Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

A lot of characters in the drama have been greatly changed compared with the novel, both in personality and plot line. While I understand the changes, added interactions etc are mainly for greater drama effect, but I don't quite like the exaggeration of some characters, their arcs feel forced and unnatural. Take QH's wife for example, in the novel she also feels jealousy and attempts to hurt ML's feelings but all done in a subtler way, under the disguise of a elegant lady. In the drama she spread the rumor to GTY's aunt, implying ML played tricks in marrying GTY. At that time, woman's reputation was everything, rumors like that could cause husband to divorce his wife. With a bad reputation a woman could hardly marry again, thus her life ruined. It's really not something one could talk so casually. Drama Shen Shi (QH's wife) was then turned into a more spiteful, richard simmons character.

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Gty tried to make ml jealous, alas his plan backfired. Ml left him with his concubine and seek her bed alone and sleep soundly.. :lol:

This makes me sad for GTY. He is so desperate for her to show she cares/loves him but she is so convincing in her indifference. I cannot imagine how she slept soundly ...

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Gty tried to make ml jealous, alas his plan backfired. Ml left him with his concubine and seek her bed alone and sleep soundly.. :lol:

Even though people might hate this personally i love it shes so stubborn that it's quite funny , he keeps trying to get a reaction in the silliest way's.

21 minutes ago, shem1 said:

I thought GTY would never take in a concubine???? 

Sometimes its out of his control.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, selen4ever said:

This makes me sad for GTY. He is so desperate for her to show she cares/loves him but she is so convincing in her indifference. I cannot imagine how she slept soundly ...

Me too. I get her POV, I really do but I feel for him. He has never been loved and he craves for love. At least she has her granny but he had nobody.

however it is funny the way he tries. And I guess his way of dealing with her is what she needs

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, matrim said:

A lot of characters in the drama have been greatly changed compared with the novel, both in personality and plot line. While I understand the changes, added interactions etc are mainly for greater drama effect, but I don't quite like the exaggeration of some characters, their arcs feel forced and unnatural. Take QH's wife for example, in the novel she also feels jealousy and attempts to hurt ML's feelings but all done in a subtler way, under the disguise of a elegant lady. In the drama she spread the rumor to GTY's aunt, implying ML played tricks in marrying GTY. At that time, woman's reputation was everything, rumors like that could cause husband to divorce his wife. With a bad reputation a woman could hardly marry again, thus her life ruined. It's really not something one could talk so casually. Drama Shen Shi (QH's wife) was then turned into a more spiteful, richard simmons character.

I mean the book sounds boring to me.. in my view the Show has improved most aspects compared to the book. People also need to remember that the book is ML's point of view while the show completely different in that aspect.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, shem1 said:

I thought GTY would never take in a concubine???? 

It is given by his aunt and ML agrees before GTY has any say; he is also surprised and a bit angry that ML agrees to it so fast and easily. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Even though people might hate this personally i love it shes so stubborn that it's quite funny , he keeps trying to get a reaction in the silliest way's.

Sometimes its out of his control.

I too like this change of event @ForgottenSoulx.... ML needs to realize she is pushing him away. I understand her feelings and fear but damn.  I find it really cute for him to try to get a reaction from her. Lol lol 

@fra8Isn’t cute how hard he tries. He even looks cute when he is jealous. :wub::wub:

• Like 8
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, UnniSarah said:

I too like this change of event @ForgottenSoulx.... ML needs to realize she is pushing him away. I understand her feelings and fear but damn.  I find it really cute for him to try to get a reaction from her. Lol lol 

I think she tries hard because she feels it’s hard to keep her distance. It’s like she is also trying to convince herself. She probably sees her resolve waning.

• Like 6

Constant indifference can indeed be pretty hurtful to someone, not to mention the whole columbine being force on to him  and his wife agreed to it.

That is just going o slowly eat away at him and for good reason.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

I don't think ml slept soundly. She was tossing a bit but I watched the episode raw and do not know a lick of language so I was reading the acting.

• Like 8
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, jxs86 said:

I don't think ml slept soundly. She was tossing a bit but I watched the episode raw and do not know a lick of language so I was reading the acting.

Where did you watch the episode and which episode was it?? 

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole concubine thing. As long as he doesn't give her the time of day, I can be at peace with it...but I generally find it quite hard to watch when things like this happen.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:

I no longer find how he tried to make ML jealous cute no more. At this point he's already hurted too much that's not even cute to see him try anymore. Sigh..

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

18 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

I no longer find how he tried to make ML jealous cute no more. At this point he's already hurted too much that's not even cute to see him try anymore. Sigh..

Same, it’s like ML ate the unfeeling pill that Jin Min had

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

While I do think he is right at getting mad and he needs to put his frustration on the table, I can’t blame ml.  She behaves the way she was taught and thinks it’s right according to her times and situation. Gty wants a modern wedding with equality, fidelity and romantic feelings, but it’s strange for the times. 

I also think gty can afford his feelings and need for love, her basic need has always been safety since she was a child seeing her mother die. 

That being said I want him mad.

• Like 8

Most of you are thinking GTY loves her a lot. Why Milan cannot understand? Which ever period it maybe, whether it is 21st Century or that period, as a wife, how can you love 100% to a husband who already had 2 children and loves them a lot. There is a saying, if a man loves a children that means, he still loves the mother of those children. 

After Minlan married him, she has a very hard time mentally. A lot of burden on her shoulder while she is still very young. Concubines, daughter and son from another woman, snobbish relatives, unwanted servants etc. in reality love alone cannot survive. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, matrim said:

Drama Shen Shi did ONE bad thing to ML, and we've never seen her said or do remotely anything (good or bad) to ML ever since, it wasn't really far off from her novel self. Plus, it's been revealed in the most recent ep, when Shen Shi was talking to ML, it seems like she has been hearing bad things about ML from Molan, so it means that Shen Shi has been seeing ML in a bad light (rumors with QH and rumors orchestrated by GTY's stepmother definitely did not help), she probably didn't see that ONE bad thing she did was spiteful. Plus, in that conversation, it seemed like ML(bless her) was able to make peace with her, so she isn't entirely unreasonable, a lot more mature than her own husband.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Amy Joy Hendricks said:

Where did you watch the episode and which episode was it?? 

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole concubine thing. As long as he doesn't give her the time of day, I can be at peace with it...but I generally find it quite hard to watch when things like this happen.

I found it on Dramafever.live. It was ep 52. He doesn't give her the time of day but the episode ends to me at a good part!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, callshu said:

There is a saying, if a man loves a children that means, he still loves the mother of those children. 

I'm sorry but I really hate that saying cause it basically also says that a man will stop loving his own children if he stops loving their mother. This is very unjust and insulting to fathers. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1