[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

15 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Wow.. ML is so dumb about the matters of the heart.. Before I thought she was just pretending or maybe deceiving herself.. But she is really dumb about all these love things.. Omg i really wish someone gives her a one on one lesson about love and marriage.. Truly she is seeing these as official thing about duty, ML ah ML let's be more vast.. I think this is actually past the Era, it's more of ML not knowing what her husband wants or what she wants.. 

For me this problem has gotten way past the difference between men and women of that Era, it has gotten way past what her resolutions to life is, it has gotten way past what the world thinks, the problem is about the happiness of their family.. The husband she is trying hard to be a dutiful woman has told her what he wants, the house she is trying to make peace for is now on the verge of being in disorder, no man can be trusted, yes, but no one lives their life guarding against the one  man that is legally yours, anything can happen in the future, yes, but no one forgets about the joy of the present.. And all this is true and even though, the Era dictates these things as legal, this man has shown you time without number that unless there is an 100 percent reason for that, he will stand by you.. For me I do not need to love him back 100 percent but I still will love him as much as do myself.. ML needs to learn and let go of her discord with her heart.. It's that Era as an excuse is surely not the best way to go, the problem is ML's heart and supposed survival stints. Not the Era, not what the future brings, not if a man's love will change, these are not the problems.. The problem is what she has kept at her brain 

It's like an official terms for husband.. It's more like a distance term and not like an intimate one like Erlang.. It's more like addressing your boss

Omggg thisss!!! I soo agree with you. Everytime people say "well in this era..." something about era i always think its an excuses like you mentioned. I love how you wrote this and agree to all. Thank you for your explanation. I am truely dissappointed at ML.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh, i'm sorta getting weary of GTY wanting ML to start loving and trusting him as a man and her husband..and with ML feeling insecure and maybe doesn't know what love really and truly is then y push her?, it's not like they got married due to love in the first place and he knew bcos he'd overheard her talking to her maid about her insecurities with her future and being cautious, y not let it rests and just go with the flow?..they got a whole lot of future as husband and wife together to teach her more about love and to trust in him, she will come around eventually...and i often wondered, if this was QH as her husband and she had some feelings for him before, would she had given him the love like how GTY is desperately seeking from her?

17 minutes ago, m0us3y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I could be the odd ball here. But I actually found the translation funny (haven't watched the extended preview). 

So while we were thinking of this and that, she's actually just THAT dense about love?? :lol:

Actually, didn't they have that conversation already? Not the last bit of having no heart. But the fact that no matter what men do, they can always make a comeback. Women, on the other hand, never had that luxury. Their reputation is pretty much everything, their world confined...

:joy:.. That conversation was so funny..ML is just dense at love.and she is just trying to excuse that with her smartness, talking about reputation, when we know ML doesn't care about that.. One thing is she is still hurt about her childhood experience, yes, but at this point she is just forcing herself to see GTY that way when she truly knows he is different, no one knows what we will be in the future, but at least we cherish our present.. That's the bottom line.. ML might be smart about everything but when it comes to love, she has long removed that teaching from her heart and when she needs to know what love holds, she is just dense about it. That's it. :lol:.. What ML needs to learn is cherish those who are beside her and not judging them based on the matters of the attitude of the same sex, somehow ML is broadminded but she is also narrow-minded.. 

What did gty wants actually when he said those words. He accused ml as not cherishing her. Then, how to cherish him. Did ml care about him, be with him during the crisis, helping him with his daughter (wh not many woman can do that), worried about him whe he was injured, feel the sorrow with him when his brother pressured him to help the cousin. Ml might not tell him about her feeling bcoz she didn't yet realize her feeling towards him, but all the things she had done show her love and affection towards him. The have just married and so many things occured in their life. Ml was thrown into the chaos of gty's world with evil stepmom, aunties, empress dowager and manniang. She doesn't even have a breather for herself to analyse her feeling. 

Gty claim to know her well.. Then, be patient. Do not pressure her to declare her love. The love is in her heart. She will come around to do it in time. 

12 minutes ago, jewelsc said:

Tbh, i'm sorta getting weary of GTY wanting ML to start loving and trusting him as a man and her husband..and with ML feeling insecure and maybe doesn't know what love really and truly is then y push her?, it's not like they got married due to love in the first place and he knew bcos he'd overheard her talking to her maid about her insecurities with her future and being cautious, y not let it rests and just go with the flow?..they got a whole lot of future as husband and wife together to teach her more about love and to trust in him, she will come around eventually...and i often wondered, if this was QH as her husband and she had some feelings for him before, would she had given him the love like how GTY is desperately seeking from her?

I dont think so, I think ml would have been more on guard. At least with gty she’s honest about her role as a wife. With qh, she’s just put up a facade and assume the virtuous role, with qh happily going with it. 

