now were not consider as cherishing him, i dunno what else she can do. Did gty expect her to cry and throw jealousy tantrums everytime someone want to gift  concubines to gty to show her love? Or inverstigate every woman that gty had slept with? Or scold him in front if her maids, screaming at him like what danniang did, bawling her eyes like linniang did.. That's not her character. 

What she did is defending his honor everytime someone try to insult him, protecting his home from his stepmother machination even she went ti extra length and outwitted the empress dowager for him. 

I don’t think he wants that. He likes her the way she is. He wants the certainty that whatever she does for him it is because of feelings for him and not because she would the same for anybody.

i find telling when he distinguished between guaren and Erlang.

It’s childish and silly the way he tries but I guess he doesn’t know what to do. And more his feelings get deeper, more he wants to know hers. This is a guy that has never been loved so his need is clear.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

I dont get this when she just as blind  as what she is doing to her  husband again I dont get this one sided thing going on.

You think what she doing isnt hurtful to him as well?I dont get this really this was no small matters at all.

I do understand where you're coming from, but I see a lot of posters berating ML for her behaviour and saying how much they admire GTY. And I suspect it's because by modern standards GTY is being a romantic hero and Minglan is being backwards. But by the standards of the time the show is set in, Minglan is going above and beyond. None of what GTY promised her (easy life) when he schemed his way to marry her has come true (let's not forget she had very little choice - when he talked to her about marrying him, he wasn't promising love and faithfulness but a marriage of equals). She has given him as much as she can (so far), she's scheming for the team, she cares for him, she takes care of his children, she sticks to the rules of a good wife in their society. I don't blame her for not giving her heart to him because he hasn't asked for it yet. Has he said he loves her? Has he said he won't ever have another woman? She has already explained (and he heard) that loving him and expecting faithfulness is a recipe for an unhappy life. He's never had a conversation with her about it. She's just supposed to work it out and decide its worth the risk? Even when it's not even something he's promised? I honestly don't understand why there's not a lot of sympathy for her here. What man in Minglan's world only has one woman for the rest of their life? She's not thinking about the next month, she's thinking about the next 50 years. If she loves him the way he wants, what happens in 5 years, 10, 15, 20. She has no reason to ever think he wouldn't have another woman. There are literally no powerful men with only one wife. She's worried about her heart, when the inevitable happens - and it could be waaaaay into the future, but it would still kill her (because only we the audience trusts that GTY would be faithful to her forever). 

12 minutes ago, fra8 said:

It’s childish and silly the way he tries but I guess he doesn’t know what to do. And more is feelings get deeper, more he wants to know hers. He 

I hate the insistence on Erlang because Maniang kept using it in the coaxing tone that we know is fake (but GTY really wants to be real from Minglan). It just creeps me out. 

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

There's no point in replying no more. People will literally dig up everything from the bottom and make their own theories and twists words and actions to talk about and to try to prove whatever they're trying to prove. 

I'm not quoting you now for the below texts, idk how to do that

Now we just wait for their fight and for them to come to an understanding of each other and be a happy family. I really like them together and i still hope we can see them being lovely together with Ronger and their baby. I dont want to keep feel like their relationship is failing and i dont want anyone to have this dislike feeling in them. There's always ups and down in a relationship. We supported them and thought they were so adorable when all these haven't happen yet so we should also do the same when they are going in the dark path. We can stop talking badly about them now, both of them have their own reason to be feeling the way they are feeling. Let just support them both and hope for the best of them :D

If people still want to talk bad about one of them just ignore them and let them because stay bothered then.

Just because some people hate on GTY doesnt mean we should do the same thing back and hate on ML. Or just because some people hate on ML doesnt mean we should hate on GTY.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

tumblr_plo1kuvQT71qcioylo2_400.giftumblr_plo1kuvQT71qcioylo1_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_plo1kuvQT71qcioylo3_400.giftumblr_plo1kuvQT71qcioylo4_400.gif

tumblr_plo1kuvQT71qcioylo5_400.giftumblr_plo1kuvQT71qcioylo6_400.gif

tumblr_plo1kuvQT71qcioylo7_400.giftumblr_plo1kuvQT71qcioylo8_400.gif

“This is heaven’s will, letting two people with hard lives like us become husband and wife. As long as the two of us have the same heart and morality, no matter how hard the storms that will come to us in the future, we can survive it together.”

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I don't think anyone of us hate gty or ml. I'm rooting for them. It just a discussion on their character at this point of time. I know things will change and they will have their happiness. It just a friendly discussion where we can state our opinion freely, without insulting others. 

• Like 10

Just now, leeza77 said:

I don't think anyone of us hate gty or ml. I'm rooting for them. It just a discussion on their character at this point of time. I know things will change and they will have their happiness. It just a friendly discussion where we can state our opinion freely, without insulting others. 

Agreed. 

I also want to say that I don't hate GTY at all. In fact I can't wait for him to convince Minglan to open up. Still I'm not frustrated with Minglan, I think she's doing her best. I understand that it frustrates the audience and GTY but I don't fault her for her actions. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, fra8 said:

I don’t think he wants that. He likes her the way she is. He wants the certainty that whatever she does for him it is because of feelings for him and not because she would the same for anybody.

It’s childish and silly the way he tries but I guess he doesn’t know what to do. And more his feelings get deeper, more he wants to know hers. This is a guy that has never been loved so his need is clear.

Thank you. My gut feeling is that's the root cause of it too. We'll see. 

After all, he did sorta con her into the marriage, with limited options. 

And as he falls for her deeper, he wants to know what she feels, not merely what she thinks. 

But rather than actually sitting down and have a heart to heart talk, he's been beating around the bush. 

Doesn't help that they have also been on perpetual battles with everyone since the day after they marry. 

Stepmom, 4th aunt, 5th aunt, GTY's brother, servant spies, farm managers, empress dowager, Bai family, crazy Manniang, QH, QH's wife, Aunty Kang, the elder that gifted GTY his new "woman"... (:huh: the list is longer than I thought!)

He's capable of getting her to speak her mind, and opening up to him. He's seen the side of her that not many has, he's seen the side of her that no one has. 

Wanting her to be jealous seems like a symptom, not the underlying problem. 

But until he tells her, she's only left to guess...

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, fra8 said:

I am surprise he was so willing to love again and so soon too.I guess he seen how really special she was and wasn't going to let her go.

He does love with all of his heart thats for sure.

• Like 5
  • Love 1