@leeza77 I both agree and disagree. ML has more or less built a psychological shell around her heart. Unless it's something drastic she won't break out of it cause of safety reasons. Such things happens in modern day also. ML has gotten comfortable in her shell, so i don't think anything will change otherwise.

6 minutes ago, jewelsc said:

I don't feel weary at all, I'm even glad she got a husband that requests her love from her.. Just like how I feel sad for Qh's wife got married to a husband who doesn't request her love, I'm glad GTY is that man who requests her love. They might have not gotten married because of love but a wife having an husband who requests for her love is something I'm so grateful for.. She will never come around if she doesn't get pushed, that's the fact about ML because if she doesn't get pushed, she will keep thinking that's what her husband wants and he is satisfied with the way she acts as a virtuos wife, for someone who closes her feelings because she believes people can change and the future is unknown, she will never come around if someone doesn't make her know her lows.. And if GTY actually doesn't push her for love, she will further believe that he doesn't really love her after all and all what she thinks about men are the same.. So I'm glad GTY is finally showing her his angry side towards her behavior.. He had actually tried hard himself to endure and give her time but when she advised QH that he should cherish the peipl beside him, GTY must have been like, she knows this and why is she not doing it herself, if she thinks what she is doing is cherishing, the she is so wrong and I think I have to let her know it's not cherishing at all but just a pure 'let's just live somehow' behavior.. So I'm more than glad he lives her enough to make her realize her shortcomings, and also enough to push her and get angry at her.. If my husband accepts everything I do and doesn't even care enough to correct me or talk through with me, then I don't want that husband.. 

4 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

I don't feel weary at all, I'm even glad she got a husband that requests her love from her.. Just like how I feel sad for Qh's wife got married to a husband who doesn't request her love, I'm glad GTY is that man who requests her love. They might have not gotten married because of love but a wife having an husband who requests for her love is something I'm so grateful for.. She will never come around if she doesn't get pushed, that's the fact about ML because if she doesn't get pushed, she will keep thinking that's what her husband wants and he is satisfied with the way she acts as a virtuos wife, for someone who closes her feelings because she believes people can change and the future is unknown, she will never come around if someone doesn't make her know her lows.. And if GTY actually doesn't push her for love, she will further believe that he doesn't really love her after all and all what she thinks about men are the same.. So I'm glad GTY is finally showing her his angry side towards her behavior.. He had actually tried hard himself to endure and give her time but when she advised QH that he should cherish the peipl beside him, GTY must have been like, she knows this and why is she not doing it herself, if she thinks what she is doing is cherishing, the she is so wrong and I think I have to let her know it's not cherishing at all but just a pure 'let's just live somehow' behavior.. So I'm more than glad he lives her enough to make her realize her shortcomings, and also enough to push her and get angry at her.. If my husband accepts everything I do and doesn't even care enough to correct me or talk through with me, then I don't want that husband.. 

Well said :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

What did gty wants actually when he said those words. He accused ml as not cherishing her. Then, how to cherish him. Did ml care about him, be with him during the crisis, helping him with his daughter (wh not many woman can do that), worried about him whe he was injured, feel the sorrow with him when his brother pressured him to help the cousin. Ml might not tell him about her feeling bcoz she didn't yet realize her feeling towards him, but all the things she had done show her love and affection towards him. The have just married and so many things occured in their life. Ml was thrown into the chaos of gty's world with evil stepmom, aunties, empress dowager and manniang. She doesn't even have a breather for herself to analyse her feeling. 

Gty claim to know her well.. Then, be patient. Do not pressure her to declare her love. The love is in her heart. She will come around to do it in time. 

She will never come around and even if she does love him, her actions speak of her doing things of duty for her boss, than of her doing things for the one she loves truly, we are just trying to put it in more perfect words for ML.. She will never come around and she will even gets so comfortable thinking she is the best wife or everything she does is right, for the things of official like taking care of the house, being so understanding of her husband's house, creating peace is more like she is just being a Manger or security and that's what ML regards as a perfect wife, which is just 50% of a wife's duty but she sees it as 100%,which is wrong.. So not arguing with her and giving her time, will never make her understand or make her come around because it will seem as if the husband is OK with it and she will just keep it up like that without seeing any fault to change at all.. So being pushed is the best for ML to realize that she still gets some heart to feel to become the perfect wife she wants to be, her feeling something openly might make her imperfect or make her make mistakes, but to any loving husband, that's the perfect wife they need.. And that's the perfect wife a house demands 

2 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Agree with u. Love that gty keep trying to win her love. But pls do not accuse her of not cherishing him. She cherishes him in her own way, the only way she was taught and believe that time. Mn claim she love gty but then disloyal and lying to him. Whilst ml did not proclaim any love for him but she is loyal to him and goes beyond his duty as a wife to stand beside him. 

9 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

I dont think so, I think ml would have been more on guard. At least with gty she’s honest about her role as a wife. With qh, she’s just put up a facade and assume the virtuous role, with qh happily going with it. 

She will never be free with QH or will she ever be so understanding of what she is as a wife, she will just be virtuous and still be the calm and careful ML walking on a corner full with shell in her own matrimonial house.. Because Truly ML did not have a sincere and awesome love feelings for QH, she just had an ideal feelings for him because like other girls too, she was just in love with the ideal beautiful and pure QH.. So she will never be so free at heart with him, she is even more free at heart with GTY, even though, it's not fully free than she will ever be with QH.. And QH will just be that dumb husband who is happy with whatever she does. So I might like QH as a boyfriend, but definitely not as a husband.. 

3 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Agree with u. Love that gty keep trying to win her love. But pls do not accuse her of not cherishing him. She cherishes him in her own way, the only way she was taught and believe that time. Mn claim she love gty but then disloyal and lying to him. Whilst ml did not proclaim any love for him but she is loyal to him and goes beyond his duty as a wife to stand beside him. 

I know she cherishes him a lot a lot, even more than GTY does to her, but I think the only thing GTY and maybe us, if I understand the script, is for her to accept it to herself, she views her cherish as a duty she must fulfill more than as what a lady to feel for her man.. So rather than say she should cherish him, I will say she should not use any defense of Era, woman - men differences, future, or even her experiences to blind herself from what she feels, thinking she is doing the absolute best thing ever.. I think it's more about ML's openness about the things in heart than her brain that GTY or the script wants from her, because the script knows she loves him and the script through GTY's push wants her to accept it that she does.. I'm so excited for this journey of love acceptance.. 

Wow! I loved the throwing away the chopsticks. Everyone in that table is shocked at the show of temper. Gu Ting Ye came and scolded them all that they dared abused his wife's good will of protecting the Sheng family reputation. Ming Lan's father can just gasped out short "coughs".

Molan had just open up a whole can of worms when she syeppwd on the tiger's tail.as Ming Lan outright said that Molan and her mother planned out the  whole "seduction" and it was seconded by Ruolan.

Ming Lan had build this whole "fortress" of defense against public opinion that it so much a part of her, she cannot let go. Gu Ting Ye offered her a whole freedom to be her own woman is really new to her.

While a person lives, he would only want a peaceful heart.

If one’s heart is at ease, the world would be quiet and wonderful.

But if he as grudge and hatred in his heart,

even if the sun is shining high up and there is a gentle breeze blowing across one’s face,

that blade that’s slicing his heart will not stop.

ML was on point with these words. Grudge and hatred is one of the ugly sides of human nature. We will all experience it at some point but we must not let it take control over us nor consume us. Or we might take for granted the good things we have in our life and fail to notice the people that matter to us that may be afflicted by us. 

I don’t know if GTY realizes how much strength and support ML gives to him. And how much she tries her best. At this point I think GTY is being a little bit overbearing with his needs. Sure, he wants her to show more of her weaknesses, the side of her that no body see. The real side of her if revealed people can find a way to harm her. He wants to see her act madly in love with him. Give her all to him. Maybe he knows she does so much for him and he wants to have something that he can do for her as well. But dude, take a chill pill. ML already have soo much to deal with how can she have time to think about other things at this point. I understand though that in their up coming fight it’ll be a chance for GTY to learn to appreciate ML more. Hopefully, I don’t know how it goes yet since I’m only in episode 49. Haha 

Eldest brother Gu is quite pitiful, his death scene was very sad. But he made the right decision to leave his wife and daughter in the care of GTY and ML. 

TY & ML's wedding night is hilarious & sweet. TY's oath to ML is precious. He really treasures her so much. I love that their relationship is built on trust & honesty. I'm happy that TY& ML can live separately from the Gu house. The stepmom & her family are the worst. I get anxious seeing them tearing ML down, but ML is smart & capable as always. I like that she can depend on TY but also be her own character & prop herself up.

It's great that TY is so upfront about his past history/assets to ML, so that she can feel reassured. They both are self-sufficient but also reliable to eachother. 

The development between TY & ML has been really good & so fun to watch. Cute/powerful couple. It's funny when TY ask ML if she learned battle/tactical warfare before since she's so intelligent. TY fighting battles at the front, ML fighting battles at home, & everywhere in between. It's going to a wild ride for these two. They are so adorable & fierce together.

1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

While a person lives, he would only want a peaceful heart.

If one’s heart is at ease, the world would be quiet and wonderful.

But if he as grudge and hatred in his heart,

even if the sun is shining high up and there is a gentle breeze blowing across one’s face,

that blade that’s slicing his heart will not stop.

ML was on point with these words. Grudge and hatred is one of the ugly sides of human nature. We will all experience it at some point but we must not let it take control over us nor consume us. Or we might take for granted the good things we have in our life and fail to notice the people that matter to us that may be afflicted by us. 

I don’t know if GTY realizes how much strength and support ML gives to him. And how much she tries her best. At this point I think GTY is being a little bit overbearing with his needs. Sure, he wants her to show more of her weaknesses, the side of her that no body see. The real side of her if revealed people can find a way to harm her. He wants to see her act madly in love with him. Give her all to him. Maybe he knows she does so much for him and he wants to have something that he can do for her as well. But dude, take a chill pill. ML already have soo much to deal with how can she have time to think about other things at this point. I understand though that in their up coming fight it’ll be a chance for GTY to learn to appreciate ML more. Hopefully, I don’t know how it goes yet since I’m only in episode 49. Haha 

Eldest brother Gu is quite pitiful, his death scene was very sad. But he made the right decision to leave his wife and daughter in the care of GTY and ML. 

Hmm.. We are all right and wrong, the matters of the heart is always complicated.. I hope ML can understand what GTY wants and I also hope GTY will be more understanding of what ML is driving at.. They both love each other and supports each other.. So I hope they both realizes what they mean to each other sooner, GTY can push ML to show her feelings, because he knows her weak side she is not showing, he just wants to help her accept her weakness which I appreciate, ML can also try to open more not just for GTY but for herself too. Human must learn to accept their all, both weak and strong for the sake of themselves, and also show their weaknesses to the person beside them, let them know your fears and not just your strength, so they can have a full view of what you are, that's the true peace one can have.. And ML also has the right to keep her feelings bolted if she doesn't trust the future enough, but humans might not even have a future, the today might have been the present, past and future of that person. ML is smart and she knows that future is in no way clear.. So I hope while she is trying to pave way for the future and also trying not to show her weakness as a human, she doesn't hurt those that are truly beside her and the one person that can stay with her forever, I hope she doesn't estrange them unknowingly while she is trying to keep make her strong self her all.. So we can't blame either of the 2 for their actions, we can only reason with them and hope they come to a balanced view of what they love and cherish.. ML x GTY, let's try to get ourselves better.. 

3 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Gty is the only husband that hope his wife is a jealous woman.. While all tge husband in the world pray for a non jealous understanding wife.. Ha ha:D (don't kill me) 

It's because he is a man that believes in know the true color of the one he loves, if ML was a jealous lady, he will want her to be virtuous inclusive, she is virtuous now, so he wants her to show her other side, there are always tow sides to himanfolks.. So GTY is all about being true to yourself, praise your excellent side and accept your weaker side, that's the right way to live, no matter the Era or the person.. And he has also seen what kind of women that pretends to be virtuous are, step mom is one, stupid MN is the other, and even though he knows ML is not pretentious like them, and not using her virtuous self to cover for her bad doings, she also thinks like other women the city who believes acting virtously and being like a perfect person, which is not, is the best way to live.. Just know your true self and don't cover for a perfect side to him 

11 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Gty is the only husband that hope his wife is a jealous woman.. While all tge husband in the world pray for a non jealous understanding wife.. Ha ha:D (don't kill me) 

Yeah it’s cute and all but when I read that he does things to try to make her jealous makes me a little pissed off. Lol he can tease her like how he did telling her stories of man cheating etc. but if he diliberately will do something to make her jealous it’s quite pitiful. 

Arousing jealousy on someone just so you can see if they care for you can cause mistrust, anxiety, and insecurity if ML takes it seriously. GTY is just backtracking rather then progressing in their relationship if so... Jealousy is one of those sharp blade slicing through one’s heart. I hope he figures out another way to understand ML more instead of this childish method.

Granted a healthy relationship needs to have healthy arguments here and there which they do have. And I see ML sometimes have a temper in front of GTY and likewise but matters of the heart for example enticing jealousy is something that one shouldn’t mess with. It seems that GTY needs a lot of reassurance of MLs heart then he should just ask her straight, do you love me?

Since I haven’t watch those episodes I’ll just wait and see. 

Ha ha.. I think ml did feel the jealousy. When she wake up, she turned her body from the darling second, and took the darling's hand from her body. That small thing is the indication that she was angry. 

I noticed that when gty sneaked into ml's bed in the middle of the night, gty pillow ml head with his left arm and ml hug his darling second. And they slept like that until morning. This just show, ml in her unconscious state actually lovey dovey with her darling. Ha ha

Archived